I was hoping for an App or something. The simulator isn't simulating much of anything. Only thing I did find interesting was looking at the file structure.
    10-25-10 07:13 PM
    I still fail too see why RIM couldn't just offer the simulator as an .iso file. The compression created by having an installer is negligible vs the incredible hassle of the installer itself, and makes it unfriendly for developing on other hosts.

yes, it will only work in VMWarre at the moment, but VMware is available for Linux users, which find it annoying that RIM requires them to run the extractor on the Mac or Windows just to get a standards-compliant .iso that could be downloaded as-is.

And RIM, please at the bare minimum give us then settings required to use this in VirtualBox.
    Last edited by grahamf; 10-25-10 at 08:10 PM.
    10-25-10 08:07 PM
    I still fail too see why RIM couldn't just offer the simulator as an .iso file. The compression created by having an installer is negligible vs the incredible hassle of the installer itself, and makes it unfriendly for developing on other hosts.

yes, it will only work in VMWarre at the moment, but VMware is available for Linux users, which find it annoying that RIM requires them to run the extractor on the Mac or Windows just to get a standards-compliant .iso that could be downloaded as-is.

And RIM, please at the bare minimum give us then settings required to use this in VirtualBox.
    I downloaded the Mac version. It is an ISO file and the only way I could get it to work was to open it with VMWare fusion.
    10-25-10 09:03 PM
    Well, RIM has a demo RSS app that we can install to see the interface guidelines and app switcher. Direct download link.

And I upladed an installed version in OVF format, but Virtualbox seems to have a glitch in the importer.
    Last edited by grahamf; 10-25-10 at 09:19 PM.
    10-25-10 09:08 PM
    Can you install any AIR app on this? I have a few basic ones that I wrote while learning Adobe Flex Builder.
    10-25-10 09:36 PM
    the UI may need to be tweaked, but yeah, they should work.
    10-26-10 09:12 AM
    Can anyone make sense of the confidentiality clause of the License Agreement? I'm trying to figure out if it's nearly as draconian as Apple's, and if I could get in legal trouble for doing something like, oh, say, posting my impressions, review (well, preview), screenshots and things like that. No code, no tools, maybe links to BlackBerry's pages, but nothing you couldn't go out and access on public pages on your own. Just images, opinions, and maybe video.
    10-26-10 03:42 PM
    Can anyone make sense of the confidentiality clause of the License Agreement? I'm trying to figure out if it's nearly as draconian as Apple's, and if I could get in legal trouble for doing something like, oh, say, posting my impressions, review (well, preview), screenshots and things like that. No code, no tools, maybe links to BlackBerry's pages, but nothing you couldn't go out and access on public pages on your own. Just images, opinions, and maybe video.
    I assume that most of it's legacy laws from when it was private beta only.

Now since it's out in the open, all it means is RIM doesn't want you to use PlayBook code to develop your own OS or anythink like that.
    10-26-10 04:05 PM
    After installing a few apps I can see that the multitasking will be dead easy to use. switching between apps only require a flick of the bezel.
    10-28-10 10:40 AM
    So, here's a look at the web browser.
    acid3:

HTML5test

Speedtest.net

Speedtestr benchmark (same computer, but google chrome)

And all of the pages load lightning fast, except for crackberry.com, which seems to have performance issues.
    10-28-10 12:42 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD