Bestbuy surprises today with an Asus 10.1" Android Tablet priced at just $399 .

ASUS Eee Pad Transformer shows up at Best Buy for $400 -- Engadget

While not a competitor to the Playbook in business,
    I'd think it sure will be for the consumer at Bestbuy.

A 10.1" Android 3.0 tablet with an IPS screen at $399 will be a big seller I'd think?
    Last edited by Sonic77; 03-31-11 at 12:26 PM.
    03-31-11 11:54 AM
    The specs on it look nice. IPS screen with gorilla glass should be nice. Also has memory card slot.

$400 is a very nice price also....
    03-31-11 11:58 AM
    I wonder if they will be making a smaller version? I also read that honeycomb cereal isn't so hot yet either.
    03-31-11 11:58 AM
    10 inches is too big, that's why i am going with the pb... Now, let the "that's what she said" replies begin...
    03-31-11 12:00 PM
    Available for preorder at Amazon.ca already too, $399 CND !
    03-31-11 12:13 PM
    10 inches is too big, that's why i am going with the pb... Now, let the "that's what she said" replies begin...
    that's what she said.

But on a serious note, i agree. I've had an iPad, and I am specifically skipping out on the iPad 2 to get a PlayBook because I want something that will fit in my pocket, not have to carry around in a laptop bag.
    Last edited by dasilvetz; 03-31-11 at 12:23 PM.
    03-31-11 12:13 PM
    03-31-11 12:23 PM
    ... I want something that will fit in my pocket, ....
    After using a Galaxy Tab 7" tablet, while it does fit in some pockets,
    it doesn't take very long before you wish it was somewhere else
    03-31-11 12:34 PM
    it doesn't take very long before you wish it was somewhere else
    Uhhh, what? Pants?
    03-31-11 12:46 PM
    Wow that makes the Xoom pricing look even more ridiculous.
    03-31-11 12:46 PM
    that's what she said.

But on a serious note, i agree. I've had an iPad, and I am specifically skipping out on the iPad 2 to get a PlayBook because I want something that will fit in my pocket, not have to carry around in a laptop bag.
    I asked the question in another thread about 7" being portable. Are you talking about pants pockets and are you planning on putting some type of case on it?

Reason I ask is with a case I'd think it would be a tight fit also I'd be scared of the screen cracking or if you go the back pocket route, forget and well *crrrrack oh fiddle sticks***
    03-31-11 12:54 PM
    Wow that makes the Xoom pricing look even more ridiculous.
    I guess to be fair the wifi xoom has 32GB storage, GPS and barometer and is $599.I'm guessing the $200 difference is in the GPS and storage

The ASUS is 16GB and no GPS or barometer. Although it sounds like that screen may be better and it does have SD and microsd card reader

That being said $400 is a good price.
    03-31-11 12:57 PM
    Women can put the Playbook in a purse, I'd guess,
    but I think if your planing to carry it in a pocket,
    you'll change your mind rather quickly ...
    03-31-11 01:00 PM

While not a competitor to the Playbook in business,
    For now I haven't seen much that make me think the PlayBook was design for business. They only way it will connect to a company' network securely is IF it is tethered to a BlackBerry. Using Wi-Fi a PlayBook is no more secure than an iPad or an Android tablet.

I sure in the future RIM plans to implement this, along with all of the communication features that the PlayBook is missing. Just seems like the current PlayBook is some kind of test model so they at least have something in the market.

Really think QNX is going to be a great platform... but also think we are going to have to wait a year to see it implement in both the Phone and a fully functional tablet.
    03-31-11 01:18 PM
    Bestbuy surprises today with an Asus 10.1" Android Tablet priced at just $399 .

ASUS Eee Pad Transformer shows up at Best Buy for $400 -- Engadget
    Couple dumb statements on a linked article on that sight.
    Asus Sticking with Windows 7 Tablets Against iPad, Android Army - PCWorld

What do you think? Is there room for Windows 7 in the already-crowded tablet space? Or are Android and iPad (perhaps even webOS?) apps where it's at?
    No mention of Blackberry AND there are already Windows 7 tablets out. There have been Windows tablets out for a LONG time. No research apparently.
    03-31-11 01:21 PM
    there will be dual boot windows 7 and android (Honeycomb) coming out in q2/q3. Not sure how much i will like them but the idea is quite nice if done correctly
    03-31-11 01:33 PM
    About the size format, I have to agree that 7" makes more sense to me too. I have an 11" screen for my notebook which is only slightly larger than an iPad, but it comes with a real keyboard, real multi-tasking, and when i open up Facebook, it actually let's me play my games on it.

Okay, let the "Apple guy who never needed cut n' paste" begin berating me for that one. ;-)
    03-31-11 02:20 PM
    Well, contrary to all this portability thing with the 7" tab, by the time you put a case on it, it's not going to be any more portable than the 10" ones. Trust me, I've had both. That 7" is not very comfortable in your pocket after a while, if you have a pocket that it will fit in.
    03-31-11 02:41 PM
    I guess to be fair the wifi xoom has 32GB storage, GPS and barometer and is $599.I'm guessing the $200 difference is in the GPS and storage

The ASUS is 16GB and no GPS or barometer. Although it sounds like that screen may be better and it does have SD and microsd card reader

That being said $400 is a good price.
    Don't forget the Xoom also has the micro sd slot and OTG usb, and it also uses the Gorilla glass.
    03-31-11 02:49 PM
    Thanks. I forgot about the USB..

According to engaget Best Buy has pull the link to the ASUS
    03-31-11 02:58 PM
    Couple dumb statements on a linked article on that sight.
    Asus Sticking with Windows 7 Tablets Against iPad, Android Army - PCWorld

What do you think? Is there room for Windows 7 in the already-crowded tablet space? Or are Android and iPad (perhaps even webOS?) apps where it's at?
    No mention of Blackberry AND there are already Windows 7 tablets out. There have been Windows tablets out for a LONG time. No research apparently.

I bought the ASUS EP121 running windows 7, and I think it's excellent. The thing is, I don't think it is even in the same category as a playbook or ipad. It's really a full on computer with a touchscreen interface and more computing power + input ports. I think that's where microsoft should focus their windows 7 use, in higher end computer slates. I don't think they can compete on a more affordable level with honeycomb and ios.

I personally draw a distinction between the devices running windows 7 and those like the ipad, playbook, and android devices. I think of the former as a slate, and the latter as tablets. The tablets need to be supplemented by a computer where as the slate IS a computer.
    03-31-11 03:00 PM
    Don't forget the Xoom also has the micro sd slot and OTG usb, and it also uses the Gorilla glass.
    As of right now any honeycomb tablets with a SD slot does not have it active. Due to the way honeycomb handles data they are resolving issues with it. Its merely a software issue and supposed to be resolved come may and 4g if not sooner. With that said I have 30gb of 32gb filled on mine. But if you root your honeycomb you can make the USB port work with thumb drives or even keyboards. I won't do mine for a while personally not up to rooting at this point.
    Last edited by drethos; 03-31-11 at 03:11 PM.
    03-31-11 03:08 PM
    Just imagine what its going to be like around xMas this year. There's going to be such a glut of Android tablets flooding the market that they'll have to slash prices to compete. All of the early adopters are going to be really irritated then...
    03-31-11 03:44 PM
    I asked the question in another thread about 7" being portable. Are you talking about pants pockets and are you planning on putting some type of case on it?

Reason I ask is with a case I'd think it would be a tight fit also I'd be scared of the screen cracking or if you go the back pocket route, forget and well *crrrrack oh fiddle sticks***
    well, i have a nook color (also 7") and it fit fine in my pocket.. but not with the case on.
    03-31-11 08:45 PM
    Yeah I figured it would fit but thought it would be a very tight fit with a case on. Still don't think I'd want to carry it in my pocket though....
    03-31-11 09:14 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD