.... about when the BB10 upgrade happens? Im not a heavy user of my PlayBook, just for browsing, and videos mainly, and the current software does that fine. Im not exactly sure what the new OS will change for me in terms of what i do, or how i use my PlayBook. Yeah sure, maybe heavier users (not weight before anyone says it....) who have loads of apps may get operational benefits, but for someone who only uses it for browsing, im more than happy with what i have now. Just saying.
    02-01-13 12:17 PM
    I'm not bothered by it having not been released yet. I expected this event to be all about the phones, not the tablets. Why would they want to associate the phones with the playbook, a poor seller, right away? During the QA session, Thorsten addressed the situation stating that ALL current Playbook will be updated to BB10. That's good enough for me.

The big reason that it's important is to bring continuity to the brand's devices. Personally I like the approach that no matter what device I pick up, it's almost the exact same user experience, something that has been severely lacking in previous generating of BlackBerry devices.
    Coops12 and DataWrangler like this.
    02-01-13 12:24 PM
    The browser in BB10 would be much better. The fate of other features is essentially unknown like swiping from the sides to switch apps, showcase mode and other features that didn't make the tabletOS 2.1 -> BB10 phone jump. We just have to wait and see. Hopefully it'll be out by September
    02-01-13 12:27 PM
    It might bring some benefits. I say "might" because I don't know but an educated guess says that:

1. We'll many of the apps designed for BlackBerry 10 on the PlayBook, improving its utility
    2. The performance of apps in cascades should be better than the performance of apps in AIR
    3. The browser should be better/more stable
    4. The email experience should be better
    mpetrol, BigAl_BB9900 and Coops12 like this.
    02-01-13 12:35 PM
    The PB as is performs well for I bought it for, email and accessing a few websites I need. I don't need/want films/music/Skype etc and have installed very few extra apps. However, I was pleased to find I could side-load Kindle and that it works so well. I'll be interested to see what BB10 brings but I'm far from desperate.

Roger
    02-01-13 01:42 PM
    Not so much about the PB, it's running great, do I want the update,heck yeah, but when it gets here, now is about the phones, it will come.
    pchapple13 likes this.
    02-01-13 02:11 PM
    Personally I think all the 'When's BB10 coming?' type threads should be put into their own area where they don't clog up the otherwise excellent Playbook area.
    02-01-13 02:58 PM
    There is only one feature in BB10 I am looking forward to - I read it is supposed to have USB host working. I hoped It could be done with and update but looks like I will have to install new OS :-( Thousands of new apps expected sounds nice but only if most of them are QUALITY apps and we won't be flooded with password generators and "launchers". Anyway I just don't understand the whole excitement.
    02-01-13 04:39 PM
    For me I want the better browser, perhaps bt 4.whatever and to get rid of the adobe air stuff. Sometimes the browser checkerboarding drives me mad.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    02-01-13 04:50 PM
    Personally I think all the 'When's BB10 coming?' type threads should be put into their own area where they don't clog up the otherwise excellent Playbook area.
    I second that motion. There are too many "When will....blah blah.....arrive?" threads.
    And as soon as a new OS does drop, there will immediately be threads looking for the next update.

Yes improvements are always welcome, but my Playbooks work great for my needs.
    02-01-13 05:01 PM
    I second that motion. There are too many "When will....blah blah.....arrive?" threads.
    And as soon as a new OS does drop, there will immediately be threads looking for the next update.

Yes improvements are always welcome, but my Playbooks work great for my needs.
    At one of the sites I moderate at we have a subforum for this type of discussions - it's called the Whine cellar .
    KDTurvey and DC506 like this.
    02-01-13 05:09 PM
    I'm more 'bothered' about BB10 being enough of a success for Blackberry to be a contender again. If that happens, maybe more app developers will start bothering to make Blackberry versions too.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    02-01-13 05:46 PM
    Not bothered in the least. We knew it was coming, even with all the naysayers claiming otherwise, and now today Alec S. tweets another verification of it coming, so I'm good. My PBs are doing just what I bought them for and more, so I'm content until it shows.
    02-01-13 05:57 PM
    Sometimes I wonder how many people who work for BlackBerry post around here.
    02-01-13 06:14 PM
    millions,,,
    02-01-13 06:18 PM
    lol... that is their job... they are being paid for that...

Seriously, I'm bothered now of what will happen until later this year when our PB supposedly gets BB10... I mean, by that time, what else would be BB's motivational driving reason to roll it in PB?... If BB10 continously being successful these coming months, later this year, BB would probably manufactured or licensed BB10 to other devices... with powerful hardware... and this is where the "hardware cannot run smoothly BB10" reason comes in for officially ditching the current PlayBook...
    02-01-13 09:24 PM
    .... about when the BB10 upgrade happens? Im not a heavy user of my PlayBook, just for browsing, and videos mainly, and the current software does that fine. Im not exactly sure what the new OS will change for me in terms of what i do, or how i use my PlayBook. Yeah sure, maybe heavier users (not weight before anyone says it....) who have loads of apps may get operational benefits, but for someone who only uses it for browsing, im more than happy with what i have now. Just saying.
    Personally I'm not bothered - I'm not totally convinced I'd upgrade - I'll wait for the "gotta have the latest" crowd to update first, and see what consensus is, before going for it. So I'm gonna leech off the early, craving, perhaps clucking, adopters. That's just the way I roll.

I've seen updates on other devices cause issues when the hardware is marginal - I'm not saying that's definitely the case with the PlayBook, but as I understand it, all the BB10 handsets have 2G of RAM. Certainly on Android, I've seen earlier devices with less RAM (say 512M, rather than 1G) struggle with more modern versions of Android, so as somebody who's relatively content with his PlayBook on .1314, I'm going to wait and see.

Native Kindle and / or Skype may turn the screws a bit on that.

That said, I think for business and market reasons for the tablet arena, I don't think BlackBerry can afford to leave it too long - I believe they've a certain window of opportuinity in terms of a kind of synergistic advantage from it, and the handset release, in terms of where they'll stack up in the tablet marketplace, when all the cards have been dealt.
    02-02-13 06:00 AM
    For me I want the better browser, perhaps bt 4.whatever and to get rid of the adobe air stuff. Sometimes the browser checkerboarding drives me mad.
    I like the checkerboarding it makes my eyes go funny. BB10 better have it or the whole thing will be an utter disaster

Does anyone like liking the terminals of those square 9v batteries

Neither do I
    02-02-13 01:22 PM
    I like the checkerboarding it makes my eyes go funny. BB10 better have it or the whole thing will be an utter disaster

Does anyone like liking the terminals of those square 9v batteries

Neither do I
    Oh, in that case you can have checkerboards
    02-02-13 01:52 PM
    I'm not bothered at all. It comes when it comes because, for now, it's all about the Z10 as far as I'm concerned....and I'm getting my fix next week! I will definitely upgrade when it comes, as I always have to have the latest. Happy with my PB as is at the moment though...
    02-02-13 02:08 PM
    PlayBook 2.0 working fine for me. It's been a great little piece of gear.

As for hardware concerns, QNX will operate what the system resources can sustain. Should there be apps that require a fair amount of processing power coming with BB10, then the PlayBook may only allow four running apps instead of eight. The BB10 developer units only had one gig of RAM and that is probably the benchmark for apps. The dual cores on the PB should be just fine.
    02-02-13 02:27 PM