So I'm assuming that the android apps will run in some sort of software "emulation" mode.

Does this imply that they will, then, be somewhat slow on the Playbook?

Hmmmm.... perhaps I'm asking too early, eh?

Thanks for any answers
    04-12-11 06:13 AM
    Android apps have to be submitted to RIM for download from Appworld. Android apps run in a VM in Android devices too (Delvik I think is the name of the VM), so I think they will run just fine in a VM built for them on the Playbook.
    slbailey1 likes this.
    04-12-11 06:18 AM
    think of it this way, you will have a dual core platform running a single core app, so one core to run the app one to run the VM, if android phones a single core 1Ghz and less can run their entire OS and an app then im sure the playbook will take it easily in its stride.
    04-12-11 06:22 AM
    What if they function better?
    04-12-11 06:25 AM
    It's worth noting that the majority of android apps don't take the entire resources of even last years android phones to run. They still have enough processor overhead and RAM to run the toughest games as well as their other internal stuff, music, email, whatever.

So on the PB, thats no big deal at all. You've seen the multitasking stuff, where it has a game, TWO 1080p mkvs and other stuff all running together right ? And all running on one screen ? And the same in presenter mode ?

Basically, no single program currently available can make the PB break a sweat.
    04-12-11 07:48 AM
    Yeah, I'm not sure why someone would assume that an "emulated" app is going to run more slowly.
    04-12-11 07:52 AM
    The true answer is it's too soon to ask. BUT we hope and expect that it will not be an issue.
    04-12-11 08:21 AM
    The true answer is it's too soon to ask. BUT we hope and expect that it will not be an issue.
    That's exactly right... too soon to ask.

I did ask, however, at the Toronto Dev Day. The answer was that they say they have the option of either requiring recompilation or just repackaging. They didn't know which they would do, so the point is that depending on the approach they choose, it may or may not impact performance, make it easier or less easy on the developer, and so on. They will certainly be comparing many different factors and making tradeoffs based on their judgement about what works best overall, given their market goals etc.

In conclusion... too soon to ask.
    04-12-11 04:26 PM
    Android is already a VM on Android devices. Android is the Dalvik Java VM running on a modified Linux kernel. In BlackBerry Tablet OS, it will be a Java VM running on the QNX RTOS kernel.

Why would that be any slower?
    04-13-11 12:18 AM
    Android is already a VM on Android devices. Android is the Dalvik Java VM running on a modified Linux kernel. In BlackBerry Tablet OS, it will be a Java VM running on the QNX RTOS kernel.

Why would that be any slower?
    Agreed. Java is compiled at runtime, so It should be similar.
    04-13-11 12:20 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD