Help !
    I have switched on my playbook this morning and all my mp3's and ebooks have disappeared !
    I had about 6Gb of mp3's and about 500mb of ebooks. Now whenI go to the music player there are no mp3's there and when I go to my file manager only the folders remain and I have 6Gb worth more storage than I had yesterday !!
    All ebooks are also gone
    I haven't plugged it into my computer ( I never do asI alwayswirelessly transfer files to it), and I haven't had any updates to it - but I was listening to music on it yesterday so I have no idea what has happened here !!
    My videos are still there, as are my photos just no mp3's or ebooks at all
    Anyone got any clues as to what might have happened here?
    Before anyone asks I am veryIT literate ! :-)
    06-06-12 06:33 AM
    Have you tried a reboot?

Do you have any Android apps that may have messed with the filesystem? The Android player has access to the files via symbolic links. I forget the UNIX terminology, but they are hard links, so if a link gets deleted, so does the linked file.

Was there any DRM in the missing files?
    06-06-12 08:44 AM
    Hi
    I have side loaded android apps
    Tried a reboot with no joy
    None of the files were drm
    Not sure what you mean regarding the links getting deleted, do you mean have i deleted an android app? If so then a couple but non music apps. I dont understand why music and text files would just get deleted. All the files were loaded onto the playbook either by usb originally or wirelessly
    Confused !!
    06-06-12 09:00 AM
    I wild guess here, but did you sleep with your tablet?
    I do it all the time (girlfriend is understanding) and once I accidentally deleted an app or two. Wondering if the same thing happened to you too with your mp3s and ebooks. Otherwise question the toothfairy.
    06-06-12 09:08 AM
    Hi
    I have side loaded android apps
    Tried a reboot with no joy
    None of the files were drm
    Not sure what you mean regarding the links getting deleted, do you mean have i deleted an android app? If so then a couple but non music apps. I dont understand why music and text files would just get deleted. All the files were loaded onto the playbook either by usb originally or wirelessly
    Confused !!
    What I meant is the files shown in the Android player are not duplicates of the files on the PlayBook, but links to the actual files. If you delete a file in an Android app, it will also deletes that file in the PlayBook user directory. Some people have seen these files in their Android filesystem, deleted them thinking they are duplicates of the music/books/movies on the PlayBook, but they are actually just links to the real files and ended up loosing a bunch of files.

Are you on the Beta?
    06-06-12 09:16 AM
    I do fall asleep with it but not sure how all the mp3's would have gone but left all the folders and folder structure still intact thats the weird thing.
    As per the attached screenshot which shows the folders but no files

Ive deleted a few files but every single file has gone 6gb is about 1500 songs
    Beta android? Dont know how do i tell ?
    Last edited by welshyyyyy; 06-06-12 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Additional info
    06-06-12 09:30 AM
    Did you perhaps go looking around the Misc or Android folder and do anything in those folders? That's where the "symbolic" or second link to all files are located and deleting anything there could delete the real/original files.

Otherwise, I have no idea what would "automatically" delete such a selective collection of books/mp3 files.
    06-06-12 01:37 PM
    I was listening to music yesterday, today gone
    Total mystery to me !!
    Didnt do anything in those folders, as i presume theyre similar to system folders
    Im currently blaming the dog !
    Good job i have everything on my laptop, off to copy my tunes back
    06-06-12 02:05 PM
    Well, this is a perfect example of why folks should perform or have backups of files they want to keep or be able to restore. Computers - sometimes things go bump in the night (those pesky dogs!!!)
    06-06-12 04:14 PM
    If you have wireless sharing enabled and don't have the password protect option enabled, anyone on the same network that your PB is connected to could access those files and delete them. In fact, a prompt will appear warning you of this if the password protect option isn't enabled and you enable wifi sharing.
    Cracklen likes this.
    06-06-12 09:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD