Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Anyone with inside contacts know what goes wrong with the Camera (app)?

I am now curious, responding to the umpteenth thread on a broken camera, if anyone with Rim contacts or insider information knows or can find out what exactly goes wrong when the camera goes "missing" for whatever reason? It appears that once it goes "missing" it needs to be fixed by RIM and that reinstalling the OS or wiping the pb does not fix it. It generally appears that a user canNOT fix the camera once the error crops up.
    CrackBerry User

Just go to it through your pictures.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    3,863 Global Posts
    PIN
    excepting applications

What about a nuke and rewrite with cfp? Has anyone tried this with the camera issues?
    I waited...It launched...Im still waiting...
  4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  

I should have been clearer. I did not mean "missing" as the app icon is gone but as in the camera or its app is BROKEN and shows an error message or some odd looking graphics or gray scale bars or similar defect. The fact that Rim seems willing (nothing guaranteed) to fix the pb if this error occurs even outside of the original warranty period means it is some inherent defect.

I would like to know if anyone has followed up to find out what it is that goes bad? In some cases it sounds like software or the OS breaks it but then it canNOT just be user repaired by reloading the OS.
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    862 Global Posts

I think it is a hardware failure. When mine had the issue, that was the general consensus when I jumped through the hoops with 1st and 2nd level support and did everything possible software-wise. I doubt we'll get an official answer though. The good news is I haven't had it on any of my other PlayBooks (although the refurb I had got back ended up later getting another hardware issue - the digitizer wouldn't respond most of the time).
    CrackBerry Abuser

The attached picture and caption is from ifixit's Playbook teardown. It makes an interesting point regarding the one assembly for the buttons and the camera. Just the proximity to buttons constantly being pressed may be affecting the camera portion of the assembly or the cameras themselves.

The link to all the pictures of this teardown is:

BlackBerry PlayBook Teardown - iFixit

There is a current thread called Playbook Playbook screen display issue and the seventh poster does talk about opening up the Playbook and fixing his camera issue.

The proximity, if it did have any effect, would be hardware but I still believe most camera issues are due to having one app trying to use the camera when the camera is still in use by another app. Or a camera app's software is conflicting in some way. I can't see a Playbook hardware problem giving error messages like those 4003 camera, 4003 video, the camera is in use, or the another application is using the camera ones. I've even got a camera black screen once which I was able to correct.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone with inside contacts know what goes wrong with the Camera (app)?-img_20121311.jpg  
    Last edited by snow_stipple; 01-19-2013 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Clarified a couple of remarks
  7. Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

Some how, the camera or the app gets blown away and once it does, it seems that only rim can fix it. Hardware or software or bowels of the OS, it is odd and I was hoping someone might have pleasantly inquired of Rim what the heck is the issue!!!!