no, just you.

ill try to use smaller words when i type..excuse me
    Wait... you just told me that I misunderstood you, and now you're saying that raremage is the only one that misunderstood you. Which is it?
    05-24-11 11:47 AM
    knowing what's missing from a product is different than not the product not working correctly. The 2 are not the same,

there are no apps/low apps - okay this was known
    there is no native mail/calendar/contacts - okay this was known

video/music player not remembering the last played location? Since when did RIM make this a feature? Or should I say "gee this is fine" the video player works half assed

wi-fi dropping for some and not for some - when was this advertise that you can surf the web but only when the pb wifi doesn't drop the connection?

You can load stuff up the pb but you just can't delete them or manage them from the PB. Since when was this an advertised feature by RIM?

The max timeout on the screen when plugged to an outlet is 5 minutes, when the **** was this an advertised featured? I must have missed that too.

This is not about the lack of apps or no native apps, this is about the device functioning right and correct out of the box

EXACTLY.

Fanboys... read this a few times before spouting off wasted bandwidth about cooking and those two whopping game-changing updates.

Everyone knows these wrinkles will get worked out eventually. Everyone also knows that it should have launched in better shape and we should have crept forward another notch or two by now, and/or had better communications from the company.

My idea of comping application credit for those who can't back up ought to earn me a job at RIM.

Right now, if someone asks me about Playbook, I have to say don't buy it! Lots of promise but can't do basic things, like last in the stream sack for more than five minutes or, ya know, back up. You also have no control over your files or bookmarks and the applications are not only as bad as advertised, it's that much worse. No Twitter? Are you kidding me? How on the planet does someone not get a Twitter application ready during all that time? One man shops from nowhere have good Twitter applications for any platform out there. The obvious advice is tell someone: HOLD OFF.

If, however, RIM was providing email updates or better information on the phone or on the web, or OWNING massive screwups like no backup and dropping goodies, like coupons or something, then you could say to your associates, well, it's an early adoption game, but if you want in, RIM's got your back and making it worth your while to be an early adopter.

That way, you don't have to watch "POWER POWER POWER POWER" "FLASH< OOH AH, FLASH OOH AH, FLASH OOH AH" advertisements all playoffs long and have to stew in your own juices that you can't even back the slab up.

Not as if RIM is winning over the analysts or the markets right now.

If I were CEO, CMO etc, I'd be doing small favors for Playbook buyers every week or two for the first 90-120 days... at least until the thing performed at the basic level. Bugs are one thing, not being able to manage bookmarks is sad.
    05-24-11 11:57 AM
    Wait... you just told me that I misunderstood you, and now you're saying that raremage is the only one that misunderstood you. Which is it?
    misread and misunderstood are different..
    05-24-11 12:12 PM
    They are? Odd.
    05-24-11 12:13 PM
    EXACTLY.

Fanboys... read this a few times before spouting off wasted bandwidth about cooking and those two whopping game-changing updates.

Everyone knows these wrinkles will get worked out eventually. Everyone also knows that it should have launched in better shape and we should have crept forward another notch or two by now, and/or had better communications from the company.

My idea of comping application credit for those who can't back up ought to earn me a job at RIM.

Right now, if someone asks me about Playbook, I have to say don't buy it! Lots of promise but can't do basic things, like last in the stream sack for more than five minutes or, ya know, back up. You also have no control over your files or bookmarks and the applications are not only as bad as advertised, it's that much worse. No Twitter? Are you kidding me? How on the planet does someone not get a Twitter application ready during all that time? One man shops from nowhere have good Twitter applications for any platform out there. The obvious advice is tell someone: HOLD OFF.

If, however, RIM was providing email updates or better information on the phone or on the web, or OWNING massive screwups like no backup and dropping goodies, like coupons or something, then you could say to your associates, well, it's an early adoption game, but if you want in, RIM's got your back and making it worth your while to be an early adopter.

That way, you don't have to watch "POWER POWER POWER POWER" "FLASH< OOH AH, FLASH OOH AH, FLASH OOH AH" advertisements all playoffs long and have to stew in your own juices that you can't even back the slab up.

Not as if RIM is winning over the analysts or the markets right now.

If I were CEO, CMO etc, I'd be doing small favors for Playbook buyers every week or two for the first 90-120 days... at least until the thing performed at the basic level. Bugs are one thing, not being able to manage bookmarks is sad.
    Loving my PB and highly recommending it to people but it does tend to sell itself when I demonstrate it. Just from hardware standpoint alone
    it's the best device on the market.
    05-24-11 12:22 PM
    Loving my PB and highly recommending it to people but it does tend to sell itself when I demonstrate it. Just from hardware standpoint alone
    it's the best device on the market.

Yeah, if only it was all about the hardware. The cars with the best chassis don't always corner so well.

If you read my post, and everyone else's, you'd have understood that my disappointments aren't with the hardware.

The software is much worse than we expected and driving us bonkers.

How many of your friends were following a Hockey Playoff stream that crapped out every five minutes and missed a goal?

Did you demo a failed backup to your pals?

Sure, you watch an HD video and some snappy application changes and you think I want one. Then you spend $700, not including case, HDMI cable, etc. and you can't back up, can't manage files, can't do PowerPoint and can't stream audio without the device attached to your wrist.

Hardware.

We need two forums. One for the gadget-obsessives and one for business folk.
    05-24-11 12:46 PM
    Yep...they moved on laughing. All of us that bought them are left in the dark while RIM is working on new devices...

No, my hope is that RIM didn't forget us, but that they are making things right before another lame BS release with only a few updates comes out.
    05-24-11 02:10 PM
    Hey iFar - no stealing my thunder!
    05-24-11 02:11 PM
    Sorry. Feel free to respond to his explanation:

misread and misunderstood are different..
    05-24-11 02:13 PM
    Yeah, if only it was all about the hardware. The cars with the best chassis don't always corner so well.

If you read my post, and everyone else's, you'd have understood that my disappointments aren't with the hardware.

The software is much worse than we expected and driving us bonkers.

How many of your friends were following a Hockey Playoff stream that crapped out every five minutes and missed a goal?

Did you demo a failed backup to your pals?

Sure, you watch an HD video and some snappy application changes and you think I want one. Then you spend $700, not including case, HDMI cable, etc. and you can't back up, can't manage files, can't do PowerPoint and can't stream audio without the device attached to your wrist.

Hardware.

We need two forums. One for the gadget-obsessives and one for business folk.
    As a consumer device, this thing rocks. Are there improvements to be made? Certainly but RIM has produced an excellent device that is only going to become better. Remember, this is a brand new OS that is a total new direction in mobile computing. If it were a car, it wouldn't even have had its first short interval break in oil change.
    05-24-11 02:59 PM
    If it were a car, it wouldn't even have had its first short interval break in oil change.
    Sure, except that the manufacturer of the automobile wouldn't be coming back to you some time in the future to install the seats, or the steering wheel, or the fuel tank. Sure it's a car, and it rolls and all that, but give them a break. It's a new car... just be patient for the rest of the parts to arrive.
    05-24-11 03:15 PM
    I've been very happy with the updates and response from RIM regarding my PlayBook. I don't expect updates unless really needed, or to roll out some new features. Sure, I'd love to have live email and BBM and a few other things, but the PlayBook is working GREAT, I have no problem with using the Bridge (and I pay AT&T for the tethering plan, which works fine). Regardless...this PlayBook user is happy and love the reactions from some of my iPad friends who can't believe the size and resolution and the ease of use for the PlayBook's keyboard.
    05-24-11 05:23 PM
    I have to say that I agree with this completely and I basically said the same thing about myself in my thread when I returned my PB. I was too early and should have waited until development was well under way. If and when the app ecosystem is up to par I will buy another playbook, until then I won't limit myself. Thankfully I saw how slowly development was going to progress during my return period and I made the sane decision to return the device, but I had no one to blame but myself for ignoring the reviews.

I really don't know how to make it any simpler. If you are going to buy a $499 product, do some research.

Most everyone here ranted and pitched a fit because they were biased? Why were they biased? because they said it sucked? because they said it needed more work? because they said it was unfinished?

Isn't that exactly what everyone who is complaining about RIM is basically saying?

Maybe those biased reviews weren't so biased after all, did you ever think about that?

The next time you buy a product despite bad reviews, and those bad reviews turn out to be sometimes true, don't complain. This is unreal.

Basically this is what your saying,

"Hey RIM, I'm going to buy your PlayBook despite most of the reviews saying its buggy and unfinished.."

2 days later

"Hey RIM, why haven't you updated the PlayBook, it seems buggy and unfinished."

Do you see and realize how silly that sounds?

Yes the responsibility lies with the company, but the consumer has a right to act intelligent once in a while.
    05-24-11 05:46 PM
    Yeah but all the reviews are biased right? The whole world is veering to the left.
    Read somewhere last nite, rim is again degraded to hold, said they wouldnt get more share of smartphone market, or smthin like that. Well maybe rim can, with new iterations of bold and storm. Maybe get one more, italic. Bb italic and bb underline.
    05-24-11 06:09 PM
    Well if you're an old bb user, this is somewhat expected. When RIM comes out with a new device, there are usually a lot of bugs to work out and updates to receive. It'll be awhile before the PB is up to par and decent working in my opinoion.
    05-25-11 09:56 AM
    I'm fully aware of the fine print that RIM attached to the PB's release, as well as the normal issues associated with any product's first release. All that said, I need a platform in which I can believe and support amidst a user/customer population that is googly-eyed over iWhatever and Droid devices. Technological superiority and "enterprise-friendliness" mean little if I can't see the device helping my company.

RIM has failed to consistently deliver new, innovative products that outshine the competition over the past few years, and its stock performance reflects that. The PB is an opportunity for redemption and thus far it's a mixed bag. No one cares that RIM set the bar low on promises when the PB was released - in the end, the market is cruel to a product that is both a latecomer and behind its competitors in terms of effective functionality.

I love my PB, acknowledging that love involves commitment and suffering alongside the rewards. When will I see the rewards, though?
    05-25-11 10:24 AM
    60 days is what promised.mustve been big change in corporate culture. We shall see, 30 more days to go.
    05-25-11 10:26 AM
117 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD