........ Reviews are out and everyone and their dog , are thinking twice about the Playbook , Even after , people who are regulers here and have spent a long time with blackberries have said that it is a Nice unit.

I love how a opinion of a review site can change an entire upbeat and happy forum , to a dull , depressing and disgusting sounding forum.

Remember when Microsoft went to Vista from XP and cut XP off after service pack 3 . Thats exactly what this is. But vista wasn't really a huge problem , the problem was perception and opinions were said and because it was different , it was the problem..... and then windows 7 came out and everyone was all YAY i love windows 7... Well sorry to burst your little bubble of comfort , but windows 7 is Vista version 2.0.

Now take that analogy , and apply it to the Playbook.

Playbook released to devs and reviewers , reviews were either biased towards apple , or were very objective , neither for or against , this is version 1.0 of the QNX OS and The playbook , and the hardware is all there , no need to change much , if any of that , (they are adding 3g/4g next but thats it) but the software which is handled via regular updates will change alot over the next 6 months , why because they are updateing it. Think of this edition of the PB , vista , and the next one Windows 7 , But with one Major difference , you wouldn't have to entirely upgrade the OS , like vista to 7 was , you can received the update via the net , and BAM , there is a new and improve version of your OS.

SO boohoo to the nay sayers , The playbook , has the potential as we have seen , and boo to the ones who changed their minds based on the lame reviews of a " unfinished" product , they are all unfinished , Ipad 1 had several updates during its life and the ipad 2 will also.

Nothing is different now than it was before the reviews. It is still a 7" tablet , it still is QNX , it still doesn't have a native email client out of the box ( coming soon and soon availiable in a third party app) , still has bridgeing and tethering , still doesn't have BBM video , nothing has changed , but everyones attitude towards it has changed. I see so many posts about the negative about it , how about a little positive like we had before the reviews.

The playbook OS will not have a huge change between now and the next 2 years , they will improve on it, and we will get updates , Even if RIM releases two more Playbook editions by then , the OS will still be the same .

Yes the app store doesn't have 50 million apps at launch , but again we knew this long ago. nothing new.

Some will use it for work , others will use to make their work easier , others its a toy , and yet others its convienience , and yet again to others who have more money than brains.

At the end of the day its a wonderful piece of tech that we will all love who decided to remain loyal to RIM and buy it.

Sounds like rant i know, it kinda is , but at the same time , i want to see more positive posts here , i read this everyday and would like to see more happy things here.
    04-14-11 10:04 PM
    Happens everytime reviews or devices hit the street, it will get worse as we enter next week.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-14-11 10:07 PM
    I'm still oh so ******* excited for the pb arrival, still obsessed, I've ordered and canceled with 3 different retailers (due to trying to get it early(had one from walmart enroute to my house but walmart caught the error they made)) settled with a 32gb pre order with staples, and told myself I can deal with waiting till the 19th (while in the back of my mind I'm hoping it shows up on the 18th) I agree with your post and I'm sure over the weekend the mood will change for the better

04-14-11 10:14 PM
    I hope the mood will change come the 20th when people have had a day to play with their very own one , and be able to come here and glorify about it , and then i will sit back and chug one and think to myself ...... Damn i told you so...... and smile

:P
    9of13 and thedark722 like this.
    04-14-11 10:18 PM
    SO boohoo to the nay sayers , The playbook , has the potential as we have seen , and boo to the ones who changed their minds based on the lame reviews of a " unfinished" product , they are all unfinished , Ipad 1 had several updates during its life and the ipad 2 will also.
    People don't go to stores and hand over $500+ for a box of unfinished potential. Only die-hard fanatics do that sort of thing. I think RIM is hoping for a broader demographic.
    04-14-11 10:19 PM
    I agree with you. Also, remember that RIM has always said that their primary focus was on Enterprise customers. Wait until we hear some reviews from those people before passing judgement. I have a 64GB PB preordered and my two cases arrived today. One is a working case from Piel Frama and the other is a ballistic nylon travel case from Waterfield Designs. I am 68 and have followed computers since the first desktop was introduced in the mid 80's. I remember thinking, wow, this is nice but so big. Now finally, what I have wanted for 25 years. A serious computing device small enough to hold in my hand. It was worth waiting for and I can certainly wait a few more months while the bugs are worked out. As the saying goes, this is too big to fail. At least for RIM. They will do whatever it takes to because they are committed.
    04-14-11 10:20 PM
    People don't go to stores and hand over $500+ for a box of unfinished potential. Only die-hard fanatics do that sort of thing. I think RIM is hoping for a broader demographic.
    People bought the iPad 2 didn't they?
    04-14-11 10:24 PM
    I agree with you. Also, remember that RIM has always said that their primary focus was on Enterprise customers. Wait until we hear some reviews from those people before passing judgement. I have a 64GB PB preordered and my two cases arrived today. One is a working case from Piel Frama and the other is a ballistic nylon travel case from Waterfield Designs. I am 68 and have followed computers since the first desktop was introduced in the mid 80's. I remember thinking, wow, this is nice but so big. Now finally, what I have wanted for 25 years. A serious computing device small enough to hold in my hand. It was worth waiting for and I can certainly wait a few more months while the bugs are worked out. As the saying goes, this is too big to fail. At least for RIM. They will do whatever it takes to because they are committed.

I hear you there , i have a history with the PC industry since the first home PCs ,

But i am talking about the ones who already had theirs preordered then cancelled . Not the ones who waited from the beginning. They don't know anymore or less than we did before the reviews were released.
    04-14-11 10:26 PM
    Good post. Agree 100%. Too expensive for entry level product.

04-14-11 10:30 PM
    Reviewing an unfinished product isnt exactly fair, but hey, it was RIM's decision to ship those PlayBooks to reviewers, they are to blame.

Second, RIM has always been about business, leaving consumers as an afterthought. But this is not exactly the case with the Playbook, they are trying really hard to appeal to the average consumer but theyre not quite there just yet.

I'm willing to wait a couple of months and then make a final decision on wich tablet to buy (probably the playbook :P).
    04-14-11 10:31 PM
    People bought the iPad 2 didn't they?
    I think you are confused about what people are buying. They are not investing in the iPad's potential. They are not trying to help Apple recoup their initial investment so they can improve the platform. They are not trying to prop of a competitor for hate of another company, or for the belief that competition is good for everyone. No, they are buying a complete and well-polished product for themselves: the enduser, to use and enjoy out of the box, from day one.

If you are trying to suggest that the Playbook's potential is some sort of selling point for people looking to drop $500 on a computing device, you have completely misjudged the situation. Consumers do not care about your future potential or your last big success. They care about the product on the shelf as is.
    04-14-11 10:33 PM
    Yeh, but it's all relative really. To each his/her own. The PB could solve world hunger and end all war as is, still not be finished (next update solves global warming) and there will still be critics complaining about something. It's all about feeling you've made an educated decision about what you just dropped a load of money on. People become "fanboys" because they don't put themselves in someone else's shoes. If you like whatever you purchased and you think the convenience/enjoyment it offers is worth the money, then buy it. No need to spew negativity but instead a nice debate would suffice. We should learn to just agree to disagree.

I loved the new iPhones (when they first came out). But it just didn't do what I wanted. The BBerry I bought was a tad ugly, and about as exciting as a piece of wood, but man did it get the job done! I paid for that, enjoyed that convenience, and don't regret it. Do I still like the iPhones? Sure, the interface is awesome! But after weighing my preferences to what each phone offered, I still chose otherwise.

So, while 2 days ago we were going up the roller coaster, now we descend. But hey, I've never once considered changing my order and won't because I know the PB will suite me perfectly. My "educated decision" to drop a load of money on it is relative to my preferences, not anyone else.

Judge the PB for yourself, that's the bottom line.

To my knowledge, only a small handful have had that opportunity at this point.
    Last edited by emailthisaddress; 04-14-11 at 10:43 PM.
    wassab likes this.
    04-14-11 10:38 PM
    People become "fanboys" because they don't put themselves in someone else's shoes
    just as a Little Background so people don't think i am talking out of my ***. I owned a Iphone , twice . Also went to android , Big mistake , then i went to the trusty Blackberry , which has been around forever , got me a torch , i love it.

But am i a blackberry fan boy , maybe a little , but i recognize that other smartphones are very good also , it really depends on the audience.

But i agree , with emailthisaddress , to each their own , i preordered and will wait paitiently for mine.

PS , for those in Canada and get them in store , i get mine before all of you due to my timezone MUUUHAHAHA :P
    04-14-11 10:45 PM
    I am all about this thread.

Every review of course is going to have a biased review compared to the iPad. Who ever said (besides Apple) that the iPad defined the "tablet"?

Let's not forget the iPad launched with ONLY 1,000 apps in the app store, and yeah, even if may currently have 65k apps currently, it took over a year to get there - and all that means is it's a HUGE MONEY PIT $$$!

And lets not forget that the iPad still has software issues that never make the reviews:

- iPad 1's lack of memory which caused Safari only to be able to handle two webpages at once
    - Light bleeding issues
    - Verizon 3G issues

But I'm not really here to bash on the iPad because it's the greatest thing to ever come out of Apple.

None of the reviews highlight any of the PlayBook's amazing features which we cannot forget about:

- way better cameras
    - REAL multitasking
    - Bluetooth Keyboard & Mouse
    - Supported formats
    - Flash
    - FREE Word Processing Software

We all know there are TONS more benefits out there. The thing is, this is an entirely new product category hitting the market. No one truly knows how we're going to use them, but more options is only better - and the PlayBook has more options!

Promote! Promote! Promote!
    Last edited by JMF5017; 04-14-11 at 10:54 PM.
    gr8ocguy likes this.
    04-14-11 10:47 PM
    Yeh, but it's all relative really. To each his/her own. The PB could solve world hunger and end all war as is, still not be finished (next update solves global warming) and there will still be critics complaining about something. It's all about feeling you've made an educated decision about what you just dropped a load of money on. People become "fanboys" because they don't put themselves in someone else's shoes. If you like whatever you purchased and you think the convenience/enjoyment it offers is worth the money, then buy it. No need to spew negativity but instead a nice debate would suffice. We should learn to just agree to disagree.

I loved the new iPhones (when they first came out). But it just didn't do what I wanted. The BBerry I bought was a tad ugly, and about as exciting as a piece of wood, but man did it get the job done! I paid for that, enjoyed that convenience, and don't regret it. Do I still like the iPhones? Sure, the interface is awesome! But after weighing my preferences to what each phone offered, I still chose otherwise.

So, while 2 days ago we were going up the roller coaster, now we descend. But hey, I've never once considered changing my order and won't because I know the PB will suite me perfectly. My "educated decision" to drop a load of money on it is relative to my preferences, not anyone else.

Judge the PB for yourself, that's the bottom line.

To my knowledge, only a small handful have had that opportunity at this point.
    I concur...
    04-14-11 10:48 PM
    All of these reviews made me even more excited, especially with the unboxing of the retail version.

Negatives from Reviews:
    Power Button
    Mail Client
    Apps

Negatives from Reviews that will affect me:
    Blank
    tunfive0, sleepngbear and Cozmik like this.
    04-14-11 10:51 PM
    lol i like this guy
    04-14-11 10:55 PM
    I'm a good guy. :P
    04-14-11 10:58 PM
    All of these reviews made me even more excited, especially with the unboxing of the retail version.

Negatives from Reviews:
    Power Button
    Mail Client
    Apps

Negatives from Reviews that will affect me:
    Blank
    Same with me, while I can see how those issues might bother the average consumer, they don't affect me, and that's really all that matters (to me :P)

That being said, I want the playbook to do well and I look forward to the future software updates that RIM will push and can't wait for QNX to continue to mature as a platform.

On a side note, maybe i'm the only one, but I find that (especially) in the tech world things move so fast that we've forgotten how to be patient haha, we're all so used to getting the latest and greatest instantly. Now i'm not saying that RIM making us wait is a good thing or that they shouldn't pick up their pace etc. What i'm saying is I think it's a good thing to have some patience and kick back and enjoy what you've got.
    Out of curiosity, i hear that in the states being in a 2 year contract seems like an absurdity, while here in Canada, 3 year contracts are the norm if you want to get a good discount on the handset, am I the only one that sticks with my phone until the end haha? By the time my contracts up, i'm hoping QNX will be on the next Blackberrys
    04-14-11 11:17 PM
    im not a regular "poster on this site" but i love it and I'm on here religiously That being said once i get my PB on the 19th I will prolly check out this site for info in regards to software updates and such but ill stay away from the PB forums for a while to much negativity and its a buzz kill. despite all the negative reviews on the torch I still purchased one and loved it, really didn't understand all the negativity. then again maybe im not as critical as others.. come on 19th.......
    04-14-11 11:18 PM
    Think about all of the movie critics who have said a movie sucks, or a movie is good. Then you go and see that movie, and have the complete opposite view of the movie. I think it's a lot like that.

People are really too high strung after reading some peoples opinions wow.

If you're really worried, wait a few weeks or months and see what the updates they release for playbook will be like.
    04-14-11 11:25 PM
    Happens everytime reviews or devices hit the street, it will get worse as we enter next week.

lol yeah, can't wait!!!

here's some suggestions for thread titles for those who are about to embrace us with their knowledgeable presence.

"I just bought a Playbook and I'm returning it for an ipad"

or
    "thanks crackberry but I decided on an ipad after playing around with the playbook"

or straight to the point

"PLAYBOOK SUCKS!!!#$#%@@" :P
    04-14-11 11:34 PM
    I'm a good guy. :P
    I am sure you are and if you played anything but CS i might let you shoot me :P
    04-15-11 12:01 AM
    I think you are confused about what people are buying. They are not investing in the iPad's potential. They are not trying to help Apple recoup their initial investment so they can improve the platform. They are not trying to prop of a competitor for hate of another company, or for the belief that competition is good for everyone. No, they are buying a complete and well-polished product for themselves: the enduser, to use and enjoy out of the box, from day one.

If you are trying to suggest that the Playbook's potential is some sort of selling point for people looking to drop $500 on a computing device, you have completely misjudged the situation. Consumers do not care about your future potential or your last big success. They care about the product on the shelf as is.
    Every time I read quotes like this one, I think back to the release of the iPhone.

There were NO apps, developers were told to write web viewable apps since they would not be allowed to write apps specifically for the iPhone (which is the same OS as the iPad)

There was a six month lead time between product announcement and product launch. Gee, that seems to be the same lead time as RIM gave, but they are getting killed over it.

It was $499 for the 4gb and $599 for the 8Gb... and that was a SUBSIDIZED price.

It was as buggy as an ant-farm (video issues, random dropped calls, voice mail flaking...)

People bought them in droves.

So now we face a product launch from RIM and they are held to a completely different standard. Why? Because the market matured, yes, but also because they are not Apple. No matter how well this goes, not being apple will mean there will be people that refuse to be objective.

Having iPads, a Xoom, and soon to be a PlayBook in the family... the only one that has had me excited about the release was the PlayBook (although the Asus Transformer looks pretty awesome as a replacement for my Netbook).
    04-15-11 02:08 AM
    I think you are confused about what people are buying. They are not investing in the iPad's potential. They are not trying to help Apple recoup their initial investment so they can improve the platform.
    Ok, that's fair, but then take it back a step: People bought the iPhone, didn't they? I mean that thing was a messaging device without copy/paste. It was a cellphone without MMS. These things were standard for smartphones at the time of its release, and that phone lacked them. But here's the thing: People still bought the phone, not in spite of what it could not do, but because of what it could do. And, unlike the missing features of the Playbook, there was no real time-table for their implementation or even any hints that such features were coming.

None of the reviews highlight any of the PlayBook's amazing features which we cannot forget about:

- way better cameras
    - REAL multitasking
    - Bluetooth Keyboard & Mouse
    - Supported formats
    - Flash
    - FREE Word Processing Software
    Here's the problem with this though: Almost every one of the reviews that did mention these positive things had some kind of "unfinished" aspect to add to them. The cameras are better, but there's no easy way to upload your video to youtube yet. There's REAL multitasking, but after a few apps are open, you get the "Memory Low" error. There is keyboard and mouse support, but the first-party hardware isn't finished yet. There are many supported media formats, but the players aren't optimized to make the most of battery life with some of them. It supports Flash, but it makes the browser considerably slower, and sometimes the flash images and ads load in places they shouldn't or bleed out from where they should be.

I can understand people's reluctance to purchase something that seems to have a drawback to every positive thing it does, even if that reluctance is based on a third-party reviewer's opinion. But one common thing that every reviewer has admitted is that the updates were frequent, and each one made the tablet better. So, taking that into consideration, I can also understand people's excitement to purchase this, especially if they have a BlackBerry and like the form factor, because very few complaints have been made about the hardware.

Personally, I'm going to do the same thing I always planned on doing: I'm going to the store on a weekday morning when no one is around and I'm going to use it. I'll try to bridge it to my Blackberry. I'll mess with the browser, etc. If I like it, I'll buy it. If it seems too rough around the edges, I'll make a note in my memopad of the OS version number, and keep an eye on this forum. When updates come out, I'll go back, see if the unit is up to date, and try it again. If it fails for too long, I'll look elsewhere. If not, I'll buy.
    howarmat and sleepngbear like this.
    04-15-11 02:13 AM
61 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD