it seems as though i have received one of the recalled PBs. it fires up and goes directly to the setup screen. all goes well until you get to the "update" phase. then it states that it is unable to update and the only option is to restart. when i attach it to the pc and run desktop manager, dm says that the PB hasnt been set up yet. is there anything that can be done with the PB? i didnt want to send it back because this was supposed too be a christmas present< and wouldnt be enough time to get it the issue resolved.
    Thanks.
    12-13-11 10:50 AM
    I am not aware there ever has been a recall of the Playbook?
    12-13-11 10:53 AM
    there was a recall of about 1000 playbooks back in april. They had a start up problem that makes them unable to boot up. its a software problem, not hardware.
    12-13-11 11:37 AM
    As I recall (though my memory may be wrong), the "debrick" maneuver using Desktop Manager would fix this. Googling for "playbook debrick" should show you how to do that. If I'm wrong about that working, sorry to raise false hopes.
    12-13-11 11:42 AM
    After some reading, it seems like it's an os issue with these particular models. So, I suppose that I would need to upgrade the os prior to activation. That is what I am not sure if it is possible. Can any of the experts help me? I would really prefer not to have to send this back and miss the holidays with it.
    12-13-11 02:05 PM
    how do you know its a recalled one?
    12-13-11 02:09 PM
    The debrick will work. Turn it off, then connect to your PC with Desktop manager running. You will get a message something like Playbook is rebooting do you want to wait for it to reboot click ok to restore OS.

You may have to hold the power button down for 8-10 sec to get the playbook to turnoff and start the boot process that is needed so you get the desktop manager message about restoring.

Are you sure you have one of the Playbooks that have been recalled? The serial numbers are listed somewhere on this site. If yours is not on the list, you may just be having a problem with your wifi connection. A debrick will allow you to get the OS update, but you may still need a better wifi connection to set it up after the debrick.
    Last edited by robsteve; 12-13-11 at 02:15 PM.
    12-13-11 02:10 PM
    I am not aware there ever has been a recall of the Playbook?
    They had an error in the setup where the Playbook could not download the end user agreement or some other part of the os because the address/url/protocol it had was wrong.
    12-13-11 02:18 PM
    Here is a link to a site with the serial numbers listed. I also recall the de-brick fixing the problem
    RIM recalls 900 faulty BlackBerry PlayBooks, here are the serial numbers (update) -- Engadget
    12-13-11 02:28 PM
    make sure you have WiFi avaliable for the update to OS
    12-13-11 02:49 PM
    ....and I could have sworn I posted the suggestion to call Blackberry tech support if further assistance is needed, and the post disappeared. I must be getting old, well, I called them up late at night when I got mine with a problem I was having getting the PB up and running, and they were very helpful.
    12-13-11 02:55 PM
    Yes, I confirmed the serial # from the site. I didn't yet try that method. All I have done thus far was to plug the PB into the PC with desktop manager going. That's when I got the "you need to activate first" message.
    12-13-11 03:04 PM
    And the wifi is fine. No issues. So, should I just fire up DM, then plug in the turned-off PB? Will that update the os and take care of the issue?
    12-13-11 03:51 PM
    As Al said you should call RIM and ask for assistance.
    If it were me I would start DM, plug in the PB turned off, start PB and choose update. I would suggest you charge it before you do anything. The problem is the first OS didn't support charging unless the PB was turned on. Maybe it would charge if you just leave it on what ever screen it gets stuck on but I don't know that.

Did you buy it from a retailer? From what understand all the recalled PB's went to staples and not many got to consumers before they were sent back.
    12-13-11 04:57 PM
    Here is a link to a site with the serial numbers listed. I also recall the de-brick fixing the problem
    RIM recalls 900 faulty BlackBerry PlayBooks, here are the serial numbers (update) -- Engadget
    Who else checked this list for their PlayBook's serial number? lol
    jhanks64 likes this.
    12-13-11 05:41 PM
    Me, all four.....I'm good.
    12-13-11 06:03 PM
    Are I correct in recalling (no pun intended) that the units were all 16g? I've a 32g so I am not concerned. Besides it authenticated or whatever way back when halcyon days when Rim was updating a bit more frequently and good things were coming soon.
    12-13-11 06:23 PM
    Are I correct in recalling (no pun intended) that the units were all 16g? I've a 32g so I am not concerned. Besides it authenticated or whatever way back when halcyon days when Rim was updating a bit more frequently and good things were coming soon.
    I think they were 16's.
    Aren't good things still coming soon? Soon they will be even sooner then before.
    12-13-11 06:50 PM
    I got this from amazon last week. It wasn't directly from amazon, but one of those "sold by....." Listings(listed as new). Anyway, after running across this issue, I googled it and found that it was one of the units that had been on the recall list. Yes, I am mad that they were selling a recalled unit, but right now, I really want to just make it work so I don't have to spend any more time with the frustrating aspects of all of this. I will try plugging it in to DM while turned off tonight.
    12-13-11 07:01 PM
    Not me.... Got mine working fine right out of the box!
    12-13-11 07:15 PM
    i also had the looping issue and it wouldnt do anyhthing i was just abiut to return it when a user here helped me out.search looping on here and my post may help u.mines working now
    12-13-11 08:27 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD