Amazon Partners With Paramount, Brings Hundreds More Movies To Prime Instant Video Service | TechCrunch

Amazon continues to build its catalog through partnerships with different studios, and with that 2 day free shipping, Netflix is losing ground. Netflix will soon be a non-issue shortly one way or another, with or without an app.
    05-24-12 12:14 AM
    I totally love Amazon Prime!! Free movies to watch instantly, discounted prices on items, free 2 day shipping. I have bought a lot of different items on Amazon and recouped my fee within a couple of months...Well worth the yearly fee.
    Harryl6134 likes this.
    05-24-12 12:24 AM
    Couldn't disagree more, for now. Netflix won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Personally I love my Netflix streaming and I know of a lot of others who do as well. I cut the cable cord a couple years ago and haven't looked back. It's now about 90% of my households tv watching, unless we're sitting down for a movie night with a blu-ray.....

Far as I know the Amazon services aren't available to us here and they won't be any time soon. You can't even buy a Kindle in Canada.

Do I care about having a Netflix app on my Playbook? No, not really - That's what my tv is for. Should there be a Netflix app available? Yes - it's a no-brainer for Netflix & RIM as far as I can see.
    05-24-12 12:25 AM
    Amazon, Google, Apple, Hulu, Comcast and others are building their own programs and adding content from studios but the notion that Netflix is going to go away still is not very convincing because the competition is not as good as you may think.

Amazon prime costs 70 bucks per year. Even with the additional content it still not as big as Netflix's portfolio and many people still love the DVD option. For those that don't it is very cheap.

Google is interesting. They have great technology and resources but seem scatter brain and there just is something missing to the Google Movie experience.

Apple does not offer a streaming or DVD option (at least not yet) and so it is a very different service.

Hulu is a partnership that has limited appeal and content. Certainly not as popular.

Comcast is a losers bet. You get Xfinity for five bucks but to get it you need to pay for a ton of premium content. Spending 40 bucks to save 5 is a bad bet.

Sure, people could live with any of the above. However, Netflix still has a stronghold and still the greatest content for the buck.
    Don't get me wrong, I cancelled my Netflix because I don't like they don't support the Playbook, among other reasons, but they are not doomed.

Netflix will get diluted a bit by multiple competitors and yes, Amazon will appeal to many that use the tax-dodging outfit for other goods; Apple fanboys will buy from Apple because it is easy (and so will BlackBerry Playbook users buy from BB Movies for that matter); Hulu is the little brother that just won't grow up; Comcast is going to appeal to some that already have premium services, all true. But Netflix is not going to go away. in fact, if they stop making stupid decisions, they could prosper.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 05-24-12 at 12:31 AM.
    05-24-12 12:28 AM
    I can see Netflix changing or re-inventing but definitely not dying. Yes they have lost some studio contracts recently but there's still a decent selection that I'm sure will continue improving. Not to mention TONS of good shows. Now as far as "stupid decisions they've made" For us Canadians - we never had the DVD subscription service in the first place so we aren't hung up on that. Most of us are just happy to have a bang-for-buck streaming service that has really good content.

They are constantly bringing new tv seasons on though - and are even getting involved with some exclusive Netflix series that look promising. Lilyhammer was pretty decent (as a comedy that was both clever & stupid on purpose) .

I'm quite looking forward to their show with Kevin Spacey, and the resurrection of Arrested Development. With any luck maybe they'll bring back Running Wilde too, that show rocked but got cut, likely because it doesn't rate like Big Brother or Survivor or whatever other reality TV B.S. that most people like to watch...
    05-24-12 12:41 AM
    As long as Amazon Prime is "locked down" for most countries in the world - they will never become real "winners"... there will be more than enough space for everybody...

The real problem - is the media industry - which have way to much power... and they need to realize that the world is not as big as it used to be - they are still living in the old analog world.. For all electronic media, Get rid of old "regions" and handle as one single region...
    05-24-12 03:47 AM
    There is still a lot of Amazon Prime content that will not play on the Playbook due to Flash incompatibilities, even here in the US.
    05-24-12 05:01 AM
    i just hate subsciption services.....
    05-24-12 06:16 AM
    It's not just the movies, you also get free 2-day shipping when buying from them. There are also Kindle benefits.
    05-24-12 06:37 AM
    Did I miss something? Isn't netflix's selection of movies and shows old? I mean it is not current content (x number of seasons behind). I have netflix but dont watch cause Ihave directv.
    Marty_LK likes this.
    05-24-12 06:49 AM
    I'd love to change from Netflix to Prime. But, it seems like it missing one necessary option for me: queue management.

My current setup allows me to put movies / shows into a queue with Netflix. Then, my kids can watch that queue via a Roku player at the TV. They can delete from the queue, but they cannot browse or add to it. I like that feature because it gives them the freedome to choose while I'm not in the room. But, I don't have to worry about what they might be watching or see inadvertently.

If Amazon had that feature - I'd love to switch.
    05-24-12 06:50 AM
    I just wait until Netflix invites me back for another free trial (which happens about every 4-5 months). I sign up again, for free. Then, when we have finished watching all 5 or 6 new movies they have added since we last canceled, we cancel again. The "new" movies that they add are usually all much older anyway, so they are new to my kids. For truly new movies, we just use the HBOGO service.

I must say, though, that when I recently was confined to my bed for an extended time due to surgery, I truly enjoyed the Amazon Prime experience. They had fresh movie choices and the 2 day free shipping bonus was really helpful since I couldn't leave the house.
    05-24-12 08:21 AM
    I love the benefit of the free 2 day shipping and its a cheaper service then Netflix. I dont think Netflix is going away anytime soon, but if u think about it more than half of the Amazon prime customers were probably previous Netflix customers, so they have loss a lot of customers in the U.S.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    05-24-12 09:56 AM
    netflix didn't need Amazon to become irrelevent....they did that all by their lonesome with their old azz movies one can find for free on those obscure cable channels.
    05-24-12 11:22 AM
    If Amazon could put its streaming services as apps on the Xbox, PS3, and Wii then I think they could do some more damage to Netflix. A lot of families and individuals have video game systems, and that is a great outlet for streaming movies.

Edit: And I tried Hulu Plus once, and they had ads (more than OnDemand). If I am paying a subscription fee for a specific service, then I don't want ads... so Hulu Plus was ditched.

And Amazon Instant Streaming is now on the Xbox as of like yesterday or something. And was or is on the PS3. But the price is high if you do not shop much on Amazon or do not trade books on the Kindle.
    Last edited by BerryClever; 05-30-12 at 11:54 AM.
    doogman likes this.
    05-24-12 11:50 AM
    But Playbook is not on the approved Amazon Prime device list. How can I then watch it on PB?
    05-24-12 12:24 PM
    I canceled Netflix long ago and use Amazon. Love it.
    05-24-12 12:25 PM
    But Playbook is not on the approved Amazon Prime device list. How can I then watch it on PB?
    because we have the full web on our browser. Thats how. Try it out.
    rcm1301 likes this.
    05-24-12 08:39 PM
    Amazon works well on my play book, Netflix not so much! Netflix works well on my G-note, Amazon does not! Amazon prime has better selections.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 (G-note) using Tapatalk 2
    05-24-12 09:08 PM
    Did I miss something? Isn't netflix's selection of movies and shows old? I mean it is not current content (x number of seasons behind). I have netflix but dont watch cause Ihave directv.
    It can be a season behind what's currently airing on TV, but some shows are current. Movies are generally available a few months after they come out on DVD / Blu-Ray...

For me that's not much of a problem, but it's also still evolving. They're bringing some exclusive shows soon that will debut on Netflix and I'm sure they'll do quite well. They have something in the works for a show with Kevin Spacey (can't recall the title but you can Google it), and they're also resurrecting Arrested Development - which I'm quite excited for.
    05-24-12 09:51 PM
    I have never understood the appeal of streaming. Sometimes, I will stream, but I would rather download a video or rip from a DVD. And with some Internet providers going to metered usage, I think streaming will go downhill.

And I can't get free 2 day shipping with Amazon Prime and I live in the USA. Those tax cheating bastards.
    05-24-12 11:01 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD