So it seems pretty obvious when updates are coming to the PB. I was definitely one of the sheep checking multiple times a day but now I realize (without the new feature of the playbook TELLING me there is an update) I know RIM isn't going to push them out as often as initially said.

Now I'm worried that part of the fun of the PB was checking for updates... but doesnt that defeat the purpose of having the device? Believe me, I'm faithful to RIM... owned a Blackberry and only a Blackberry since 2004. I also love my Playbook. But is it kind of sad that we, in Crackberry Nation get excited for new updates to our devices? Sort of like we know they aren't good enough and the thrill of getting an update to get "closer" to a relevant device is part of the happiness of having said device?

I'm just spit balling here and have posted many a nasty thing on BGR bashing his constant hatred of RIM despite what RIM may or may not be doing to combat there negative image. But what are we waiting for? Crackberry Nation, I ask you?

Humbly yours,
    RIM Follower and Blackberry Lover
    06-17-11 06:35 PM
    All true gizmo geeks get excited about new software updates for their toys, I don't think there is anything wrong with it.

But I've never been one to push the "Check for Update" button over and over, I figure I will hear about it on Crackberry plenty early enough.
    06-17-11 06:41 PM
    I never checked for updates. They are posted about on CrackBerry before they are released. I know that if CrackBerry hasn't posted an update, there isn't one available.

That being said, it is pretty awesome when an update comes to see how the device has improved. I know that once the SDK, native email/calendar, and Android apps are released that this device will completely change for the better. This is without a doubt a beta OS and once it is upgraded, it will blow everything else away.
    06-17-11 06:43 PM
    I check for updates every now and again even though I should know to only check on late Monday's or Tuesdays.
    06-17-11 06:45 PM
    Updates? What are updates? lol. jk. I rarely check for them nowadays. I only check when I see something on the front page now.
    06-17-11 06:49 PM
    You were just getting a little adrenalin rush from the anticipation. It's like scratching that lotto ticket with the hopes of winning. I got over it because the PB has an Update notification that will show up and this place lights up like the mall on Black Friday...
    06-17-11 06:50 PM
    Updates? What are updates? lol. jk. I rarely check for them nowadays. I only check when I see something on the front page now.
    rarely check nowadays? sheesh the device has only been out 2 months!

i have to agree with everyone here, i simply check when cb do a post, never been the checking for updates type lol
    06-17-11 06:53 PM
    Ok, but hold on, I think I bring up an interesting point. How often with other devices, be they mobile phones or tabs, do users anxiously and FERVENTLY await OS upgrades?

Yes, the PB's specs are superb, the user experience when things are functioning properly are sublime... yet, there's so much more its supposed to do. I agree, when it finally does hit on all cylinders it will be a mammoth device. But are we to continue being faithful for the remaining cylinders to fall into place? Arent we all using phones that are less than adequate, spec-wise (much less OS-wise)?

Here's the question I want an answer to: am I finally falling for the Android/iOS trap? Why, as a Blackberry lover and follower, am I starting to question things? I am saying this only as a person seeking answers and help in this crazy world.
    06-17-11 07:04 PM
    Whatever happened to the amazing demos TAT did at the world conference? They had a 3D media player and gallery app if I'm not mistaken. The scrapbook app in the demo allowed sharing of pics as well... RIM should really utilise TAT's expertise on the UI front because the demos I saw were pretty mind blowing.

Hope we get to see those apps soon.
    06-17-11 07:06 PM
    Whatever happened to the amazing demos TAT did at the world conference? They had a 3D media player and gallery app if I'm not mistaken. The scrapbook app in the demo allowed sharing of pics as well... RIM should really utilise TAT's expertise on the UI front because the demos I saw were pretty mind blowing.

Hope we get to see those apps soon.
    We discussed this a while back, and the consensus was that those apps probably take up too much RAM at this point. They're probably thinning them out as we speak. I cant see any other reason they would ignore such amazing software.

Back to the OP, I know i'll probably see the news on crackberry before I get to the button.
    06-17-11 07:36 PM
    The PB becomes more Awesome with every OTA! It is like buying a new gadget with every OTA release. I knew exactly what i was getting into when I bought the PB (with the exception of auto correction). The critics are tearing RIM a new one, but I don't thick they deserve it. PB is AWESOME and QNX will be the best mobile OS for sometime to come!

RIM shares have taken a beating, now is the time to double down, just in time for the ride up! I am sure Mike and Jim are buying shares as we speak! Go RIM Go!!!!!
    06-17-11 07:42 PM
    Arent we all using phones that are less than adequate, spec-wise (much less OS-wise)?
    No, my phone specs are more than "adequate". They are not the newest, top of the line specs but it doesn't make my phone inadequate. It does what I need it to do well, even though its old. And I much prefer the OS over iOS which I find maddening.

Being excited because an update will bring new and better functionality isn't exactly a bad thing. If it is, then you might want to filter your news for iOS5...
    06-17-11 07:42 PM
    I always wait for it to pop up here to find out what is in it, then I let others update and share what happened to make sure the update doesn't cause some major problem, then I update.
    06-17-11 07:51 PM
    No, my phone specs are more than "adequate". They are not the newest, top of the line specs but it doesn't make my phone inadequate. It does what I need it to do well, even though its old. And I much prefer the OS over iOS which I find maddening.

Being excited because an update will bring new and better functionality isn't exactly a bad thing. If it is, then you might want to filter your news for iOS5...
    No doubt, but what you need it to do is specific to you. I'm only speaking in generalities and in that case its true that BB's currently are underpowered. I like BBOS 6, personally. But my biggest concern is that it requires constant OS upgrades to perform as well as it could perform. The same is true for the PlayBook... with OS updates it will eventually perform as well as it is supposed to but should we be forced to wait for it? I know, I bought the PlayBook knowing it wasnt quite ready for the marketplace to put it on a pedestal. But when is enough enough? Again, I love it for what I need it to do, but with RIM's earnings call yesterday, and the fact that we're about to pass the 60 day mark for native PIM, etc. and there is no announcement of availability of ANY new devices for RIM on top of a delayed 4G PlayBook (which I was looking forward to) when is enough enough? Should we stop believing anything RIM says? I dont want to, but I also want the best in tech too, ya know?
    06-17-11 07:57 PM
    Should we stop believing anything RIM says?
    I think you hit the nail on the head with this quote although for me it's more of a "Do I believe anything that RIM says" anymore. I still am waiting for the Playbook to fulfill the much hyped and promises made for the device. As others have said, it still lacks basic features and in many ways, it feels like it is still in beta. How long does RIM expect us to wait? How long should consumers wait? Or perhaps better stated as why should consumers wait?

And I'm not even talking about native email - I personally do not care for it on the tablet. But why should consumers have to wait for a device to be able to spell check properly; have an option to allow it to stay on for more than 5 minutes at a time; have an ability to download newsfeeds while tethered with the BB News on native app! Especially since the whole internet tethering was described as a major feature on the device.

Stock dropping 20% in one day. Layoffs. Lead stories on CTV news espousing that RIM is in danger of becomming like Palm with its investors, the tech world, and consumers leaving the platform faster than rats on a sinking ship (CTV News at 5 in Vancouver this evening).

All of this makes it hard to believe that RIM can actually deliver on its promises for the Playbook, let alone its hand helds. And that leads to the question of trust: can you trust RIM to deliver on their promises.

As a blind fan of RIM's products, my answer is yes. But if I am truly honest with myself, the answer is no. I do not believe that RIM can be trusted to deliver on its promises. I hope that I am wrong and that both the Playbook and the upcoming phones succeed. But it certainly is harder and harder to to hold on to that belief.
    06-17-11 08:47 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f222/pl...settle-623781/

I don't need updates as long as they don't bring something remarkable. In the end I can a lot already with it --- the main problems are the apps currently available. They lack a lot. (PPT editing anyone?)
    06-17-11 10:07 PM
    I never check for updates. I check Crackberry daily & an update isn't gonna get past em!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-17-11 10:17 PM
    I don't check often but I do keep one eye on crackberry and I do watch app world for new apps. Each day more and more apps are popping up even thought they are not major ones. It is a good sign that developers are still adding new apps.
    06-17-11 10:25 PM
    used to check 1 - 2 times per day when first got it. Now 1 - 2 times per week.
    Have just learned to lower my expectations and try to appreciate it for what it is today. I am always trying to figure out ways to use it to make me more efficient/better for work purposes. Not that interested in games. Too bad it seems (to me) that 98 % of the new apps that come out in app world are game related.
    06-18-11 05:38 AM
    I push it just before my wife asks me to take out the garbage or wash the dishes. If I get lucky I tell her I have to update the OS. I only updated twice for real, but I "installed" about ten other fake updates. Overall, the check for updates button does have some good functions.
    06-18-11 11:54 AM
    rarely check nowadays? sheesh the device has only been out 2 months!

i have to agree with everyone here, i simply check when cb do a post, never been the checking for updates type lol
    Yeah, thats 2 months plus the beta time, plus the development time. This device should have the essentials by now which makes me believe that RIM released this unfinished product with too much haste just to start making money off it now. And the consumer suffers...

I, for one am taking my money back from RIM and getting a device that can actually do business. A business tablet that can't do business. Nice...
    06-18-11 12:06 PM
    On the one hand, I keep reading that the Playbook has only been out for 2 months and that we should give ot time. On the other hand, the Xoom was released about a month before the Playbook and the Xoom is already considered an old device. Given the bad news from RIM this week and the hint of layoffs, we can only hope that the developer pool will not be affected.

I hope that needing essentially 3 development teams (OS 5+ for bridge and support, OS 7 development, and Tablet OS) isn't spreading things too thin. A potent update delivered very soon could carry a lot of weight.

I'm no longer clicking the update button with the new update notification. I am, however anxiously awaiting that notification.
    06-18-11 12:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD