Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree11Likes
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

Default Re: Anyone else using "Showcase" (true multitasking mode) instead of default?

Quote Originally Posted by howarmat View Post
    Do you see this leading to some problems?

edit: I guess do you think that means RIM has given everything free will on showcase mode by default OR are things tighter and you cannot achieve the same thing as showcase.
    This is an area where no matter what they do, there will be some devs who manage to screw it up and cause problems.

That said, the new approach requires devs to specify the "run_when_backgrounded" permission, and if nothing else that means RIM can pay extra attention to the app during testing, in order to identify the badly conceived or badly implemented ones. It will also likely not be possible for a crappy app with that permission to achieve "Built For BlackBerry" certification.

Lastly, BB10 will provide a number of new services which ought to eliminate yet more use cases for which developers or users found the Showcase feature (or the ability to ignore that setting and force run-when-backgrounded) useful.

But problems? Sure... there will always be developers who think that in order to make a timer app, they need to have their app use CPU every second to watch the passage of time. ;-)

(Seriously though, I see no way in which this will cause more problems than the existing setup, and simplifying the user experience is almost always a good thing. It wasn't long after the PlayBook launched that I was already suggesting to RIM in various forum posts etc that the whole Application Behavior setting didn't seem to be the right way to go. Both of my apps have always bypassed that, for different reasons, and neither has ever been seen as a problem in terms of battery usage or user experience. I'm glad they took this step and think it's a generally positive move.)
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    Follow us on Twitter or Facebook or visit Engenuity's mobile apps page.
    Thanked by:
    David in Durham (01-08-2013) 

Global Posts
    23,395 Global Posts
    PIN
    24DA0A39

Default Re: Anyone else using "Showcase" (true multitasking mode) instead of default?

Thanks peter as always and i agree its better for the customer this way
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
    CrackBerry Abuser

I use showcase mode exclusively as well. This is most useful to me when I'm playing music videos in the background while playing Stick Tennis in the foreground :-)
    BumbleBee Computing: Developer of native BlackBerry 10 and PlayBook apps
    Beyond Voice Recorder High fidelity recording; wave-form visualization; set and playback selection
    Think-4-U Music Player Adaptive & custom playlists; gesture navigation; sleep-timer (CrackBerry review)
    AutoPlay Media Player Continuous play of your HD videos; auto-bookmarking; gestures enabled; SRT subtitle support; shuffle mode; favorites playlist (CrackBerry review)
    Follow us on twitter
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    13,349 Global Posts
    PIN
    PM me for my pin!

Default Anyone else using "Showcase" (true multitasking mode) instead of default?

I love showcase mode. Love that I can play my videos and just swipe over to check something out on another app real quick and its still playing.

Tapatalking
    CrackBerry Abuser

I always use showcase mode. Initially I thought if I use the default mode, minimizing the apps will pause the apps thus freeing the RAM (like iPads/iPhones do) but no, the RAM usage is the same as showcase mode.
    CrackBerry Genius

Global Posts
    2,659 Global Posts

I actually like it for the fact that if you are working on something and wait on the browser to load a page that you don't have to stare at the browser screen to wait for it to load and can continue on the task in the meantime.
    I got so used to this mode, I could not imagine going back to default.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by ralfyguy View Post
    I actually like it for the fact that if you are working on something and wait on the browser to load a page that you don't have to stare at the browser screen to wait for it to load and can continue on the task in the meantime.
    I got so used to this mode, I could not imagine going back to default.

++ I know this drains the battery but I can live with it if I'm home and not on the go.
    CrackBerry User

How do you guys enable showcase mode?
    CrackBerry Genius

Settings/General/Application Behavior
    CrackBerry Master

PIN
    333CD502

showcase all day
    "If the music is too loud,notify the driver and he will kindly let you out"

"Once You go Black you'll never go back" (blackberry)
    CrackBerry Abuser

Since I read about it here on Crackberry a couple months back ...all the time now !! Plus whenever ensbling any demo units sitting idle at a shop I also enable 'showcase' on it ! nite...
    "G-Gauge may not RULE, But it GROWS on Ya !! " djc'99
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123