In a report issued by Wedge Partners (and publicized by All Things Digital), the Playbook is doomed for disaster...

Read on: BlackBerry PlayBook: Looks Good on Paper, But ... - Yahoo! Finance

I gotta say, he makes some very valid points. The lack of a native email app just seems short-sighted to me.
    02-03-11 06:47 AM
    pretty much the same thing we've been discussing here.
    02-03-11 07:51 AM
    I wouldn't say that it is trashing the playbook - it states it has the best specs of the coming tablets, a great OS/UI, and amazing multi tasking skills. The author just does not see it being a success because of the lack of an e-mail client which imo will only be the case with the wifi version.

The biggest problem with the playbook is RIM's refusal to actually talk about it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Kerms, mcjohn and xenomorph113 like this.
    02-03-11 07:57 AM
    I wouldn't say that it is trashing the playbook - it states it has the best specs of the coming tablets, a great OS/UI, and amazing multi tasking skills. The author just does not see it being a success because of the lack of an e-mail client which imo will only be the case with the wifi version.

The biggest problem with the playbook is RIM's refusal to actually talk about it.

Great point!
    02-03-11 08:16 AM

I've said the same exact thing in the DOA thread. Once something spreads on the internet, it takes off like wildfire and at that point it will be hard to put it out. You see RIM didn't waste anytime on the battery issue. I don't understand why they don't try to clarify the Bridge/Tether.

I said when you have salesmen like at Best Buy or other places trying to sell the PB and all they hear about is the email thing, they are going to tell the consumer you will need a BB to use a PB, you don't want this device and move the consumer on to another device. It's already bad enough Emperor SJ has said all 7" devices are DOA, I can't tell you how man times I've heard fanboys call all 7" devices DOA. Like it or not though Apple marketing is A+++ no matter what they put out or the cost people will gobble it up. This is why other company's can't sit back and not take action and defend their product. RIM didn't waste time when SJ said all phones suffer death grips and held up a BB.

I also think RIM needs to clarify the Bridge/Tether and how it will apply when using the internet and data fees. I have my opinion why they haven't but won't go in to it here.

ETA:
    I read the 1 comment at the time posted on that article about software and fixed after launch.
    The thing about that is, if you start off on the wrong foot, it's hard to get back into the graces of the main stream, fanboys of any device will stick with it, look at Notion Ink and the Adam. IMO that tablet is finished. I wouldn't be surprised if the Notion doesn't close it's doors. That's not going to happen to RIM but they are going to have to start doing some serious damage control. When you think RIM/Blackberry. You think email/messaging.

Agree the 3G/4G version this won't be an issue.
    Last edited by Daps; 02-03-11 at 08:32 AM.
    mcjohn likes this.
    02-03-11 08:19 AM
    I agree, mostly because this market tho in its infancy is already highly competitive and the void of info left in the wake of rim's utter silence has naturally allowed negative and inaccurate things circulated about it. Outside that list of specs we see over and over we have nothing except a few morsels spit out by reps at shows (you can see on youtube), which some of that I'd more frightening than anything I've read in a mag or a review. One could jump to the conclusion that its because RIM doesn't want you to know a lot about the product that is coming out at launch but I don't think this is the case; RIM is notorious for keeping titghtly sealed lips as far as marketing goes; I feel they are just saying true to form. I will repeat what I've said before, which is that RIM needs to learn the importance of PR especially since their world is rapidly changing as they must become more competitive in the private sector to stay afloat.

02-03-11 08:29 AM
    I've said the same exact thing in the DOA thread. Once something spreads on the internet, it takes off like wildfire and at that point it will be hard to put it out. You see RIM didn't waste anytime on the battery issue. I don't understand why they don't try to clarify the Bridge/Tether.

I said when you have salesmen like at Best Buy or other places trying to sell the PB and all they hear about is the email thing, they are going to tell the consumer you will need a BB to use a PB, you don't want this device and move the consumer on to another device. It's already bad enough Emperor SJ has said all 7" devices are DOA, I can't tell you how man times I've heard fanboys call all 7" devices DOA. Like it or not though Apple marketing is A+++ no matter what they put out or the cost people will gobble it up. This is why other company's can't sit back and not take action and defend their product. RIM didn't waste time when SJ said all phones suffer death grips and held up a BB.

I also think RIM needs to clarify the Bridge/Tether and how it will apply when using the internet and data fees. I have my opinion why they haven't but won't go in to it here.

ETA:
    I read the 1 comment at the time posted on that article about software and fixed after launch.
    The thing about that is, if you start off on the wrong foot, it's hard to get back into the graces of the main stream, fanboys of any device will stick with it, look at Notion Ink and the Adam. IMO that tablet is finished. I wouldn't be surprised if the Notion doesn't close it's doors. That's not going to happen to RIM but they are going to have to start doing some serious damage control. When you think RIM/Blackberry. You think email/messaging.

Agree the 3G/4G version this won't be an issue.
    All of this is cool, except, the average consumer is not going to have some company footing the bill for another account with a carrier to get 3G/4G.
    02-03-11 09:18 AM
    The only thing in the report that concerns me is the comments about getting content onto the PB. I am assuming that you can simply plug it into a USB port and Windows will detect it as a removable hard drive and you drag and drop. If you have to load video and music via the Desktop Manager that is going to be a MAJOR drawback
    02-03-11 09:39 AM
    I agree, mostly because this market tho in its infancy is already highly competitive and the void of info left in the wake of rim's utter silence has naturally allowed negative and inaccurate things circulated about it. Outside that list of specs we see over and over we have nothing except a few morsels spit out by reps at shows (you can see on youtube), which some of that I'd more frightening than anything I've read in a mag or a review. One could jump to the conclusion that its because RIM doesn't want you to know a lot about the product that is coming out at launch but I don't think this is the case; RIM is notorious for keeping titghtly sealed lips as far as marketing goes; I feel they are just saying true to form. I will repeat what I've said before, which is that RIM needs to learn the importance of PR especially since their world is rapidly changing as they must become more competitive in the private sector to stay afloat.

Ok, I don't think I've ever agreed with you on anything, but these are great points. RIM could definitely do itself a favor by learning the art of creating (and sustaining) a buzz.

02-03-11 09:46 AM
    The only thing in the report that concerns me is the comments about getting content onto the PB. I am assuming that you can simply plug it into a USB port and Windows will detect it as a removable hard drive and you drag and drop. If you have to load video and music via the Desktop Manager that is going to be a MAJOR drawback
    The analyst means that they don't have a content store like iTunes. Apparently he believes that an "expensive web browser" is incapable of locating content. Superbulls on Apple cannot imagine anything outside of iTunes.

02-03-11 09:48 AM

They will all be "wifi versions". PB will have wifi native, all releases all versions. But the 1st gen will have the tethering to BB for data access when wifi is not available, plus bridging to bb in order to use the email and cal and contacts from bb on the PB. It's rare that I'm not somewhere with free wifi, let alone NO wifi. So tucking my BB into my pocket, bridged to my PB and Rocketfish headset through bluetooth, I'm rocking and rolling.

The 3G/4G models will be "cell phones" themselves and will not require you to tether a blackberry or other phone to get data access but gonna look silly up against your face making a call without a headset, LOL
    02-03-11 09:50 AM
    "•The PlayBook’s lack of native calendar and email applications, a core RIM strength that has been oddly been left out of the device’s first iteration."

These might come from third party developers, or by the CDMA version. Personally, I don't want another email app unless it deletes the data when I walk away.

•"The need to tether it to a Blackberry to access those applications, a feature intended to appeal to enterprise by obviating the need for additional security measures, but one that will inevitably alientate non-BlackBerry users."

So get a Blackberry, wait to see what they do with 3G, or get a different tab if you can get the IT guy to let you use it at work.

•"A profound lack of applications and a sub-par application storefront."

I've said this elsewhere but I'll say it again, if you can't deal with the number of apps AppWorld has on your phone, you're looking in the wrong place for your tablet.

•"No easy mechanism for content delivery and consumption. “How will users get music or movies on there,” Blair asks. “Through the Blackberry Desktop download manager? Well, we have tried this and it isn’t easy.”"

Man this guy's picky, if you want "easy" just watch some flash! I will be consuming lots of it. I bet it will be read as a drive on your computer, you can probably even turn on or off USB mass storage. You can most likely download content from lots of sources. Easier than being locked up in iTunes if you ask me.
    Daniel Ratcliffe likes this.
    02-03-11 10:13 AM
    �"No easy mechanism for content delivery and consumption. �How will users get music or movies on there,� Blair asks. �Through the Blackberry Desktop download manager? Well, we have tried this and it isn�t easy.�"

I want to know where his comment based from. I think Desktop Manager's media manager is extremely easy to use. I know it's not itunes where you plug in your phone and it automatically syncs every song on your computer. But christ if you haven't learned to drag and drop on a computer at this point in time you should just give up.
    Daniel Ratcliffe likes this.
    02-03-11 10:25 AM
    �"No easy mechanism for content delivery and consumption. �How will users get music or movies on there,� Blair asks. �Through the Blackberry Desktop download manager? Well, we have tried this and it isn�t easy.�"

It isn't iTunes, that's why he's complaining. In fact, the iTunes App Store is the reason I WON'T go iPhone/iPad, btw, I don't do jailbreaking.
    02-03-11 10:27 AM

It isn't iTunes, that's why he's complaining. In fact, the iTunes App Store is the reason I WON'T go iPhone/iPad, btw, I don't do jailbreaking.
    Come on now, you have never put a hybrid on any of your BB's?
    02-03-11 10:32 AM

The guy is either biased or ignorant (niether meant to be an insult but an accurate discription). Getting mp3's onto blackberry devices is as easy any other sort of file swapping on a computer, whereas itunes... Well, it sucks. Its not intuitive. My first inclination us to say he's biased.

Plug the thing in via usb, see the new pretty external drive icon pop up and drag-drop... What gives? Anyway know enough about this device now from the horse's mouth to where I can just blow off most reviews because, quite frankly, they are totally wrong.

Ok, I don't think I've ever agreed with you on anything, but these are great points.
    There is nothing wrong to disagreeing with me; I'm a human being, I'm not always right.

Last edited by kb5zht; 02-03-11 at 10:46 AM.
    02-03-11 10:44 AM
    The BlackBerry Radio beta guts his argument about downloading content. There are many companies looking for partners to sell media.

It was also funny that Blair issued his note stating that there would be no enterprise support on the day when IBM had Mr. Balsillie appear to speak at Lotusphere. IBM, Oracle, SAP, Salesforce and others have pledged support for the PlayBook. When did they cease to be leaders in providing enterprise solutions?

02-03-11 11:29 AM
    Come on now, you have never put a hybrid on any of your BB's?
    Never, I'm looking at loading one though, something seems to keep glitching the BB on the official Operating System making uploading photos to Facebook a no-go unless I reboot the phone after every photo I upload.
    02-03-11 03:36 PM
    the product has a cloud over it. people don't understand it. salesman will not know how to sell this except to the stuck in the mud IT departments that are scared to embrace a future made of Android and Apple.
    02-03-11 03:39 PM
    ...a future made of Android and Apple.
    That sounds bleak
    02-03-11 05:28 PM
    That sounds bleak
    Quite the opposite my friend. Here on the dark side, the future is so bright, we've got to wear shades.

howarmat, Kerms and psiclne like this.
    02-03-11 07:17 PM
    hootyhoo I've read a couple of your recent post and man you're killing me here hahah
    02-03-11 07:19 PM
    yeah that was a good one lol
    02-03-11 07:24 PM
    hootyhoo I've read a couple of your recent post and man you're killing me here hahah
    Thank you, I'll be here all week. And don't forget to tip your waitress.

02-03-11 07:29 PM
    Yeah, that must be why the Android forum is just blowin' up with discussion of all the great new Android tablets coming out of every supply chain orifice. Funny how you guys even have time to trash the PB. And especially over the same old mailbox issue... Yawn...
    02-03-11 07:31 PM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD