apple fanboy here too. I use an iphone 4 + playbook.

Main reason for buying the playbook was portability + multitasking (specifically tabbed browsing while loading or buffering youtube videos)

As a previous ipad owner, I feel that having 2 ios devices is TOO redundant. Hence, I don't care about apps, calendar, email (would appreciate this though - no worries since it is already coming), photos, mp3, skype and videochat etc since I already have an iphone 4 - which i think is perfect for these tasks (at least for me)

Loving the playbook except for the kinks and bugs - battery life as #1 issue.
    05-11-11 12:05 AM
    ditto for me. my nokia C3 is from the gas station at the corner. no BB for me yet..maybe my next phone will be a RIM product, if the cost of wireless data comes down!
    BBs are already probably the most data friendly smartphone. The data goes through BIS/BES as compressed data.

I'm a semi heavy user and I manage to use on average 100MB a month on my 500MB plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-11-11 12:28 AM
    I have a bb 9000 bold, but I never bridge it or tether my playbook to it. I bought a high speed pocket WiFi and tether my bb and playbook to it. The playbook browser loves the high speed and my bb is much faster now that I made the change. The money I save for not downloading content through my 3g carrier is the same cost as the new pocket WiFi and it is about 33% the size as my bb. I am eagerly waiting for updates, which include native email and bb services on the playbook, but until then, I can' be bothered with the bridge. The playbook is a great stand alone computer and by far the best rim product yet.
    05-11-11 02:25 AM
    i am also a big Apple user who bought the Blackberry Playbook to review as potential for doctors. (great form factor for carrying around the hospital).

i do not own a blackberry phone, so i am eagerly awaiting a functional mail and calendar client.

i will be writing a full review for the playbook on iMedicalApps.com in a few weeks.

for now, you can read my article on how I think Apple should release a 7 inch tablet if it wants to continue to dominate the market.
    05-11-11 03:11 AM
    I have a bb 9000 bold, but I never bridge it or tether my playbook to it. I bought a high speed pocket WiFi and tether my bb and playbook to it. The playbook browser loves the high speed and my bb is much faster now that I made the change. The money I save for not downloading content through my 3g carrier is the same cost as the new pocket WiFi and it is about 33% the size as my bb. I am eagerly waiting for updates, which include native email and bb services on the playbook, but until then, I can' be bothered with the bridge. The playbook is a great stand alone computer and by far the best rim product yet.
    Like you I have a Mifi and have never bothered to tether or ever tried the Bridge Browser (except to confirm to myself that it works!).

But I disagree about the bridging. I think that is the greatest single asset of the pb. NOT having emails contacts and calendar duplicated on my tablet is great for me, especially when family and friends borrow it to play and admire!

I think without it I wouldn't have bothered with the pb at all, and am not bothered about when those native apps come as I won't bother to use them.

But of course to appeal to non-bb users they are a must.
    05-11-11 03:41 AM
    BBs are already probably the most data friendly smartphone. The data goes through BIS/BES as compressed data.

I'm a semi heavy user and I manage to use on average 100MB a month on my 500MB plan.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    It's not the useage, it's what the carriers charge. I am not a heavy cell phone user, so I manage to keep my bill under $16/mo through Petro-Canada, which includes $10/mo for the unlimited internet (granted it is slow and not overly friendly, but like I said, I am not a heavy user). Some of the data plans that I have seen must be coupled with a separate voice/text plan, pushing the cost far above $16/mo. Yes, I am cheap, but I don't use my phone enough to justify the costs.

Being able to pair a BB with the PB is just a dream that I am likely far to cheap to ever realize!
    05-11-11 07:25 AM
    Currently using my palm pre 2 with the playbook. Kind of nice to use both together with their similar UI.
    05-11-11 06:51 PM
    My 64 GB Playbook is my first RIM product. I have never own or use RIM/Blackberry phone before.

I am a tablet addict.

I currently have a 16 GB T-mobile Galaxy Tab with 32 GB SD card inside, a 32 3G ipad, a 3G Xoom, and now my latest toy is the 64 GB Playbook.

I really like the Playbook. I wish that there was a 128 GB Playbook so I can put more (NTFS-more than 4 GB) HD movies in it.

I am currently waiting for the Flyer and the 8.9" Galaxy Tab and a good Window 7 tab that has good battery life.
    Last edited by Earthbrain; 05-11-11 at 07:12 PM.
    05-11-11 07:10 PM
    I now own a 64gb PB + Verizon Thunderbolt.
    05-11-11 07:13 PM
    i use a nokia n900 linux device, and the playbook.

i have been given no less then 15 bb devices, all made it to the ebay/craigslist.

this is the only bb device i wanted and have....WON! and because of the type of device my n900 is, really do not even need a tablet...it is more a toy at this time, with a great os.

kinda like having a super-charged 442 without a vehicle to put it in! for you car nuts out there.
    05-11-11 07:15 PM
    using nexus one which sharing out the wifi for playbook, works perfect!
    05-11-11 07:17 PM
    i use a nokia n900 linux device, and the playbook.

i have been given no less then 15 bb devices, all made it to the ebay/craigslist.

this is the only bb device i wanted and have....WON! and because of the type of device my n900 is, really do not even need a tablet...it is more a toy at this time, with a great os.

kinda like having a super-charged 442 without a vehicle to put it in! for you car nuts out there.
    Funny you should say that, I just had to replace my n900 with an E7. I love the Playbook OS, but if it had Maemo.....well the world would be an amazing place.
    05-11-11 11:15 PM
    I have the moto Atrix and use the internet wifi hotspot while I'm on the move. Doesn't zap too much power out of the Atrix during the day which is great!
    05-11-11 11:40 PM
    first bb product, first tablet and using ancient nokia 5800 with no data plan.
    05-12-11 01:10 AM
    solo here.. im using a atrix and im a eyelash away from putting it on craigs list. im looking at the 9900 or the infuse
    05-12-11 01:15 AM
    just sold my ipad 2 and bought this playbook. i have an iphone 4 and this is my first bb device ever.
    05-12-11 02:33 AM
    First RIM device for me too. And I don't intend to get a BB phone, the OS is horrible. Once they release QNX phones I'll be all over them. Palm Pre 2 at the moment.
    05-12-11 03:00 AM
    dumped my ipad, ipad 2, and Xoom for the playbook. Just returned my Nexus S to Best Buy and picked up a BB 9780. Not sure I like the physical keyboard of 9780, I may try the Torch. I am happy with PB.
    05-12-11 04:28 AM
    Same here. My first and only RIM product. I'm not fond of the physical keyboards that BlackBerry offers. Though I'm curious about owning one and using the whole Bridge thing. Looks interesting.
    05-12-11 05:54 AM
    dude you make no sense. first you say you think bridging is an asset for rim, but then you say you dont bridge cause your dog will use it?
    lol. Ok, let me try to be a little clearer. I DO use bridge, which means that when letting someone else use my PB I can switch it off and not leave my emails, calendar and contacts for other people to view on the PB.

But I don't use the bridge browser because I use a Mifi device.

Is that clear enough, or should I use a crayon?
    Last edited by simsim1000; 05-12-11 at 11:53 AM.
    Fine_Arts likes this.
    05-12-11 06:05 AM
    I use an iPhone, and would have bought an iPad or xoom, but greatly prefer the 7" screen.
    Were you able to tether your Playbook to your iPhone?
    05-12-11 07:47 AM
    Were you able to tether your Playbook to your iPhone?
    Iphone 4 can act as a P-hot spot.
    05-12-11 08:15 AM
    same here, first ever RIM product, i have an iPhone 4 and a PlayBook.
    05-12-11 09:45 AM
    Good thread. It's great to see everyone get along and even read that some self proclaimed fanboys can honestly appreciate the PB.
    05-12-11 09:49 AM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD