Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
Like Tree2Likes
  1. geneseque27's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    12 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Anyone know a fix for the camera error .4003 issue?

    Everything on my playbook works perfectly except the front facing camera. I've read a lot of posts with this same type of problem. Has there been a fix yet? If there hasn't does anyone think this issue might be resolved with BB10? I hope it will seeing as how it will replace the 2.1 files.

    Please Help.
  2. stevepar's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    455 Posts
    PIN
    28F96ECA
    #2  

    Default Re: Anyone know a fix for the camera error .4003 issue?

    mines going back for repair/dxchange :-) the nice folks forgave for my tablet being bought on launch day
    Q10,Z10, WHITE 9900 and PlayBook 32Gig AND 1,000 BBRY shares.
  3. geneseque27's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    12 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  

    Default Re: Anyone know a fix for the camera error .4003 issue?

    Quote Originally Posted by stevepar View Post
    mines going back for repair/dxchange :-) the nice folks forgave for my tablet being bought on launch day
    Would you mind giving me the number to call so that I could do that? Did they give you a hard time?
  4. stevepar's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    455 Posts
    PIN
    28F96ECA
    #4  

    Default Re: Anyone know a fix for the camera error .4003 issue?

    sorry don't know it, but it was the PlayBook support number. talked to a sweet thing in the Philipines for maybe twenty minutes tops. I own two phones, two tablets plus stock, maybe that helped :-)
    Q10,Z10, WHITE 9900 and PlayBook 32Gig AND 1,000 BBRY shares.
  5. geneseque27's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    12 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

    Default Re: Anyone know a fix for the camera error .4003 issue?

    Quote Originally Posted by stevepar View Post
    sorry don't know it, but it was the PlayBook support number. talked to a sweet thing in the Philipines for maybe twenty minutes tops. I own two phones, two tablets plus stock, maybe that helped :-)
    haha okay. Thanks anyway
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Anyone know a fix for the camera error .4003 issue?

    The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

    Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: playbooksupport@blackberry.com (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

    (UK Support) 0800 096 2805

    Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    Thanked by 2:
    AliasCBG (10-26-2012),  sickboyspbmtl (10-26-2012) 
  7. BKillar's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    346 Posts
    #7  

    Default Re: Anyone know a fix for the camera error .4003 issue?

    I recently had this error on my 32 GB PB and called tech support. They ran me through an hour or more of attempts to correct it. When it was all said and done they sent me a Fed Ex Box, I sent it back and 1 week later a brand new 32 GB showed up. Additionally, my PB was a year old, they were happy to activate my 90 days service contract so all in all I am pleased but a bit concerned that the camera problem might be reoccurring........wait and see.
  8. trsbbs's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    4,556 Posts
    PIN
    BBM is useless to me. Now I can't delete it!
    #8  

    Default Anyone know a fix for the camera error .4003 issue?

    Quote Originally Posted by geneseque27 View Post
    Everything on my playbook works perfectly except the front facing camera. I've read a lot of posts with this same type of problem. Has there been a fix yet? If there hasn't does anyone think this issue might be resolved with BB10? I hope it will seeing as how it will replace the 2.1 files.

    Please Help.
    Seem to be still to many issues (bugs)with the PB OS.
    Can't wait to see what bugs BB10 will have.

    Same old RIM

    Tim



    Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    Verizon Z10 STL100-4 OS: v10.3.0.1154
    Playbook OS v2.1.0.1526 and not used!
    BlackBerry continues to act anti-American! Another no U.S. launch for the largest dollar making country (BBs own numbers) for them on the planet!
  9. GreyGhostRos's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    439 Posts
    Global Posts
    457 Global Posts
    #9  

    Default Re: Anyone know a fix for the camera error .4003 issue?

    I too am stuck with both cameras dead.. I'm trying to fix it for a bit before calling up support.. I'll have to do a bit of searching where to contact RIM in India though..
  10. julianrt's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    131 Posts
    #10  

    Default Re: Anyone know a fix for the camera error .4003 issue?

    Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhostRos View Post
    I too am stuck with both cameras dead.. I'm trying to fix it for a bit before calling up support.. I'll have to do a bit of searching where to contact RIM in India though..
    my front cam is also dead...called RIM Support today, they will repair my PB - no other solution given by the supporter...
  11. silvanus55's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    78 Posts
    PIN
    32782341
    #11  

    Default Anyone know a fix for the camera error .4003 issue?

    Quote Originally Posted by julianrt View Post
    my front cam is also dead...called RIM Support today, they will repair my PB - no other solution given by the supporter...
    had the same problem. call rim and they repair it to. the tech person i talk to said it came up as an software error.


    Sent from my BlackBerry 9550 using Tapatalk
  12. geneseque27's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    12 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #12  

    Default Re: Anyone know a fix for the camera error .4003 issue?

    Quote Originally Posted by BKillar View Post
    I recently had this error on my 32 GB PB and called tech support. They ran me through an hour or more of attempts to correct it. When it was all said and done they sent me a Fed Ex Box, I sent it back and 1 week later a brand new 32 GB showed up. Additionally, my PB was a year old, they were happy to activate my 90 days service contract so all in all I am pleased but a bit concerned that the camera problem might be reoccurring........wait and see.
    I Just called them this morning. They will be sending me a FedEx Box soon. I have a question for you though, did they charge you any fees? Because I was reading the email and I saw fees might be involved.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: Anyone know a fix for the camera error .4003 issue?

    It would be very nice, at this point, to find out what is killing the camera? Apparently, it generally canNOT be fixed by the user and needs warranty repair work but it seems that Rim is aware that it is an issue. So, I suspect that there is something that triggers this error/problem and maybe our MODERATORS can do a little sleuthing around.
    Thanked by:
    madman0141 (10-28-2012) 
    madman0141 likes this.
  14. AliasCBG's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    74 Posts
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    #14  

    Default Re: Anyone know a fix for the camera error .4003 issue?

    I had this same camera problem over a month ago.

    Front facing camera not working, 4003 error

    I first want to give props to CrackBerry for giving us a forum to find answer to problems like this, then to F1 who first made the prior suggestion in the above thread, and last to RIM Customer Service who went way above expectations.

    Both front and back camera was working when I first got the PB (used on ebay) in June and until mid-Sept, the cameras was working fine. Then out of the blue, I got the black camera screen and "error.4003.picture" box when I try to click a shot from the blank screen.

    Back then, I was on Beta 2.1.0.560 when it first came out and did not go to beta 0.840 because the user reviews have been mixed. As I had no problems with Beta .560 prior for a month, I surmised my problem was not the OS.

    I had tried multiple 3-button reboots and testing the Android-Camera via Ghost Commander. Still no go.

    I did not try the Security Wipe as prior forum comments suggested that would not work.

    Since my PB was used, I thought warranty was out of the question.

    On a whim, I took F1's suggestion and contacted RIM's Customer Service directly by phone (US).

    I had nothing to lose and maybe hoped that if they couldnt help, then at least point me to an alternative option.

    Some things to note. Patience and kindness goes a long way to grease the wheels here. This one phone call took over an hour. Over that time, I made sure my conversation was pleasant and if they imagined hearing my voice they could surmise I was actually smiling while talking to them.

    I patiently explained and re-explained my problem and what fix-it attempts I had already did to the first Customer Rep until she was convinced that the problem needed to be escalated up to Tech Support. Then I was asked to repeat to Tech Support what I had already told the first rep. Despite already trying the same various methods to reset the camera before calling, I followed every instruction Tech Support wanted me to do to without complaint. Again, I did it all with a "smile" so to speak.

    Finally, Tech Support surmised that the problem was hardware and the PB needed to be fixed. I told them I do not believe I was under warranty but they said since that my PB was not previously registered under warranty, that my PB warranty had not expired and the replacement cost was free.

    I dont want to unfairly take advantage of my situation, so I re-iterated that I was not the original owner and the item was used on ebay. But despite that, they replaced my PB with another. A replacement PB in a FEDEX package arrived two days later and all at no cost to me (other than time to reinstalling apps, the Desktop Backup did not work).

    I had no reason to expect my problem to be resolved this quickly and positively. Maybe because of RIM's current struggles that I may have benefited from RIM realizing that the replacement cost for a little more goodwill goes a long way. So if that is true, then maybe my post is small reward for their goodwill.
    Last edited by AliasCBG; 10-27-2012 at 11:21 AM.
    geneseque27 likes this.
  15. geneseque27's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    12 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #15  

    Default Re: Anyone know a fix for the camera error .4003 issue?

    Quote Originally Posted by AliasCBG View Post
    I had this same camera problem over a month ago.

    Front facing camera not working, 4003 error

    I first want to give props to CrackBerry for giving us a forum to find answer to problems like this, then to F1 who first made the prior suggestion in the above thread, and last to RIM Customer Service who went way above expectations.

    Both front and back camera was working when I first got the PB (used on ebay) in June and until mid-Sept, the cameras was working fine. Then out of the blue, I got the black camera screen and "error.4003.picture" box when I try to click a shot from the blank screen.

    Back then, I was on Beta 2.1.0.560 when it first came out and did not go to beta 0.840 because the user reviews have been mixed. As I no problems with Beta .560 prior for a month, I surmised my problem was not the OS.

    I had tried multiple 3-button reboots and testing the Android-Camera via Ghost Commander. No go.

    I did not try the Security Wipe as prior forum comments suggested that would work.

    Since my PB was used, I thought warranty was out of the question.

    On a whim, I took F1's suggestion and contacted RIM's Customer Service directly by phone (US).

    I had nothing to lose and maybe hoped that if they couldnt help, then at least point me to an alternative option.

    Some things to note. Patience and kindness goes a long way to grease the wheels here. This one phone call took over an hour. Over that time, I made sure my conversation was pleasant and if they imagined hearing my voice they could surmise I was actually smiling while talking to them.

    I patiently explained and re-explained my problem and what fix-it attempts I had already did to the first Customer Rep until she was convinced that the problem needed to be escalated up to Tech Support. Then I was asked to repeat to Tech Support what I had already told the first rep. Despite already trying the same various methods to reset the camera before calling, I followed every instruction Tech Support wanted me to do to without complaint. Again, I did it all with a "smile" so to speak.

    Finally, Tech Support surmised that the problem was hardware and the PB needed to be fixed. I told them I do not believe I was under warranty but they said since that my PB was not previously registered under warranty, that my PB warranty had not expired and the replacement cost was free.

    I dont want to unfairly take advantage of my situation, so I re-iterated that I was not the original owner and the item was used on ebay. But despite that, they replaced my PB with another. A replacement PB in a FEDEX package arrived two days later and all at no cost to me (other than time to reinstalling apps, the Desktop Backup did not work).

    I had no reason to expect my problem to be resolved this quickly and positively. Maybe because of RIM's current struggles that I may have benefited from RIM realizing that the replacement cost for a little more goodwill goes a long way. So if that is true, then maybe my post is small reward for their goodwill.
    Oh thank God! I thought this might cost me money that I didn't have. This made me feel a lot better. Thank-you!
  16. Revampd's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    193 Posts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    #16  

    Default Re: Anyone know a fix for the camera error .4003 issue?

    Yes, yes, and yes to the above. The nice folks at RIM extended my warranty and fixed my Playbook for free... Same camera error. RIM obviously knows about this camera bug by now but is more focused on the upcoming new OS than fixing the old which would take an effort better spent on the new.

    Lets give RIM a break on this. They are making good on out of warranty repairs for free when many (probably most) would look for a way to weasel out of it. Just my thoughts on the subject.
  17. GreyGhostRos's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    439 Posts
    Global Posts
    457 Global Posts
    #17  

    Default Re: Anyone know a fix for the camera error .4003 issue?

    I'm not really complaining.. Cos I know happens with everything..
    But I want to try and figure out a fix.. Cos if an update makes it happen it has to be software and not hardware..
    I've done debrick, wipe and load, presently doing a battery kill..
    I give myself 2 more days before going to RIM for support..
  18. Revampd's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    193 Posts
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    #18  

    Default Re: Anyone know a fix for the camera error .4003 issue?

    I wasn't suggesting that anyone was complaining. There have been so many threads about the "camera bug". I just wanted to toss out how helpful RIM was with this particular issue. I tried everything i could to fix it before calling RIM. It is definitely software related. My Playbook was returned within 5 days working just fine again.

    From everything I've read, this bug has been there through a few versions now. If it was "user fixable" they certainly would have told people how... or someone in these forums would.

    Hopefully the new BB10 software will use NONE of the original code we now have in our Playbooks. I fear that if it does, we will see this bug popping up forever. Then we can complain!
  19. #19  

    Default Re: Anyone know a fix for the camera error .4003 issue?

    Quote Originally Posted by GreyGhostRos View Post
    I'm not really complaining.. Cos I know happens with everything..
    But I want to try and figure out a fix.. Cos if an update makes it happen it has to be software and not hardware..
    I've done debrick, wipe and load, presently doing a battery kill..
    I give myself 2 more days before going to RIM for support..
    As Revampd noted, if it was user-fixable, it would have been done by now. If I recall, one person was able to fix "some" camera issue by going back to an earlier OS version when that was still possible. You can NO longer go back to that particular version. Again, rim has not come up with any fixes other than RMA. Just get it over with and good luck
  20. madman0141's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,866 Posts
    PIN
    666
    #20  

    Default Re: Anyone know a fix for the camera error .4003 issue?

    RIM needs to come up with a fixed for this so people don't have to spend an hour on the phone with them for a known issue that they did.
    RIM at least needs to admit their mistakes from the camera issue to the upgrade weeks ago that they had to pull.
    Keep acting like this and nobody will use RIM in modernized countries.
    [B]Real BlackBerry Phones Have Real Keyboards
    Q10 the finest BlackBerry
  21. poolman5's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    17 Posts
    #21  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AliasCBG View Post
    I had this same camera problem over a month ago.

    Front facing camera not working, 4003 error


    Back then, I was on Beta 2.1.0.560 when it first came out and did not go to beta 0.840 because the user reviews have been mixed. As I had no problems with Beta .560 prior for a month, I surmised my problem was not the OS.
    Thanks for the time you took writing about your experience. I'm having the same problem with one of our 32GB Playbooks. Because it worked originally and stopped for some unknown reason, I'd first think it was something with the OS... unless it was physically damaged. I'm tempted to wait until BB10 but may try your advice and see how it goes. Thanks again.

    UPDATE: Called the support number for Canada. The person on the phone was very helpful and they are sending the FedEx box for us to ship the unit back to them. Because the unit wasn't registered, support registered it for us and started our 90 support period. (Playbook was over 1 year old). Very pleased with the experience so far. We have 3 other Playbooks and they've all been fine *knock on wood*.
    Last edited by kenpool; 01-06-2013 at 06:19 PM.
  22. snow_stipple's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    133 Posts
    #22  

    Default

    When playing around I've got the two types of 4003 errors. What I've noticed is:

    'Camera Error error.4003 picture' occurs when opening the Playbook's camera app and trying to take a picture when another app was still using the camera.

    'Camera Error error.4003 video' occurs when opening the Playbook's camera app and trying to record video when the camera was still in use by another app.

    When I got the messages the other apps accessing the camera were Ghost Commander and/or Quick App Manager. These are the only installed apps I have that can access the camera but any other apps that access the camera likely would have the same effect. (I don't use FB so its camera permission is off.)

    There may be more reasons for these errors but my experience was the above. Closing the other app always corrected the problem for me.
    Thanked by:
    curve-20 (01-19-2013) 
  23. Kostas Pasvantis's Avatar
    CrackBerry Newbie

    Posts
    2 Posts
    #23  

    Default

    I have the same problem with my playbook. It's about 1 year old and i have the problem more than 4 months. I tried everything all forums suggests but nothing. I love in Greece and i bought my tablet from France. I greece there is no support for blackberry and don't know What To do? Is there a european support center or something like this, that i can call? Can anyone Help me?
  24. snow_stipple's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    133 Posts
    #24  

    Default

    Kostas,

    You indicated that you've tried many posted suggestions. I'll ask these questions anyway.

    Does the camera work through the Playbook's Video Chat?

    Does it work when you try and use AOL AV's Video Chat? AV by AOL - Let's video chat!

    Have you installed other apps or gone to any sites that had camera permissions? If so, have you tried re-opening them, accessing and then exiting their camera function, then closing the app again to be sure the other app was fully exited.

    Does the camera work if you turn off wifi?

    Do you have a phone bridged to the Playbook? If so, have you tried the camera with bridge/bluetooth turned off on the Playbook?

    (After trying any of the above a shutdown and restart should be done.)


    How much free storage is left on your Playbook?

    How much free memory is left on the Playbook when you try the camera? The other day I had a large number of app open and got a 4003 picture message when trying the Playbook camera even though none of the other open apps had camera permission. Previously all the numerous 4003 error messages I've created were only possible when an additional app that had camera permission was already open or not exited properly.

    Also, can you take screen shots by pressing the - and + audio buttons at the same time? I don't think the screen capture uses the camera but I am wondering if there is no clicking sound and a notification in the top left appears which, when opened, says you are out of graphics memory. Here's that image:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone know a fix for the camera error .4003 issue?-img_20130220.jpg  
  25. cwilsn5193's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    39 Posts
    #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snow_stipple View Post

    Does the camera work through the Playbook's Video Chat?
    Does it work when you try and use AOL AV's Video Chat? AV by AOL - Let's video chat!
    Have you installed other apps or gone to any sites that had camera permissions? If so, have you tried re-opening them, accessing and then exiting their camera function, then closing the app again to be sure the other app was fully exited.
    Does the camera work if you turn off wifi?
    Do you have a phone bridged to the Playbook? If so, have you tried the camera with bridge/bluetooth turned off on the Playbook?
    (After trying any of the above a shutdown and restart should be done.)
    How much free storage is left on your Playbook?
    How much free memory is left on the Playbook when you try the camera? The other day I had a large number of app open and got a 4003 picture message when trying the Playbook camera even though none of the other open apps had camera permission. Previously all the numerous 4003 error messages I've created were only possible when an additional app that had camera permission was already open or not exited properly.

    Also, can you take screen shots by pressing the - and + audio buttons at the same time? I don't think the screen capture uses the camera but I am wondering if there is no clicking sound and a notification in the top left appears which, when opened, says you are out of graphics memory. Here's that image:
    I have these same problems. I have rebooted and it gives me the error in the camera app. There are no permissions allowed to the camera, the video chat does open to the front facing camera, AV by Aim opens to the front camera, there is no phone bridged, there is enough memory and with the wifi off I still receive the error.
    Thanked by:
    snow_stipple (02-28-2013) 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. So anyone have a fix for the DM Back up errors?
    By Blacklac in forum BlackBerry PlayBook
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-18-2011, 09:37 PM
  2. Anyone come up with a fix for the BBM Group keyboard issue?
    By Valace2 in forum BlackBerry Storm2
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-01-2010, 01:06 PM
  3. Anyone come up with a fix for the BBM Group keyboard issue?
    By Valace2 in forum Native BlackBerry OS Apps
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-01-2010, 01:06 PM
  4. Anyone have a fix for the white bars on 95XX themes
    By rellims in forum Theme Developers Corner
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-09-2009, 10:50 AM
  5. Has anyone found a fix for the screen distortion/wave issue?
    By intoflatlines in forum BlackBerry Curve 8900
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-21-2009, 07:49 PM

Posting Permissions