My GPS just doesn't seem to work. Bing maps worked only once for me. Point said I was in Calgary -- I am in Florida.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    04-21-11 01:02 PM
    The GPS chip is not being utilized by RIM currently. Hopefully it will be turned on in future OS updates.
    04-21-11 01:04 PM
    I wish they would turn it on soon so I could use Poynt!
    04-21-11 01:06 PM
    The GPS chip is not being utilized by RIM currently. Hopefully it will be turned on in future OS updates.
    If it was off, why did it work once?
    04-21-11 01:13 PM
    mine did the same thing bing definitely put a pin on my location, but i have since not been able to do it again
    04-21-11 01:23 PM
    Poynt gave me my location last night but it stopped working almost immediately and hasn't worked since. In fact, I noticed that when the gps was working in Poynt a new icon appeared on the main screen called "Gas" which allowed you to look up local gas prices. Now that icon is gone.
    04-21-11 01:28 PM
    Same here. This thing is really pretty badly crippled by RIM and by some carriers.
    04-21-11 01:29 PM
    If it was off, why did it work once?
    Really? Mine never worked at all, I'm crossing my fingers that they fully enable it soon.
    04-21-11 01:29 PM
    you can get GPS estimates via wifi and probably via the bridge. This might explain the "working" some people have seen
    04-21-11 01:31 PM
    Poynt works about as functionally as GPS when you're on wifi. But if Bridged....nope. Bummerrr for me since I'll be traveling a lot and won't have WiFi for a lot of places
    04-21-11 01:40 PM
    you can get GPS estimates via wifi and probably via the bridge. This might explain the "working" some people have seen
    Poynt pinpointed my location to my exact house number and street last night. That was very precise. And now it doesn't even show me anything. It really seemed that the gps was working for a bit of time last night, but I don't really know much about how gps works. The "Gas" icon was really neat and now it's gone.
    04-21-11 01:58 PM
    My GPS just doesn't seem to work. Bing maps worked only once for me. Point said I was in Calgary -- I am in Florida.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    You could always move to Calgary. Problem solved!
    gladiatorofyale likes this.
    04-21-11 02:03 PM
    open up google maps on the PB and see what it can find. It will tell you that you are accurate to XXXX meters
    04-21-11 02:03 PM
    My GPS is working fine. I turned on poynt and left it sitting in my window. Took at least 10 mins if not longer to get a lock which is common for many gps devices when they first start up. Now works great.
    04-21-11 03:05 PM
    My GPS is working fine. I turned on poynt and left it sitting in my window. Took at least 10 mins if not longer to get a lock which is common for many gps devices when they first start up. Now works great.
    GPS lock should take 10 seconds max, not 10 minutes...
    04-21-11 03:25 PM
    Both Poynt and Bing Maps are working on mine now.
    04-21-11 03:30 PM
    My GPS shows my location in POYNT and in Bing. It is off by maybe 200 feet. POYNT used to show Calagery like everyone else but now it is correct. Very interesting.
    04-21-11 04:16 PM
    gps works for me now ever since i updated my playbook this afternoon with the 2mb file.
    04-21-11 05:10 PM
    gps works for me now ever since i updated my playbook this afternoon with the 2mb file.
    Which 2mb file?
    04-21-11 05:38 PM
    Which 2mb file?
    He probably deleted an app or program that was originally on the PB.

If you do that and check for updates, it will re-download that app/program and install it. That's where the 2mb update comes from.
    04-21-11 05:44 PM
    He probably deleted an app or program that was originally on the PB.

If you do that and check for updates, it will re-download that app/program and install it. That's where the 2mb update comes from.
    Gotcha.. any other ideas to get the gps working? I still can't get any apps to read my location.
    04-21-11 07:00 PM
    Gotcha.. any other ideas to get the gps working? I still can't get any apps to read my location.

I don't think it's working correctly. It HAS worked for me, but without rhyme or reason. At midnight outside on a clear night, nothing. I even received a message that the geolocation was muted. Then out of the blue in the morning POYNT found my location. One thing I THINK I noticed is that after a successful GPS connect, starting another GPS app will ruin the connection until a reboot. A reboot also seems to help the GPS work. That said, if this does not improve, the GPS feature will be near useless.
    04-21-11 07:26 PM
    well mine aint working ! could this be a hardware malfunction or software.should i get another one ?
    11-25-11 05:27 PM
    today i used nokia maps to track my progress from palm springs to long beach. it kept track of my location, real time, with no problem.
    when you first use a gps location, you do have to normally wait 10 minutes or more to get a first fix, then all the registers in the gps is filled and there after the fix might take seconds rather than minutes. the same is true if you change your location by 100 miles, sometimes less.
    i use nokia maps because i cant got google to work on the PB. someone mentioned use google maps to check the accuracy of your location. how did you do that on the PB?
    11-25-11 06:12 PM
    I paid for magellan compass and it works pretty good. bridged (no wifi)
    11-25-11 06:58 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD