just wondering if anyone else is having problems with the wi-fi connection dropping on a regular basis? don't think it's my router or anything like that because my husband has his iPad connected to our wi-fi and his device rarely drops the connection so just wondering what you think it could be? highly annoying as I continuously have to go into my wi-fi area and click on "saved networks" and then reestablish the connection

thanks
    05-01-11 08:55 AM
    I got my PB three days ago and have noticed as of yesterday my PB will sometimes work on my home wifi network and sometimes (like now) wont work. It says it is connected but won't connect to it. Big pain in my ****!!
    Last edited by aspenedelen; 05-01-11 at 09:28 AM. Reason: grammar
    jackiebrendan likes this.
    05-01-11 09:01 AM
    There are a couple other threads about this, search for them and there are some setting suggested for fixes. I tried a bunch but in the end swapped mine and no issues since. Gone thru 3 airports, 2 hotels and multiple places without issue.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-01-11 09:17 AM
    I work in IT so I was asked at work to buy and test one, and so far I've had nothing but trouble with this unit. Both WiFi and Bluetooth dont work as they should

I have an SMC Gigabit Router/Switch from Rogers Cable my internet provider.

Before Anyone says its my router. I connect my BlackBerry Bold 9000, Nintendo Wii, Nintendo DS, IBM Thinkpad Laptop, HP EliteBook Laptop, XBox 360, USB Based Wifi, just to name a few. I even had a guest over with their iPad and iPhone 4 connecting my network via WiFi.

So I think I have a dud. Connection on WiFi keeps dropping, and the signal strength never goes above the bottom 2 bars, even if I'm close to the wifi router.
    Last edited by Analog-X64; 05-01-11 at 09:28 AM.
    05-01-11 09:26 AM
    No problems with mine - works as expected.
    05-01-11 09:41 AM
    Mine works great on most connections, but sometimes when my playbook is connected at my girlfriends house it will drop the connection and will require me to shut off my wireless router and turn it back on in order for it connect again.
    05-01-11 09:50 AM
    I also experience dropped connections. I was thinking they occur when I have weak signal.
    05-01-11 11:03 AM
    yes i agree with the weak signal comment. however, the first day, mine dropped wifi 5 times within a short period. since then, it doesnt. same os build too. weird.
    05-01-11 11:22 AM
    Mine dropped 0 times in the last 12 days that I have it. I am on verizon Fios.
    05-01-11 11:27 AM
    I've dropped three times just in the last hour on my PB, having 2- bars, and sitting here with my laptop, which shows full bars on the antenna meter. I've also dropped tethered to my storm2 which had full bars at the time...don't know if this means anything though.
    05-01-11 11:30 AM
    See the thread on hand interference from the way it's held
    05-01-11 11:34 AM
    No issues here with wi-fi 64g model
    05-01-11 12:37 PM
    I had issues also. I thought I had solved the problem after spending hours on the phone with BB and with my Netgear people. Changed all the settings on router, it seemed to work for a little while...then same issue.
    Yesterday I went to Best Buy and returned it for another Playbook. No issues so far, except finding my way though the Blackberry ID process, and trying to change to the new tablet.

Seems good so far today. The people at the store know even less about this item than most of us, so they are absolutely no help. Yesterday, the lady at the mobile desk said...it is working now. She didn't even have it connected to the WiFi, just that the tablet saw the connection. Then, she just said "no one has had any issues", so then I knew she didn't know what she was talking about. She did ask me if I had charged it, and I almost lost it then. I had just finished telling her I have had it since the day the tablet was released.
    I am loving this thing, only issue now is waiting for my carrier to "approve" it, so the bridge/tether browser is not usable at this time.
    05-01-11 12:52 PM
    Once in a while this happens to me too. I have a strong wifi signal, but when surfing it just stops. My fix so far is to re-start the Playbook from the software button. Pain in the ***, hope updates fix this.
    05-01-11 01:20 PM
    Disconnect your BlackBerry Bridge. That's what I had to do!
    05-01-11 02:46 PM
    Hate to dig up an old conversation, but I had to say that sometimes it's the wifi device itself; whenever the wifi conked out on my Playbook, it also conked out on my mom's iPod. We'd reset the wifi connection via desktop computer & both devices would simultaneously regain their wifi connections.
    Scotter75 likes this.
    01-09-13 12:00 AM
    I also noticed this for a few days after the latest OS update, but since then no problems unless a very weak wifi signal.
    01-10-13 03:04 AM
    I have seen a lot of threads about WiFi issues recently. I have a pretty simple theory about WiFi and the PlayBook. Well... any WiFi connected device. If you are in one place constantly, you will notice that your internet connection will keep strong most of the time. Whereas if you move around a lot, it won't stay strong. It'll act a bit strange. On, off, on off, etc. Because It's like with wire (like an ethernet cable for stand-still devices), it will always give you the signal because it always has a direct way to give you that signal: it knows where to go. Now with wifi, it has to travel through air, hoping to find a reciever with it's code - the WPA/WPA2. It doesn't know where to go, so it'll just be all over the place until it finds your device. When it finds your device, it maintains a, if you will, invisible wire of signal. Like your ethernet, but inexistant. And it knows where it is going. You move and it doesn't neccasarily move with you, it will do most times, but sometimes it looses your device, and starts searching again, and when you stop, this'll all start over again until you move.... possibly.

It's a bit of a messy theory, but I believe this is how it works.
    01-10-13 12:56 PM
    Sometimes my PB will not detect the wifi signal even though my Son is connected through the PS3 and my daughter on her Samsung tab 7 I turn off and on the wifi connection, restart my PB but no luck, I have to reset the router then it will connect...its a pain but it's the only way to connect, doesn't happen frequently, only like once a week and I use it every single day.
    01-12-13 05:19 PM
    Happens to my PB on a regular basis. Drops connection. Have to go into Wifi settings and manually connect, which it does within seconds. Never had a problem with any other. Wii, PS3, Xbox, laptop, my 9780, wifes Galaxy Ace and annoyingly Nexus 7 have never lost their connection. Is there any apps that can monitor wifi signal?
    Malcolm
    01-18-13 11:30 AM
    I had the same thing.

PB would lose connection whilst everything else stayed connected.

Solution? New router!
    01-18-13 11:53 AM
    It is caused by Router settings that the PlayBook does not like, even though all other devices have no problems. Set your router for WPA OR WPA2. For encryption select AES/PSK. On the PlayBook go into the Wifi settings and set them the same. If you have a dual band router, set the PlayBook to run on the 5.0 Ghz band with other devices on 2.5 Ghz. You can also set the PlayBook to run on 802.11n with WPA OR WPA2. And AES/PSK.
    01-18-13 12:10 PM
    Monitor wifi signal using gear. Gear/wifi/?mark in lower left corner of box/diagnostic information: wifi information.
    01-18-13 01:53 PM
    Happens to my PB on a regular basis. Drops connection. Have to go into Wifi settings and manually connect, which it does within seconds. Never had a problem with any other. Wii, PS3, Xbox, laptop, my 9780, wifes Galaxy Ace and annoyingly Nexus 7 have never lost their connection. Is there any apps that can monitor wifi signal?
    Malcolm
    Update. Don't know whether I am tempting fate but, updated the firmware on my router a day ago and my Playbook has had a wi-fi connection ever since. Fingers crossed.
    Malcolm
    01-20-13 04:56 AM
    There's a whole bunch of threads on PB dropping WiFi... and most of the solutions tend to boil down to update the router firmware, or get a more recent router.

Some routers implement a draft N standard, and (anecdotally) the PB seems to be particularly sensitive to non-official N routers compared with other tech. There's little mileage in playing the blame game, and the long term solution appears to be to upgrade the router.

If, like me you have an elderly "G" router and don't want to update to "N", a quick and dirty fix that worked for me was to go into the WiFi setting on the PB and turn off Dual Band (select 2.4GHz). With that single change, my previously intermittent connection became solid.

HTH
    FF22 likes this.
    01-20-13 05:50 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD