My playbook camera is awful. I can never get a good picture, even in light outdoor, its always got a 'fuzz' to it.
    I don't know if its wen it was manufactured (may last year), if rim lied about camera specs or that you have go literally be standing on the sun to get a good picture.

Anyone else experiencing this or have experienced it?
    06-17-12 07:04 AM
    Nope. My pb takes beautiful crisp photos in great lighting(outdoors and indoors in the daytime) but when the light is low it takes very grainy pics.

Yours should take good pics outside. Do both front and rear cams take fuzzy pics?

Are you running the current OS 2? or the new beta 2.1? Has it always taken fuzzy pics or is it a new problem?

I've read on here of people saying that very small lint can get inside the pb case and could be on the lens.
    cdelcampo216, fbloise and mzceetee like this.
    06-17-12 07:30 AM
    Yerp both cameras and you described the problem better its not fuzz its grainy haha.

Im running the latest os2 not a beta.

Shall i take it to pc world and try get a warranty replacement or is that a stupid reason
    06-17-12 07:38 AM
    My playbook camera is awful. I can never get a good picture, even in light outdoor, its always got a 'fuzz' to it.
    Mine takes great photo's as long as I leave the zoom feature alone, if I try to zoom in usually they turn out fuzzy.
    06-17-12 08:42 AM
    my Playbook takes pretty decent photos for a tablet. I'm a DSLR user, so I'm not expecting phenomenal quality, but comparing it to the majority of tablets (minus The New iPad) it actually holds its own quite well. Have you got a skin on it that perhaps covers the lens? Is the lens clean?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    cdelcampo216 likes this.
    06-17-12 08:51 AM
    If you check and both cameras (front and back) and either takes fuzzy pictures and the lens areas look clean, then you should return it. I don't recall if new units ship with any plastic protecting the lens areas.

Here's two I've taken:
    alan510 and cdelcampo216 like this.
    06-17-12 09:16 AM
    Upload a pic so we can see or a video it well help a lot
    alan510 likes this.
    06-17-12 10:12 AM
    OP, show us an example of the "awful" picture

In good lighting my pb camera takes good pictures. But, next gen playbooks definitely need auto-focus and 0-lag shutter speed
    06-17-12 10:20 AM
    My playbook camera rocks!! Can't wait to have the BlackBerry 10 Camera on it!
    06-17-12 12:19 PM
    Excellent camera on my PB no problems at all.......
    06-17-12 12:36 PM
    I think the camera on my PlayBook is great. I haven't taken any bad pictures. And video on it is even better. Here's a picture of my Durango taken on a normal Florida day.
    06-17-12 12:46 PM
    WOW........ I have had my Playbook since 2-2012 and I just found out from this thread that you can zoom when taking a photo.

I love my Playbook and my life with it is better and easier everyday.
    06-17-12 01:02 PM
    FWIW, the 4:3 Pics are higher resolution than the !6:9 pics (5 megapixel vs 3.5 megapixel, I believe). Try changing the aspect ratio.
    Mr_Bunny likes this.
    06-17-12 02:47 PM
    Unless your lense is dirty, I'd return it. I've been very impressed with the quality of photos the PB is capable of. I posted a while ago and instance where I went into Best Buy to help a guy choose a tablet for taking photos in the field for his work. We took photos of the same scene inside the store with every tablet they had and and hands down the PB was the obvious choice. For that matter, even negative reviewers have praised the PBs camera as compared to the other tablets.

Photo taking is a large factor in our PB use at work, as we regularly are taking photos of service difficulties or discrepancies and sending them right from the PB to the manufacturer. I assure you, they would never tolerate grainy or poor photos in this regard, yet we've had nothing but compliments on the quality of those we've sent.

If your photos are grainy or not well defined, especially in good light and it's not user error, there is something wrong with the camera. I would definitely return it. Go to a store with your PB, ensuring the setting are the same, take some photos with your PB and a demo PB and compare them. That should give you good comparison. Good luck.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 06-17-12 at 04:15 PM.
    06-17-12 04:08 PM
    FWIW, the 4:3 Pics are higher resolution than the !6:9 pics (5 megapixel vs 3.5 megapixel, I believe). Try changing the aspect ratio.
    What this suggests is that the sensor has a pixel ratio of 4:3. When you select a picture that has a 16:9 format a bit of the top and bottom of the scene is removed. So while there are fewer pixels the resolution of the picture is the same.
    Last edited by d18; 06-17-12 at 04:18 PM.
    06-17-12 04:15 PM
    I seem to think it takes nice photos for a tablet. Indoor shots can be troublesome if there is not enough light but that is with all cameras in general. Also the zoom will cause the picture to look grainy.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    06-17-12 04:18 PM
    What this suggests is that the sensor has a pixel ratio of 4:3. When you select a picture that has a 16:9 format a bit of the top and bottom of the scene is removed. So while there are fewer pixels the resolution of the picture is the same.

the sensor does have a pixel ratio of 4:3. However, in 16:9, the image is blown up and closer because of how much is cropped off to take a 16:9 vs. a 4:3. So while the resolution of that particular section of the image is the same, the end result is a lower-quality image.

If you are having trouble visualising this, grab a sheet of paper, map out what a 4:3 ratio would be (8x6 works pretty well), then fit 16:9 within that and you will see why the image is technically lower resolution and lower quality when shot in 16:9.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    06-17-12 08:08 PM
    So, for best quality pictures, it should be zero zoom, 4:3 aspect ratio, Auto, and image stabilization off?
    06-17-12 10:40 PM

Anyone else experiencing this or have experienced it?

Nope.

Gathered some great photos and videos.

Had a hiccup or two using OS beta 2.1 but no blame availed.

Simply moved OS down to latest offical version and all appears well.

Not sure re-installing OS fancies you.
    Patience is a virtue.

Remember we're using some great hardware for a great price.

BB apps. Android apps. Possibly Apple apps. What next?

Simply great hardware!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    06-17-12 10:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD