Every time I visit my parents my dad shows me a new app on his iPhone. The next time I visit, the app isn't in use.

It's just the neatness of "look what I can do." But I've found most of the apps on iPhone are just time killers or neat for the moment.

All the useful apps are available on BlackBerry as well.
    jamesbondOO7, kbz1960 and bigbmc26 like this.
    04-30-12 06:54 AM
    to be honest i find the idea of aps a bit worrying..do we really want a culture where everything needs an app to gain access? Imagine buying a car you can only use if you buy someones third party "APP". i want to drive into town...you cant ..you need an app for that.
    James berners lee wouldnt like it im sure.
    bigbmc26 likes this.
    04-30-12 06:58 AM
    tim i mean
    04-30-12 07:01 AM
    sorry.. i was being grumpy, my point was this is old news. And most of the apps he mentioned are avaliable ,facebook, youtube, g mail etc.
    I have said this before but in my opinion QNX is a bit more pleasing to use than Android. The main problem is that I would really hate to lose even just a single app with a potential switch.

I could most likely jump between Android and iOS with zero problems but would seriously be lacking if i decided on a QNX/BB10 device next.
    04-30-12 07:01 AM
    Every time I visit my parents my dad shows me a new app on his iPhone. The next time I visit, the app isn't in use.

It's just the neatness of "look what I can do." But I've found most of the apps on iPhone are just time killers or neat for the moment.

All the useful apps are available on BlackBerry as well.
    Sure, I also have some flair of the month apps that constantly get switched out. I definitely cannot go without Skype, Netflix, Google Wallet, YouTube, Facebook and with Friends games however.
    04-30-12 07:07 AM
    Apps came into existence as a means of compensating for weaknesses in the iOS platform but thanks to Steve Jobs marketing genius he was able to parlee a weakness into a strength, a major revenue stream and a competitive advantage.

It is not possible to overstate Jobs marketing genius which brought Apple from near death to the most valuable company in history.

For those who believe marketing doesn't create success, there is a reason companies spend BILLIONS of dollars a year worldwide on it.
    kbz1960, Spencerdl and bigbmc26 like this.
    04-30-12 07:10 AM
    The apps have been covered on this subject.

Why no calling out of all these self-proclaimed Apple spokespeople and their amazingly pretentious angle at mediocrity?!
    04-30-12 07:12 AM
    Apps came into existence as a means of compensating for weaknesses in the iOS platform but thanks to Steve Jobs marketing genius he was able to parlee a weakness into a strength, a major revenue stream and a competitive advantage.

It is not possible to overstate Jobs marketing genius which brought Apple from near death to the most valuable company in history.

For those who believe marketing doesn't create success, there is a reason companies spend BILLIONS of dollars a year worldwide on it.
    Well, currently apps are the fastest way to perform a task on a mobile device. Without apps, consumers won't switch.
    04-30-12 07:14 AM
    Skype and Netflix I used to have on my Android too. I realized that I never used them there. I use them on my laptop. The Skype on a phone was cool to have and I can see how it would be useful. As far as Netflix there's too many alternative to worry about that. Better alternatives.

All those other apps are either available on BlackBerry using an app, browser or there is an alternative that is just as good or better.

I found when I got my Android I went app crazy. Then I slowly deleted the ones I didn't use too often. I was left with the same apps I had on my BlackBerry. A few extra that BlackBerry had built in.

I'm still not sure I would use Skype on my PlayBook. The laptop is just better suited. Then again I don't use Skype every day or even more than once every 6 months.

With the exception of Google Wallet everything you mention is for entertainment. I do agree that the iPhone or Android is better suited for entertainment. BlackBerry for communication. It's just a matter of what you want.
    Spencerdl and joski like this.
    04-30-12 07:16 AM
    Alot of the apps I was excited to use on other platforms were a disappointment as well. For example: Trip Advisor. It's just a small Wap version of the site that doesn't come close to all the functionality of the actual site. So I ended up using the Thunderbolt browser to view the full site instead of using the app.

Same with Kayak, Orbitz, Happy Cow.
    04-30-12 07:19 AM
    is google wallet an electronic payment service? you can get equivalents in the uk on blackberry phones.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    04-30-12 07:20 AM
    Apps are great for small screen phones. Certain apps are also great for larger screens. What isn't needed on a tablet are apps that make up for a small screen phone or apps that make up for not having a flash player or apps that are just a shortcut to a mobile website.

A lot want a crackberry app for their pb which is fine. I don't as I prefer the Site like I get it on my lappy or desktop and I get that with the pb.
    Chrisy likes this.
    04-30-12 07:21 AM
    Well, currently apps are the fastest way to perform a task on a mobile device. Without apps, consumers won't switch.
    I disagree. I think that apps are great if your browser cannot display the full site either quickly or properly. Many apps lack full site functionality. An app will never replace the website.

Many of us have switched AWAY from iPhone and Android back to BlackBerry. There has to be a reason other than tons of apps. Right?

Even if there is an app for the PlayBook in end up using the browser. The sites have all the options available. Like mentioned above, CrackBerry. Trip Advisor, Kayak, Orbitz, Happy Cow.
    04-30-12 07:21 AM
    You are right and wrong. Apps came into existence to compensate for weaknesses in Mobile platforms, including but not limited to iOS.

No mobile browser, phone or tablet, could give a desktop experience. That statement holds true just as much now as it did in 2008.
    04-30-12 07:22 AM
    Skype and Netflix I used to have on my Android too. I realized that I never used them there. I use them on my laptop. The Skype on a phone was cool to have and I can see how it would be useful. As far as Netflix there's too many alternative to worry about that. Better alternatives.

All those other apps are either available on BlackBerry using an app, browser or there is an alternative that is just as good or better.

I found when I got my Android I went app crazy. Then I slowly deleted the ones I didn't use too often. I was left with the same apps I had on my BlackBerry. A few extra that BlackBerry had built in.

I'm still not sure I would use Skype on my PlayBook. The laptop is just better suited. Then again I don't use Skype every day or even more than once every 6 months.

With the exception of Google Wallet everything you mention is for entertainment. I do agree that the iPhone or Android is better suited for entertainment. BlackBerry for communication. It's just a matter of what you want.
    Most people used to certain apps though would not be happy having to downgrade to using the browser. And take Words with Friends for instance. Does Blackberry have an alternative?
    04-30-12 07:23 AM
    I disagree. I think that apps are great if your browser cannot display the full site either quickly or properly. Many apps lack full site functionality. An app will never replace the website.

Many of us have switched AWAY from iPhone and Android back to BlackBerry. There has to be a reason other than tons of apps. Right?

Even if there is an app for the PlayBook in end up using the browser. The sites have all the options available. Like mentioned above, CrackBerry. Trip Advisor, Kayak, Orbitz, Happy Cow.
    I have zero things for which I use apps that could be done faster through the browser. I don't know anyone who goes to a website if they have an app to perform the same task.

I mean if you prefer that it's cool. I prefer to get stuff done fast however. But that's just me.
    04-30-12 07:30 AM
    I've always thought Apple should replace their logo to be more in keeping with the technical expertise and lifestyle of their user base. I'm thinking along the lines of a soccer ball, a mom, and a minivan. What do you think? Probably too many things going on for a logo design? How about a group of high school kids hanging out at McDonald's?
    04-30-12 07:32 AM
    Most people used to certain apps though would not be happy having to downgrade to using the browser. And take Words with Friends for instance. Does Blackberry have an alternative?
    I'm sure BlackBerry does have a word game that's an alternative. I don't play games on my phone. I have A few on my PlayBook and Laptop for a just in case I have time to waste.

Being able to use the browser isn't a downgrade at all. It's actually I switch AWAY from BlackBerry to Android! For a better browser.

On my computer I would never use an app. I use the browser, probably like everyone does. Why? Because web sites have more functionality and are quicker.

I can understand apps on the iPhone or iPad simply BECAUSE of the lack of a flash browser. Yes, then you NEED apps.
    04-30-12 07:36 AM
    I've always thought Apple should replace their logo to be more in keeping with the technical expertise and lifestyle of their user base. I'm thinking along the lines of a soccer ball, a mom, and a minivan. What do you think? Probably too many things going on for a logo design? How about a group of high school kids hanging out at McDonald's?
    Or those of us that travel, have jobs and don't spend the majority of the day playing games and downloading "neat-o" picture editing apps on our phone.

Most everyone I see with an iPhone is either older like my parents and grandparents or very young. My 5 year old cousin has both. Lol. That's great. They are user friendly...Like a game Boy. Most iPhone users are too young to remember those. Ha.

Here's a difference I have noticed :iPhone users want to play Words With Friends with their buddies. BlackBerry user like to email, call or actually visit their friends. I really think the iphone generation is living in a digital fantasy land where Facebook is their hang out and video games are their adventure. Apple has created this World that appears to be social but in actuality is just self involvement.

Do younger people play board games or even video games together? Or is it all done through the phone and PC now? I don't have kids so I don't know. Those high school kids at McDonald's most likely have iPhones. You know that!
    Last edited by chrisy520; 04-30-12 at 07:46 AM.
    Spencerdl and baldanders like this.
    04-30-12 07:40 AM
    I'm sure BlackBerry does have a word game that's an alternative. I don't play games on my phone. I have A few on my PlayBook and Laptop for a just in case I have time to waste.

Being able to use the browser isn't a downgrade at all. It's actually I switch AWAY from BlackBerry to Android! For a better browser.

On my computer I would never use an app. I use the browser, probably like everyone does. Why? Because web sites have more functionality and are quicker.

I can understand apps on the iPhone or iPad simply BECAUSE of the lack of a flash browser. Yes, then you NEED apps.
    I don't have an iPhone or iPad, I have a Galaxy Nexus on ICS and a Xoom both running Flash in the browser.........trust me, the apps are far faster on my devices even.
    04-30-12 07:41 AM
    I have zero things for which I use apps that could be done faster through the browser. I don't know anyone who goes to a website if they have an app to perform the same task.

I mean if you prefer that it's cool. I prefer to get stuff done fast however. But that's just me.
    An app is perfect if you are mobile and do not have a laptop/tablet but the website is always faster and easier to use. An app is always limited in functionality.
    04-30-12 07:44 AM
    well...maybe if you replace soccer with baseball lol

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    04-30-12 07:47 AM
    An app is perfect if you are mobile and do not have a laptop/tablet but the website is always faster and easier to use. An app is always limited in functionality.
    Heh, I rarely ever use my laptop anymore and my desktop has been off for months. I do everything from my phone and tablet.

I think I'll give up on trying to explain how much faster and productive I am with apps over the browser
    04-30-12 07:48 AM
    The PlayBook is a tablet and mobile. Website is faster and easier if you're on a computer.
    Chrisy likes this.
    04-30-12 07:49 AM
    I'm not an app junkie, I only load crucial apps that I need to use. I don't try apps, or look for new and exciting apps to play with. I look for app only when I need something.

That said, apps is to compensate basically the lack of screen real estate, ill-designed mobile webpages and efficiency. Not a problem that only iOS faces, but all mobile devices with small screen. On a 4 inch screen, browsing a full webpage normally means lots of zooming, panning, scrolling and what not. Most mobile webpages are crap as well. So the apps fits nicely into solving these problems. A well designed app will be easier for users to navigate. Information can be formatted according to screen sizes, making reading text, viewing images easier. Other than that, it can be faster and more efficient than a full webpage, because some of the data is store locally on the device in the app itself. Like the graphic interface and what not. When you click a link in a browser, it basically reloads everything on the page, including the interface and design elements. Where as on an app, all it needs is too pull the data. The UI is store locally. Meaning less data used, and faster loading times. On a mobile device where data plan and speed is limited, it can be a good thing.

A simple example would be Tapatalk. Loading a thread in tapatalk on your phone would be faster than trying to load a thread using the browser.

I'm not saying that we need an app for everything. I'm just saying that some things are in fact better when you have an app.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    dennie82 and Chrisy like this.
    04-30-12 07:50 AM
398 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD