Since the leak has been causing a stir in the tech community, maybe RIM will see this as a chance to release an official version of the player in an update? I downloaded the leak, but am a little hesitant to install it on my PB until there's more feedback.

I would love to start using Android apps though, and if they don't release it before the 9930 comes out I will be forced to side load the leak since I will not be using an Android phone anymore.
    07-21-11 05:48 PM
    I'm not really waiting for the android player myself but I like the excitement it seems to have generated.
    07-21-11 05:53 PM
    Regardless of how well this was received, there's no way RIM is able to bring an app as complex as this from beta to full release candidate in such short a time. It's worth installing now, but I imagine in not too long it will be completely ready to do (I'd estimate 3-5 weeks, but that's not based on much).
    07-21-11 05:54 PM
    This was an old build when it was leaked, so it's not really an indication of anything.
    Philldoe and peter9477 like this.
    07-21-11 05:55 PM
    This was an old build when it was leaked, so it's not really an indication of anything.
    Not sure where they found the info, but some ppl said it was a july 19 build.
    Philldoe likes this.
    07-21-11 06:36 PM
    Official rim statement says it's old
    07-21-11 07:15 PM
    Official rim statement says it's old
    Oh well if they claim that's the case, it MUST be old. No way that RIM would take way longer than projected to produce a substandard product and then lie about it.
    07-21-11 07:30 PM
    Ok, much better to believe.... wait, what was the contrary argument based on?

RIM wasn't the only source that said it was an old build, as this was said before the official statement. So continue with your tinfoil hat wearing...
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    07-21-11 07:38 PM
    wait for at least 60 days. two weeks is way too optimistic.
    07-21-11 07:53 PM

RIM wasn't the only source that said it was an old build, as this was said before the official statement. So continue with your tinfoil hat wearing...
    Papped. You have a lot of nerve coming to this forum with facts. Even though others have confirmed the same. How dare you! You should know that only brings discontent. Funny how from your first post at 6:55 (NY time) to the other post at 8:15, some choose not to try to Google themselves some information. About an hour and twenty minutes to come back with what was still said. A bunch of smack about an early beta build that really shouldnt be on any PlayBook currently. hmpf.

Android App Player for BlackBerry PlayBook Leaked � N4BB – News for BlackBerry – leaks, rumors, videos, faqs, reviews

Early PlayBook Android Player Leaked Out By RIM - BerryReview
    07-21-11 08:03 PM
    Yeah... I should have just assumed it was conspiracy by RIM and not questioned... For shame...
    07-21-11 08:23 PM
    The version information within the android app itself says July 19, 2011.

From what I have seen there is lots more work to make this something that anyone would want to use on a regular basis. I would say three more months but I am not a programmer.
    07-21-11 08:26 PM
    Regardless of how old or new this build is...

RIM better use the feedback from the CB forum to 'fix up' the Android player.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-21-11 08:32 PM

Oh PuhLEEZZZE.

You finally get a leak that will let you run android phone apps on your playbook and your so excited you probably chit yourself.

And you think someone ELSE has a tinfoil hat? ROFLLLLLL
    07-21-11 08:32 PM
    The version information within the android app itself says July 19, 2011.
    +1. Yep. No one is disputing that. But as you well know, this could be from someone adding or changing anything in the code 2 days ago. There are several builds/versions in house being worked on for different aspects of the code. This is evident from the official RIM statement. A programmer could have easily been adding something as simple as a decimal point and changed the production date. This is done all the time with OS's, native apps, and third party apps. IMO, it is also probably why the link for it was inadvertently put up. Because someone was mucking around in the waters.

From what I have seen there is lots more work to make this something that anyone would want to use on a regular basis. I would say three more months but I am not a programmer.
    +1. I totally agree! I also am not a programmer, but I knew from the early reports that it wasn't going to be pretty. So, I didnt even bother with it. I refuse to hurt or force my PlayBook into something it is not ready for, or the product is not ready for it. This is clearly an early beta build and should not even be loaded. It is not ready. (at least this build).
    tprime likes this.
    07-21-11 08:49 PM
    Where is this official RIM statement that this is an old build?
    07-21-11 09:08 PM
    Where is this official RIM statement that this is an old build?
    Check the CB front page blogs...

"An older version of the Android App Player beta software for the BlackBerry PlayBook was inadvertently posted and has since been removed. We recommend that users refrain from downloading and installing this software since it is outdated and non-functional in many respects. The official beta release of the Android App Player for the BlackBerry PlayBook is on track for release later this summer."
    Official statement from Research In Motion regarding the leaked Android App Player for the BlackBerry PlayBook | CrackBerry.com
    07-21-11 09:13 PM
    If this is an early it has probably been tested within RIM. i think it's harmless. What is exciting is how simple the process is to run an android apps on the playbook. Seems a whole world of apps is right around the corner.
    07-21-11 09:25 PM
    I feel like I want to believe RIM about this being an older version (older could mean that there is now a July 20 version - it doesn't say how old) but I am having some trouble doing that.

Still, I basicially like what I see even if I can't get much to work at all and not much really works well. It obviously needs to load faster. It needs to work with more apps. It needs to work more consistently with the Apps that do work. It needs to be better integrated with QNX. I wish that there was a way for App icons to appear on Playbook's home screen.

So, it is a work in progress but a nice thing to play with.

The good news is that a summer release was confirmed so my guess is sometime in September. That's not too far away.
    07-22-11 06:32 AM
    A little off topic, but with the ability to sideload android apps, does that mean a lot of android developers are not getting paid? Not judging, just curious.
    07-22-11 06:50 AM
    'Research: In motion, later this summer.'
    07-22-11 07:03 AM
    Maybe this was a "special" version designed on 7/19 to be "leaked" on 7/20.
    07-22-11 07:40 AM
    wait for at least 60 days. two weeks is way too optimistic.
    60 dog days, RIM days or calendar days?
    07-22-11 08:08 AM
    im a little confused here. all the videos online suggested the android player was almost like a "plug in" that would allow android apps in app world to be used on the playbook.

this leak seems to be a full android emulator. i mean people are treating the player as a full android device. hitting the android player icon seems to launch a full android gingerbread system.

i thought the android apps were going to install on the home screen and launch like regular playbook apps and this "player" was gonna run them. i didnt think i was gonna have a full blown second os on my device.
    07-22-11 08:29 AM
    im a little confused here. all the videos online suggested the android player was almost like a "plug in" that would allow android apps in app world to be used on the playbook.

this leak seems to be a full android emulator. i mean people are treating the player as a full android device. hitting the android player icon seems to launch a full android gingerbread system.

i thought the android apps were going to install on the home screen and launch like regular playbook apps and this "player" was gonna run them. i didnt think i was gonna have a full blown second os on my device.
    My guess is that it will not remain like it is. I bet that a set of Android controls will be present and accessible from a top down bezel swipe like other Playbook controls and that Apps will install on the Playbook's destop.

This seems like an early build. I hope it is at least.
    07-22-11 08:33 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD