Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By blackjack93117
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

Global Posts
    19,184 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

Default Any difference between rapid and standard charger?

I read the specs on the rapid charger in another thread. I was wondering if there is any difference in the way the chargers interact with the device. I've read threads about the standard charger requiring the device to be in standby mode to charge. Because the two use different ports, I was wondering if there were any differences in functionality or limitations to charging. Also, if you have the rapid charger plugged in and the device is connected via USB to a laptop, does one of the two ports automatically not provide a charge?
    Why is it that when your contract commitment is up, the phone you always wanted is now old and the phone you now want won't be out until the next quarter? - Checkout Planet Loser on Channel C003DAB77

Curve 8330 4.5.0.131 -> Bold 9650 6.0.0.706 --> Qued 10 - Plus not one but two totally awesome (albeit extinct) kickin' Playbooks
    CrackBerry User

I know one charges really fast (rapid), the other charges at more of a standard rate.
    Thanked by 2:
    agault (05-05-2011),  robtanz (05-05-2011) 
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    229 Global Posts

You can't have rapid charger and usb plugged in at the same time (a feature some don't like), because the base of the charger covers all other plugs.

I've had it awhile now. It's wicked fast. Much faster than USB charging
    CrackBerry Master

Well, if you've got a charger like this, then you could have them both plugged in...

Newegg.com - BlackBerry Rapid Travel Charger for PlayBook ACC-39341-303

I've got mine on order but it isn't here yet. Like you said, the dock is VERY quick at charging, it's great. I can find out if it knocks the USB port to data only or disables it once it shows up, but I doubt it needs extra help charging the PB...
    Thanked by:
    dgary8 (05-05-2011) 

Global Posts
    19,184 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  

I was actually talking about the travel rapid charger and not the dock (but thanks for the replies anyway). Aside from the obvious 'rapid' charging, I'm interested in the effect of having the travel rapid charger plugged in at the same time as the USB. Also, if charging via the magnetic port negates any of the charging issues like inability to charge while power is off or standby issues.

Also, out of curiosity, does the rapid charging cradle come with a brick (transformer) or is it just a plug and cord? In other words, the travel charger (at least in the pics) has a power cord connected to a power supply brick, which connects to a cable that has the mag connector.
    Why is it that when your contract commitment is up, the phone you always wanted is now old and the phone you now want won't be out until the next quarter? - Checkout Planet Loser on Channel C003DAB77

Curve 8330 4.5.0.131 -> Bold 9650 6.0.0.706 --> Qued 10 - Plus not one but two totally awesome (albeit extinct) kickin' Playbooks
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    229 Global Posts

Ahh sorry I thought you referring to the dock (which is also a rapid charger).

Global Posts
    19,184 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #7  

I've read about issues people are having with the connector on the charging dock. Does anyone have the rapid charger? If so, are there any issues with the connector like people are experiencing with the dock?

Aside from the quicker charge, I think the magnetic connector would help a) reduce wear on the micro USB connector and b) be easier to connect at night without having to fumble around too much.

CrackBerry Abuser

Quote Originally Posted by louzer View Post
    I've read about issues people are having with the connector on the charging dock. Does anyone have the rapid charger? If so, are there any issues with the connector like people are experiencing with the dock?

Aside from the quicker charge, I think the magnetic connector would help a) reduce wear on the micro USB connector and b) be easier to connect at night without having to fumble around too much.
    i have the rapid charger ad yes indeed it charges very fast!! 2 and a half hour and its done!! No problem the charger itself... its a magnetic clip that goes under the pb... i don't have the dock but the rapid charger

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

Global Posts
    16,105 Global Posts

Yes i had problems with my first rapid charger(dock), sometimes it would charge and sometimes not. I read in these forums that it had to do with spring in the dock itself......I returned it to Staples for a replacement with no problems so far (6 weeks) its working and chargers in half (or less) the time as the standard charger
    CrackBerry Abuser

i've got the rapid charger.

i swear by it. the magnetic connection is quite small and allows the other ports to be accessible. as you mentioned, it's very easy to connect at night. it snaps right into place.

i've never had a problem with it not charging or anything like that.
    Banned

PIN
    Wooden shoe like to know

Quote Originally Posted by AkCrimson View Post

I've had it awhile now. It's wicked fast. Much faster than USB charging
    Wow what part of the hemisphere do they say "wicked fast"?
    I like it, can I use it?

I fear any sort of rapid charging because I used a 15 minute charger on some nickel metal hydride camera AA cells and yes it charged them wicked fast, but they only lasted another two or three charging cycles before they were completely wiped out and useless. Does anyone have knowledge of this? Could a rapid charger deteriorate the battery sooner?
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 06-29-2011 at 02:46 PM.
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    67 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack93117 View Post
    I like it, can I use it?
    I
    The part around Boston
    Torch and iphone 4 on AT&T

Global Posts
    19,184 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #13  

Does the rapid charger have any sort of spring mechanism like the dock, or is it just a simple magnetic connector?

Also, a good point was raised about a rapid charger having the possibility of killing a rechargeable battery. Anyone have any information about this?

By the way:

Staples has them on clearance for $7 off plus there's a coupon code for another $7 off.

It does not look like it is "spring loaded" like the dock thingie.
    Banned

PIN
    Wooden shoe like to know

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonnerd View Post
    The part around Boston
    Hmm I get it. Is that because it's near Salem? Wicked Witch trials and all?
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 06-29-2011 at 03:37 PM.
    skyscraper04 likes this.
    CrackBerry Abuser

Global Posts
    165 Global Posts

Does the rapid charger have any sort of spring mechanism like the dock, or is it just a simple magnetic connector?

Also, a good point was raised about a rapid charger having the possibility of killing a rechargeable battery. Anyone have any information about this?
    Theoretically lithium batteries dont suffer from the same limitations as NiMH.. You can charge them anytime, slow, fast, however. I do remember reading that it's always better to charge a battery slower, but I believe with lithiums the effect is minimal.
    "Nothing exists except atoms and empty space; everything else is opinion." ~Democritus
    CrackBerry Abuser

no spring...just magnetic.
    CrackBerry Abuser

PIN
    2320530D

Quote Originally Posted by blackjack93117 View Post
    I like it, can I use it?

I fear any sort of rapid charging because I used a 15 minute charger on some nickel metal hydride camera AA cells and yes it charged them wicked fast, but they only lasted another two or three charging cycles before they were completely wiped out and useless. Does anyone have knowledge of this? Could a rapid charger deteriorate the battery sooner?
    there is a recommended maximum current by which a battery should be charged , so exceeding that to do a faster charging might harm the battery cells , or reduce the life time of the battery .
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    690 Global Posts

mine came todayso i got the rapid charger(not dock) i like it alot,actually the reason that i bought it is that i dont want to break the microusb port in the long run.the magnetic thing is really cool its like one of the macbook charger
    CrackBerry User

Global Posts
    77 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by skyscraper04 View Post
    mine came todayso i got the rapid charger(not dock) i like it alot,actually the reason that i bought it is that i dont want to break the microusb port in the long run.the magnetic thing is really cool its like one of the macbook charger
    Got mine for exact same reason...did not want to risk damaging the micro-usb port with long-term use. It is advertized as a rapid travel charger...rapid it is as it charges at same rate as the stand and twice as fast as the standard charger...however, for travel, it is too bulky for me...the 110v ac input coil of wire seems heavy enough to run an air conditioner!! For travel I will use the standard charger.
    Picked mine up last week on a trip to NYC...at mobilecityonline.com for 39.99.
    CrackBerry User

Default Not the best way to charge your playbook

I purchased two of these devices... one for work... one for home.

I also have 3 Playbooks. When i first got these stands, they worked great for the first month. Now I have to fiddle with the placement of the playbook on the stand in order for the charge to stick. (Alot of the times, I would place the playbook on the stand (it is very easy to line them up)... The charge icon would show up... then it would disappear).

This happens with both stands, and with all three playbooks...

At least with the Micro USB charger, you can connect it no hassle (no fiddling). Putting a playbook on a charger, and coming back to it a couple hours later and noticing that the charge is actually LESS than it was when you put it on there is a pain in the *** if you need to be some where with the playbook!

Just my 2 cents.

BTW... I talked to Blackberry support. They suggest I return the stands to the store for an exchange or money back. REALLY?! I got 2 bum units?
    CrackBerry Addict

Global Posts
    538 Global Posts

I have the Rapid Travel Charger, and it is much after to charge than the charger included in the playbook.

I believe for the rapid charger at 30% battery it took me roughly 2 hours. Usually around that amount battery life it takes me double the time to charge up.

Also with the rapid travel charger the connection is magnetic. Before I was worried about damaging the USB port as I charge the PB daily.

My advice: If you have a playbook and can afford it, get the rapid TRAVEL charger. Do not get the dock charger as it doesn't expose the USB or HDMI port when charging.

Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by YouAintTheHost View Post
    I also have 3 Playbooks. When i first got these stands, they worked great for the first month. Now I have to fiddle with the placement of the playbook on the stand in order for the charge to stick. (Alot of the times, I would place the playbook on the stand (it is very easy to line them up)... The charge icon would show up... then it would disappear).
    The rapid chargers do seem to be defective, and we should be putting pressure on RIM to fix the issue and to support people who've bought the bad ones.

I've reported elsewhere on repairing my charging cradle. I did not post pictures, but if you'll scroll down in that thread you'll see photos of the regular rapid charger (non-cradle) connector, posted by F2.

It's a bit hard to see at first, but if you look carefully you'll notice that one of the three little pins (inside the plastic shroud for the connector) is depressed a bit relative to the other two. That was basically the same as what I saw with my cradle, and what I fixed.

Can you confirm that your units have the same symptom? If so, I believe the reason yours worked and are now failing is simply that the connection was borderline to begin with, and the very slight wear that will have occurred since you bought them is enough to push it past the threshold, and now it's very flaky.

I'm obligated to point out also that my app Battery Guru can be fairly helpful in reducing your frustration with this problem, as it helps you see immediately when you've got a bad (or good) connection. It was ultimately not enough in my case, however, since my unit had reached the point of requiring minutes of fiddling at a time to get the tablet to seat properly.

Hope some of that helps...