is there are way to make file folders appear in playbook. I have my document arranged by folders, but the folders never show up. all the documents are combined together which makes looking for the file I need a pain in the A$$. If there is not a way to make them show up, is there an app I could use instead?
    03-11-14 06:17 PM
    is there are way to make file folders appear in playbook. I have my document arranged by folders, but the folders never show up. all the documents are combined together which makes looking for the file I need a pain in the A$$. If there is not a way to make them show up, is there an app I could use instead?
    Ghost Commander is free in the BB app world and there are others such as Files and Folders ( free trkal, ($2.99) and several others.
    03-11-14 06:53 PM
    Second for Ghost Commander. Also Air Browser (also free in app world), which is simpler to use than the others but also has fewer features.
    03-11-14 07:30 PM
    PlayBook UK recommends Files & Folders from BlackBerry World, the complete solution!

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    03-12-14 07:12 AM
    PlayBook UK recommends Files & Folders from BlackBerry World, the complete solution!
    I'm not sure how it's the "complete" solution since F&F doesn't have anywhere near the functionality of ES File Explorer (needs sideloading).
    03-12-14 10:39 AM
    Hey, I've lost my downloads folder and it won't let me create a new one -- have you info on how I can reinstate my downloads folder -- When I try to download an attachment in email -- it won't open because it's going to the download folder and it's not there. I had multiple backups of my device but the download folder does not come back.
    03-12-14 10:44 AM
    What is it? Which file app are you using?
    03-12-14 10:50 AM
    I'm not sure how it's the "complete" solution since F&F doesn't have anywhere near the functionality of ES File Explorer (needs sideloading).
    Normally enough functionality in F&F for most users.

03-12-14 11:10 AM
    Hey, I've lost my downloads folder and it won't let me create a new one -- have you info on how I can reinstate my downloads folder -- When I try to download an attachment in email -- it won't open because it's going to the download folder and it's not there. I had multiple backups of my device but the download folder does not come back.
    You can't create folders at the Playbook's media folder level (accounts/1000/shared), and as far as I know, you can't delete folders at this level either (though I'm not about to test this theory). so how you lost your downloads folder, I don't know. Anyhow, short of wiping your playbook and reinstalling its OS, there is at least a work around that will let you download and access your email attachments First, you could access your email using one of the android browsers in app world (maxthon or dolphin). You can set the download path for these browsers in settings, so you can set them to download to a folder that actually exists. Alternatively, you could sideload an android email app (Kaiten Mail, for one) which will save downloaded attachments to your Playbook's "SD Card" folder.
    03-12-14 11:05 PM
    Normally enough functionality in F&F for most users.
    Where do I start? This is only true for users who don't know that there may be another way. What I suspect that "most" users use a file manager for is organizing their files and folders and for navigating to and launching files. .So, lets compare F&F to one of my favorite file managers, X-Plore (sideloaded), regarding these functions. For organizing folders (say, for moving files in the Camera folder to separate folders/subfolders), F&F has a major drawback in that it lacks true cut and paste functionality. This is not true for X-Plore. What this means is that trying to move very large files, or a bunch of small files, with F&F can be a real chore. For example, moving a 1 gig file from one folder to another with X-Plore takes all of one second after one hits "move". Moving the same file with F&F takes about 15 minutes. Major advantage here for x-Plore.

As for navigating to and opening files with these apps, with F&F you can only open files using the default PB app for opening such files (the exception being F&F can open some files using its internal media player/viewer). With X-Plore, files can be opened with either the default PB app, or with any android app that you've loaded on your PB that is capable of opening such files. So, on my PB, for example, if I want to open a PDF using X-Plore, I have the option to open it with the stock Adobe Reader, or with Repligo Reader, Kingsoft Office, Office Suite Pro, or qPDF.. With F&F, my option is Adobe Reader, period. I suspect that many, if not most, users would find the added options X-Plore gives you here to be very useful at times.

Moving on. X-Plore has a LAN share function, which allows you to transfer files to or from a networked PC or to stream media stored on your PC. F&F, simply can't do this. Further, X-Plore is integrated with the PB's Messages app, so it can be used to locate and attach files to an email that you want to compose in Messages. Again, F&F can't do this. While F&F does have an email function, it is very limited- no access to contacts, only one attachment per email, and only one email account allowed. Many PB users are not aware of the Messages integration in X-Plore, and I suspect that they might find it to be infinitely preferable to using the stock file manager that Messages seems to require you use to attach files. . In addition, X-Plore can acess various cloud services and transfer files to and from and stream media from these services, as can F&F (no Google Drive access for X-Plore, though), but transfers using X-Plore are typically faster than with F&F, sometimes significantly so. I've only scratched the surface, but I do believe that "most" users would find some of this added functionality to be very useful at times, if only they knew such functionality existed. Most of the functions I've listed here can also be achieved using Ghost Commander or ES File Explorer (limited cloud access for Ghost, and cut and paste in ES causes the app to crash), and they both add android app managers that can be used to launch android apps, some of which are hidden from view but which are part of the PB's android runtime (this means that you have apps on your PB that you aren't aware of). For ES, add the ability, using its integrated media player, to create music playlists that can include tunes stored locally, stored on one's PC, or stored in the cloud, or a combination of the three ( I know of no other app that can do this).

This is not to say that F&F doesn't have any advantages. Many may think that it has a nicer UI, and some may find it simpler/easier to use than the other apps I've mentioned. It also has a bridge function that the other apps don't have, which may matter to many who have BB phones (I don't). Lastly, F&F is native, the others are android ports, which again may matter to some, but, on the other hand, F&F is a paid app, the others are free.
    03-13-14 01:26 AM
    Where do I start? This is only true for users who don't know that there may be another way. What I suspect that "most" users use a file manager for is organizing their files and folders and for navigating to and launching files. .So, lets compare F&F to one of my favorite file managers, X-Plore (sideloaded), regarding these functions. For organizing folders (say, for moving files in the Camera folder to separate folders/subfolders), F&F has a major drawback in that it lacks true cut and paste functionality. This is not true for X-Plore. What this means is that trying to move very large files, or a bunch of small files, with F&F can be a real chore. For example, moving a 1 gig file from one folder to another with X-Plore takes all of one second after one hits "move". Moving the same file with F&F takes about 15 minutes. Major advantage here for x-Plore.

As for navigating to and opening files with these apps, with F&F you can only open files using the default PB app for opening such files (the exception being F&F can open some files using its internal media player/viewer). With X-Plore, files can be opened with either the default PB app, or with any android app that you've loaded on your PB that is capable of opening such files. So, on my PB, for example, if I want to open a PDF using X-Plore, I have the option to open it with the stock Adobe Reader, or with Repligo Reader, Kingsoft Office, Office Suite Pro, or qPDF.. With F&F, my option is Adobe Reader, period. I suspect that many, if not most, users would find the added options X-Plore gives you here to be very useful at times.

Moving on. X-Plore has a LAN share function, which allows you to transfer files to or from a networked PC or to stream media stored on your PC. F&F, simply can't do this. Further, X-Plore is integrated with the PB's Messages app, so it can be used to locate and attach files to an email that you want to compose in Messages. Again, F&F can't do this. While F&F does have an email function, it is very limited- no access to contacts, only one attachment per email, and only one email account allowed. Many PB users are not aware of the Messages integration in X-Plore, and I suspect that they might find it to be infinitely preferable to using the stock file manager that Messages seems to require you use to attach files. . In addition, X-Plore can acess various cloud services and transfer files to and from and stream media from these services, as can F&F (no Google Drive access for X-Plore, though), but transfers using X-Plore are typically faster than with F&F, sometimes significantly so. I've only scratched the surface, but I do believe that "most" users would find some of this added functionality to be very useful at times, if only they knew such functionality existed. Most of the functions I've listed here can also be achieved using Ghost Commander or ES File Explorer (limited cloud access for Ghost, and cut and paste in ES causes the app to crash), and they both add android app managers that can be used to launch android apps, some of which are hidden from view but which are part of the PB's android runtime (this means that you have apps on your PB that you aren't aware of). For ES, add the ability, using its integrated media player, to create music playlists that can include tunes stored locally, stored on one's PC, or stored in the cloud, or a combination of the three ( I know of no other app that can do this).

This is not to say that F&F doesn't have any advantages. Many may think that it has a nicer UI, and some may find it simpler/easier to use than the other apps I've mentioned. It also has a bridge function that the other apps don't have, which may matter to many who have BB phones (I don't). Lastly, F&F is native, the others are android ports, which again may matter to some, but, on the other hand, F&F is a paid app, the others are free.
    Thanks for the detail pacoman03. This should inform and help users decide. My combination is F&F, My File Manager (for Local action) and LAN File Explorer (for movement to from my PC). These 3 cover all the file actions I need.

03-13-14 05:02 AM