Hi guys. I just got a PlayBook from pc world, and I'm very happy with most of it. But there is one considerable issue.

I downloaded a remote desktop application that was an android application, and it was incredibly slow. So I downloaded a speedtest application that was also an android application, only to discover that the download speed was a pathetic 0.2Mbps/200Kbps, but 1.2Mbps upload (my Internet connection is presently 100Mbit down 5Mbit up.

So I'm wondering if there is some kind of problem with this software version of the Android player, or if this is likely to be a permanent issue.
    09-03-12 08:40 AM
    Welcome to the forums.

Give it a good boot (either torn off and then back on or hold vol+, power button, vol- till you see it restart).

See if it is any better after the boot.

I had google maps here and still have Kindle. Both worked fast enough. For remodel desktop apps, I'd go with Slashtop, I use it and it works quite well (and it is native).
    Last edited by diegonei; 09-03-12 at 11:32 AM.
    09-03-12 10:06 AM
    Why are you assuming it's the android player rather than the app you're using? FWIW, with the only RDP android app I've got, I'm getting transfer speeds of around 700 kBps (or 5.6 mbps)
    09-03-12 10:59 AM
    Why are you assuming it's the android player rather than the app you're using? FWIW, with the only RDP android app I've got, I'm getting transfer speeds of around 700 kBps (or 5.6 mbps)
    I think it's the Android Player, I too have noticed a strange connection lag for ALL Android apps. Try the same app on an actual Android device and the app connects instantly. The connection speed is good and seems to be the full speed, but there are responsiveness issues that RIM should try to sort out.
    09-03-12 08:09 PM
    Welcome to the forums.

Give it a good boot (either torn off and then back on or hold vol+, power button, vol- till you see it restart).

See if it is any better after the boot.

I had google maps here and still have Kindle. Both worked fast enough. For remodel desktop apps, I'd go with Slashtop, I use it and it works quite well (and it is native).
    Tried a restart, no effect. Will give slashtop a go.

I'm certain its the player, since every android application that I've tried (all downloaded from the bb appworld), has the same issue.

I think it's the Android Player, I too have noticed a strange connection lag for ALL Android apps. Try the same app on an actual Android device and the app connects instantly. The connection speed is good and seems to be the full speed, but there are responsiveness issues that RIM should try to sort out.
    I've never had any such troubles with my xperia play, which is by all accounts, considerably slower in every department, yet manages significantly higher network speeds. Including the app in question, downloaded from the play store instead.

EDIT:Just tried 2xclient, and it is better, but still slower than my much slower android. This might make it bearable lol.

I do still believe that there is a considerable network issue at play, since I also tried a couple of ftp/samba clients and they were also very slow.
    Last edited by kernel fergus; 09-04-12 at 07:49 AM.
    09-04-12 07:43 AM
    My ghost commander app transfers files at considerably slower speeds on local networks (windows share) than when remoting into the windows machine and copy/pasting that way. Its like 150kbps to 1135kbps difference. Huge.
    02-22-13 11:09 AM
    The lag on android you experience is normal on the PB. Android apps simply do not run nearly as well on the PB and they do on android devices. As far as I know, there is nothing much you can do about it except avoid android ups or settle for poor performance. Someone else may have an idea, but disregard people who claim their android apps run like greased lightning on their PBs.
    02-22-13 11:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD