I already own a Playbook but my wife's crappy laptop had its HD fail, and its WiFi adapter is starting to go as well, so needless to say, not worth spending the $$ on those 2 components on a 2 year old laptop that cost $500 at the time of purchase. I already own another laptop that cost a fair few bucks and that will probably be my last laptop. I think I'm going to phase out laptops in my family (yes, even after my pontificating a few weeks ago about how wonderful they are. So sue me ).

I don't really want two Playbooks, because I'm probably going to make make my second tablet a 10" so we have one of each size. My wife is going to be the main user, and she is NOT tech savvy at all. My own non-PC devices are an android phone and my PB. So far my top picks for consideration are (not in any order of preference):

1. iPad 2
    2. Asus Transformer Prime
    3. Galaxy Tab 10.1 or whatever it's called

Given the above considerations for how she'll be using it, what would your pick be?
    01-06-12 03:33 PM
    If she is not tech savvy and wants a 10 inch screen, and you can afford it I'd go with the iPad. Although the Transformer and Galaxy tab are fine tablets, I think most non-techy people will generally enjoy the iPad more. But, if you do get an iPad--I'd wait until March for the iPad 3. Rumor has it that the screen will be much better and that the iPad 2 may continue to be offered at a lower price.
    01-06-12 03:39 PM
    Should buy Asus Transformer. It is officially getting ICS upgrade on Jan. 12. As your wife is not into techy stuff she will actually enjoy most up to date interface without any pain and effort. As far as ipad2 is concerned it will be getting a successor in some months.
    01-06-12 03:50 PM
    Well I find iOS is a bit easier then Android for me. It may be that I used iOS for a good 4-5 years and Android for like 2 months. I wanted to buy a Android tablet or PMP to replace my iPod Touch, which is how I ended up buying a Playbook.

If you're buying an iPad I suggest you go with the iPad 2 or even wait for the next model. Atleast from my experiences with the iPod Touch 4G and 2G they cant handle higher iOS firmwares meant for the next generation. iOS 4 completely ruined the performance for my 2G and for the 4G I can notice the slower reaction time of touches and applications opening up with iOS 5. So the original iPad may be a bit slow with iOS 5 even for the not-tech savy people.

Android on the other hand like I said I don't have that much time and experience spent with it. I do like Android as an OS which is why I decided to give my ipod to my brother. Both Galaxy Tab 10.1 and Transformer Prime are good choices. Whether its Tegra 2 (Dual Core) or Tegra 3 (Quad Core + 1) ICS shouldnt be a problem. If you're gong android get something that will be updated to or come with ICS
    01-06-12 04:01 PM
    iPad 2/3 would be fine...
    01-06-12 04:08 PM
    IPad would probably be your best choice for a non tech savy person and the apps selection is incredible.
    01-06-12 04:13 PM
    ipad 2/3 for a nontech person. women also seem to love apple products!
    xKrNMBoYx likes this.
    01-06-12 04:19 PM
    Here's my answer:

My first tablet was a Playbook that I gave to my wife for Christmas.

Replaced it with my second tablet: a Transformer Prime-- a very nice tablet.

Had to do some setup/configuration stuff on my wife's Playbook, which motivated me to buy my third tablet: another (64GB) Playbook!

The Playbook is one helluva tablet, even compared to the Prime, the latest and greatest in the Android realm.
    01-06-12 04:36 PM
    I have a PlayBook and a Fire. If i had the cash for another tab, I really like the Asus Transformer Prime. But if your wife uses a BlackBerry, it would make more sense to buy a PB, especially at $299.
    01-06-12 04:37 PM
    iPad 2 - go completely different form factor and it gives you a chance to check out the ios apps. The Transformer Prime is a cool looking device and I would be tempted, though would want to check the reviews on the released product first. You can't go wrong with and iPad 2 (particularly if you get a refurb which in the case of Apple really is as good as new). Enjoy!
    01-06-12 05:17 PM
    thanks for your replies, I think I'll wait until march as suggested to keep my options more open
    01-06-12 05:26 PM
    With rumors floating around about Google releasing their own tablet this coming March/April for less than the KindleFire and supposed to be of high quality, i would be interested in that one.
    01-06-12 06:28 PM
    Wouldn't it be better to buy another smaller laptop so you can backup your stuff? If you had two tablets and your laptop fried, what would you backup on?
    01-06-12 08:56 PM
    I would stick with PlayBook platform, ie, 2nd PlayBook @ $299 for the 64GB plus a keyboard would make a decent netbook.
    Use video chat for communicating when someone's on the road.
    01-06-12 10:01 PM
    Repair the laptop for far less than the cost cheapest tablet on market. Then buy Toshiba Thrive 10" tablet with full size usb and hdmi ports with SD card slot. Use the money left over for accessories and apps when compared to cost of iPad, Transformer or Galaxy.
    01-06-12 10:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD