I own and operate an Android device right now. In April 2013, I will likely be switching mobile carriers and, consequently, purchasing a new wireless device. BB10 looks sweet, even in this brief preview. [YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEPYYo0-gfc&feature=player_embedded[/YT]

My point is, while I've loved my Playbook, I never viewed Blackberries as competing on a level anywhere close to Android or iOS (for how I personally use smartphones). But with Cascades/BB10 delivering an awesome phone OS, (and if there's a larger selection of apps that I personally use - but I'm willing to keep the Android device for gaming until more developers come on board though), I may just convert. Even now, I wish my Android device (running 2.3 Gingerbread, sadly) did multitasking remotely close to what my Playbook does. I love flicking around that screen all day! While we're talking about flicking, shall I say that keyboard may just resolve my typing issues?

Not to mention the high level of integration BB10 will provide between my Playbook and the Blackberry. Developers can't possibly resist taking advantage of this, either. The possibilities!

Anyone else considering jumping ship from Android/iOs/Windows to BB10 when it's available to the public?
    Last edited by Mr. Multi-Focus; 05-01-12 at 09:22 AM.
    JakePNEFC likes this.
    05-01-12 09:15 AM
    I would strongly consider getting a BB10 phone if the OS is relatively complete upon release. Apple and Google seem to have a "if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality in regard to their respective operating systems -- and so both have gotten stale to me. However, I use my phone as a music player at the gym so I'll need it to have a decent way of managing playlists. I'll probably still buy music from iTunes regardless of which phone I end up with.
    05-01-12 09:25 AM
    i have to admit the OS looks pretty good, the keyboard looks brilliant but in the ad she seemed to be struggling to type very quickly.
    05-01-12 09:25 AM
    My niece had BB phones for years but last year got an iphones. She tells me she doesn't like it... and now she is waiting for the new BB10 phones and once she gets it, plans to sell her iphone on ebay.
    05-01-12 09:26 AM
    Yes, but as you can see from my avatar, I'm open to anything in mobile tech. I'm going to wait until iPhone 5, BB10 and WP8 have all been in everyone's hands for about 3 months and then decide. Any longer and I'll be too close to the next versions, any shorter and it might be too premature to tell. iPhone 5 is rumoured for summer, BB10 for Fall, and WP8 for winter. I'll likely make my move around Feb or Mar 2013.
    05-01-12 09:31 AM
    Definitely waiting for the BB10 in Oct '12.... Left BB briefly for the Droid but switched back to an old BB when the poor battery life and inability to text in motion became real issues. Suprised to hear my son is also anxiously waiting for BB10 release for the same reasons.
    mz. yaya likes this.
    05-01-12 09:50 AM
    Yes, but as you can see from my avatar, I'm open to anything in mobile tech. I'm going to wait until iPhone 5, BB10 and WP8 have all been in everyone's hands for about 3 months and then decide. Any longer and I'll be too close to the next versions, any shorter and it might be too premature to tell. iPhone 5 is rumoured for summer, BB10 for Fall, and WP8 for winter. I'll likely make my move around Feb or Mar 2013.
    Good point. Major releases of all phones will be available by the time I upgrade in April. And my Playbook will offer a hands-on experience with BB10 (I'll have to check out the integration via second-hand accounts).
    Last edited by Mr. Multi-Focus; 05-01-12 at 10:21 AM.
    05-01-12 09:59 AM
    There had better be a physical keyboard model...
    EWY likes this.
    05-01-12 10:04 AM
    I have a bb and am thinking of switching after watching that to something else.

NOT.
    05-01-12 10:06 AM
    OP, I will turn the table.
    I bought the PB because the BB phone with QNX is to come out.
    I have an old model BB phone and fully intend to upgrade to a BB10 phone.
    Last edited by mandony; 05-01-12 at 10:13 AM.
    05-01-12 10:11 AM
    My current contract is up about the time the new BBX phones are due, and as the PlayBook sold me on BlackBerry I'll most likely be upgrading to one then.
    05-01-12 11:13 AM
    never own BB phone before, now consider getting one when the new one come out bb10, love the OS.
    since having playbook for two weeks now, love it, i do not purchase that many apps so it is not a big problem for me, only video chat is what bother me.
    05-01-12 11:18 AM
    just got my PlayBook last week and really like it needs a few tweeks but just minor things like organizing bookmarks and music play lists.

really like my Bold 9900 but want to get a newer Bold BB10 when they come out. PlayBook is awesome and i think they'll do great if the new phones are as good or better then the PlayBook.
    05-01-12 11:22 AM
    i own an N9, and i may buy an BBOS10 device if there is nothing better from Nokia sporting Maemo/Meltemi by then (which is unlikely).
    05-01-12 11:23 AM
    I'm a techie, always an early adapter.

I finally gave up my Blackberry bold last year (2011) after 6 plus years with RIM. Previously I had carried 2 phones and one of those phones had always been a blackberry. I loved blackberry for their phone first capabilities. It took Apple 5 generations of iPhones to finally get their antenna right. We all know the first 3 generation of iPhones had horrible RF. Android phone's RF are hit or miss also.

I have been carrying 2 phones with me all this time. From Windows Mobile (not windows phone) to iPhone OS/iOS. Had original G1 Android phone as well. Dibbled with Windows Phone Nokia Lumia a couple of weeks ago too.

So I love all phones.

If RIM presents a suitable phone with BB10, I will get one. It all depends on how much it will cost un subsidized. I like to pay full price or just grab one off craigslist if the price is right.

I need a phone to be a phone first. And RIM's blackberry have always been great. I also loved RIM's keyboards. I text and talk.

I will always carry either and iPhone or Android as my second phone.
    aha likes this.
    05-01-12 11:59 AM
    I'm a phone freak. I've had like 10 different phones in the past year and half. I will wait to see how it does at launch. I love trying different platforms out and different phones. This time I'll wait to see how it goes first before jumping the gun like i did on the Playbook on launch day.
    05-01-12 12:06 PM
    I would certainly consider one. I use windows phone and am very happy, but bb10 looks cool and with qnx under the hood will be an excellent device. Wouldn't touch iPhone or android with a barge pole.
    05-01-12 12:34 PM
    Ive had iphones as my last 2 devices. Im a pretty average user- email, internet, a few apps. But i LOVE the playbook. As a a result, im looking forward to getting a bb10 with a similar form factor to pair it with. RIM are missing a trick here- the Playbook at knockdown prices should be actively marketed as a device to go with/augment your blackberry. Im sure there are plenty like me who, if bb10 delivers, would come on board through playbook if they could change the perception of it as a failed device/poor mans ipad. I genuinely prefer to my wifes ipad, and have high hopes for bb10 being a neat and simple connection between the two. Having said that, if i cant put calendar entries into my phone and then simply synch it to my playbook, id be pretty annoyed. How hard can it be?
    05-01-12 01:11 PM
    So the vid shows an artists impression of what it may look like... a funky predictive keyboard and able to watch movies. Not sold.

I went the other way and turning my back on BB. Nokia Lumia 800 and have Tune-in to listen to radio from the UK whilst in Oz for free, GPS with on-board locally stored maps and Skype to ring home for free.

Not waiting a year for a company to get its act together when this is all standard now.
    05-01-12 04:35 PM
    I own and operate an Android device right now. In April 2013, I will likely be switching mobile carriers and, consequently, purchasing a new wireless device. BB10 looks sweet, even in this brief preview.

My point is, while I've loved my Playbook, I never viewed Blackberries as competing on a level anywhere close to Android or iOS (for how I personally use smartphones). But with Cascades/BB10 delivering an awesome phone OS, (and if there's a larger selection of apps that I personally use - but I'm willing to keep the Android device for gaming until more developers come on board though), I may just convert. Even now, I wish my Android device (running 2.3 Gingerbread, sadly) did multitasking remotely close to what my Playbook does. I love flicking around that screen all day! While we're talking about flicking, shall I say that keyboard may just resolve my typing issues?

Not to mention the high level of integration BB10 will provide between my Playbook and the Blackberry. Developers can't possibly resist taking advantage of this, either. The possibilities!

Anyone else considering jumping ship from Android/iOs/Windows to BB10 when it's available to the public?
    As long as the new BB10 devices have SD card slots, I will. But if the dev unit is any real indication of the coming new BB10 devices, they may not have removable memory. If they don't, I'll settle for an old 9900 Bold or just get an Android tablet. It sucks bad that my PB doesn't have the space for videos and/or all of my purchased apps.
    05-01-12 04:39 PM
    I loved my Bold, but left cause it was dated badly. It didn't offer anything that Android phones did. But for pure business of communicating via email and text the Bold is brilliant.

If BB10 means some sort of compatibility with Android like Google services like Gmail and Google Navigation, and STILL offers a physical keyboard I am all in. Sadly, that is most likely not the case.
    Premium1 likes this.
    05-01-12 05:17 PM
    I am going to wait and see what the actual production devices look like and how they perform. I had bb in the past but currently do not so if they really wow me with the devices they show I will strongly consider it.
    05-01-12 05:19 PM
    I've never owned any BlackBerry device. My phones have been (in chonological order): Motorola Razr V6, HTC Touch, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4. Apple dropped the ball with the iPhone 4S.
    I LOVE the Playbook. I do not own one, but I go to Best Buy/Future Shop just to play with one (pretty much every week). I am waiting for the Playbook 2/4G/? I am disappointed they didn't announce it at the keynote. I hope they will soon, or with OS 2.1. The iPad is way over priced, and just dumb. It's too big and too heavy and it doesn't do anything special. I loved the BlackBerry 10 demo. I am very seriously considering it. iOS is boring to me now, and I want something new and exciting. I want the touchscreen only device.

As a side note, I saw a forum post about OS 2.1 offering the Camera api - maybe this will lead to video chat apps on the Playbook. I certainly hope so.

Cheers!
    Last edited by scrapmetal58; 05-03-12 at 05:47 PM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-02-12 05:40 PM
    Me. I'm waiting to see how the Windows 8 phones come out as i'm currently liking my HD7. I am also a Playbook owner and really love the tablet and OS so I think BB10 could definitely be my next phone. To tell you the truth I think the 9900 is great but I decided i'd wait to see what comes out at the end of the year. One big advantage in my mind is that the Blackberry phones will be available on all carriers most likely. All the good Windows phones seem to only come out on AT&T.
    05-02-12 05:58 PM
    Some things to think about:

Pros:
    • The OS/UI (if it's as easy to use as the PBOS).
    • The screen on the Alpha device looks fantastic (the resolution and size are just great for me). I hope the screen will be the same quality as the one on the PB.

These alone are the things that make me put a BB10 phone on my future upgrade list.

Things that should be addressed for me to say I will most likely get one:
    • Price should be competitive (including off-contract price).
    • Battery life should be comparable to other phones (I believe QNX in its current form is quite power-hungry). Replaceable battery would be ideal.
    • I hope the ecosystem will develop by then. Now, my phone is the only way to connect with my colleagues and friends through Skype when I am on the go. So, I at least hope to see Skype or Skype integration.
    • Similarly, I use my phone as a GPS device. So a GPS Navi app will be a must for me. Preferably with off-line maps.
    • Enable background services.
    • I hope it will have good sound/call quality and signal reception (I see no reason why it wouldn't. Sound on the PB is quite good, and from what I read BBs all are good as far as sound/signal are concerned).
    gadgetjunkie89 likes this.
    05-02-12 05:58 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD