Hey all,
    I know the dlna and wireless streaming issue is being in older posts and went through them in forums. Please excuse my question if seems silly.

On feb 16th cb posted about dlna http://crackberry.com/tags/dlna regarding bb wireless media center for devices with os7.1

Can someone please let me know if i understand well that for the moment it only goes to mobile phones operating on os7.1 and in order for the playbook to be able to stream to a dlna tv we would have to wait and see if rim will give that update for local wifi streaming from playbook to other homenetwork devices if activated within the home network via wifi???

Thank you in advance for bothering to explain to such basic questions
    ---------------------------

OK, EDDITING THIS AND LETS LEAVE THE THREAD AS I HAD MISSED ANOTHER ONE VERY ENLIGHTENING YOU CAN FIND IT AT http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...29/index4.html
    OH I AM SOOOO LOOKING FORWARD TO BE ABLE TO STREAM TO MY TV FROM MY BB.....!!
    Last edited by currentodysseys; 03-02-12 at 01:56 PM.
    03-02-12 08:51 AM
    Do we really have to depend on RIM? Someone should be able to write or port a DLNA compatible, network enabled video playing and or streaming app.

My iPhone can play music and (some) videos directly off my NAS over wifi (no PC required), but it needs an app.
    03-02-12 10:09 AM
    Do we really have to depend on RIM? Someone should be able to write or port a DLNA compatible, network enabled video playing and or streaming app.

My iPhone can play music and (some) videos directly off my NAS over wifi (no PC required), but it needs an app.
    DLNA is a label, that requires several procedures to gain it.
    What you're mentioning is probably more UPNP (the network protocol) streaming / reading capabilities.
    DLNA is one step beyond that, it brings, briefly, interoperability.
    currentodysseys likes this.
    03-02-12 03:57 PM
    04-28-12 12:04 AM
    Unfortunately this is only a control point, while I would prefer a media renderer (play through DLNA on the playbook).
    04-28-12 02:12 AM
    Unfortunately this is only a control point, while I would prefer a media renderer (play through DLNA on the playbook).
    I received an email from the developer today and he is supposed to be releasing a new version soon. I hope its a DLNA client versus a control.
    04-28-12 02:14 AM
    What exactly does it do?

I d/l'd it last night. I see my media servers on the left and my LG TV on the right. I can browse to media but "play" does nothing despite switching inputs on my TV. There's no real documentation or help.
    04-28-12 09:12 AM
    Well, my LG ST600 doesn't like to be controlled from this or other control points. It basically clears the whole screen leaving background only and hangs. Maybe a problem with all LG renderers from 2011 series.
    04-28-12 10:17 AM
    Currently, this won't happen - read below.

DLNA requires UPnP via UDP port detection. UDP ports are disabled on PB by RIM. Thus, no app can get DLNA acceptance as a client.

What your looking for a UPnP Client for connecting to a UPnP Media Server. This can be done, but there is no point as it has been done by bigger and better people - and all of the tools are available for free. Also, even when it is done (there is an HTML5 one on the forums) you will still have codec problems due to missing codecs.

Go get TVersity/PlayOn/TWonky/ORB for free as a server. If you feel generous, buy my Connect to TVersity app (it actualy connects to all of those and has instructions including how to use them when you are away from your house). If you are tight on money, save your cash and use the browser to browse to the appropriate HTML servers.

This is better because the PB doesn't have great codecs. These allow you to bypass the codecs by running codecs & conversion from your PC. This also makes your PB last a lot longer for movies than if it was converting the codec on the fly (roughly extends the PB life by 2x for video playback).

Ed.
    bundyo likes this.
    04-29-12 12:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD