I was beating on my PB hard like I normally do this time while playing N.O.V.A. Taking emails, bbms, browsing on game breaks (though you can't have more than one or two processes open with a big game up and running). The device was set to default mode.

After an email or something I go back to the game but it doesn't resume like it normally does. First the game was blotchy. I reloaded it and ran fine but would not progress to the next challenge leaving me running around in an empty parking lot. I exited the game and reloaded. Same problem but now the UI was acting buggy. Trying all kinds of things I finally got the status indicator shown below. Notice the "gear" symbol with blood or something coming out of it. Took the screen shot for evidence. Did a hard reboot and operation has been fine since. Had to be something wrong with the game as I noticed other little glitches in the program every once in a while.

Any way, anyone seen the bloody gear before?
    11-11-11 12:26 PM
    LOL can't say that I've ever seen that.
    11-11-11 12:31 PM
    It's just BlackBerry jam...

(Haven't seen it before either.)
    shrinkbbuser likes this.
    11-11-11 12:49 PM
    Maybe that's what it does mean, "OS jammed".

I've run my PB since then to see if operation of the unit did return to a nominal state which it has since the incident. It was the second time I've used the hard restart. Most times a simple restart solves virtually anything but not in this case.
    11-11-11 01:03 PM
    considering you were playing NOVA, I'd assume some of the blood splattered into another app.

Another plus for the PlayBook...the real life violence now multi-tasks. Up next...tire marks from from NFS appearing on wallpaper....
    11-11-11 01:09 PM
    And after running Bejeweled 2, any time you have three similarly colored app icons in a row, they explode and are uninstalled.
    axllebeer likes this.
    11-11-11 02:32 PM
    considering you were playing NOVA, I'd assume some of the blood splattered into another app.

Another plus for the PlayBook...the real life violence now multi-tasks. Up next...tire marks from from NFS appearing on wallpaper....
    When I first saw it I immediately thought it was damage done by my semi auto shotgun. Then I thought it might be some sort of NOVA geek hack. Glad I took a screen shot to prove I wasn't seeing things.
    11-11-11 04:51 PM
    ...it's the PB method of telling you that it's virtual gears are bleeding for an OS change, just like a car tells you with an engine light. Maybe you blew the turbo?

Treat her nice, smooth Playbook BBX QNX (sounds like an oil brand) 2.0 is coming.

...pedal to the metal on a Playbook, nice...
    11-11-11 05:23 PM
    And after running Bejeweled 2, any time you have three similarly colored app icons in a row, they explode and are uninstalled.
    LOL!

10char
    11-11-11 05:38 PM
    ...it's the PB method of telling you that it's virtual gears are bleeding for an OS change, just like a car tells you with an engine light. Maybe you blew the turbo?

Treat her nice, smooth Playbook BBX QNX (sounds like an oil brand) 2.0 is coming.

...pedal to the metal on a Playbook, nice...
    No way. I beat the crap out of the OS and it comes up smelling like a rose everytime. This OS is way more robust than Windows in my laptop that I can jam up or crash without even trying.

I'm going to have to power that sucker up tonight after two weeks of it sitting around collecting dust somewhere. Wonder where it is.

I have to add a comment about the turbo reference. All motorheads know the truism that there is no replacement for displacement. QNX has displacement in spades. The other OS are turboed right now. QNX hasn't even added a turbo yet and the PB outpowers the leading competitors in many regards already. Might not brake as well yet and push a little in the corners but the power and the chasis are there.
    Last edited by shootsscores; 11-11-11 at 05:59 PM.
    11-11-11 05:51 PM
    ...my reference stands corrected... and loving it... cheers... My Playbook Rocks.
    11-11-11 11:20 PM
    You tried to play Gears of War on it didn't you.
    11-12-11 09:14 AM
    Glad I took a screen shot
    how do you do that?
    11-12-11 09:21 AM
    Here's a close up of the "jammed" gear just for fun:
    11-12-11 09:22 AM
    how do you do that?
    Super easy. Just press the volume up and volume down buttons at the same time.
    jafobabe likes this.
    11-12-11 09:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD