Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By apierrat
  • 1 Post By jafobabe
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    5012ECBB
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Anyone else having Wifi problems?

Okay so don't get me wrong, I don't expect my Playbook to have a Wifi range as good as my laptop, and the range isn't what I'm worried about, but wow, I can never frigging connect. I mean okay, sometimes it works alright, and other times it just never connects, or loses connection all the time, I've tried deleting connections and then re-discovering them, but that's no help. The real kicker, is that someone else in my house owns a PlayBook, and there's has absolutely no problem with all of the same Wifi connections. I called the customer support line once about this, but I was on the OS2.0 beta so they, understandably, said that they couldn't really do anything because it was likely just a beta thing. They did however say, that if it wasn't the beta, it would be the PlayBooks internal drivers, and that it would need a more indepth reinitialize than I can do myself from the desktop manager. They will have to initiate the process on their end, and then my computer can do the rest. Well we're not on the beta anymore and the problem is still there, so I'm going to call them up and hope this solves it. If not, I'm going to have to take it back and see if I can get it swapped for a new one. I do however, think it's software, based on the fact that every once in a while it works fine, today it worked fine all day on a new connection I've never used before, came home and bam, same problems. Well, I didn't buy a PlayBook to have it connect to some networks, so like I said I'm going to give them a call tonight. I wonder though, is anyone else having problems like this?
    Last edited by zethaaron; 03-14-2012 at 07:00 PM.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    88 Global Posts

I have had some problems where connection loses for about 10 seconds then automatically reconnects in areas far away from my router like my basement but nothing as serious in your case. Maybe try a reset?

There's a recent addition to a thread on wifi issues. One guy discovered it may be his plasma tv. That's where it is used. He then decided to test his laptop. Same problem with a lost connection.

Where does that other pb get used in relation to where you use yours? Any cordless phones (not cell phones) that use 2.x or 5.x frequencies? Neighbors? Other "radio" using/emitting devices?
    CrackBerry Addict

I've had problems too. Although it connects fine when I start up it drops after a while. Have been keeping tabs on when it does this and find it happens mostly when it comes back from standby mode.

I read that deleting the wifi connection and re-setting it manually will fix it but this did not fix it for me. Very annoying and I don't know what else to do except to disconnect and re-connect.

Hope its not a hardware problem. Would hate to have to send it back t RIM.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I had similar issues a few months ago after I upgraded to OS 1.08 which I used to blame. All the other devices at home worked OK and it happened after the upgrade. I found similar complaints on line. I was even annoyed with RIM. Finally I changed the wireless router. The transformation was impressive. No more problems and faster connection. It was a humbling experience as I realized how biased I was against RIM. Your issue may be different but just in case...
    Hgouck likes this.
    CrackBerry Master

Global Posts
    1,186 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by apierrat View Post
    I had similar issues a few months ago after I upgraded to OS 1.08 which I used to blame. All the other devices at home worked OK and it happened after the upgrade. I found similar complaints on line. I was even annoyed with RIM. Finally I changed the wireless router. The transformation was impressive. No more problems and faster connection. It was a humbling experience as I realized how biased I was against RIM. Your issue may be different but just in case...
    What did you change the settings to if you are willing to share?
    I hope this helps.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    No BBM

My PB generally works fine at home but at school it keeps disconnecting from the network I want and connecting to a different one. Sometimes it works and stay connected to the right network all day. Sometimes it won't last five minutes.
    GIT-R-DONE
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by Hgouck View Post
    Sounds like he changed the entire router and not just the settings.

If so, some of us don't have that option. I subscribe to Fibe TV and my TV and the router is supplied by Bell Canada. I could change it but that would mean giving up my TV!
    CrackBerry Abuser

i was getting spotty service at home but changed some settings in my router and it works perfectly now.
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    30,712 Global Posts
    PIN
    "Runs with Scissors"

I'm so glad I have not had any wifi issues.... it would be VERY dangerous for me to mess with a router with these scissors..
    CB 5K 50K,100K 500K Challenge Thread
    Harryl6134 likes this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Default Connection problems

I have problems with my wireless dlink dir_655 router but not my dlink dir_624 wireless g, computers, cells, laptops have no problems at all, just my playbook!
    CrackBerry Addict

Quote Originally Posted by perfectson View Post
    i was getting spotty service at home but changed some settings in my router and it works perfectly now.
    Can you please share with us these changes you made. perhaps it'll help resolve our problem.

Thanks
    CrackBerry Abuser

I was having wifi problems at work. I could connect to the network on one side of the building but not the other. I talked to the network guys about it. It turned out that one of the AP's had guest-mode enabled (the one I could connect to) and the other one didn't. So, they changed the config and I was able to connect from both AP's. Don't know if that will help in your case but maybe for someone in a corp environment that can't change settings on the router themselves.

This is the config that worked:

authentication open
    authentication key-management wpa version 2
    guest-mode
    mbssid guest-mode
    wpa-psk ascii 7
    CrackBerry Genius

Guys... Off the Wall suggestion here: check your wifi signal strength while holding the PB in landscape mode with the camera on top (say this is "right-side up"). Now rotate the PB so it is upsidedown, the screen still facing you of course but the camera is now on the bottom. Now hold it there for a few seconds and observe whether the wifi signal gets weaker. Mine usually loses 1 or 2 green bars (or beams?) on the PB green wifi icon.

I speculate that most of us are usually oblivious to whether you're holding the PB rightside up or upsidedown. And if you are located on the fringe of your wifi range, then perhaps rotating it would be enough to cause the wifi signal to drop below a usable threshold and so it cuts out. And the user is going WTF?!!

Could this be part of it for anyone here?
    Patrick from Calgary
    ------------------------------
    Z10 STL100-3, OS version 10.2.1.2941
    PB 64 GB, OS version 2.1.0.1917
    CrackBerry Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Hgouck View Post
    I just followed the default configuration.
    Security Mode: WPA2-Personal
    Encryption: WPA-TKIP or WPA2-AES

The router (Linksys WRT610N) operates at 5 GHZ and 2.4 GHz. It works equally well in both.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    62 Global Posts

Default WiFi Conection

I am still having an issue but it's slot better. I have an ATT MicroCell and it broke. So I am waiting for a new one and guess what. I am getting better wifi Conection and duration.
    CrackBerry User

Guys...I'm going to blame this on on RIM. Please think about the solutions you are posting for wifi issues with these Playbooks.

The PB cant connect or stay connected to a router...so you need to replace or get a better router?

I have just returned from a trip...staying at three different locations. 2 Hotels and a cruise ship. In short, the PB was completely useless it connected to the wifi in each of those locations, then lost the connection within 10 seconds. I was never able to get it to work properly. I was not alone, i saw and spoke to at least 4 people who were in the same predicament as i with their PBs.

This is a fairly recent development, since i had no issues with connectivity in the summer and last fall.
    CrackBerry Newbie

I am also having same problem, I was connecting to 2 open wifi hotspots at work and now my playbook wont connect to either of them and comes up stating it cant aqiure IP address. I phoned Blackberry customer service and explained what was going on but the rep couldn't give a answer on what was happening except to say that shouldn't happen. He sent me to the RMA department, and they were going to send me a new one out but I returned it to the local store for another one as it was under a month old. Now the new one will connect once and then the next time I tried to connect to open wifi it says cant aquire IP. There is for sure something wrong with the playbook as for the first three weeks I was able to connect to these two open strong signalled wifi hotspots and now I cant at all I tried every different which way and no go. I sure hope RIM gets on this.
    CrackBerry Genius

Anyone else having Wifi problems?
    I never had any issues with either OS1 or OS2.
    I'm using and older actiontec G only router provided by Verizon.
    CrackBerry Newbie

As someone stated earlier the playbook may have issues with certain routers, the one I am having trouble with is a belkin router.
    Doesn't Matter

Global Posts
    68,990 Global Posts

No I haven't. I have read there is a bug when using open networks or when you have to sign in on a webpage. The fix for now is to turn bluetooth off before connecting. Not sure if it still works after connection if bluetooth is turned back on.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    447 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dynot View Post
    Sounds like he changed the entire router and not just the settings.

If so, some of us don't have that option. I subscribe to Fibe TV and my TV and the router is supplied by Bell Canada. I could change it but that would mean giving up my TV!
    Have you seen the reviews on that stupid white box, I had bell change mine twice because my pc and ps3 would drop the connection no matter which dongle I used. It wasn't something on my end, I do this stuff for a living so I did every trouble shooting 101 basics and the router was the issue. After the second fibe router I haven't had an issue.(pre playbook issue) so if your having this problem call bell and give me .
    CrackBerry Abuser

In answer to your original question - no....
    Jules - gadget girl and aspiring geek
    The plural of anecdote is not evidence