Okay first off, I have always loved my PlayBook and that continues!

The lack of ability to view certain websites and have access to some apps is making me think about picking up a cheap Android tablet. For me, RogersOnDemand subscribed services not working on the PlayBook is ridiculous (Rogers just seems to block the content on the PB's browser, but works on iOS and Android - - - dumb!)... same goes for some of the sports apps and the big ones like Netflix and Skype (though I don't actually use either of these two).

Is anyone else considering a cheap Android tablet to satisfy the content being blocked or not offered on the PB? I'm starting to get a little worried that a lot of this content won't be available/offered until BB10 comes out and starts to catch on (the Revolution!!!)... that could be many months from now......

My laptop is older and doesn't have HDMI out... seems like buying a cheap Android tablet might be a good option... I refuse to buy the Fruit...

Any thoughts?

PS I do love my PlayBook... I'm not trying to bash it, just expressing what seems to be becoming realistic concerns!
    03-15-12 12:59 PM

The lack of ability to view certain websites and have access to some apps is making me think about picking up a cheap Android tablet. For me, RogersOnDemand subscribed services not working on the PlayBook is ridiculous (Rogers just seems to block the content on the PB's browser, but works on iOS and Android - - - dumb!)... same goes for some of the sports apps and the big ones like Netflix and Skype (though I don't actually use either of these two).

Is anyone else considering a cheap Android tablet to satisfy the content being blocked or not offered on the PB? I'm starting to get a little worried that a lot of this content won't be available/offered until BB10 comes out and starts to catch on (the Revolution!!!)... that could be many months from now......

My laptop is older and doesn't have HDMI out... seems like buying a cheap Android tablet might be a good option... I refuse to buy the Fruit...

Any thoughts?

PS I do love my PlayBook... I'm not trying to bash it, just expressing what seems to be becoming realistic concerns!
    Simple answer:NO

i would not buy an android tablet. I think that from a pb going to a cheap android will lead to one more gadget in your drawer, the cheap android tablet. Personally i would wait until early summer. I think that if you are thinking of an additional tablet it would be good to wait until summer minimum. Except if you are into changing tablet 2-3 times a year. Things are moving and looking up for the pb but also for tablets on win8 and bb10. I for one am sticking with my pb. If i was to consider changing i would like to have at least a couple of months into more news about bb10 and also operating new tablets to see if it would worth it. By then you d know more on the future of the pb as well. But at the end of the day it is mere personal choice.

Irrelevant of the pb in general if someone would tell me they want a tablet right now i would advise them to wait and see how it plays out till late summer. Just my 2cents.
    Last edited by currentodysseys; 03-15-12 at 01:12 PM.
    03-15-12 01:09 PM
    I think it's safe to say we will never have netflix. If they wanted to port an app, it would have been done already. On a side note, you can get a sony vita and watch netflix on it.
    03-15-12 01:10 PM
    If you want one and think it's a good idea, go for it. :P
    03-15-12 01:12 PM
    Good replies so far... just to be clear, the Android tablet wouldn't replace my PB, but would complement it and provide some of the services that the PlayBook isn't offering (not saying this is RIM's fault, it's the content provider's who aren't providing services on the PB).

The Android tablet would in fact be a gadget in a drawer that would only be used for times when the PlayBook can't access something (again not a bash against RIM or PB, but the service itself that the particular isn't allowing the PB to access). A cheap tablet with HDMI output seems like a smarter option that a new laptop... was just looking for others' opinions and to see if anyone else is already using this kind of set up as a work-around. Splashtop is great, but for streaming video, it lags (understandable).
    03-15-12 01:22 PM
    No. I have nothing that needs supplementing as I don't use those apps that shall remain nameless.
    TinRobot and Bakamushi like this.
    03-15-12 01:26 PM
    not to supplement but I am interested in the google-Asus 7" tablet. depends on the price though. if more than $300 here, will give it a skip
    03-15-12 01:28 PM
    I think it's safe to say we will never have netflix. If they wanted to port an app, it would have been done already. On a side note, you can get a sony vita and watch netflix on it.
    I can only picture a ported netflix app as being laggy and a bad experience anyway.
    03-15-12 01:28 PM
    No but I'm not really in need of the apps & content you list. If it's something that appeals to you & would meet your needs, I say absolutely go for it.
    03-15-12 01:31 PM
    Good replies so far... just to be clear, the Android tablet wouldn't replace my PB, but would complement it and provide some of the services that the PlayBook isn't offering (not saying this is RIM's fault, it's the content provider's who aren't providing services on the PB).

The Android tablet would in fact be a gadget in a drawer that would only be used for times when the PlayBook can't access something (again not a bash against RIM or PB, but the service itself that the particular isn't allowing the PB to access). A cheap tablet with HDMI output seems like a smarter option that a new laptop... was just looking for others' opinions and to see if anyone else is already using this kind of set up as a work-around. Splashtop is great, but for streaming video, it lags (understandable).
    Just to clarify my position:
    -sorry for writing replace, since it is obvious you wrote complement.
    -when it is about buying and spending hardly earned money, i have no fanboysm as factor. This is not to defend the pb or bash it. (i love mine but that does not mean that it serves you 100%, thus you have need of something complimentary and thus you need to address your needs as you see fit ). It is just logical !

My point is that value for money and in terms of practicality for my way of doing things an additional tablet would be more expensive no matter how cheap if you analyse value for money. Thus i for one would not doi it. If i could, i would look into a new laptop maybe or wait up with the inconviniences that entails.

But i say again, this is totaly personal way of being and functionality and a private matter thus personal decision.

I do not think you need to clarify you do not mean to bash your pb. It is your money, your business, your choices and thank you for asking our opinion for such a personal decision!
    Whatever you deccide i only wish it works out best for what you need
    Last edited by currentodysseys; 03-15-12 at 02:03 PM.
    kyleheney likes this.
    03-15-12 01:39 PM
    seem like a waste of money.

Instead of supplementing, why not just sell your Playbook and get an Android tablet.

Seems like you would rather have that.
    03-15-12 01:41 PM
    Would I like access things like Netflix on my PB, yes. Does it warrent getting an android tablet, I would say no. I have a Ipad2 and a viewsonic gtab running android (ICS) and I barley use any of them. Please note I don't go crazy on the movie watching either. You have to be careful getting a cheap android because they are that cheap.

For Christmas I was thinking hard about getting my son a cheap android tablet. From November to december I did tons of research. To find one that would do what I wanted to like netflix and android market I was going to pay about 200. Also these tablets had to be rooted to get netflix on, and the spec where crap.
    03-15-12 01:49 PM
    Asking PB fanboys whether u should buy an android tab is LAME. You know why you will buy it and it is you who has to spend. Go and buy one.
    03-15-12 01:52 PM
    No offense but if you are considering buying a second tablet to address what you view as deficiencies in the Playbook, then why use a Playbook? The idea of using two tablets defeats the purpose of having a tablet. Obviously your money, but I would suggest there are more cost effective solutions than owning two tablets to do the job of one....
    03-15-12 01:59 PM

Any thoughts?

Um ... I watched Rogers On Demand last night and it was flawless on my PB. Now I was catching up on a TV episode I had missed but there wasn't any lags, buffering or other problems for the entire episode.
    elbo likes this.
    03-15-12 01:59 PM
    Asking PB fanboys whether u should buy an android tab is LAME. You know why you will buy it and it is you who has to spend. Go and buy one.
    ....and leaving insulting responses is not lame? A question was asked and actually people have generally given responsible answers, with the exception of the one person who decides to call someone lame.
    03-15-12 02:02 PM
    I've watched Rogers on Demand on my Playbook as well. I don't understand why you haven't been able to.

It streams great and looks really good on my home theatre using a cable I got for 3 bucks on ebay.
    03-15-12 02:05 PM
    You could be like me and have 1 of each! I have a PB, an iPad AND an Android (Galaxy Tab Plus).
    03-15-12 02:07 PM
    I take my ipod touch along on trips so I can have skype and talkatone (free calls to landlines).
    03-15-12 02:11 PM
    Define cheap android tablet. I wouldn't touch the <$200 stuff as they won't have access to Google Play (Market) as previously mentioned. They would be pretty much stuck at 2.2/2.3 also unless you root and play with custom ROMs. Which isn't all that bad if all you want is to see web pages you can't get to on the PB. I think you can get a decent name brand tablet for around $300-400 if you look for sales. I've seen the Thrive and Ideapad at that price point lately. Look for a GED (google experience device) and it will be upgraded fairly fast. I have a Moto Xoom ($320 refurb to tether my android phone) to complement my PB and it already is upgraded to Ice Cream Sandwich. I use the PB when I know I will have access to WIFI and the Xoom when I know I will have to tether. So, bottom line, if you have a need for it, go for it. BTW, I have found the PB browser to be more robust than the android or Dolphin browser. Go figure.
    03-15-12 02:11 PM
    If you want Netflix on your PB then call...request it via there Marketing Department.

The more people that call the more likely they are to create one. Here's the number:
    1 (888) 811-9842

Get your friends, family members and forum members to call....spread the word emails should have been the start. Now flood them with calls...let the numbers speak...if they still refuse... cancel your account....find a service that is willing to serve it's customers...but by no means buy a device because it's what they offer it on...if the can do Vita the can certainly do PB. They should deversify and cater to there customers, if not they should not have customers... Don't just give your money any longer and accept the standard line as a paying customer...Customers deserve customer service...
    Last edited by kerry6; 03-15-12 at 02:23 PM.
    03-15-12 02:21 PM
    See Archos tablets.

ARCHOS
    03-15-12 02:25 PM
    See Archos tablets.

ARCHOS
    The prices are close in range to more name brand tablets.
    03-15-12 02:39 PM
    Ofcourse you should do it. Just promise us that you won't come back afterwards and start any " I hate to say " kinda threads.
    03-15-12 02:47 PM
    Absolutely NOT. I already have a tablet and the Android player meets my needs. While I want Netflix on my PB, I don't need it. (It's already on my DVD player.) I will contact Netflix, though, to add my name to the list of PB users who want Netflix on their tablet.
    03-15-12 02:59 PM
86 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD