Whatever you buy, as a consumer you are entitled to a reasonable expectation that the company you purchase the product from will support and upgrade the product as promised. Blackberry have failed to do this for the Playbook. Consumers have every right to complain if they did not get what they expected.
    Last time I checked, Playbooks didn't come with a document in the box that stated: "This device will be updated to a brand new super-cool OS called "Blackberry 10" on January 31 2013."

Also, in over 20 years doing I.T. professionally, I can't remember anyone ever griping that Samsung "devalued their investment" in their computer's RAM chips because Samsung lowered the price on RAM chips later.

Stop whining.
    02-02-13 08:04 PM
    Plus faster bluetooth connections for speed.
    If the bluetooth chip in the PB doesn't support BT 4.0, it's never going to support BT 4.0. It's not a software thing.
    02-02-13 08:10 PM
    Yes $699 for a 7 inch in July 2011
    for the price as a 10 inch IPad

-fool me once - shame on me
    - fool me twice - double shame on me - or just blind love
    I think George W said "fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, er, uh, We don't get fooled again."
    02-02-13 08:19 PM
    Last time I checked, Playbooks didn't come with a document in the box that stated: "This device will be updated to a brand new super-cool OS called "Blackberry 10" on January 31 2013."

Also, in over 20 years doing I.T. professionally, I can't remember anyone ever griping that Samsung "devalued their investment" in their computer's RAM chips because Samsung lowered the price on RAM chips later.

Stop whining.
    Go figure only took a year to get native e-mail on the god dam thing.
    tedescop likes this.
    02-02-13 08:21 PM
    If the bluetooth chip in the PB doesn't support BT 4.0, it's never going to support BT 4.0. It's not a software thing.
    Call me misinformed then. Someone on here a long time ago said the driver/software just needed to be upgraded.
    02-02-13 08:27 PM
    In the uk playbooks are officially outselling the equivalent size ipad mini by some way
    The UK and Canada are anomalous markets, and the iPad Mini is double the price of the Playbook so it's not really a direct competitor.

Globally, the Playbook isn't even in the top five tablet products/vendors. The statistics at the top linked page are sales estimates by IDC, the statistics at the bottom linked page are web traffic statistics compiled by the Chitika ad network:

Global tablet market share 2012 | Tablets, notebooks, smartphones news and reviews
    iPad market share seems to fall after Christmas, still dominant | CNET UK
    jcbrunson likes this.
    02-02-13 08:40 PM
    I see a lot of posts where people think they are speaking for the majority of BlackBerry owners.
    I will make this easy for you to understand. Currently, the BlackBerry PlayBook and pre-OS10 BlackBerry smartphones can connect via BlackBerry Bridge and we have grown accustomed to the features available. Now BlackBerry Z10 suddenly forces BlackBerry PlayBook users back to a state of interoperability near the original release date of April 2011. Taking away functionality is a very bad move. Team BlackBerry had almost 2 years to deliver a solid feature-complete BlackBerry OS 10. Instead we are presented with Mattel Barbie OS 36-18-36 with the reality that her former wardrobe does not fit any more because she was forced to loose 18 inches off her waistline.
    h20work, JeepBB, balding1 and 1 others like this.
    02-02-13 08:48 PM
    Great. See ya. I'm sticking with my OS2.1 which works really well. Before you go, please tell us what BB10 on Playbook will give you that you don't have now?
    The rest of Canada on a map? Sorry couldn't resist m'bay. I kid, I kid...welcome to Crackberry!
    02-02-13 08:49 PM
    No, its just not ready. Thats all
    02-02-13 08:55 PM
    Th wording makes me think more like summer/fall. If it was coming any sooner I'd think he say later this quarter, or next quarter. Or maybe he was just blowing the original twitter poster off...

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9850 using Tapatalk
    Or he could just not know for sure and we are reading too much into this...
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-02-13 08:56 PM
    Call me misinformed then. Someone on here a long time ago said the driver/software just needed to be upgraded.
    It's almost never the case that new wireless standards that entail improved or changed RF characteristics only require software or driver updates. The radios work differently.

In the case of Bluetooth 4.0, it has an all-new low-power mode that absolutely is new from a radio standpoint, and in fact that mode is not even compatible with earlier Bluetooth devices for that reason.

It's theoretically possible that the PB could have had a BT 4.0 compatible chip which did not have BT 4.0 features enabled in software/driver, but I would find that highly surprising, given that it would have been a significant selling-point for RIM to have BT 4.0, and because that would have required the PB to be among the absolute first devices to have that capability in the world. (BT 4.0 chips didn't even start shipping until early 2011. The PB was announced April 2011.)

What you do often see are other capabilities of wireless devices improved, ie firmware-dependent features like encryption standards and other features that don't require hardware support. But you're not going to get a firmware update that provides 802.11n or 5Ghz capabilities from a device whose radio only supports 802.11g or 2.4Ghz.
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-02-13 08:57 PM
    I honestly am starting to wonder why I even bother coming to this forum any more. All you people blindly supporting BB (as I always have), even in the face of loosing Bridge functionality in this so called "up grade", are friggin' SHEEP! Put down your glass of coolaid, put your thumbs back in your mouth and get a diaper change 'cause you STINK!

I bought the PB on day 1. I've been a staunch supporter. I've gotten so used to doing almost everything on my pad and not having to touch the phone. Patiently waiting for BB10 and it's expanded/improved functionality.....BUT NOOOOO!!! We get less Bridge functions (minimum, really) and nothing but vague and/or no information about the future. REALLY?

All you people (BB phone and PlayBook owners) who are NOT pissed.....I don't know what planet you're currently on, but thank goodness its NOT ALL ABOUT YOU!!!

Bottom line RIM, BBRY, who ever the **** you are now, put up or shut up! I'm very tired! Now my eyes are open and I can see why you've lost so much in the US. I guess you don't need us. We'll, don't let the door hit you in your.....brain.

Of course, that's my opinion. I could be wrong.....

MORE COFFEE!!!!

Hoot
    And your way has changed what, exactly?

02-02-13 08:57 PM
    BTW - I own an Android tablet, a Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet.

Nice device in some ways, not perfect, but definitely more than decent. It was released in August 2011, about 4 months after the original Playbook.

Lenovo upgraded the OS on it once (from 3.2 "Honeycomb" to 4.0 "Ice Cream Sandwich"), but that's pretty much it. I don't suspect there will be any more updates to that device. Lenovo is now focusing on Win8 tablets at the high-end or low-end Android tablets.

So here we have a device (the Blackberry Playbook) which was released in April 2011, the price is HALF what it was at launch (and that means half what my Lenovo tablet originally sold for) and Blackberry is still promising to update it to a vastly improved OS, the identical OS as their latest/fanciest products.

If I were you PB owners, I'd be grateful that Blackberry is still promising to update your devices. I'm tempted to buy one from craiglist because the resale value is still so cheap, just to end up with a super bargain of a BB 10 capable device at some point for less than $200.
    kae77, Vorkosigan and smallbiz like this.
    02-02-13 09:15 PM
    I wouldn't get your hopes up for a timely release on BB10 for the PlayBook. At the NYC event during the press conference with RIM, my colleague and I asked the second or third question and it was about the PlayBook and the tablet space in general. Thorsten's response was telling because he basically said that while BB10 would be coming "later this year" to the PB, he also went on at length about how BBRY views the tablet space.

My tape recorder is at the office but I'll paraphrase: "we've totally failed in the tablet market and while we know it is important to the futureof computing, we're not focusing on it now and have no plans to do more with tablets at this time."

His exact words were something like "focusing on areas where we can be competitive and profitable."

After he finished speaking, I turned to my colleague and said, "OK, so the story is BBRY is done with the tablet market." Not sure if we ever wrote it as a separate story (if we didn't, we should have) but I will probably turn it into an op-ed of sorts tomorrow or Monday about what that means for the ecosystem strategically.

Honestly, if you're not going to have really strong phone/tablet interconnectivity, I'm not sure it makes that much sense to try to do both products at the same time.

Still, for people who remained loyal to the platform, I can see why this would be a slap in the face.

If BB10 is successful, I absolutely expect BBRY to enter the tablet market again, but I also expect it to be in a product and execution that looks totally different from the PlayBook.
    Given the writedown the company formerly known as RIM took on the PlayBook inventory, I'm surprised that Thor would even discuss it in public near microphones. If I had to guess, any more future tablet talk comes after BB10 is proven as a solid seller. Once the apps and ecosystem are also solid, we should be seeing a new, renamed tablet. Hopefully it will be BB10 feature rich, separating itself from the field of other tablets. At that point, we will all know that with a new tablet "amateur hour is OVER". Sorry folks, I couldn't resist!
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-02-13 09:50 PM
    Many BB10 apps require 2 gig of ram for some reason so when this update does come it will likely be more of a BB9.5 rather than BB10.

Skype should be hitting PLAYBOOK soon though so that's some good news

Although BB10 apps are not compatible with PlayBooks Android apps on the other hand run on both devices. So when I heard Skype was coming aboard via Android I thought well this is good. As an Android port you would think that it would work on the Playbook too. Of course I could be absolutely wrong here but its something to chew on I guess.

Sent from my BlackBerry by Choice using Tapatalk
    02-02-13 09:52 PM
    I will make this easy for you to understand. Currently, the BlackBerry PlayBook and pre-OS10 BlackBerry smartphones can connect via BlackBerry Bridge and we have grown accustomed to the features available. Now BlackBerry Z10 suddenly forces BlackBerry PlayBook users back to a state of interoperability near the original release date of April 2011. Taking away functionality is a very bad move. ...
    Your response has absolutely nothing to do with my post so unless you feel you are speaking for the majority of BlackBerry owners. I don't get why you attempted to be insulting but to each his own.
    The part I don't understand is the drama...
    Those of us that will miss the functionality realize that it will return with the release of BB10 on the Playbook. Hold off on buying a Z10 until you get full Bridge functionality.
    jcbrunson likes this.
    02-02-13 09:54 PM
    "Later this year" is hella better than "Never, lol".
    balding1 likes this.
    02-02-13 10:22 PM
    Great. See ya. I'm sticking with my OS2.1 which works really well. Before you go, please tell us what BB10 on Playbook will give you that you don't have now?
    The ability to do anything with a photo other than "delete"
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-02-13 10:34 PM
    Your response has absolutely nothing to do with my post so unless you feel you are speaking for the majority of BlackBerry owners. I don't get why you attempted to be insulting but to each his own.
    The part I don't understand is the drama...
    Those of us that will miss the functionality realize that it will return with the release of BB10 on the Playbook. Hold off on buying a Z10 until you get full Bridge functionality.
    So old bb's have more functionality? Makes sense to me
    JeepBB likes this.
    02-02-13 10:37 PM
    i have insider news.. bb10 coming to pb in summer. right now bb is focusing on release of q10. then theyre building a new superphone with crazy specs. bb10 to pb in a couple months
    02-02-13 10:42 PM
    Why do people have to whinge ? Can't they just make the best of what they have. Sheesh!

BlackBerry has their hands full with the Z10/Q10 and getting them right. The PlayBook right now isn't suffering with OS 2.1 . The "want it now" mentality that permeates these forums is just juvenile and unrealistic. I wish people would GROW UP!
    02-02-13 10:50 PM
    what sort of insider do u know how can u make these statements ?? cheers
    02-02-13 11:02 PM
    Why do people have to whinge ? Can't they just make the best of what they have. Sheesh!

BlackBerry has their hands full with the Z10/Q10 and getting them right. The PlayBook right now isn't suffering with OS 2.1 . The "want it now" mentality that permeates these forums is just juvenile and unrealistic. I wish people would GROW UP!
    Kind of like the "nothings wrong" posts like yours. PB is on par as a bb as any other bb?

Screw want it now, PB is almost 2 years old since public release. Would I like to open my pictures app and multi select several photos and send them to an email like I can with my 9850? Yes.
    balding1 likes this.
    02-02-13 11:03 PM
    i have insider news.. bb10 coming to pb in summer. right now bb is focusing on release of q10. then theyre building a new superphone with crazy specs. bb10 to pb in a couple months
    K
    currygoat likes this.
    02-02-13 11:04 PM
    Hurry tweet this to BlackberryLeaks..lol
    02-02-13 11:17 PM
168 ... 34567