Carbyn | Your Apps. Everywhere.

It's a browser-based OS that you don't actually install on the tablet. Apparently it works well on the Playbook according to this article:

Carbyn is a HTML5 based operating system | Ubergizmo

I haven't signed up yet but I'd like to know what your thoughts are on it.
    11-03-11 11:56 PM
    I signed up long ago -- no word from them as of yet.
    11-04-11 02:01 AM
    Carbyn | Your Apps. Everywhere.

It's a browser-based OS that you don't actually install on the tablet. Apparently it works well on the Playbook according to this article:

Carbyn is a HTML5 based operating system | Ubergizmo

I haven't signed up yet but I'd like to know what your thoughts are on it.
    So what apps can you run? any platform, or just the ones that run on this OS?
    guess I could read the article, huh?

OK anything in html5 eh? Cloud/virtual apps, what a concept - this may put an end to the platform wars, assuming no native hardware functionality is involved.

Interesting, thanks for this.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-04-11 at 02:42 AM.
    11-04-11 02:38 AM
    I signed up for it awhile back too, but havent gotten anything from them.
    11-04-11 02:43 AM
    I just signed up. If anyone wants to sign up you can use this link: Carbyn | Your Apps. Everywhere.
    11-04-11 09:57 AM
    I signed up, no word yet. Just a link with a referral code to send to other people.
    Last edited by NickA44; 11-04-11 at 10:22 AM.
    11-04-11 10:18 AM
    So what apps can you run? any platform, or just the ones that run on this OS?
    guess I could read the article, huh?

OK anything in html5 eh? Cloud/virtual apps, what a concept - this may put an end to the platform wars, assuming no native hardware functionality is involved.

Interesting, thanks for this.
    Lovin' the HTML5 stuff, which is really just normal markup with some new tags. Javascript does the real work. Anyway, it's changing my world as far as developing apps for more than 1 platform without managing multiple code bases. The problem I am having though is it's still early for it, and the limitations as far as accessing hardware.

But it has a bright future is being embraced rather quickly.
    11-04-11 10:22 AM
    They say they'll email me in a few days...
    11-04-11 11:48 AM
    I signed up on Sept 15. On Sept 29 I got this update:

Thanks for Signing Up!
    We've been overwhlemed by the response since we announced Carbyn a little over a week ago. Thousands of people have signed up who share the idea that people should be free to enjoy great apps anytime, anywhere, and never feel locked in. Some people think we're crazy. We like to think of it as ambitious. Whether you think we're nuts and just want to see if we can pull this off and deliver an amazing experience in the cloud we're excited to have you along for the ride.

We'll be opening up private beta access (tech talk meaning that we'll start letting people in) next week, letting in a few hundred people at a time and picking up the pace from there while making sure we keep it all running smoothly. We'll be starting with those who really put their referral links to work (so thanks...and keep sharing!) and keep going until everyone is enjoying Carbyn everywhere. Stay tuned to your inbox for your account access soon!

Freedom and Fun for all,

Jaafer and the Carbyn Team

I haven't heard anything since ...
    11-04-11 01:53 PM
    Just an idea huh. Is it free to sign up? Kind of disappointing. Problem is it will have fewer apps than the playbook!
    Other thing I don't get is what it has to do with tablets, if you just use a web browser you could theoretically do this on a laptop or desktop as well...so why is it an "app"and not just a web utility? Guess I'm just clueless about this whole idea...
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-04-11 at 08:57 PM.
    11-04-11 06:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD