Anyone here currently developing for the PlayBook?
    02-05-11 03:07 AM
    Trying to. I did:

Put simulator on and got network working (neded vmware reinstall).
    Put RIM sdk on and air sdk.

Simulator runs, can put it in developer mode and I get to this step:

Run a BlackBerry WebWorks application on the BlackBerry Tablet Simulator - BlackBerry Tablet OS - Getting Started Guide for Windows Developers - BlackBerry WebWorks SDK - 1.0 Beta

and it fails to install. I can compile the sketch pad standard sampe into a bar file, but no install.
    02-06-11 12:05 AM
    I submitted my first app a few weeks ago, currently waiting for approval from RIM.
    Now I'm working on my second, more complicated app.

sandmanfvr: Type the Blackberry developer's forum, lots of people to help out there.
    02-06-11 05:57 AM
    What did you do the actually coding in? I got the web sdk and free air sdk, but that is it. Was wondering that step. Will check the forums.

EDIT: Failure deploying sample app to simulator - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

I think I did download the simultor Dec 13 (it is buggy). May be my issue.
    Last edited by sandmanfvr; 02-06-11 at 10:12 AM.
    02-06-11 10:05 AM
    Anddd fixed it. Got new simulator, installed (much nicer and not crashing on install) ,set password in simulator and set time. Goes well, see attached image.
    Last edited by sandmanfvr; 02-06-11 at 11:39 AM.
    02-06-11 11:04 AM
    Thats great sandmanfvr good to see you have also started on an app and got it showing in the simulator. Are you coding in Adobe Air or WebWorks?
    02-06-11 01:40 PM
    That is the demo app to download. I don't know what to code in, would like to do adobe as 4.5 burrito is free right now and adobe is more flexible. Going to download 4.5 burrito and try it. I am not a major coder at all, but will give it a whirl.
    02-06-11 03:01 PM
    I started working on some basic apps using AIR but i'm waiting for them to release the Java and native SDK's. I'd rather use C++ or Java.
    02-06-11 04:07 PM
    I've been using Flash Builder Burrito.
    The latest does simulator has lots of bugs, random crashes, so takes a bit of patience.
    02-06-11 07:12 PM
    I've been using Flash Builder Burrito.
    The latest does simulator has lots of bugs, random crashes, so takes a bit of patience.
    I have not experienced that yet, might have to try loading something to see if I will have the same problem. Btw, did you setup the VM Player exactly as instructed in the documentation?
    02-07-11 10:55 PM
    I am currently working on an app for the Playbook. Hoping to submit it by the end of February!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-07-11 11:17 PM
    There's a new version of th simulator (9.3), but that version requires you to scrool through an EULA before installing. But when you get to the "Do you agree [Y]es [N]o", no matter what you type it quits and prompts you to hit enter to reboot.
    02-08-11 03:07 PM
    There's a new version of th simulator (9.3), but that version requires you to scrool through an EULA before installing. But when you get to the "Do you agree [Y]es [N]o", no matter what you type it quits and prompts you to hit enter to reboot.
    Use Page Down to read through the EULA and then enter "Y" when the question comes up. Also, make sure that your virtual machine is setup like a real PlayBook. ie. 1024MB RAM, 8GB+ storage, dual core and use host setting for the display.
    02-08-11 05:27 PM
    I'm imagining a PlayBook app that higher-end car dealer ships will use to enhance the customer experience. You would talk in the door of a dealership, be given a PlayBook, and then browse. Just walk up to a car and scan a barcode on the window and be given unlimited information about the vehicle (videos, specs, etc.) You could page a sales associate. You could have the information emailed to you. There could even be bluetooth enabled transmitters that the PlayBook picks up on when in range and then starts telling you about the car. This could, of course, transcend cars and be applied to any business.
    and of course jump in your car with it and get the heck outta dodge :P
    02-08-11 06:09 PM
    Have any of the developers here coded anything for the PlayBook and iPhone? I'm just curious about the differences.

Like, what's more expensive to code for? In terms of licensing?
    What language is easier/more difficult?
    What's support like from RIM/Apple?

etc.

Thanks guys.
    02-08-11 07:22 PM
    Have any of the developers here coded anything for the PlayBook and iPhone? I'm just curious about the differences.

Like, what's more expensive to code for? In terms of licensing?
    What language is easier/more difficult?
    What's support like from RIM/Apple?

etc.

Thanks guys.
    Apple charges an annual fee for developer membership, RIM is waiving all fees at the moment.
    On the other hand, Apple's development environment in XCode is free, while you have to get your own (such as Adobe Flash Builder) for RIM (there are free alternatives, but it's not a nice prepackaged ready to go thing like Apple). Of course, Apple also only allows you to develop on an Apple computer, so they win either way.
    02-08-11 09:46 PM
    I had the same problem, but it let me keep going when I typed it out: "Yes". Hope that helps.

I created an app using Flash and the AIR SDK, and I received word that it got accepted just last week. So yes, I guess that makes me officially a developer.
    02-09-11 12:20 AM
    Use Page Down to read through the EULA and then enter "Y" when the question comes up. Also, make sure that your virtual machine is setup like a real PlayBook. ie. 1024MB RAM, 8GB+ storage, dual core and use host setting for the display.
    I tried that. no matter what I typed it quit immeddiately.
    Last edited by grahamf; 02-09-11 at 11:15 AM.
    02-09-11 11:11 AM
    Check out this thread from the developer support forums...
    0.9.3 Simulator doesn't get past the license agree... - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

I learned some basic actionscript and submitted 4 apps. 2 apps have been approved. I'm working on a 5th app, which will be a variant of one of my other apps. I will be receiving a free playbook.

I'm just coding in a free code editor and compiling through the command line. I don't have Flash builder on my pc.
    02-09-11 12:28 PM
    That's wierd. Have you tried using "G" to skip the EULA and then just a "Y" ?
    I've tried that method as well and it also works.
    Are you using VMware Player to host your virtual machine? I'm using version 3.1.3 build-324285.
    02-09-11 02:05 PM
    Thanks!

02-09-11 02:54 PM
    I'm developing on the playbook Actually I was programming in AS2 and when I heard about the promotion I decided I better move to AS3. I was late for the promotion so I quickly learned AS3 and made a game in about 2 days (AFTER getting all of the tedious BB dev crap out of the way). Currently I have 1 game doing pretty nicely on the app world (Kick It Up) with another app (Kick It Up Deluxe) in the middle of being approved. Also I am currently coding a platformer dodger that will implement leaderboards and such using playtomic.
    06-15-11 06:56 PM
    Nice guinea pig, is it yours? I have 8 in our house and they all want to eat my Playbook.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 06-15-11 at 11:58 PM.
    06-15-11 08:38 PM
    I am developing some and ported quite a lot. Major in WebWorks, don't have experience in Flash.
    06-17-11 12:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD