Do you have a Playbook File Browser? You could create it with one of those too.
    07-27-11 01:30 PM
    I'm not seeing the Android Market App/Icon??? Help!
    07-27-11 01:46 PM
    Hi HaTaX firstly well done on getting this running. It seems the only way i can get apps to install is with a reset if the playbook then i go back into market and i get a notification that the app installed on the playbook homescreen. Not too bothered about that. i cannot seem to bring up the app list in marketplace, game list works just fine but selecting apps it just says loading and hangs. Is there a workaround to stop this? Cheers, Steve
    07-27-11 01:57 PM
    Forget that help request...sorted it out...
    07-27-11 01:59 PM

email installed fine (notifications work)

but the aps just hang

I can see all the aps in the list.

I can't install squat.

Just hangs. Ideas ?

I do have the folder "misc/android/download"
    Last edited by molson0; 07-27-11 at 02:06 PM.
    07-27-11 01:59 PM
    molson0 try a hard reset of your playbook then go back into marketplace, i did that after tryingto download and i had notifications they had installed.
    07-27-11 02:07 PM
    Thank you.

But I still suk.

No joy.

After reboot I get 1 step further although.....

But it still just sits here. I NEVER see any movement in the progress bar
    Last edited by molson0; 07-27-11 at 02:17 PM.
    07-27-11 02:14 PM
    I'm having the same problem, what I download just says starting download... and doesnt do anything, I tried a hard reset as well and I have all necessary folders.
    07-27-11 02:16 PM
    I can see all the aps in the list.

I can't install squat.

Just hangs. Ideas ?

I do have the folder "misc/android/download"
    Is this a fresh install of the Android Player?

Remember people, it's clearly posted in my instructions that a known issue is with downloads hanging up. I'll address it in the future, but right now the actual downloading of the apps is handed off from the Marketplace app to a different back end google service. If you look around on the web, the stalled downloads isn't just a PB problem, lots of devices encounter this with all kinds of different methods to fix it.

It takes time to dig through decompiled code and follow along with whats happening and what functions are called. If anyone wants to take a crack at it, by all means tear into it.
    07-27-11 02:17 PM
    i did everything...and my downloads still dont start. i even did a hard reset and no luck. when i try to create the folder for "download" windows tells me folder already exists and if i want to merge or cancel. i think this is why i cant get it to work
    07-27-11 02:18 PM
    I credited you in a post that I made. Someone else did too.

All credit and thanks to you!
    I get it, and there's no animosity towards you for it. Just is kind of an recurring thing for me and it's gotten old. Actually this is now the 3rd time I've done reverse engineering work and seen it posted on Engadget with no mention of me.

Probably need to stop posting things in progress and just present a finished package.
    OniBerry likes this.
    07-27-11 02:19 PM
    Is this a fresh install of the Android Player?

Remember people, it's clearly posted in my instructions that a known issue is with downloads hanging up. I'll address it in the future, but right now the actual downloading of the apps is handed off from the Marketplace app to a different back end google service. If you look around on the web, the stalled downloads isn't just a PB problem, lots of devices encounter this with all kinds of different methods to fix it.

It takes time to dig through decompiled code and follow along with whats happening and what functions are called. If anyone wants to take a crack at it, by all means tear into it.

Yes I reinstalled it this afternoon, after reading your instructions.

I know how hard it is to reverse the code dude, I rip apart code in IDA for fun on a daily basis.

I will try to start over again tonight......

Thanks for your post , the community should be more than thankfull to you.
    07-27-11 02:22 PM
    Yes I reinstalled it this afternoon, after reading your instructions.

I know how hard it is to reverse the code dude, I rip apart code in IDA for fun on a daily basis.

I will try to start over again tonight......

Thanks for your post , the community should be more than thankfull to you.
    Great! For taking apart marketplace you need baksmali/smali to get the machine level java code out of it. Then signapk with the correct keys (I can provide those), to sign the recompiled code back up. I can get you all setup with what you need if you feel like tearing into it at all.

Wish I could use IDA for it, makes projects a lot more manageable. With this I'm just left with pages of Java byte code to sift through, no flowcharts or anything. I do use IDA quite a bit when working with embedded systems, and love it. (Navigation systems, etc) Good times, looking for that one byte that needs to be changed...

And really, I'm not looking for thanks, I do this as a hobby. It was just the engadget story that bummed me out. I got a call from 2-3 buddies this afternoon that they saw someone had "beat me to it" with the Marketplace and the story was on Engadget. That kinda set me off... lol

Also, FWIW the downloading issue is kinda sporadic. I've had a hard time nailing down what causes it because the downloading is performed back end process that's floating out there.
    Last edited by HaTaX; 07-27-11 at 02:49 PM.
    molson0 likes this.
    07-27-11 02:38 PM
    when i go into android player and go to "download" from home view...i see what im trying to download from market...but they say "Failed"
    07-27-11 02:43 PM
    Great! For taking apart marketplace you need baksmali/smali to get the machine level java code out of it. Then signapk with the correct keys (I can provide those), to sign the recompiled code back up. I can get you all setup with what you need if you feel like tearing into it at all.
    I will do so tonight. NOT because I think you left anything out, but for a learning experience..

Ever play around with smart cards ??? LOL

when i go into android player and go to "download" from home view...i see what im trying to download from market...but they say "Failed"
    I Have "No downloads" text in this folder....LOL
    Last edited by molson0; 07-27-11 at 03:02 PM.
    HaTaX likes this.
    07-27-11 02:51 PM
    Ever play around with smart cards ??? LOL
    Actually I have quite a bit of experience with them, prox or cac? (Contactless?)
    07-27-11 03:00 PM
    Do you have any idea what the issue is with some Apps like Angry birds that shut down immediately? I suspect that it is a resolution issue or something like it.
    Most likely due to the fact that there is no 3D / OpenGL acceleration in there, it's just using the stock Android software renderer. We'll need an updated player with graphics drivers to get apps that need hardware 3D support working, that's no small task and could be a good ways out. Honestly, I'd think we'll see the NDK before the issues with 3D acceleration through a VM on a tablet are worked out. Heck, VMWare just got 3D passthrough somewhat recently and they're experts on the subject. Granted, desktops are more complex, but the tablet VM world is pretty much uncharted.
    07-27-11 03:06 PM
    haTax, awesome work.

I have everything installed but my network connection is very poor so will be setting up the account tonight. Very excited to see this in action.

On a tangent, has anyone noticed the Android player will crash if it does not have a network connection?
    HaTaX likes this.
    07-27-11 03:32 PM
    Actually I have quite a bit of experience with them, prox or cac? (Contactless?)

ST (xx)

07-27-11 03:41 PM
    Hmmm, if that's what I think it is, I got out of that business a while ago. It's like a cat and mouse game with them.

Trick with them is you need the proper device to pull a full dump of it, and about 10 (concurrent numbered if possible) cards to get what you need. Not fun times. lol
    07-27-11 03:51 PM
    hehe.

Anyway, it seems my problem was network related .

I got home, tried to download and it worked.

Thanks for the how-to.

Now i am gonna mess with some ap d'asm's

Thanks again.!!
    Last edited by molson0; 07-27-11 at 09:52 PM.
    07-27-11 05:34 PM
    Awesome work HaTaX.

Just a quick fyi, I actually had category view working up until a short while ago. I basically followed all your steps EXCEPT installing the youtube apk. Without it, the category lists would load just fine. Then I went back and installed youtube, and they dont work anymore. No amount of uninstalling or reinstalling either/both seemed to get me back to that state however...
    07-27-11 07:31 PM
    Nothing would download at first but working perfectly after hard reset. Tried last.fm now works flawlessly unlike before, tried bbc news app it required flash so installed and works! Firefox and angry birds rio are no go

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I have tried the hard reset, pressing the vol up and down and power at the same time, after the PB boots up I reopen the App player but nothing still. At least now I get what appears to be a download process bar but nothing happens and when I cancel the download I get a notificacion on the PB left hand corner.

Could you ilustrate the process for hard reset you are using and if you were able to create the "download" folder in misc
    07-27-11 07:42 PM
    I go to the misc/android, then when I try to create the "download" file I receieve a message saying that the file already exists, although no file appears, then it asks if I will like to replace it with the one being created, I click yes but then no file shows up.

Could the file be called "downloads" or "Download"
    07-27-11 08:14 PM
    Finally the files are showing on the Downloads app on Android player. They show as "Failed", when I select the app it asks if I will like to retry or delete. I hit retry it shows in process but then goes back to fail.

Can anyone explain why this is happening and ways to solve it.
    07-27-11 09:04 PM
285 ... 45678 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD