I don't think a company can hide for long behind the shadows of successful apps.. Just saying
    I am not sure why people on this forum can't accept that some people simply prefer other devices. Some people choose iPhone, some Android, some BB. Some switch at a point to something else. What is the 'better' product is what's best for the specific user. Some people prefer the iPhone because they like it as whole (the device and it's apps), so the company is not 'hiding behind' anything.
    Last edited by torndownunit; 05-04-12 at 03:36 PM.
    triplealiali likes this.
    05-04-12 03:33 PM
    Apple's one great ability is:" Win the Crowd " They deliver what people want. And they do this very well, as long they have this strenght. They can't be touch, however with beeing said. Now that Steve Jobs is gone, the REAL GENIUS that started it all. How long will they be able to keep people satisfied.!?

When after all are Human Nature is; We may have all and everything in this world, ...still we would ask for more..!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    05-04-12 03:46 PM
    I hear that rejoinder (and implied outcome) quite often here: "But wait... Steve jobs is dead now! Apple will fail now!"

Funny.
    05-04-12 03:48 PM
    I am not sure why people on this forum can't accept that some people simply prefer other devices. Some people choose iPhone, some Android, some BB. Some switch at a point to something else. What is the 'better' product is what's best for the specific user. Some people prefer the iPhone because they like it as whole (the device and it's apps), so the company is not 'hiding behind' anything.
    Actually I'd like to see the qualifier "some" people because some of us have no problem with it at all. The only problem I personally have is when a post or thread is an obvious attempt to start an argument. To each his own, whatever works for you.
    05-04-12 03:56 PM
    Well I'm sorry to say that you do need apps when you can't do what you can do on other tablets, with things that people want and use everyday like skype, netflix, slingplayer....etc. People need to get over the fact that these aren't desktops and laptops and we need apps made for the playbook, and as long as the other tablets have them and the playbook doesn't then it's going to continue to suck.

I've had my PlayBook since launch day and I regret it because I still can't view my slingbox, chat with someone on skype, watch netflix....etc. And don't even start with the you should of researched the playbook first routine, completly irrelevant, iPad was nothing at the start too. RIM should of done and has to do a better job of paying these companies to make the apps so in the long run they sell more and more PlayBooks, something I figured was completely obvious to a company in the communication industry, boy was I wrong. Spend money to make money...
    05-04-12 04:03 PM
    Well I'm sorry to say that you do need apps when you can't do what you can do on other tablets, with things that people want and use everyday like skype, netflix, slingplayer....etc. People need to get over the fact that these aren't desktops and laptops and we need apps made for the playbook, and as long as the other tablets have them and the playbook doesn't then it's going to continue to suck.

I've had my PlayBook since launch day and I regret it because I still can't view my slingbox, chat with someone on skype, watch netflix....etc. And don't even start with the you should of researched the playbook first routine, completly irrelevant, iPad was nothing at the start too. RIM should of done and has to do a better job of paying these companies to make the apps so in the long run they sell more and more PlayBooks, something I figured was completely obvious to a company in the communication industry, boy was I wrong. Spend money to make money...
    While I agree with the general sentiment, I don't agree with:
    iPad was nothing at the start too.
    At launch day, the original iPad could run virtually every iPhone and iPod touch App. So it didn't have the same Lack of Apps hurdle that PlayBook has been struggling with.

Granted, running iPhone Apps on an iPad wasn't the greatest visual experience, even with the resolution doubler, but it was better than not having any Apps at all.

This is something that hopefully the BB10/QNX unification of the BB phone and PB OS will also hopefully address.
    05-04-12 04:18 PM
    Actually I'd like to see the qualifier "some" people because some of us have no problem with it at all. The only problem I personally have is when a post or thread is an obvious attempt to start an argument. To each his own, whatever works for you.
    Fair point. It's easy to rush a post when you are responding to a ridiculous point though. It's amazing that SOME people seriously believe all the iPhone/iPad have going for them is apps, or that Apple is 'hiding behind apps'.
    05-04-12 04:57 PM
    Right on! I agree, there are too many fanboys/girls lurking around here. Every product has its pros and cons, many just like Apple products over BB's (iPhone is WAY better imo)
    05-04-12 04:57 PM
    I didn't claim that Apple will fail, ( not yet! ) I simply said, What will happen next ? When all behind the ideas are mostly all came from HIM. It seemed as though, they are running out of ideas. ( Redundant )
    05-04-12 05:24 PM
    I didn't claim that Apple will fail, ( not yet! ) I simply said, What will happen next ? When all behind the ideas are mostly all came from HIM. It seemed as though, they are running out of ideas. ( Redundant )
    Source?

After reading his biography, I definitely came away thinking that he certainly was not the one behind all, or even a majority of the ideas. Thought there is a lot of references to his distorted reality field whereby he would torment somebody else's idea, and then sometime later present it as his own, and honestly believe it.

Where Jobs excelled was his ability to merge Art and Technology, constantly sending products back for redesign, until it met his perception of being perfect. He also had such a nasty personality, that he didn't care what it took from those below him, in terms of sacrifice, to get there.
    05-04-12 05:45 PM
    Fair point. It's easy to rush a post when you are responding to a ridiculous point though. It's amazing that SOME people seriously believe all the iPhone/iPad have going for them is apps, or that Apple is 'hiding behind apps'.
    Thank you. I think a mature and informed discussion can be a good thing. When either side goes off into rhetoric or hearsay (or personal attacks ) it becomes pointless. My kids all own iPhones; my husband and I are Blackberries. We don't argue about it, we've had some spirited discussions about preferences and advantages, and in the end it is what it is. Hoping I see more of that in here.
    triplealiali likes this.
    05-04-12 06:37 PM
    I still believe apple os is running on linux.
    05-04-12 06:54 PM
    I still believe apple os is running on linux.
    And your point is...?
    05-04-12 07:52 PM
    And your point is...?
    Doesn't matter what his point is, he's wrong. Mac OS X, like iOS, is built on BSD.
    triplealiali likes this.
    05-04-12 08:59 PM
    Right on! I agree, there are too many fanboys/girls lurking around here. Every product has its pros and cons, many just like Apple products over BB's (iPhone is WAY better imo)
    Thank you. I think a mature and informed discussion can be a good thing. When either side goes off into rhetoric or hearsay (or personal attacks ) it becomes pointless. My kids all own iPhones; my husband and I are Blackberries. We don't argue about it, we've had some spirited discussions about preferences and advantages, and in the end it is what it is. Hoping I see more of that in here.
    Everyones here to share their opinions.. Wouldn't really be much of a forum if we all just said that everything has it's pros and cons.. People can choose what they want.. Maybe you guys might have made up your minds to settle in for what you know best.. But people come in here looking for discussions which help them decide..

And 1 out of 3 posts in cb have a comment which says iPhones are better than blackberrys.. So really it's the fanboy count in here that's causing all the rage..

I'm gonna defend blackberry cause I know I'm not gonna run out of things to say.. But with every comment 1 apple boy disappears and another one steps in with something even more distorted.. So I agree it's not progressive..
    05-05-12 09:57 AM
    Read the opening post. I wasn't questioning whether Apple was genius, I was saying that in my opinion it was. So there shouldn't be a question mark.
    Going by your initial post.. Your thread could have been titled 'Apple is Lucky' or 'People are Dumb' or even 'Welcome to my thread where you will never find out why apple is genuis'..

Geez 26 pages and all I learnt was Skype, ton apps, you're jealous and some other crap.. But the best of all is Apple has the sales to prove it.. You Mr. Fanboy are late to the party apple is dead..
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    05-05-12 10:27 AM
    Going by your initial post.. Your thread could have been titled 'Apple is Lucky' or 'People are Dumb' or even 'Welcome to my thread where you will never find out why apple is genuis'..

Geez 26 pages and all I learnt was Skype, ton apps, you're jealous and some other crap.. But the best of all is Apple has the sales to prove it.. You Mr. Fanboy are late to the party apple is dead..
    Bottom line is that it was MY opinion. First off, I'm not a fanboy; the only BB product I like is the PlayBook. Once again, I started this thread to tell people that PlayBook does a great job at not needing an app for everything and that Apple's marketing tactics led people to believe otherwise. That's it! Apple is still in the maturity stage of its product lifecycles, but RIM is getting towards the decline unless BB10 lives up to whatever hype it has had. Apple wasn't lucky or people aren't dumb; Apple was smart. So please get your fanboy attitude out of here and just accept that.
    05-05-12 10:33 AM
    Everyones here to share their opinions.. Wouldn't really be much of a forum if we all just said that everything has it's pros and cons.. People can choose what they want.. Maybe you guys might have made up your minds to settle in for what you know best.. But people come in here looking for discussions which help them decide..

And 1 out of 3 posts in cb have a comment which says iPhones are better than blackberrys.. So really it's the fanboy count in here that's causing all the rage..

I'm gonna defend blackberry cause I know I'm not gonna run out of things to say.. But with every comment 1 apple boy disappears and another one steps in with something even more distorted.. So I agree it's not progressive..
    It's a double edged sword unfortunately. You can report forum violations on a regular basis so the mods can find them easier (that's why that button is put on almost all forums, it makes their job easier by using community participation. Kind of like the idea behind community policing initiatives in many municipalities). But eventually you may slip up. When that happens, all of your previous efforts do not earn you any leniency and even a mild infraction earns you the same points lost as the heavy offenders get. There is no "hey man, you've helped us out in the past, so here's a warning". think of it as getting arrested for assaulting the robber that broke into your house. After you helped the same cops arresting you nab 20 crooks that month.

There's no compensation prize for you if you get nailed and someone on a rampage that day gets overlooked.

I'm not a big fan of the report button concept anymore, because of the risk it carries with no tangible rewards for that risk. This meme always sits at the back of my mind when I surf forums:

By the way, everyone who has a high presence in this thread and others like it, rest assured you are the topic of water cooler chit-chat.

I say this as a friendly warning because what will happen is precisely this:

1. You will view this as a blackberry fansite

2. Because of #1 you will be under the assumption that you'll be safe from moderation if you openly argue against what you perceive to be blatant trolling posts, and you will also believe that if you argue against an especially awful and rude troll post, you won't also be punished alongside them as long as you don't use profanity, or make crass insults, etc.

3. You will get infractions, suspended, banned. There are no "plus" points given for past activity. You can have more "likes" than Scarlett Johannson arriving on an island full of stranded men. It's like that old saying.
    "You can drive a truck your whole life and nobody will call you a truck driver but you ___ one ___ then suddenly you're a ___ ______!"

I know the counter argument to this is "don't argue, just report". We're all human, we all make mistakes. But strictly adhering to the "don't argue, just report" policy doesn't always work because you might still get nailed by another human who also makes mistakes.

So rather than don't argue just report, I elect to do neither now. If I slip up, I sure won't be tying my own noose.
    Last edited by omniusovermind; 05-05-12 at 11:43 AM.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    05-05-12 10:46 AM
    Haven't read all 27 pages, so may be repeating.

Apple isn't a marketing genius, Steve Jobs was a marketing genius. Time will tell if they learned enough from him to keep it up.

Marketing is an essential part of product success. People can't buy it if they don't know it exists, or what it does.

Mac computers had about 12.9% of the PC market at the end of 2011, yet if you watch television or movies, you would think they were the dominate machine as almost every single person on tv and movies is using an Apple computer.

Apple donates computers to colleges and schools. Guess what? My son is off to college this fall for Film Editing and he has to buy an Apple computer, even though the main program for editing is Adobe and he could use on a Windows PC. This ticks him off as the Mac is so much more expensive than a Windows laptop.

Technology changes so quickly, that the guy on top can become the guy on the bottom in a short period of time. We have seen it with Apple once, RIM is now there, Gateway, Nortel, even Dell. And they can come back just as easy.

Some new company could come out of nowhere and knock Apple and RIM for a loop.

Look what Skype and others have done to the long distance phone business and the cell phone guys. And I remember back when eBay bought Skype, many thought it was a real stupid business move. Who's laughing now?

Trying to stay on top in the tech game is a real challenge. Top products and top marketing are necessary. And a lot of the marketing is making us believe we need something we don't, whether is 500,000 apps over 95,000 apps or even a tablet at all.
    05-05-12 10:51 AM

I completely agree, but the problem is I see a lot of comments on here that I tend to believe come from people who have never even used devices other than RIM products based on the inaccuracies of the comments. Yes there are a certain type of Apple user looking to stir up trouble. But there are also people on here who use and enjoy an variety of products who take crap for trying to correct inaccurate info posted about them. Which makes for some discouraging discussions. Personally, I would think this forum would WANT the type of user who likes RIM products AND likes other products. It provides a balanced perspective.
    05-05-12 11:46 AM

How is it fanboyish to say the iPhone is better than the BBB? I certainly think iPhones are MUCH superior, and besides a businessperson or someone who wants something more secure, I honestly can't see another reason to buy a BB.
    05-05-12 09:25 PM
    at the end of the day, some people - myself included - prefer a good physical keyboard to any virtual keyboard. I have both a 9930 and an iPhone4s. i find myself constantly hopping back and forth between the two.

I vastly prefer the physical keyboard on my 9930, but I also prefer the greater flexibility the 4s provides with regard to apps, media playback, camera, and app diversity. with the 4s i only carry one device to meet all of my needs.
    When my 9930 is my active phone, on trips I wind up taking the 4s along as an ipod for media purposes.

My point is both have strengths and weaknesses. Neither is capable of meeting all of my needs in a single device based on the way I work, travel, and interact with technology.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    06-10-12 10:09 AM
    I have no problem with this post, OP just saying his/her opinion, which I think everyone here is 'entitled' too?

I'm a Apple fan, mainly because their product are really good, Mac's and iOS devices. But I'm also a RIM fan, BB's and now PB. I believe Steve Jobs is a genius, period. Everyone need not agree on my opinion.
    kennyliu likes this.
    06-10-12 07:18 PM
398 ... 141516
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD