Hello,

I've looked at various threads, and still nothing is making sense so:

My playbook is not charging, and giving me a false charge. It will read either 17% or 100%. But immediately shut off if I unplug from the powersource.

It is able to work when plugged in (I am using the rapid charger) it is showing a charging signal. Also, it is alternating between the charging signal and plugged in symbol.

I ran the batteryguru app, it shows that:
    -battery health 88%
    -voltage 4.21v
    -recharge count 169
    -charge 0.00w-9.7w (it keeps fluctuating on differentreads)

I am running the most recent os update, I have a few sideloaded apps...and the machine is a year and some change old.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

**My other guess is that it is a bad battery and the battery needs to be replaced, and has anyone successfully replaced the battery?
    07-29-13 12:40 PM
    How did this manifest itself? did it slowly "creep up", or did it just decide to go wonky on its own?
    It the unit 1.5 yrs. old from "birth", or when you aquired it?
    It is possible for one of the batteries to fail and give you this type of headache. It is also possible that the charging port/USB connector could be at fault. Does the charging status change when you wiggle the charging cord? Maybe an open in the cord. I know the Micro USB connector is fragile. You might try a charging dock. It uses the pins adjacent to the USB port, and will not stress the connector. That's how I charge mine, Charging dock only. USB when transfering files, save stress on connector.You can find these CHEAP now, I got a second one for work on Amazon for 12 bucks.

C

C
    07-29-13 01:06 PM
    Oh yeah, Your "name" is Ruster Cogburn, but your Avatar looks like Clint..........

C
    07-29-13 01:07 PM
    How did this manifest itself? did it slowly "creep up", or did it just decide to go wonky on its own?
    It the unit 1.5 yrs. old from "birth", or when you aquired it?
    It is possible for one of the batteries to fail and give you this type of headache. It is also possible that the charging port/USB connector could be at fault. Does the charging status change when you wiggle the charging cord? Maybe an open in the cord. I know the Micro USB connector is fragile. You might try a charging dock. It uses the pins adjacent to the USB port, and will not stress the connector. That's how I charge mine, Charging dock only. USB when transfering files, save stress on connector.You can find these CHEAP now, I got a second one for work on Amazon for 12 bucks.

C

C
    It has been progressive maybe a week or so.

I suspect the machine is older, probably age of initial production.

I am charging on a dock, rapid charger.

The headache is that it actually turns on, but is not charging...so no problems with blinking lights etc.

All other relevant info is in my initial post.
    07-29-13 01:10 PM
    Oh yeah, Your "name" is Ruster Cogburn, but your Avatar looks like Clint..........

C
    man with harmonica,

chuck bronson.
    07-29-13 01:11 PM
    Hello,

I've looked at various threads, and still nothing is making sense so:

My playbook is not charging, and giving me a false charge. It will read either 17% or 100%. But immediately shut off if I unplug from the powersource.

It is able to work when plugged in (I am using the rapid charger) it is showing a charging signal. Also, it is alternating between the charging signal and plugged in symbol.

I ran the batteryguru app, it shows that:
    -battery health 88%
    -voltage 4.21v
    -recharge count 169
    -charge 0.00w-9.7w (it keeps fluctuating on differentreads)

I am running the most recent os update, I have a few sideloaded apps...and the machine is a year and some change old.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

**My other guess is that it is a bad battery and the battery needs to be replaced, and has anyone successfully replaced the battery?
    If your playbook is actually at 4.21 volts it is fully charged no matter what the percentage reported is. If the percentage reported is jumping around does the voltage reported also jump around? At the reported battery voltage the the charge should never be over a trickle of less than a watt. Battery Guru of course can only report data furnished by the PB. If charging on the rapid charging dock is erratic first thing to do is check the charging pins on the dock. But since you indicate it shuts off as soon as you take it off the dock it seems like a hardware problem on the PB not necessarily the battery Some might suggest the three finger system wipe if you can do it. You say it shuts off immediately when you take it off the dock. I suppose you have tried pressing the power button for twenty seconds to see if you can restart it.

Does the back of the PB feel hot when you take it off the charger? Sounds like you ought to call support. Tell them your PB is having an attack of battery fibrillation and may need a bypass.
    The two batteries can be replaced but you have to take the PB apart and take about everything out before you get to the battery assembly to replace it. Look at iFixit or maybe a You Tube video.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    Last edited by jpash549; 07-29-13 at 01:56 PM.
    07-29-13 01:41 PM
    man with harmonica,

chuck bronson.
    I see it know......

c
    07-29-13 02:00 PM
    Also it might be interesting if you could post a screen shot of the Battery Guru Graph. Might even attract the attention of peter9477.

07-29-13 02:08 PM
    You can try calling Rim support. I think there have been a few posts about replacement batteries and videos/stills show that the battery is easy to access. Just be careful of other cables?

The PB has a one year warranty to the original purchaser. It also has 90 free Tech support. I do not know how Rim deals with "quasi-tech support v. warranty"

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: [email protected] (this route generally does not work and a call is necessary)

(UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    Smartphones BlackBerry Z10 - Tous les T�l�phones Portables BlackBerry - FR - France
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)

BlackBerry� Customer Support Center
    Austria:0800-297-476
    Belgium:800-77-980
    RIM (Brasil Support toll free number): 0800-022-3161
    Bulgaria: 00800-118-1115
    Denmark: 802-50198
    France: 800-914-533
    Germany: 800-181-6530
    Italy: 800-789-272
    Luxembourg: 800-2-2187
    Netherlands: 800-022-7316
    Norway: 00-1-647-426-7058
    Poland: 00-800-112-43-59
    Portugal: 800-827-760
    Russia: 8-800-100-9643
    South Africa: 0800988892
    Spain: 900-866-969
    Sweden: 02-079-4448
    Switzerland: 0-800-802-492
    United Kingdom: 08000962805

Phone-Numbers of BlackBerry PLAYBOOK- Helpdesks...

Germany: 0800 1816530 (Geb�hrenfrei)

North-America: 1 877 255 2377 (Toll Free)

UK: 0808 100 7466 (Toll Free UK only)

Outside UK: +44 1753 558400

Worldwide: 1 519 888 6181

[email protected]

(BTW: Helpdesk for BlackBerry devices -except PlayBook- for Germany:
    0180 3302626)
    07-29-13 03:18 PM
    If your playbook is actually at 4.21 volts it is fully charged no matter what the percentage reported is. If the percentage reported is jumping around does the voltage reported also jump around? At the reported battery voltage the the charge should never be over a trickle of less than a watt. Battery Guru of course can only report data furnished by the PB. If charging on the rapid charging dock is erratic first thing to do is check the charging pins on the dock. But since you indicate it shuts off as soon as you take it off the dock it seems like a hardware problem on the PB not necessarily the battery Some might suggest the three finger system wipe if you can do it. You say it shuts off immediately when you take it off the dock. I suppose you have tried pressing the power button for twenty seconds to see if you can restart it.

Does the back of the PB feel hot when you take it off the charger? Sounds like you ought to call support. Tell them your PB is having an attack of battery fibrillation and may need a bypass.
    The two batteries can be replaced but you have to take the PB apart and take about everything out before you get to the battery assembly to replace it. Look at iFixit or maybe a You Tube video.

Thanks!

Thanks to all.

Yes the voltage and the charge numbers jump around as well.

When I do plug it in it starts up normally (it does not give the 'bell sound' signaling a low battery)

I will try and contact support asap.

What exactly is a three finger wipe?
    07-29-13 07:53 PM
    What exactly is a three finger wipe?
    I assume that's a reboot which is two fingers. Hold the power and volume + until the screen goes blank. The PB will restart on its own.

You could also try a debrick while leaving it plugged in with your rapid charger. That's something RIM will have you do during the troubleshooting process.

It sounds like a bad battery(ies) to me.
    07-29-13 08:12 PM
    I assume that's a reboot which is two fingers. Hold the power and volume + until the screen goes blank. The PB will restart on its own.

You could also try a debrick while leaving it plugged in with your rapid charger. That's something RIM will have you do during the troubleshooting process.

It sounds like a bad battery(ies) to me.
    Guess it used to be that you had to hold all three buttons down to do a hard restart.

Good idea to contact support to see if they can give you any help before doing anything drastic.

Whether replacing battery is relatively easy as F2 suggests or fairly difficult is a matter of opinion. The actual removal of the old battery frame holding the two batteries and associated controller and replacement with a new assembly costing perhaps $60 or $70 is not so hard. It is the disaassembly required to get to that point which is chancy if you don't have technician skills.

07-30-13 11:34 AM