Hello All, my question is how can i install android on my playbook? like remove QNX and install android from scratch, make it an android tablet?
    10-11-11 02:32 PM
    Sorry, it's a no-go-cant-do .
    10-11-11 02:42 PM
    Sell it and buy an android tablet...there are tons to choose from.
    howarmat, tvasile and batboris like this.
    10-11-11 02:44 PM
    why not? If i can port android to touchpad, to my laptop and desktop, to my usb key to run as a stand alone OS, then why not on playbook ? if i can wipe the QNX from playbook, i have bare bones hardware, and Now all i need is my choice of OS to install?

i am thinking of using novaterm but highly doubt it will work with playbook
    10-11-11 02:47 PM
    Sell it and buy an android tablet...there are tons to choose from.
    Ordering IBM ideapad, and looking for reasonable price touchpad, but thats not the point, i want to play rough with playbook
    10-11-11 02:48 PM
    why not? If i can port android to touchpad, to my laptop and desktop, to my usb key to run as a stand alone OS, then why not on playbook ? if i can wipe the QNX from playbook, i have bare bones hardware, and Now all i need is my choice of OS to install?
    You ported Android to Touchpad? Please it share with us then If you have the technical knowledge to port Android to Touchpad then why dont you try porting it to Playbook?
    anon(4018671) and Kerms like this.
    10-11-11 02:50 PM
    Has the PB even been rooted yet? That would be the first step, no?

Not to mention, I've yet to see a full/complete port of Android to the TouchPad...they're getting closer, but it's not quite there yet.

Along those lines, you'd need a team of programmers/hackers to help get things setup correctly...and I haven't seen anyone in THIS community claim to be taking on that task, yet.
    10-11-11 02:52 PM

i am thinking of using novaterm but highly doubt it will work with playbook
    If you can do all of that, why are you asking US how to do it. Just do it, it sounds like you've got it all figured out. Android will just morph itself to the hardware its put on, right? It's not like it has to be tweaked by the hardware manufacturers...
    10-11-11 02:53 PM
    Not to mention, I've yet to see a full/complete port of Android to the TouchPad...they're getting closer, but it's not quite there yet.
    hehe HP has even shipped Android on the Touchpad lol
    HP Staunchly Denies Shipment of HP TouchPad with Android 2.2

true??? IDK
    10-11-11 02:56 PM
    You ported Android to Touchpad? Please it share with us then If you have the technical knowledge to port Android to Touchpad then why dont you try porting it to Playbook?
    You got that right. My TouchPad is sitting on my nite stand with maybe 3hrs worth of use and most of that's from my son using it waiting for the CM port of Android.
    10-11-11 03:25 PM
    You got that right. My TouchPad is sitting on my nite stand with maybe 3hrs worth of use and most of that's from my son using it waiting for the CM port of Android.
    Ive got 3 Touchpads waiting CM v7.1 coming in the new few weeks so they say, looking forward to that for sure.
    10-11-11 03:33 PM
    Im no expert on porting OS's but wouldnt you need to get into the playbooks bootloader to make it load the new files first? Pretty sure that being secure was part of the whole certification thing they went through to keep government types who may use it happy?

Not only that you then need drivers for the hardware, altho with the kindle fire running some android variant they might be available already (except for the cameras and whatnot?)

Long story short, dont think its going to be doable, not yet anyways, if ever
    10-11-11 04:37 PM
    Im no expert on porting OS's but wouldnt you need to get into the playbooks bootloader to make it load the new files first? Pretty sure that being secure was part of the whole certification thing they went through to keep government types who may use it happy?

Not only that you then need drivers for the hardware, altho with the kindle fire running some android variant they might be available already (except for the cameras and whatnot?)

Long story short, dont think its going to be doable, not yet anyways, if ever
    im no expert either but if they unlocked the bootloader(if that is even the correct terminology for this platform) the playbook would instantly become one of the hottest tablets on the market right now. the hardware is excellent for the $250 pricepoint that i picked it up for.

i was second guessing myself and went to bestbuy on my 13th buyers remorse day and ran a final comparison on a pb and a flyer which were right next to each other. the pb smoked the flyer on all webpages that i loaded up and pich to zoom on the pb was waaayy smoother. granted the flyer is single core but running at 1.5ghz but it wasn't even close. i like qnx and my pb as is and eagerly await the 2.0 update. if you want a smooth android tablet experience at the moment you will have to spend some money because their lower priced tablets right now are a letdown.

just wish there were more apps, **** give me a good fart app even.
    10-11-11 07:25 PM
    im no expert either but if they unlocked the bootloader(if that is even the correct terminology for this platform) the playbook would instantly become one of the hottest tablets on the market right now. the hardware is excellent for the $250 pricepoint that i picked it up for.

i was second guessing myself and went to bestbuy on my 13th buyers remorse day and ran a final comparison on a pb and a flyer which were right next to each other. the pb smoked the flyer on all webpages that i loaded up and pich to zoom on the pb was waaayy smoother. granted the flyer is single core but running at 1.5ghz but it wasn't even close. i like qnx and my pb as is and eagerly await the 2.0 update. if you want a smooth android tablet experience at the moment you will have to spend some money because their lower priced tablets right now are a letdown.

just wish there were more apps, **** give me a good fart app even.
    Easy, eat some beans and record yourself ripping away!

As for android on the playbook if I wanted android that's what I would've bought. But good luck in trying.
    10-11-11 07:36 PM
    Never going to happen. The PlayBook has a locked bootloader, so it won't boot anything that hasn't been RIM approved (signed). This is by design, if the bootloader wasn't locked it'd be trivial to install a modified QNX with a backdoor, and that would defeat the security.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-11-11 07:38 PM
    Why would you want android OS on a playbook in the first place? I mean my Bugless QNX powered machine is perfect as it is.....no Drama whatsoever.....I just need OS2 and BBM cause the appworld is already looking good!!!!
    10-11-11 08:42 PM
    thanks for all the feed back

HP touchpad to Android, i am not doing it myself, i just followed some good articles

Download And Install Android 2.3.5 Gingerbread On HP TouchPad Now [How-To Tutorial With Video] | Redmond Pie

I just love porting OS and rooting devices. this is not for normal or average user, i dont care about apps, its just the thrill of doing something extra

so let me rephrase my question, how can I root or format my playbook so that I can access boot loader and install Android or perhapds windows8?

I have tried different way to connect via USB but no luck, thinking about JTag, those who know what JTag is understand what I want to do, maybe this weekend I will pry open playbook and look under the hood
    10-12-11 09:58 AM
    Sorry, it's a no-go-cant-do .
    I am going to go ahead and call BS on your post. Look what happened when they put a BOUNTY of $1500 out to the first to crack the HP Touchpad.

Now the Touchpad can take android.

And you cannot state it is because the CPU either. My new Droid Bionic has the same CPU (OMAP4) and specs as the PB and runs android better than any tablet or phone I have used to this date.

In fact we make jokes about the fact that I have a PB phone with android. At least my phone has useful apps.

I switched to an android phone because frankly RIM are a bunch of LIARS! But I did keep the playbook still. It is sitting in a cabinet (for over 2 months now) waiting to be charged someday when RIM releases enough software to make the PB useful beyond web surfing. I sold my Android Tablet (ASUS Transformer) seeing my new phone is faster and better in every way except screen size.

Oh did I mention that when I plug my phone into my HDTV, I get a full ubuntu linux desktop and functionality.... Had to hack it in but my phone has LINUX! Even got FULL Minecraft and JAVA to launch on it.

Big question is, did RIM wait too long? There is A LOT of catching up to do. Especially with the new iPhone's AI voice recognition. I even spent time playing with the new BB phones at Verizon. They suck. No dual core. Nothing to stand out.

Someone offer a bounty and the PB will have android.

Oh this was sent from my Windows 8 notebook. Yes windows 8. It runs really good, but the new start menu/panel is a pain in my arse.
    10-12-11 10:21 AM
    I am going to go ahead and call BS on your post. Look what happened when they put a BOUNTY of $1500 out to the first to crack the HP Touchpad.

And you cannot state it is because the CPU either. My new Droid Bionic has the same CPU (OMAP4) and specs as the PB and runs android better than any tablet or phone I have used to this date.

In fact we make jokes about the fact that I have a PB phone with android. At least my phone has useful apps.

I switched to an android phone because frankly RIM are a bunch of LIARS! But I did keep the playbook still. It is sitting in a cabinet (for over 2 months now) waiting to be charged someday when RIM releases enough software to make the PB useful beyond web surfing. I sold my Android Tablet (ASUS Transformer) seeing my new phone is faster and better in every way except screen size.

Oh did I mention that when I plug my phone into my HDTV, I get a full ubuntu linux desktop and functionality.... Had to hack it in but my phone has LINUX! Even got FULL Minecraft and JAVA to launch on it.

Big question is, did RIM wait too long? There is A LOT of catching up to do. Especially with the new iPhone's AI voice recognition. I even spent time playing with the new BB phones at Verizon. They suck. No dual core. Nothing to stand out.

Oh this was sent from my Windows 8 notebook. Yes windows 8. It runs really good, but the new start menu/panel is a pain in my arse.
    windows 8 rocks, running on my 4 years old laptop and no performance issues
    10-12-11 11:01 AM

Can we please get serious about this?? I'm willing to put forward $50 for this cause, if 29 other people match my offer we'd have $1500 to have as a bounty for the first person to crack the Playbook. Come on guys the Playbook OS may be taking forever but we know for a fact that Android has everything we need RIGHT NOW!
    10-26-11 12:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD