Bit of a grumble here, the only app to get if you are into playing movies on your playbook is Kalemsoft Media Player...however there is a big difference in the app store price - $4.99 (or �3.22 at todays conversion rate) on the US app store versus �5.00 in the UK.. and that is apparently with a 30% off special offer...why such a big disparity, is there a big difference between other apps US/UK prices?

You would have thought as they are effectively relaunching the brand they wouldn't be discriminating against different global markets.
    02-17-13 01:23 PM
    I am no expert but isn't it the developer that prices the app?
    If it is the developer then it has nothing to do with BB's corporate strategy.
    02-17-13 03:02 PM
    Bit of a grumble here, the only app to get if you are into playing movies on your playbook is Kalemsoft Media Player...however there is a big difference in the app store price - $4.99 (or �3.22 at todays conversion rate) on the US app store versus �5.00 in the UK.. and that is apparently with a 30% off special offer...why such a big disparity, is there a big difference between other apps US/UK prices?

You would have thought as they are effectively relaunching the brand they wouldn't be discriminating against different global markets.
    Is there a difference in the tax rate?
    02-17-13 03:03 PM
    Is there a difference in the tax rate?
    Well UK Tax (VAT) is 20%, i presume tax in the USA varies from state to state... the difference in price of the US app and the UK app is near 60% increase, far more than allowing for tax.
    02-17-13 03:11 PM
    In most states online purchases are immune to sales tax (a few cases there is sales tax but usually only where the shipping point and destination happen to be in the same state). Then also if the developer is American there is the cost and tax in domesticating the profit from overseas purchases. 60% is a bit high of a difference , but not as much as it might first seem
    02-17-13 03:14 PM
    its nothing to do with tax, it actually seems like a glitch. if you look at most apps, where they are $1 in the US, they are �0.75 in the uk, so for some reason this one hasnt changed with the interest rate update they did a few weeks ago.
    02-17-13 03:19 PM
    Rim did recently reprice stuff for the UK but I don't know much about it. BUT I DO pay Washington state sales tax when I buy apps, about 9%.
    02-17-13 03:42 PM