I believe this is likely to happen...the PB is not selling well and next quarter's sales figures will be even lower. I predict PB will be discontinued by YE.

Analyst: RIM's PlayBook to go the way of HP's TouchPad - Apple 2.0 - Fortune Tech
    So, what your saying is you believe RIM is holding a DevCon conference with many of its courses about Android application development for TabletOS, which will target the playbook. And there spending time on v2.0 for the playbook...

All this so it can be discontinued at the end of the year?
    09-16-11 01:47 PM
    Its funny, you say that like they burn thru half their cash every quarter. If that seems normal to you I suppose that's okay.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    They did acquire companies during Q2 also. I am sure no one buys out a company without spending cash for it.
    09-16-11 01:49 PM
    Agreed, I have or have had pretty much every phone they've made & I have absolutely no desire to buy any of these oS7 devices knowing they're already obsolete. I'm waiting for qnx, hopefully later this year, which will really **** off the OS7 buyers.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Please provide proof that RIM will completely stop supporting and producing OS 7 devices as soon as the first QNX device hits shelves.

Using your definition of obsolete - why did you buy an ipad 2? It will just be obsolete once the ipad 3 comes out. same thing.
    09-16-11 01:53 PM
    It has nothing to do with that, spec wise they're ok. It's the fact that RIM have said they're a stopgap until QNX, which is only a matter of months away. Why buy something for $600 (on t-mobile anyway) that has already been dismissed?
    Where did they ever say OS was a stop gap?

Unless they release a QNX with a hard qwerty - I will take OS 7 from here on out.
    09-16-11 01:55 PM
    Umm, I didn't buy an iPad2. However, users of the iPad1 are still supported on the same OS as the iPad2. The same won't be true of OS7 devices when QNX is released. Where do you think developers will devote their time?

Please provide proof that RIM will completely stop supporting and producing OS 7 devices as soon as the first QNX device hits shelves.

Using your definition of obsolete - why did you buy an ipad 2? It will just be obsolete once the ipad 3 comes out. same thing.
    09-16-11 01:57 PM
    Umm, I didn't buy an iPad2. However, users of the iPad1 are still supported on the same OS as the iPad2. The same won't be true of OS7 devices when QNX is released. Where do you think developers will devote their time?

Please link me to info that says RIM will stop supporting OS 7 once QNX releases.
    09-16-11 02:00 PM
    I'll give you these and let you decide what will happen to OS7. Sure, you'll get a few OS updates, for what they're worth, but the older BBOS is dead.

http://crackberry.com/research-motio...l-2012-results

"We will continue to build on the success of the BlackBerry 7 launch to drive the business as we focus our development efforts on delivering the next generation, QNX-based mobile platform next year."

Research In Motion's CEO Discusses Q2 2012 Results - Earnings Call Transcript - Seeking Alpha

"BlackBerry 7 has a lot of runway that we believe can carry us through the transition to QNX-based smartphones"

"We understand that the past few quarters have been challenging, and we are confident that we are on track to return to growth in Q3 and beyond. We are thrilled with our BlackBerry 7 launch, but are equally excited as we move towards delivering the QNX mobile platform, which gives us and our partners the opportunity to reimagine the power of BlackBerry and to deliver customers a unique and industry-leading mobile technology experience."

I'd say the writing is on the wall. Do you think that OS7 will get any new features? Flash? Android Apps? Probably not right? They're obsolete, plain and simple.

Please link me to info that says RIM will stop supporting OS 7 once QNX releases.
    Last edited by xandermac; 09-16-11 at 02:21 PM.
    09-16-11 02:15 PM
    i would have a hard time believing more than a small percentage actually care what os is running on a phone, or any computer for that matter as long as it does what they want it to do when they pick it up.
    i polled 6 people in the office while writing this and they all looked at me like i was from another planet.. no one knew or cared.
    09-16-11 06:25 PM
    They did acquire companies during Q2 also. I am sure no one buys out a company without spending cash for it.
    Actually you can purchase a company using your own stock. When Disney bought Pixar, it was a stock deal.
    09-16-11 08:11 PM
    You're being deliberately obtuse; we both know there's a difference between "support" and "compatibility."

Will OS 7 devices be "supported" by RIM? Yes.

Will they be "compatible" with QNX-based OS apps? No.

Will the QNX-based OS support OS 7 apps? Based on the absence of PlayBook compatibility with BlackBerry apps, no.
    09-16-11 08:17 PM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD