Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 41
Like Tree28Likes
  1. rob c's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default another tablet but not as good as the playbook

    Recently got a Nexus 10" (Samsung). Nice device - great screen. Runs Jellybean 4.2. But not the equal to the Playbook as it now exists. Not even close. And when os10 updates arrive (be patient), PB will continue to be the beat device
  2. rob c's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  

    Default

    Should have written best device. Writing on the Nexus. PB excels there also.
  3. brianatbb's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    383 Posts
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    #3  

    Default

    I find this hard to believe. In what ways does the PB excel. We know it's not in the app offerings.
    Acer Asprie S755-6832, Playbook, Samsung SII HD LTE, HTC One v
  4. sad_old_man's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    8,909 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,924 Global Posts
    PIN
    USN - CDR
    #4  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rob c View Post
    Recently got a Nexus 10" (Samsung). Nice device - great screen. Runs Jellybean 4.2. But not the equal to the Playbook as it now exists. Not even close. And when os10 updates arrive (be patient), PB will continue to be the beat device
    May I strongly recommend any of the following:

    Brandy
    Bourbon
    Port
    Rioja
    Taquilla
    Campari and Soda (recommended buy a friend of mine so don't blame me)
    Baileys (also recommended)
    Gin and Tonic
    Pernod
    Any good red wine
    Guiness

    After copious amounts of your choice of above you will realise that you too are a Blackbarian. Don't fight it accept it and use the force.

    Use the force Luke and it will serve you well!
    kbz1960 and GooseberryFool like this.
  5. Gooseberry Falls's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,726 Posts
    #5  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brianatbb View Post
    I find this hard to believe. In what ways does the PB excel. We know it's not in the app offerings.
    Apps aren't everything. It is the overall user experience. Jellybean was supposed to be "buttery smooth". I have a 4.1.2 Jellybean tablet and it is not as smooth and stable as the PB OS. Few gestures, you can swipe off the notification screen and 5 apps screens, that's about it. Apps are buggy on Jellybean and alot need to be forced closed and cache cleared. It's a PIA. The apps on PB, while limited, have rarely crashed. Believe me, QNX is the way to go.
    Thanked by 2:
    berryheadsoon (02-06-2013),  ffejrobins30 (02-05-2013) 
    David in Durham and pronomad like this.
  6. Kdawg7's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    19 Posts
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    #6  

    Default

    I totally agree with you Gooseberry.
  7. sad_old_man's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    8,909 Posts
    Global Posts
    8,924 Global Posts
    PIN
    USN - CDR
    #7  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kdawg7 View Post
    I totally agree with you Gooseberry.
    Ever tried gooseberry wine. Mmmmmmmm
    GooseberryFool likes this.
  8. brianatbb's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    383 Posts
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gooseberry Falls View Post
    Apps aren't everything. It is the overall user experience. Jellybean was supposed to be "buttery smooth". I have a 4.1.2 Jellybean tablet and it is not as smooth and stable as the PB OS. Few gestures, you can swipe off the notification screen and 5 apps screens, that's about it. Apps are buggy on Jellybean and alot need to be forced closed and cache cleared. It's a PIA. The apps on PB, while limited, have rarely crashed. Believe me, QNX is the way to go.
    Sorry to hear your jellybean tablet is a piece of junk. My experience with ICS, an inferior OS in most estimations and on an entry-level phone at that, is not at all similar. And I would never characterize my PB as smooth and stable. The browser is hardly tolerable unless you turn off java and flash, at which point it is comparable to or perhaps a tad quicker than my entry-level android phone using Chrome. Add back java and flash and it is significantly slower. And comparing android apps to those on PB is a joke. By far the majority of PB apps I download, native and android, I immediately delete as they simply don't work or are painful to coax them to do so, while I keep at least three-quarters of the many more android apps I've downloaded to my phone (most of which are not even available in appworld). As for having to close JB and clear the cache "a lot", again, your experience is light years away from mine with ICS (operating with only half a gig of ram). In fact, I've only cleared the cache three or four times on my phone (in four months) while I clear the PB's about once a week.

    I won't claim android is perfect. But I get a real laugh out of postings where apparently desperate PB owners extoll their unit's smooth operation, quality apps, and all-round cutting-edge performance. Thanks for the humor.
    Acer Asprie S755-6832, Playbook, Samsung SII HD LTE, HTC One v
    Thanked by:
    ren2008 (02-05-2013) 
    AGalland likes this.
  9. jpash549's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,641 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,867 Global Posts
    #9  

    Default

    OP:Appropriate thread and post for the Crackberry forum. Have the Nexus 7 and Jelly Bean is improving with each update although new bugs do get introduced both with the operating system and in some apps causing the crashing problems. Getting more used to it but plan to continue mainly with the BBPB. There certainly are many more apps in the Android world including launchers and keyboards and it seems to take some time to get the tablet set up for a really good experience.

    Brian: Hey get an iPad mini.
  10. brianatbb's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    383 Posts
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    #10  

    Default

    I'll probably get a new tablet later this year. Not sure which but probably not an ipad as my current phone is an android. Had been hoping BB10 would make that decision easy. Can't say it has.
    Acer Asprie S755-6832, Playbook, Samsung SII HD LTE, HTC One v
  11. Scougar's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    57 Posts
    #11  

    Default

    I would take a Nexus 10 any day of the week over a Playbook. I would take a Nexus 7 any day of the week over a Playbook. That's reality. What have you been smoking OP?
    Thanked by:
    ren2008 (02-05-2013) 
    Bbnivende likes this.
  12. eddy_berry's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,161 Posts
    #12  

    Default Re: another tablet but not as good as the playbook

    Quote Originally Posted by Scougar View Post
    I would take a Nexus 10 any day of the week over a Playbook. I would take a Nexus 7 any day of the week over a Playbook. That's reality. What have you been smoking OP?
    Sorry mate but that is your reality. People see me with my PlayBook and think I'm smokin funny stuff too until they see what I use it for. Then they realize the appeal it has to me and that the funny smoke smell coming off me has little to do with my choice of tablet. Hehe. I'm just kidding. But, no, seriously. I would like a new Nexus too because I'm a tech geek. I love to fiddle with new technology. But I'm poor (student) and my PB does what I need it to so it has been by my side for over a year now without fault. OP just thinks the nexus is not going to rival his experience on PB and in my opinion they can all do it you just need to get used to a different OS.

    Edit: Yes the app thing is annoying but I find sideloading on PB takes care of a bit of that. If anything OP enjoy that Nexus 10. Many people don't have the opportunity to play with the latest gadgets.
    For the best typing experience only one brand does it the best. That brand is BlackBerry.
    BlackBerry. Nobody likes a typo.

    Check out my collection of CB and BB wallpapers
  13. deanbroad2002's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    18 Posts
    #13  

    Default

    I have owned nearly every decent tablet on the market but for some reason I always go back to the playbook.
    kdeckels and eddy_berry like this.
  14. SifJar's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,373 Posts
    #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gooseberry Falls View Post
    Apps aren't everything. It is the overall user experience. Jellybean was supposed to be "buttery smooth". I have a 4.1.2 Jellybean tablet and it is not as smooth and stable as the PB OS. Few gestures, you can swipe off the notification screen and 5 apps screens, that's about it. Apps are buggy on Jellybean and alot need to be forced closed and cache cleared. It's a PIA. The apps on PB, while limited, have rarely crashed. Believe me, QNX is the way to go.
    No offence, but it sounds like you had a bad experience with a pathetic, cheap Android tablet. Had you been using a Nexus tablet, I'm confident your experience would be far better. The beauty (or problem) of Android is that it is available on such a range of devices; on some, yes it is going to suck. On those same tablets, any modern mobile OS would. On others, which can actually compete with their peers on a hardware level, it is a fantastic, stable OS with considerably more apps, and many apps of a much greater quality than any found on the PB.
    UberCurrency - Free currency conversion app for PlayBook.
  15. jwn66's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    865 Posts
    Global Posts
    932 Global Posts
    #15  

    Default

    No apps = nothing to do. Hey I love my PB as much as the next guy, had it since launch day, but let's be honest, besides the OS there's nothing to do on it except browse the browser. I don't understand when people say apps aren't everything. They are EVERYTHING. It's like buying a PC and never installing a single program, what, do you sit there playing with the calculator and minesweeper all day??? No programs or apps make PlayBook a dull boy...
    Thanked by 2:
    Bbnivende (02-06-2013),  ren2008 (02-05-2013) 
  16. eddy_berry's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,161 Posts
    #16  

    Default Re: another tablet but not as good as the playbook

    Quote Originally Posted by jwn66 View Post
    No apps = nothing to do. Hey I love my PB as much as the next guy, had it since launch day, but let's be honest, besides the OS there's nothing to do on it except browse the browser. I don't understand when people say apps aren't everything. They are EVERYTHING. It's like buying a PC and never installing a single program, what, do you sit there playing with the calculator and minesweeper all day??? No programs or apps make PlayBook a dull boy...
    I can understand it doesn't have enough apps for everybody. But it does have apps, some apps, not no apps. And the browser is awesome (once you know how to keep it going) Love watching movies and TV right in the browser. What apps do you use everyday, or at least once a week, that you would like to have on your PB?
    For the best typing experience only one brand does it the best. That brand is BlackBerry.
    BlackBerry. Nobody likes a typo.

    Check out my collection of CB and BB wallpapers
  17. felix001's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    37 Posts
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    #17  

    Default

    No apps = nothing to do ?!
    I know it's each to their own but today on my playbook i have:
    Watched a programme on iplayer
    Downloaded and listened to some music
    Watched a couple of videos
    Watched youtube
    Been on twitter
    Been on facebook
    Worked on some documents
    And am now listening to a radio programme that i missed this morning
    Not an app in sight..
    I did play angry birds for about 10 minutes, but got bored so just listened to some music

    Im not suggesting that the pb is better than the nexus but it is for me, i have a nexus as well which for some reason i just dont use. For me, a huge listener of music what makes it my preferred choice is that i can play music on it and it sounds good enough with the onboard speakers for casual listening. The nexus is so horribly tinny that i need to plug in a mini speaker,which is just a pain. A simple thing but for me a winner. Also my other pb is generally used by my girlfriend who also has a nexus (yes a 4 tablet family). When i ask her why she uses the pb, she says "i dont know its just nicer"
    Horses for courses. :-)
  18. rob c's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gooseberry Falls View Post
    Apps aren't everything. It is the overall user experience. Jellybean was supposed to be "buttery smooth". I have a 4.1.2 Jellybean tablet and it is not as smooth and stable as the PB OS. Few gestures, you can swipe off the notification screen and 5 apps screens, that's about it. Apps are buggy on Jellybean and alot need to be forced closed and cache cleared. It's a PIA. The apps on PB, while limited, have rarely crashed. Believe me, QNX is the way to go.
    All true and more.
  19. brianatbb's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    383 Posts
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    #19  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eddy_berry View Post
    I can understand it doesn't have enough apps for everybody. But it does have apps, some apps, not no apps. And the browser is awesome (once you know how to keep it going) Love watching movies and TV right in the browser. What apps do you use everyday, or at least once a week, that you would like to have on your PB?
    As an android (phone) user, here's a few apps I use regularly and/or miss not having for the PB.
    - quality map apps. Maps With You is my favorite for international use but I also use Canada Maps, Navigator, World and ViewRanger, depending on the need.
    - GPS programs GPS WpX and GPS Essentials
    - My Tracks
    - Runstar
    - Lemon Wallet
    - CamScanner
    - Instagram
    - Kindle
    - FlightView
    - GateGuru
    - WorldMaate
    - TripIt
    - AirBnB
    - CAA
    - Urbanspoon
    - Tim Hortons
    - Starbucks
    - a good office program like Polaris or Kingsoft Office
    - some of the Google apps (I can't even sign into Google on my PB for some reason)
    - Chrome
    - Skype
    - Current Caller ID
    - Google Sky
    - Data Traffic
    - some news apps
    - a widget (can't remember name) that provides quick access to things like wifi, gps, sync, bluetooth
    - SugarSync

    There's a few, but I hope you get the picture. You might have guessed I travel a lot and also enjoy getting out of doors year round. Nice to have the apps to go with that lifestyle
    Acer Asprie S755-6832, Playbook, Samsung SII HD LTE, HTC One v
    Thanked by:
    ren2008 (02-05-2013) 
    kdeckels, howarmat and eddy_berry like this.
  20. jwn66's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    865 Posts
    Global Posts
    932 Global Posts
    #20  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eddy_berry View Post
    I can understand it doesn't have enough apps for everybody. But it does have apps, some apps, not no apps. And the browser is awesome (once you know how to keep it going) Love watching movies and TV right in the browser. What apps do you use everyday, or at least once a week, that you would like to have on your PB?
    Skype, Netflix, Slingplayer, Hulu, Instagram, Games (too many to list)....etc. I can't list everything, just go look at other platforms, you'll find yourself saying, hey that would be useful. We can scratch Skype and Instagram off (fingers crossed). I get a little misty eyed when I open up the app store on the iPad and see what's there for the picking. BB10 has gotten off to a good start in acquiring apps that are needed for the platform to take off. I really hope they can get a few more of the big names to entice others to jump ship to BB.
    eddy_berry likes this.
  21. Vorkosigan's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,162 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,163 Global Posts
    #21  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brianatbb View Post
    Sorry to hear your jellybean tablet is a piece of junk. My experience with ICS, an inferior OS in most estimations and on an entry-level phone at that, is not at all similar. And I would never characterize my PB as smooth and stable. The browser is hardly tolerable unless you turn off java and flash, at which point it is comparable to or perhaps a tad quicker than my entry-level android phone using Chrome. Add back java and flash and it is significantly slower. And comparing android apps to those on PB is a joke. By far the majority of PB apps I download, native and android, I immediately delete as they simply don't work or are painful to coax them to do so, while I keep at least three-quarters of the many more android apps I've downloaded to my phone (most of which are not even available in appworld). As for having to close JB and clear the cache "a lot", again, your experience is light years away from mine with ICS (operating with only half a gig of ram). In fact, I've only cleared the cache three or four times on my phone (in four months) while I clear the PB's about once a week.

    I won't claim android is perfect. But I get a real laugh out of postings where apparently desperate PB owners extoll their unit's smooth operation, quality apps, and all-round cutting-edge performance. Thanks for the humor.
    You think it's amusing because someone prefers pb to android. I find it amazing that anyone likes android. Everyone has their likes and dislikes. However the difference is I accept that people have different likes and I don't assume that the Android owners are 'desperate' whatever you meant by that. And yes I have used an android tablet, and an ipad. I prefer the playbook.
    Power corrupts. Knowledge is power.
    Study hard. Be evil.
  22. Vorkosigan's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,162 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,163 Global Posts
    #22  

    Default

    And to the OP - use whatever tablet works best for you and don't worry about people trying to 'prove' that it can't possibly be your preferred tablet.
    Power corrupts. Knowledge is power.
    Study hard. Be evil.
  23. jamesharmeling's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,004 Posts
    PIN
    333BF5D4
    #23  

    Default

    I've never owned another tablet except for a 7" droid thing that we keep around the house for kids and company, so I can't add anything to this except "Thanks for posting".
    BB then, now, forever...yeah, I said it.
  24. rob c's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #24  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vorkosigan View Post
    And to the OP - use whatever tablet works best for you and don't worry about people trying to 'prove' that it can't possibly be your preferred tablet.
    My thoughts also... amazes me always how emotionally invested some get about their toys... It is a device, nothing more, nothing less.
    Play nice and with whatever pleases....you...
  25. Richard Kapp's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    62 Posts
    #25  

    Default

    I think the Playbook does a very good job for it's current price. If it was in the same price range as the iPad mini, I'd buy the mini since the experience is faster, smoother and there are more and better apps. But given that the PB is currently available for 169 EUR (I bought my 32 GB for 200 EUR some months ago), it's the best tablet your money can buy. Actually, I am an Apple user. I own an iPad 3, iPhone 4S, Apple TV, etc. and I was also interested in the iPad Mini due to its smaller form factor. Then I saw the pricing of the PB and I decided to go for it. I was worried about apps and being locked out of the Apple ecosystem, but although the weakness of the PB began to show over the last month (not enough quality apps, browser is slow, UI of Apps is not unified, missing features, Android apps crash and take ages to load, etc.) I still use it more than my iPad 3. It's mostly due to its form factor but I also began to appreciate the great intuitive gestures of the QNX OS. I also think that mail on the PB offers more functionality over iOS 6 (you can simply attach anything you like, change fonts, etc.), I also like the smooth multitasking and being able to use a filesystem (I always need to jailbreak my iPad for this). Also, I found that I'm not locked out of the Apple eco system as much as I though I would be. I use iTunesSync to sync my music from my Mac, I found a great app called ImageAirplay that allows me to Airplay my photos via my Apple TV 2 and I can easily transfer files from my MAC via WLAN, which is also a fantastic feature of the PB. So, overall I really enjoy using my Playbook. There are some great games (love to play them on my TV via HDMI) and the quality apps are similar to iOS, they put the screen to good use. Android apps on a tablet like the Nexus, however are often stretched out smartphone versions lacking a beautiful and useful UI. As a designer and multimedia producer, I used everything from Android to Symbian to iOS and now QNX. I really think that iOS provides the most comfortable and smooth experience of them all, but QNX is close behind. You might think otherwise, but that's my opinion. What the PB desperately needs are more quality apps (the usual suspects like a good news app like Flipboard, Flickr, a better Facebook app, Skype, native Google Maps, native Kindle, etc.). Other than that it does what I need. Hope that BB10 will solve the current problems.
    Last edited by Richard Kapp; 02-06-2013 at 06:48 AM.
    psparks and rossjackson01 like this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Will this phone ever be as good as the iPhone?
    By jmguitar23 in forum Storm Rants & Raves Forum
    Replies: 108
    Last Post: 03-31-2009, 10:38 PM
  2. Will this phone ever be as good as the iPhone?
    By jmguitar23 in forum BlackBerry Storm
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-22-2009, 12:34 PM
  3. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-13-2009, 02:42 PM
  4. BlackBerry Interface Not as Good as Windows Mobile
    By dv310p3r in forum Storm Rants & Raves Forum
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 01-09-2009, 08:31 PM
  5. signal not as good as curve.
    By quigley in forum BlackBerry Storm
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-27-2008, 11:56 AM

Posting Permissions