I know that many of us have been messing around with this leaked Android Player. What does everyone think?

Overall, I think that it is pretty cool.

First thing is that it is very slow to load. After you load it once, it loads faster but it still does not load very quickly. If you reboot, it will load very slowly again the first time. Once it is loaded, it runs quickly enough. Those apps that work run without any lag.

It is easy to load apps through the Astro program. It is easy to find .apk files to install. Unfortunately, many things don't work at all and many things that load don't work at least in part. I am guessing that RIM is still hard at work tieing the Android layer into the Playbook. Not everything is tied in properly yet so not everything will work correctly or at all.

Some things work just fine. It is nice to have a working Kindle App for example.

Also, there is no integration between QNX OS and the Android Apps. In effect, it seems that you have Android running within the Playbook OS. It all looks very Androidy. Ideally, there would be android application controls within the Playbook 's own drop down U.I., that can be accessed by a bezel swipe down. Ideally, Android Apps would appear on the home screen just like any native app. The Playbook's keyboard does not control Android Apps. I can't imagine that Rim will keep this Andoidy interface.

All the apps run within the Android Player, one at a time. You can't have an Android App appear on your desktop. There is no multitasking that I can figure out how to get working. Instead, an Android Keyboard pops up when you try to enter text. If you browse the folders within the Android App itself there are icons for the Android buttons. My guess is that at some point in the future a bezel gesture will call up those controls.

Also, using this seems to eat up battery life pretty rapidly.

I understand that this is a leak. I would guess that it was intentionally leaked. RIM says that this is an older version but it seems to be dated July 19, 2011. From what I see, there is a ton of work left to be done.

I would like to see: (1) load time improvements, (2) better application support, and (3) integration into Playbook OS.

I am not sure that I will keep this installed simply because I have not really found many Android Apps that I want to use that will work.

It is definitely fun to play around with. I am looking forward to the release, which according to RIM will come before the end of September.
    07-22-11 08:31 AM
    Its a pretty big +1. Knowing that this is early beta form it does need a lot of work because it is pretty buggy. I HATE the keyboard, hope we can use the PB system keyboard in the final release. It's great to have what seems like an unlimited supply of apps.

Sky's the limit with this tab. Can't wait for the official release.
    07-22-11 08:42 AM
    It's a little early to make a judgement based on an early beta but its not bad. Remember that apps are supposed to be repackaged to run in the player so some bugs are to be expected. I'm actually surprised that any apps worked, pleasantly surprised too as it bodes well for sideloading apps in the future that either dont get ported or that RIM dont approve.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-11 08:43 AM
    One thing that surprised me from an integration standpoint is the notifications. If I get an IM while I'm in a different app (Android or PB based), then a notification pops up in the PB notification area, and when I select it, it opens the correct Android application up. That's pretty cool!

Also, GPS information is passed through just fine. Looks like they have GPU, camera, and possibly some sound work to do from the hardware integration side. Really though, it's a damn fine job considering that it's the first time Android has been made a VM for a mobile device.

I agree with your points on battery and load times completely. Understandable now, but something that needs to be shored up before the launch of it. Seems it does go into standby, but I doubt power management was at the top of the development list.
    07-22-11 08:47 AM
    This is a preview of us unleashing our PlayBeast!

Showing the true power of our PlayBook, here at my workplace people are amazed...

If u know what they said to me -before the player was leaked- BlackBerry is dead ... and look 'em staring at the PlayBook now...
    tstrike34 likes this.
    07-22-11 08:50 AM
    One thing that surprised me from an integration standpoint is the notifications. If I get an IM while I'm in a different app (Android or PB based), then a notification pops up in the PB notification area, and when I select it, it opens the correct Android application up. That's pretty cool!
    Yes. This is cool and suggests that RIM will get around to properly integrating everything. My guess is that the end product will be seamless and that the ability to run android apps will not require first opening an "Android Application."
    07-22-11 09:00 AM
    Yes. This is cool and suggests that RIM will get around to properly integrating everything. My guess is that the end product will be seamless and that the ability to run android apps will not require first opening an "Android Application."

Actually, No. Well, sort of. When RIM demoed the App Player (with an obviously newer version that was more integrated) they said that the player would have to launch each time. The difference was that the player was hidden and the android apps had their own icons on the desktop.
    So it will be more seamless but the app player will still launch first (with the same splashscreen according to the demo) then the app will launch.

I think the video is on RIMs youtube channel.
    Last edited by AngusMcTavish; 07-22-11 at 09:13 AM.
    07-22-11 09:05 AM
    Seems to have made many PB users happy and expanded the use of the PB which is a good thing. The PB needed some positive news but I think it may have unintended consequences though.

I think QNX apps will be far & few even after the NDK is released. All a developer would have to do is read this and other boards and see how satisifed people are with Android apps. Why waste resources learning to develop another OS app when you got one that people will be happy with. If RIM get's the player better integrated into the OS where apps appear in the tray I think you're going to see more Android releases than QNX

Will BES admins be able to block the Android Player? If some companies don't allow Android on their network. I'm guessing they would want to block the player also.
    07-22-11 09:10 AM
    Agree with the OP. I've been playing with it...and it's really cool. The fact that GPS Navigation works to a certain degree is impressive...it actually seems to get the GPS up and running faster to aquire a signal. Overall...I'm pretty impressed. It does seem to be a memory hog at this point as well...but again...early build.
    07-22-11 09:11 AM
    While this Android player is cool (even though it is buggy), it confirms why I'm not crazy about Android devices even if the thing was running perfectly on the PlayBook. I hope the final product is completely integrated into the QNX OS and hides the Android OS completely when running Android apps.
    07-22-11 09:17 AM
    Actually, No. Well, sort of. When RIM demoed the App Player (with an obviously newer version that was more integrated) they said that the player would have to launch each time. The difference was that the player was hidden and the android apps had their own icons on the desktop.
    So it will be more seamless but the app player will still launch first (with the same splashscreen according to the demo) then the app will launch.

I think the video is on RIMs youtube channel.
    Thanks. I watched that video. The version is definitely different from the one that we have but in some ways it seems less developed: that version has a back arrow, ours has the back bezel gesture. I would think that the bezel gesture is more recent than the back arrow. So, I think it is hard to draw any conclusions. The good news is that icons will be available on the home screen.
    07-22-11 09:18 AM
    There's no doubt the leaked build is still a work in progress, but it is a pretty great proof of concept. The fact that it works as well as it does at this point is making me super excited for when it's fully baked!
    07-22-11 09:20 AM
    Whi I hope the final product is completely integrated into the QNX OS and hides the Android OS completely when running Android apps.
    Yeah. The "androidy" stuff seems so old fashioned compared to Playbook OS, IMO, of course.
    07-22-11 09:20 AM
    Thanks. I watched that video. The version is definitely different from the one that we have but in some ways it seems less developed: that version has a back arrow, ours has the back bezel gesture. I would think that the bezel gesture is more recent than the back arrow. So, I think it is hard to draw any conclusions. The good news is that icons will be available on the home screen.
    AND the other good news is that we might not just be limited to Apps that get ported officially and approved by RIM, that is exciting to me!.
    07-22-11 09:34 AM
    AND the other good news is that we might not just be limited to Apps that get ported officially and approved by RIM, that is exciting to me!.
    Yes. It seems so. I hope that RIM does not work too hard to stop this from happening.
    tstrike34 likes this.
    07-22-11 09:42 AM
    i think is awesome for the playbook. i wonder how many people regret now selling theirs PB's? or wonder if PB's price will eventually start to rise on craiglist/ebay. what RIM promised is finally coming to fruit OR we getting a glimpse of it. in the end we are seeing how powerful this tablet really is...i told my friend who is a die hard apple fan that im running some android apps on this thing...he didnt believe me. we meeting up for lunch pretty soon here in miami beach and i shall show it to him...
    07-22-11 09:46 AM
    I'm actually surprised that any apps worked, pleasantly surprised too as it bodes well for sideloading apps in the future that either dont get ported or that RIM dont approve.

I really doubt that the ability to load Android apps outside of the Blackberry App Store will make it to the official release. Way too may rogue malware Android apps already floating around in the market, there is very little control over what people can make available for download and installation compared to the iPad or the Playbook...

If RIM allowed unvetted/unapproved Android apps to get installed, they would undermine their entire positioning as a secure enterprise quality device. I bet that more than a few folks at RIM are freaking out right now that folks are side-loading Android apps!
    howarmat likes this.
    07-22-11 10:18 AM
    I don't mean officially. All official apps will have to be ported & submitted to RIM for approval to app world. I'm talking about having the option to get non-ported apps on the device regardless of their appworld status. I'm not a fan of the walled garden approach & as I paid for the device I'll install what I want without permission. I'm just glad that it seems some apps don't have to be re-packaged to work, so future sideloading looks promising.

I really doubt that the ability to load Android apps outside of the Blackberry App Store will make it to the official release. Way too may rogue malware Android apps already floating around in the market, there is very little control over what people can make available for download and installation compared to the iPad or the Playbook...

If RIM allowed unvetted/unapproved Android apps to get installed, they would undermine their entire positioning as a secure enterprise quality device. I bet that more than a few folks at RIM are freaking out right now that folks are side-loading Android apps!
    Last edited by AngusMcTavish; 07-22-11 at 10:23 AM.
    07-22-11 10:20 AM
    I don't mean officially. All official apps will have to be ported & submitted to RIM for approval to app world. I'm talking about having the option to get non-ported apps on the device regardless of their appworld status. I'm not a fan of the walled garden approach & as I paid for the device I'll install what I want without permission. I'm just glad that it seems some apps don't have to be re-packaged to work, so future sideloading looks promising.

Companies make these device wall garden for a reason but it would be surprising if RIM doesn't take the ability out to side load Android apps. I'm sure some companies will implement a BES policy but also does RIM get any money from apps purchased in App World? If so what's to stop a developer from signing his own apks and letting you download them from his website and keeping all the profits..
    07-22-11 10:28 AM
    I don't think RIM will have much of a say in the matter. Just like iOS gets jailbroken & android gets rooted.

Companies make these device wall garden for a reason but it would be surprising if RIM doesn't take the ability out to side load Android apps. I'm sure some companies will implement a BES policy but also does RIM get any money from apps purchased in App World? If so what's to stop a developer from signing his own apks and letting you download them from his website and keeping all the profits..
    07-22-11 10:30 AM
    That's true but they can make it hard. I was just saying that devices are walled gardened for a reason.
    07-22-11 10:34 AM
    Based on the video posted, works like Android. Might as well buy and Android device, as I would be very annoyed with the tablet behavior changes moving back and forth between Android apps in the player, and normal Playbook and its applications behaviors. Its little things like this that make or break a users satisfaction with his experience with software. That is why the Mac is a success with everyday folks compared to MS and other OS systems. All the software controls always works the same from software package to package. That said I am not a Mac fan, never liked many of the things it does. When building informatics solutions in my industry, I spend a lot of time trying to get the developers to make things intuitive and consistant to the end user. Abrupt changes in behavior when a user is using a software package or OS causes annoyance, momentary confusion, annd general disatisfaction with the experience.

As a first pass, with a player like this, users like myself that prefer the Playbook interface will probably not purchase many Android apps unless there is no other choice to fulfill a particular need. Native application will win my money everytime. If I have to run Android apps, I will move from my original Nook to a Nook Color! Would be cheaper, and less frustrating experience when the device always behaves the same way. Just my two cents.
    07-22-11 10:37 AM
    This is a preview of us unleashing our PlayBeast!

Showing the true power of our PlayBook, here at my workplace people are amazed...

If u know what they said to me -before the player was leaked- BlackBerry is dead ... and look 'em staring at the PlayBook now...
    More like unleashing the power of Android.

You don't realize how ridiculous what you're saying is. You're talking about a tablet that you perceive is far superior to any Android tablet, but you have to download a player that allows you to run apps FROM that other platform. The Playbookis so deficient in app support that you cannot even play a game so ubiquitous as "Angry Birds" without pilfering it from the Android market.
    07-22-11 10:39 AM
    so we all happy now because we got android apps?
    what if we get ios player? would we be happier?
    rim is admitting defeat. if android apps can be played in an emulator/player then why would they develop qnx-based applications?
    07-22-11 10:39 AM
    Its about options isn't it? Yes, its app deficient but it also lacks an NDK. I'm not saying that the ndk will suddenly unleash 200k apps but its yet another option. What is the harm in having options?

More like unleashing the power of Android.

You don't realize how ridiculous what you're saying is. You're talking about a tablet that you perceive is far superior to any Android tablet, but you have to download a player that allows you to run apps FROM that other platform. The Playbookis so deficient in app support that you cannot even play a game so ubiquitous as "Angry Birds" without pilfering it from the Android market.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    07-22-11 10:42 AM
98 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD