What remote access do you use for this?
    I too am interested in this. It would be GREAT to be able to get on my company's server, which I now use Microsoft Remote Desktop for from my laptop.
    05-14-11 09:29 AM
    +1 on the citrix app. That will make mine vastly more useful at work. For now, it works well as a tree saver for .pdf's and word/excel files that I need to reference from time to time. Had them on the Bold, but vastly easier to read and navigate on the PB.
    05-14-11 09:39 AM
    I edit a print kitesurfing magazine and edit / review articles and pdfs, as well as scrutinize photographs on the PlayBook when I'm on the road.

I also use it to generate the QR codes that we print in the mag. Here's a little photo that I put in the forthcoming issue...

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    05-15-11 01:31 PM
    I use my PB also for ADA and building surveys. I use excel and the formulas don't work on my PB...hoping for a 3rd party app or something...
    05-15-11 02:10 PM
    I work as a regional field IT supervisor, for a national healthcare company. Usually I would need an encrypted device, but since i can access our network, email, and exchange calendar through bridge mode, i don't have to worry about encryption. I use my PB regularly to record device numbers of equipment worked on, to access and update my time/payroll web interface, to update our work ticket system, answer emails, approve electronic expense reports. i am even able to remote support systems using VNC. I love this device.
    05-15-11 02:51 PM
    aVNC works like a champ! I use it every day now and leave my laptop at home! Having Citrix Receiver will be nice (coming soon!) but for now I just VNC into my laptop and Citrix from there..

I proctor exams for a living. I wifi tether my iPhone to my PB to browse the web and watch online videos when I'm supposed to be monitoring the testers. I would love if the PB had a remote desktop app that allowed me to connect to a Windows work computer to edit a few spreadsheets everyday.
    jajano likes this.
    05-28-11 07:46 PM
    I have two companies; one that services the dry cleaning industry and one that manufacturers water saving devices. I use my PB to review parts lists, manuals, etc. for equipment in PDF files. I also use it for showing customers photos of installed systems, new equipment etc. I like the video ability to show MPGs that I have made for my water saving products. With 64GB available, I can keep everything on it.

The size is a big plus for me as well. If I am in a suit, it fits in the breast pocket of my jacket. I had an IPad before and the size was somewhat inconvenient.

The only problem that I see is that there aren't any updates lately. I am desparate for them as the Bridge Browser is practically useless.

Lorne Tontegode
    Langstaff Equipment Services Ltd.
    Freeloader Products Inc.
    05-28-11 08:48 PM
    I own a computer and tech repair center. I use mine for just about everything... It has pretty much replaced the laptop I am typing on, but I am a gamer so that will not fully happen. For now...
    05-28-11 09:11 PM
    Use Documents to Go on PC... through BB 9630 to Playbook.. read journal papers, do reviews.. do some editing with Word to go, etc. Also, great to manage, respond to BB email on larger screen... keep up with newspapers, too... fills gap between Lenovo x61 Tablet and BB phone...
    05-28-11 11:34 PM
    I'm a photographer, my plan has always been to use it business. I'm still looking for an app that I can create and edit client contracts and have them be able to sign them on the pb and then be able to email them a copy. I can already use it to show my portfolio, and pricing, but just need that contract app so I can seal the deal right on the spot.
    05-29-11 05:19 AM
    My playbook is freezing when I zoom in on my construction drawing PDFs. They range from 1 to 4 MB in size. The PDF size is 36x48 I believe. Can anybody help?
    12-18-11 12:05 PM
    I have a chimney company, we use it for scheduling,general note taking and inspections right now. When I find a reliable pdf converter i will use it for invoicing too, if i dont switch to Quickbooks online. I also use it to show customers before and after photos of past work.
    12-18-11 12:45 PM
    Aerospace industry for me. Use it in the office, in the hangars and on the ramp. We have 5 in use right now and they fill our needs perfectly. The security and Bridge sealed the deal for us. Being out on the ramp or in the field on top of a helicopter and still accessing everything I need through my phone is way cool. I travel with my PB as well. Editing pdf files and Citrix would be icing on the cake!
    12-18-11 03:58 PM
    I just attended a two day meeting with 5 Japanese partners from Hitachi and thirteen Americans. The Japanese had some small seiko devices that looked like small webbooks which they opened once and quickly closed when they discovered no wifi.

Everyone brought laptops that sat in the corner after it was discovered the conference room table was big enough to only seat ten of the 18 in attendance and there was no wifi. I was the only one with a tablet and 3G which fit neatly, discretely and comfortably in my lap. I was the only one that could discretely look up info on the internet that was required at key decision making points.

I was the only one following along in the presentation with my PDF viewer, swiping forward or back for reference to previous pages that had been projected. As others struggled with paper copies, I was meanwhile handling email, doing research and other tasks as the meeting dragged into territory not associated with my role, while others were falling asleep from boredom. I was even keeping up with Crackberry.

I was the most informed having the internet at my fingertips, while also doing other work referring to documents I had uploaded to Box.net before my trip, and appearing attentive at the same time. I could even look up Japanese customs and words I did not understand.

I was the only one with a playbook.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 12-18-11 at 04:34 PM.
    12-18-11 04:31 PM
    I use mine in the hospital that I work in...everything from reading journal articles, to music in the operating room, to videos for anxious children.
    12-18-11 04:47 PM
    aVNC works like a champ! I use it every day now and leave my laptop at home! Having Citrix Receiver will be nice (coming soon!) but for now I just VNC into my laptop and Citrix from there..
    I have done that locally on my wifi network- never tried it remotely does it work through bridge? I suppose I could just try it...
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 12-18-11 at 05:13 PM.
    12-18-11 04:57 PM
    I work for a Civil Engineering Consultant and I am an Engineering Technologist, outside Project Manager/Inspector. I used my PlayBook EVERY day on my job. My last project was 7 months in duration. It involved the installation and replacement of 900 meters (2,925 feet) of watermains, sanitary and storm sewers, laterals and total road reconstruction. I have hundreds of pre-construction photographs loaded on my 32Gb PlayBook that I used as reference. I kept totals and records of granular tickets, sand fill, 20mm clear stone and asphalt tickets. I did my daily construction reports on my PlayBook. Of course, I could view and answer my emails from the office, from the City, from the Contractor and suppliers. What I really liked was, if I am on my PlayBook and a call comes in on my BB Bold 9780, it lists the person who is calling (I think it even rings or buzzes). I can update my daily planner (calendar). My phone is tethered to my PlayBook 24/7. I have a 6Gb on my phone and I don't think that I have ever used more than 1.5Gb's in a month.

I never thought of loading PDF drawings on my PlayBook, but I will try it on my next project.

I listed my PlayBook as MY PlayBook because I bought it myself back in May (actually when this last project started) and didn't bill it to the Company. I paid full price, except for the 15% added tax because we had a new Staples store opening up and everything in the store was 15% off. At the time, I couldn't justify it as a business expense because I didn't know what it could do. I didn't know that it would be a valuable tool for my work. Because I use it so much and it saves me time at my job, I put down an extra 0.5 hour/day to offset the cost of MY PlayBook. Don't worry the Company has paid for My PlayBook a couple of times over, without even knowing it. No one else in the office has a PlayBook...some have personal iPads and Samsungs, but they all seem interested in My PlayBook.

And the other great thing about the PlayBook is the size. It can be locked away, out of site in my truck's armrest when I am not using it. An iPad wouldn't fit in there. I can put it in my "orange" construction vest or overcoat. Heck, I can even put it in my back pocket. The size is just perfect. I have the Blackberry folding "leather" case protecting MY PlayBook.

Did I say I love My PlayBook?
    Last edited by crunch27; 12-18-11 at 05:02 PM.
    jafobabe likes this.
    12-18-11 04:58 PM
    I bought the PB and see the use to look at specifications and drawings as the reason to have the security of the BB system through my 9810. I also bought the file app at the BB app world to access Dropbox and Box for files is very convenient and powerful. As well, I have most the pro. apps I need. I would like to see a remote printing app to produce pdfs. i could then access my printer back at the office. Finally the BB will survive because it (1) it is lot more data efficient than Apple, (2) still is the most secure system in the world (very important to me). It just needs positive press. After all as a lifelong Mac user I went through the neardeath experience with Macs in 1998 and I know innovation will be rewarded. I am back to the Blackberry-Playbook combo because it can internally tether without the Telcos in my backpocket! We need healthy competition which is why we need the BB.
    12-18-11 05:02 PM
    I'm an automotive technician and use mine quite a bit to look up service and repair information while working. Looking up all kinds of information and being able to remotely update the trouble ticket keeps my service writers and customers happy since I have access to vehicle information from where ever I am.
    12-18-11 05:04 PM
    I use it also, I work in the rail transportation business and always use it to view pdf's of the projects Im in charge of. but as I mentioned in another post, it would be great if i could edit the pdf's, lets say with an application like Skit then go back to the office hand the file to my Draftsperson and have him implement any changes.
    Really funny is I probably inspect the product you look at if you work a class 1 or some short lines and inspect the cars.

Skit is the best note taking app you are going to find but again acrobat reader is amazing lacking with any support i think i wold find from a native app
    If you were in Canada I might say the same thing.
    I'm not an inspector, I manage the data they collect.
    I still have hopes of setting up Playbooks for the inspectors.
    12-18-11 05:22 PM
    In my forensic and legal research endeavours the BlackBerry PlayBook has become an indispensable tool allowing ready access to a variety of documentation both stored on the tablet, on the smartphone, on remote servers, and of course websites. Professional development and academic courses are easily accessible on this tablet. The multiple connectivity options (WiFi, bridged, MiFi, hotspot) have opened a new world of opportunity. There are many applications missing that would make life easier but if necessary I will develop my own applications as time allows.
    12-18-11 06:29 PM
    In my forensic and legal research endeavours the BlackBerry PlayBook has become an indispensable tool allowing ready access to a variety of documentation both stored on the tablet, on the smartphone, on remote servers, and of course websites. Professional development and academic courses are easily accessible on this tablet. The multiple connectivity options (WiFi, bridged, MiFi, hotspot) have opened a new world of opportunity. There are many applications missing that would make life easier but if necessary I will develop my own applications as time allows.
    May we presume these are flash based? I do not know where I would be without flash for professional tutorials - stuck behind the laptop or desktop I guess - the couch is so much more suitable for this.
    12-18-11 07:15 PM
    I am in construction and use the playbook daily. It saves me $ by not sending PDF files of houses we are wiring to the print shop because now I can zoom in to see all the details. Also being able to look up appliance spec through bridge to know what the wiring requirements are on the site has saved me time and money. Just typing email and text (using sms bridge) responses on the bigger screen is a blessing. I also use PDF Creator Ultimate to take a picture of an hand written estimate or my guys time sheets and email it to my inside person so the bid goes out faster and I am not tied to the office.
    12-18-11 07:20 PM
    I'm hoping the good folks at Mobile Dev Group LLC will develop an app that is available to BB phones for the Playbook as well...AirWxAviation Weather is an app that gives one vital info on weather, weather charts, METAR's, TAF's, locate air ports (works with the GPS).

I already have a APR knee board that fits the PB perfectly, and would love to do away with paper charts.
    12-18-11 07:52 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD