Oh Geeeezzz I have a headache....
    There's a tranquiliser app against that: Methadroid. The app is written in Air with a c++ interface implemented over cascades. The app uses the native NDK kit for backing up connections and the icing on the cake, for this app the SDK kit was completely overhauled with the latest nonnative html8-- console. But it is not yet released, it will be released soon.

Have a nice day
    05-27-12 03:23 AM
    i would be delighted if they were all rebiult using Qt/QML now that QNX/BBOS10 support it.
    05-27-12 04:28 AM
    You can't be serious

==================================
    The global standard for reliably viewing and sharing PDF documents

Adobe� Reader� is the free, trusted leader for reliably viewing and interacting with PDF documents across platforms and devices. Download the free Adobe Reader X mobile app to work with PDF files on your Android smartphones and tablets. Easily access, manage, and share a wide variety of PDF file types, including PDF Portfolios, password-protected documents, fillable forms, and Adobe LiveCycle� rights-managed PDF files.

View and share PDF files
    • Quickly open PDF files on your Android device
    • View PDF Portfolios, password-protected PDF files, annotations, and drawing markups
    • Search text to find specific information
    • Select single page or continuous scroll modes
    • Easily zoom in on text or images for a closer view
    • Email PDF files as attachments and share files with other applications

Navigate through PDF content
    • Use bookmarks to jump directly to a section in your PDF file
    • Quickly navigate through large files using thumbnails
    • Click on hyperlinks in PDF files to open linked web pages

Annotate and comment on PDF files
    • Provide feedback using the highlight, strikethrough, and underline tools
    • Easily mark up PDF content with the freehand drawing tool
    • Add comments anywhere in your PDF file with sticky notes

Fill out forms
    • Quickly fill out simple PDF forms
    • Save, sign, and forward forms to others

Electronically sign documents
    • Use the new Ink Signature tool to sign any document using your finger
    • Send PDF files to others for electronic signing by connecting to Adobe EchoSign

Available languages:
    English, Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, and Turkish

==================================

Now tell me which of the above the PBOS version can do (Hint: the answer is in red, unless I am missing something)

Also note the rating. Adobe Reader on Android is fantastic compared to the pathetic imitation of an app that we have on the Playbook. Well, I guess Adobe Reader with all its business-oriented functionality is a "toy, not a tool," and is not "professional-grade" enough

And Adobe Reader is not the only app whose native PBOS version is either an extremely dumbed down or simply very old version of what it is on other platforms. Box.com, Evernote, IM+ are just a few other examples to name off the top of my head. I am pretty sure others can list many more such apps.

Even the Docs To Go app by DataViz, which is owned by RIM (!!!), is better on Android. Go figure

Sources:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ZS5yZWFkZXIiXQ..
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...5ldmVybm90ZSJd
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...guYW5kcm9pZCJd
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...1wbHVzbGl0ZSJd
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...mRvY3N0b2dvIl0
    Aren't those shortcoming that should be pointed out to Adobe and not Blackberry? No?
    Samegoes for the other apps too?
    Not exactly RIMs fault is it that third party developers are not interested in giving us Playbook users some love..
    05-27-12 04:32 AM
    Aren't those shortcoming that should be pointed out to Adobe and not Blackberry? No?
    Samegoes for the other apps too?
    Not exactly RIMs fault is it that third party developers are not interested in giving us Playbook users some love..
    First, please, read the comment I was responding to.

Second, I thought Adobe is in partnership with RIM. No?

Third, what about Docs To Go?

Fourth, I can tell you why IM+ is worse on the Playbook. It's partially because RIM decided not to enable background services.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 05-27-12 at 04:44 AM.
    05-27-12 04:36 AM
    Yeah, I have found some of the apps a bit wanting in places but not to the extent the OP is having.
    You sound like you could be leaking RAM a lot (which successive versions of 2.0 have tried to fix). If you run a lot of Android apps I suggest you wipe it and start all over again or at least do a Hard Reset.
    05-27-12 05:51 AM
    ... The messages app(AIR) is horrible and doesn't even update IMAP mail frequently ...
    I suspect that the PIM/email app, like the browser, only uses AIR for the visual interface. Such apps should have Cascades interfaces for BB10.

The messages app does have problems, but that doesn't have anything to do with AIR. With one important exception, RIM's IMAP client is just about as feature-poor as is possible. On top of that, from various reports here, the IMAP ciient has bugs in what little it tries to do.

RIM apparently put all their effort into the EAS (Exchange ActiveSync) client. That makes sense, since EAS is more capable than IMAP and is critical for RIM's enterprise efforts.

The IMAP exception is that the PB does native push email for IMAP inboxes. iOS native email does not do push for IMAP. 3rd party email clients that handle push IMAP use a "work-around" to Apple's restrictions which may or may not be disallowed in the future. The basic Android email client does not handle IMAP push email, either. 3rd party apps are available which do. But from what I've read (not my own experience), Android IMAP clients eat up the battery if push is enabled.

So, with some justification, RIM has apparently put its initial efforts into handling push (IMAP and EAS) and into the EAS client. There is room for much improvement, especially for IMAP.

... and doesn't even update IMAP mail frequently (icloud,Gmail,webmail) ...
    Why would you use IMAP for gmail? Gmail accounts can also be configured as EAS ("Google Sync") and the PB experience would be much better. "Webmail" has nothing to do with IMAP.
    app_Developer likes this.
    05-27-12 06:26 AM
    But again, I am no programmer, just a user. But as a user, I know that some Adobe solutions are known to be resource hogs compared to similar solutions. So I've extrapolated this observation to Air. And I admit that I honestly don't know if what I think is correct.
    Your logic is definitely not flawed but it is not germane to the OP's point of view and just adds noise (FUD) to the thread.
    Major premise: Some Adobe solutions are resource hogs. (true)
    Minor premise: The Air runtime is an Adobe product (true)
    Minor premise: What's up is an Air app (true)
    Conclusion: What's up may be a resource hog (true)

The OP's logic is definitely flawed:
    Major premise: Air apps are dirt. (false because most are not)
    Conclusion: What's up is dirt (false)
    BB_Bmore and kennyliu like this.
    05-27-12 08:43 AM
    Your logic is definitely not flawed but it is not germane to the OP's point of view and just adds noise (FUD) to the thread.
    Major premise: Some Adobe solutions are resource hogs. (true)
    Minor premise: The Air runtime is an Adobe product (true)
    Conclusion: What's up may be a resource hog (true)

The OP's logic is definitely flawed:
    Major premise: Air apps are dirt. (false because most are not)
    Conclusion: What's up is dirt (false)
    Agree, but isn't this exactly what I said? But at the same time what I said was labeled "speculative nonsense" Whereas the same counterargument was based on a nonsensical use of unrelated examples to back the claim.

So your argument was:
    Major premise: Air and other programming languages do not affect resource intensiveness, memory footprint, etc. These are affected by what apps do (first part = probably false. I don't know. Not a programmer. Second part = true)
    Minor premise 1: Battery Guru and What's up are Air apps and Stellarium is not (at least this is what I got from your argument) ((maybe) true)
    Minor premise 2: Battery Guru and What's up are less of a resource hog compared to Stellarium (possibly true).
    Conclusion: A claim that Air may be more resource intensive than native NDK is a speculative nonsense (false. It may or may not be more resource intensive. But Minor premise 2 is definitely not a proof it is.)
    Last edited by kennyliu; 05-27-12 at 10:44 AM.
    05-27-12 10:15 AM
    I don't think air apps are crap at all. I do think basing an OS on air wasn't a good idea. Must be why bb10 will not be.
    05-27-12 10:27 AM
    I really don't see what the big deal is... its just a tablet! It's not gonna blow you! FYI: Direct all future criticisms, gripes and complaints to RIM directly, they are the only ones able to address your issues. These post are so unhelpful and if you don't want to wait for RIM and developers to get off the bums to address your concerns you can always fix the problems yourself. "If you want something done right, do it yourself!"
    That is all...
    leedium likes this.
    05-27-12 10:31 AM
    I'm going to have to agree with the OP on this one. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my PB and I'm using it now to type this reply. I love everything about it and everything it can do BUT I wish it did the things it does a bit...smoother...a bit cleaner...at bit more polished.

For example I love that the browser plays flash but I hate that when I log into the CrackBerry website the username and password fields take WAY. TOO. LONG. to reflect what I've typed. I love how it can multitask better than any other OS out there but when the browser is open everything gets laggggy. Emails come in fast and render nicely on a neat layout with the ability to tab through views, but opening the messaging app or even app world is 50 rotations of a green circle too many.

Maybe we're spoilt after seeing the power of cascades and heck, maybe these issues have nothing to do with what programming language it's in (FYI I know nuts about developing/programming). The one thing I do know is, is that the PB is the best tablet out there (for me) and can do so much...i just wish it did what it does nicer.
    05-27-12 10:37 AM
    I agree with the OP, most of us here are in denial that the PB sucks in some areas, yeah the PB suits some of our needs like others would say but that doesn't it should stop there, it could be better and it can, the PB is oozing with potential, its just that RIM for some reason is slow on tapping into that potential, yeah BB10 is on the horizon and yet it remains a promise ... a effing six month wait

Smells kind of Trollie right in this general area!
    Last edited by Willard814; 05-27-12 at 12:01 PM.
    05-27-12 10:39 AM
    I feel your pain but the apps have improved since the PlayBook came out. I would like to see them step up and try to match other apps available to other devices. They are heading in the right direction just real slow.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    05-27-12 10:58 AM
    What he said! ^^^
    05-27-12 11:50 AM
    The Playbook is actually a BETA version of BB10 OS.

BB10 will bring the finish product to the Playbook.

For now, keep reporting on any bugs that may come up.
    05-27-12 12:07 PM
    Architecture, programming and design skill are still the most important determinates of how responsive and efficient an app is.

But, having said that, with all else equal, native ARM code generated by a good C++ developer and compiler has an inherent advantage here over interpreted or virtualized code (even with a JIT). Whether or not a particular developer takes proper advantage of that capability is another story, of course.

I'm happy that RIM offers different options here. It will be interesting and fun to see how different developers push the limits of each option as the platform evolves.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 05-27-12 at 12:15 PM.
    05-27-12 12:12 PM
    Does this mean you have some issues with the pb?

If nothing else, the file system's lack of support for FOLDERS will eventually drive me to drink (more!).
    I have to agree with the FOLDERS issue, if you could rename, email, copy to files inside of bridge, balance, it would do almost everything required.

Without the availability to make changes to an attachment and then able to forward to a customer or fellow employee is the reason we have not released them in the field yet.
    Last edited by darmarat; 05-27-12 at 01:45 PM.
    05-27-12 01:38 PM
    Hey fellow playbookers!

Wow 66+ replies, glad I could start a discussion. I'll be honest, I wanted to just address the native apps built with Air, and i ended up commenting on all the frustrations I was having typing in my message so apologize for going off on a tangent. I have nothing Against AIR. It's great for cross platform stand alone apps, games, and hopefully RIM will allow devs to utilize Stage3D as its currently supported on iOS and android, and make software that is less intensive on the cpu and battery. Because AIR is so connected to the OS, upgrades to the flash platform for which rim has a license ,takes that much longer! I've been playing with several frameworks that take advantages of GPU acceleration (Starling, n2d2). And it's a shame that the PB does not support this.

With the projected layoffs I wonder if RIM should simplify their OS support for the various Sdks and focus on the future, but still allow dev sto use the current SDKs to develop standalone apps, giving devs access to native features through extensions.

Anyhow, I'm here at the bar with my PB and so far she's doing a great job!!! LOL!

PB 4 life......with cascades!!!
    Last edited by leedium; 05-27-12 at 02:43 PM.
    anon(4216152) likes this.
    05-27-12 02:33 PM
    Absolutely correct! Not a big deal on the playbook as is but by the time this hits the phones there will be no excuse for such things.

That is why I bought a 9900 instead of waiting to be honest, I want them to work out all the bugs before I take the plunge, there are just too many things I take for granted to work smoothly. I know all the menues, shortcuts, and everything, plus we don't even know if BB10 will accept a traditional device transfer.

I am used to all my emails, keyboard shortcuts, contacts, memos, tasks, passwords, and everything else following me. I don't see how they can change platforms and keep all that.
    05-28-12 12:15 AM
    Hey fellow playbookers!

Wow 66+ replies, glad I could start a discussion. I'll be honest, I wanted to just address the native apps built with Air, and i ended up commenting on all the frustrations I was having typing in my message so apologize for going off on a tangent. I have nothing Against AIR. It's great for cross platform stand alone apps, games, and hopefully RIM will allow devs to utilize Stage3D as its currently supported on iOS and android, and make software that is less intensive on the cpu and battery. Because AIR is so connected to the OS, upgrades to the flash platform for which rim has a license ,takes that much longer! I've been playing with several frameworks that take advantages of GPU acceleration (Starling, n2d2). And it's a shame that the PB does not support this.

With the projected layoffs I wonder if RIM should simplify their OS support for the various Sdks and focus on the future, but still allow dev sto use the current SDKs to develop standalone apps, giving devs access to native features through extensions.

Anyhow, I'm here at the bar with my PB and so far she's doing a great job!!! LOL!

PB 4 life......with cascades!!!
    WebWorks and Cascades will definitely stay. Not so sure about AIR for the long term since Adobe is pulling flash support on mobile devices. The one thing that is not clear is the Android runtime. I don't believe RIM will continue to support it once Native and WebWorks take off.
    05-28-12 12:59 AM
    WebWorks and Cascades will definitely stay. Not so sure about AIR for the long term since Adobe is pulling flash support on mobile devices. The one thing that is not clear is the Android runtime. I don't believe RIM will continue to support it once Native and WebWorks take off.
    I doubt it.

The last thing RIM needs is to alienate their developer community.

Some developers use only the Android runtime for their apps and to discontinue support would be automatically shutting them out.

If you were a developer and RIM took away the support for the environment you code in what are the chances you'll learn a new programming language just for RIM if other platforms still have the support you need?
    Willard814 likes this.
    05-28-12 06:50 AM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD