If so, RIM giveth and then quickly taketh away. Think ATT bridge.
    Hmmm ... thou telleth on thyself with that statement.
    07-22-11 12:50 PM
    More like unleashing the power of Android.

You don't realize how ridiculous what you're saying is. You're talking about a tablet that you perceive is far superior to any Android tablet, but you have to download a player that allows you to run apps FROM that other platform.
    Let me know when your Android tablet runs QNX or iOS.
    07-22-11 12:52 PM
    For the sake of rational discourse, why would he want his Android tablet to run QNX?
    07-22-11 12:56 PM
    I say enjoy it while it lasts. RIM will have to patch the backdoor loading in some ways. Otherwise the PB will be using pirated apps just as bad if not worse than the android tablets. It looks like they do have something really cool if they can tie it in better to the OS. I DO like the notifications coming thru natively. that is awesome.
    07-22-11 12:58 PM
    For the sake of rational discourse, why would he want his Android tablet to run QNX?
    Because according to him the Playbook running Android shows the power of Android. I want to see his Android run QNX.

The fact is he can't. The credit here belongs to the PlayBook. I'd like to see any other tablet out there ran another completely different OS inside of an OS. This is just like me running Linux inside of a VM on my Windows workstation.
    KarlosSpicyWienr likes this.
    07-22-11 01:00 PM
    Easy. A customer will go to App World, find an App, buy it and use it. The customer will never know if it is an Android App, an Air App or something else. This is how it should work anyway. Let's see how it works in practice.
    Then security issue is my issue if you can buy android app on app world.
    07-22-11 01:02 PM
    i think RIM is trying a different approach, not competing in the app market as much but rather gathering apps from other markets that have already made their mark. bringing android first and maybe, just maybe an ios player and wphone player which allows RIM to market the PB as a does all device. just putting that out there.
    07-22-11 01:03 PM
    He was making a point by using the other fellow's logic against him or her.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-11 01:09 PM
    That obviously worked for Apple on the Jailbreak and Google on Rooted Android devices......

I say enjoy it while it lasts. RIM will have to patch the backdoor loading in some ways.
    07-22-11 01:13 PM
    Steve Jobs will NEVER allow iOS apps to run on BB hardware till Waterloo changes its symbol to a half eaten fruit.
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    07-22-11 01:14 PM
    That obviously worked for Apple on the Jailbreak and Google on Rooted Android devices......
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the architecture is different, no? I would think RIM could control content quite easily.
    07-22-11 01:18 PM
    More like unleashing the power of Android.

You don't realize how ridiculous what you're saying is.
    The PB is able to execute a fully functional android enviornment like some piddly fart app. Lets see the android OS execute a QNX environment.

The only thing android is remotely useful for is the apps. Period.
    07-22-11 01:18 PM
    No more than it is now. Developers will submit Apps. Rim will review the submissions. Hopefully, no malware gets through. This is a danger on all Platforms.

The sideloading option may or may not remain. You can sideload Playbook Apps today so I am thinking that RIM won't stamp it out with Android Apps either.
    07-22-11 01:21 PM
    i dont need it too...there are no games/apps worth porting over to run on the android
    Tre Lawrence and Kerms like this.
    07-22-11 01:21 PM
    The PB is able to execute a fully functional android enviornment like some piddly fart app.
    It takes a long while to load the Android Player doesn't it . . .
    07-22-11 01:22 PM
    It takes a long while to load the Android Player doesn't it . . .
    A Beta android player
    07-22-11 01:26 PM
    I doubt theres a device on the planet that can be locked down if someone is determined enough to open it back up. A number of companies have tried and failed.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the architecture is different, no? I would think RIM could control content quite easily.
    07-22-11 01:29 PM
    So first, the rallying call was:

"Apps are stupid. We don't need apps."

Now it is:

"Android is ONLY useful for apps. Our platform can run their apps; theirs can't run ours."

Okay...
    Kerms and scorpiodsu like this.
    07-22-11 01:30 PM
    Just like PlayBook and Blackberry apps have to get approved before they make it to AppWorld so will the Android apps - guaranteed.
    07-22-11 01:31 PM
    Pretty weak, I imagine you can only find two or three people that said apps were not needed.

So first, the rallying call was:

"Apps are stupid. We don't need apps."

Now it is:

"Android is ONLY useful for apps. Our platform can run their apps; theirs can't run ours."

Okay...
    07-22-11 01:33 PM
    Easy. A customer will go to App World, find an App, buy it and use it. The customer will never know if it is an Android App, an Air App or something else. This is how it should work anyway. Let's see how it works in practice.
    Yep, We will see. RIM seems really good at practice but not so good when it comes to prime time. Any question they will block everything except what you can buy thru App world and when might they get around to it? Devil is definitely in the details on this one too. Come on RIM let's get this figured out and done quickly. You leaked it, now time to get moving.
    07-22-11 01:34 PM
    Yep, We will see. RIM seems really good at practice but not so good when it comes to prime time. Any question they will block everything except what you can buy thru App world and when might they get around to it? Devil is definitely in the details on this one too. Come on RIM let's get this figured out and done quickly. You leaked it, now time to get moving.
    I can't argue with any of this. RIM has to execute and it does not have a great track record in that department.
    07-22-11 01:36 PM
    Pretty weak, I imagine you can only find two or three people that said apps were not needed.
    Is that a serious challenge? Two or three this hour, maybe?

You must have not seen that refrain too often in your short time on here; I can honestly admit I used to be one of them, way back when.

In all fairness, the loudest have been conspicuously quiet...
    Last edited by trelawrence; 07-22-11 at 01:41 PM.
    07-22-11 01:39 PM
    well shootsscores will tell you 15 times in one hour how you dont need apps but he has finally been banned thankfully so i guess you are right, there might be alot lees people making that argument lol.

Honesty i really want to see more core PB apps. I have a transformer, i want to get a PB too but not if all its going to do is be a repeat of some of the android apps that i have to buy again anyway. I want to see complete MS office suite running on it and great NATIVE apps that actually take advantage of the PBs great hardware features.
    OMGitworks, kirson and Kerms like this.
    07-22-11 01:49 PM
    Native apps are going to take a while. The NDK doesn't get released until Devcon so serious development won't even begin until then (october) so realistically it'll be 2012 before good native apps start to appear. The players (android/bbos) will just provide options until then. Not ideal but better than nothing.

well shootsscores will tell you 15 times in one hour how you dont need apps but he has finally been banned thankfully so i guess you are right, there might be alot lees people making that argument lol.

Honesty i really want to see more core PB apps. I have a transformer, i want to get a PB too but not if all its going to do is be a repeat of some of the android apps that i have to buy again anyway. I want to see complete MS office suite running on it and great NATIVE apps that actually take advantage of the PBs great hardware features.
    07-22-11 02:10 PM
98 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD