To be honest, I haven't used SlingPlayer. But at this moment,the loss of any developer would be crucial. What bugs me is the fact that such developers come out and mock the BlackBerry Platform. You're not just insulting the platform, you're insulting its users too.

These developers make a huge mistake by thinking that they should develop for platforms that have the most users. SlingPlayer develops for Android and Apple platforms. I'm using an iPod and I don't see any reviews on the SlinPlayer app, so its not much of a hit. And with a price tag of $30, I don't think any Android person is going to buy it. Platforms like BlackBerry and WindowsPhone are where your Apps are going to stand out, These platforms are more profitable if you have a mediocre app such as SlingPlayer.

Conclusion: Loss for BlackBerry and a bigger loss for SlingPlayer.
    What kind of oversensitive fanboy are you anyway? You'll need to sue your English teacher because there's no hint of 'mockery' or 'insult' in the statement from Slingplayer.

as to the apps on iOS, there are currently nearly 8000 reviews for both the iPhone and ipad versions with the average rating for the current version standing at 4 stars. Most users have nothing but praise for the latest version even at the current price of $30.

Most of the users praise it for being an EXCELLENT app and most of the one and 2 star reviews are simply users irate at the removal of compatibility with older Slingbox models. So you're posting misinformation here about the quality (and sales success) of the app.

App development takes time and money and there's no compelling need to commit either of those to OS6/7 and Playbook OS (which are pretty much doomed anyway). BB10 should be a potential market but adopting a wait-and-see option is pretty much a safe bet.

By the way, in keeping with the 'woefully uninformed' theme of your post, you clearly are unaware that there has been a Slingplayer app for Windows Phone 7 since November 2010....and it looks really great too
    06-07-12 03:32 AM
    Wait and see approach is what it is. I kinda agree that that's the approach they should take. BTW where did the Starbucks app go for BB??

Anyways, I find workarounds and live with them, but Sling will NOT be getting another penny from me. So... I just downgraded my Samsung Galaxy Player Wifi 5.0 from Gingerbread to Froyo, installed the old version of SlingPlayer so it's compatible with my Sling Classic, and now I'm Slinging away. The "extra device" doesn't take up that much space in my computer bag ;-)

and just for clarification, I love the CONCEPT of Sling, not the company. The app sorta sux too with the price factored in
    06-07-12 09:38 AM
    I have a serious question.

What is slingbox? What does it do exactly?
    06-07-12 07:50 PM
    Sling uses silverlight.
    Not the facebook app. It worked for a bit on the PB until they decided to block it.

And to the poster who said sling needed to make a player for each specific device..not true.

Many have tried and used slingplayers for other device on their BB. Likt the bold 9700 version works on the tour. Another version works on the 9800 (but only in landscape mode).
    06-07-12 08:43 PM
    Sling isn't only alienating BB users.

People with the new Arris Gateway Mocha set top boxes got screwed. Sling didn't bother making a remote for it and they asked someone on facebook to send them the remote so they can make a remote for the slingplayer. Sling said they would send it back. It's been about 3 months and they guys hasn't got his remote back after telling sling multiple times to send it back. Still no remote for the arris gateway
    06-07-12 08:48 PM
    I have a serious question.

What is slingbox? What does it do exactly?
    For example: It is a box that connects to my cable tv service (cable wire) and my ethernet port on my router at the same time. It takes the cable input and streams it over the ethernet wire. It works with set-top boxes as well (thru S-Video and Component connections depending on the Slingbox model)

Essentially you are able to watch tv when you are not at home. You need to install SlingPlayer on whatever device you want to watch tv on: a computer, an Android, or an iPad/iPhone. You need to know the public IP address of your home internet service in order to use SlingPlayer. For BB devices Sling Player is only available for OS5 (hence the topic of this thread).

BTW I use it mostly around the house when cleaning. I can walk around the house watching tv on my iPod Touch, my iPad, or my Samsung Galaxy 5 inch tablet (my favorite) and watch LeBron torch the Celtics (yes I'm still a LeBron fan, to some degree). When I'm away from home and can't wait to see the highlights on ESPN for an important game I'd rather be watching at home, I can turn on SlingPlayer and connect to my Slingbox and enjoy live tv. SlingPlayer allows you to change channels on the fly too.

Like I said the concept is wonderful...
    06-08-12 10:23 AM
    Not the facebook app. It worked for a bit on the PB until they decided to block it.

And to the poster who said sling needed to make a player for each specific device..not true.

Many have tried and used slingplayers for other device on their BB. Likt the bold 9700 version works on the tour. Another version works on the 9800 (but only in landscape mode).
    Yep, pretty sad of a company when I have to use a jury rigged version on my torch to see my slingbox. Just terrible management going on over there, the wait and see attitude is ludicrous, apps are what make tablets, by them not developing it will not grow, and they won't build cause it's not growing, and all they're doing is losing money by not selling boxes and mobile apps, it's hilarious tbqh, bunch of monkeys over there. And the same goes for any other companies out there.

They had dam well better be preparing for bb10 and the ONE system it will run on, RIM kills itself with so many inane form factors, pick 2 pls and ignore the whiners and save your company.
    06-08-12 03:14 PM
    Haha, found this OLD thread. Boy look at all the upset folks here:
    Older Slingboxes won't work with SlingPlayer for iPhone -- Engadget

apparently not just RIM folks were upset

btw, I still got my Classic and REFUSE to update it
    06-12-12 02:52 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD