So old bb's have more functionality? Makes sense to me
    The functionality is limited for a few months if you buy a Z10.
    I think you'll survive.

If it was Microsoft the functionality would be gone forever.
    02-02-13 11:19 PM
    Your response has absolutely nothing to do with my post so unless you feel you are speaking for the majority of BlackBerry owners. I don't get why you attempted to be insulting but to each his own.
    The part I don't understand is the drama...
    Those of us that will miss the functionality realize that it will return with the release of BB10 on the Playbook. Hold off on buying a Z10 until you get full Bridge functionality.
    It was not my intention to insult you. Since you interpreted it as such let me apologise in good faith.

As to your comment about the missing bridge functionality returning "with the release of BB10 on the Playbook" it is clear BlackBerry dropped the ball by not ensuring backward compatibility with the BlackBerry PlayBook for the most critical integration: email, calendar, contacts.
    02-02-13 11:23 PM
    "Later this year" is hella better than "Never, lol".
    In BlackBerry parlance both could mean the same thing but we won't know until January 1, 2014.
    02-02-13 11:24 PM
    Why do people have to whinge ? Can't they just make the best of what they have. Sheesh!

BlackBerry has their hands full with the Z10/Q10 and getting them right. The PlayBook right now isn't suffering with OS 2.1 . The "want it now" mentality that permeates these forums is just juvenile and unrealistic. I wish people would GROW UP!
    The BlackBerry 10 smartphone development team is not the same as the BlackBerry 10 tablet development team. The teams should be able to work in parallel and if need be take those developers responsible for BlackBerry Bridge on the tablet and have them work the BlackBerry smartphone developers to implement the complete BlackBerry Bridge feature set for the BlackBerry 10 smartphone. I get the impression the development teams work in silos and are not allowed to talk with each other for some irrational fear about information leaks.
    Uncle Remus likes this.
    02-02-13 11:30 PM
    Maybe BlackBerry is worried that if they push bb10 to playbook it may cause playbook owners to either delay or not purchase a phone????
    because having BB10 on the PB allows them to not need a phone...
    yes they will have BB10... but not a BB10 PHONE!
    02-03-13 12:12 AM
    Ack! I'm beginning to develop a nervous tick when I hear the phrase, "Coming Soon!"
    02-03-13 12:23 AM
    Kind of like the "nothings wrong" posts like yours. PB is on par as a bb as any other bb?

Screw want it now, PB is almost 2 years old since public release. Would I like to open my pictures app and multi select several photos and send them to an email like I can with my 9850? Yes.
    And I'd like a new pony and a new car too. I deserve it, Blackberry should just give them to me.

Point is: you're not entitled to anything, any more than you're entitled to Toyota upgrading your 2-year-old Corolla to a Lexus just because it would be nice to have.

Considering all the challenges RIM/Blackberry has faced over the last couple of years, I'm personally rather impressed with the fact that they are still willing to upgrade those nearly 2-year-old devices, especially considering the profit-margin they were able to make on most of the ones they sold was dramatically less than what they envisioned when they were originally released.
    Vorkosigan and PatrickMJS like this.
    02-03-13 04:15 AM
    The BlackBerry 10 smartphone development team is not the same as the BlackBerry 10 tablet development team. [...] I get the impression the development teams work in silos and are not allowed to talk with each other for some irrational fear about information leaks.
    Source for those allegations?

Makes absolutely no sense to me, especially for a company that just fired thousands of people and is resource-constrained.
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    02-03-13 04:19 AM
    According to this, somewhere between Q1 and Q2.

02-03-13 04:30 AM
    i just bought online a playbook (found it for 179 euros, in europe)
    The hardware is still on level compared to actual tablets. The TI OMAP is pretty good even though a little bit old now, you have 64 go, a front camera of 3 mp and rear of 5MP, 1 go of ram; better screen resolution than many actual tablets (170 ppi)...

Compared to a 2012 ipad mini, it still got what it needs for example.
    BB should bring the update as soon as possible. It's important to give a new image to customers of a more reactive enterprise.

For some things, it's going in the good way : stopping BIS is a good decision. For consumers, extreme security and compression is no longer necessary. On many countries, you should pay for BIS, adding to this, not everybody wants it's data to depend on BB servers. BIS was killing BB.
    But on the other hand, bringing balance and BES, and focusing it for enterprises is good. Giving the choice is the best.
    02-03-13 04:35 AM
    According to this, somewhere between Q1 and Q2.
    good news if it's true !
    02-03-13 04:43 AM
    I don't think we will ever see OS 10 on the Playbook. Before the end of the year, they will probably come up with some excuse as to why OS 10 won't work on the Playbook. Then I believe Blackberry will release a new tablet, probably right before Christmas, and then offer current registered PB owners discounts on the Playbook successor.

If Blackberry upgrades the PB and then releases a new tablet, who will buy it? A discounted 64GB Playbook with OS 10 will be much more attractive than a newly released tablet for $500 +. Even if Blackberry stops manufacturing the PB, they will still be available through various online auctions and shops.
    02-03-13 04:45 AM
    If Thor heins gives the compagny some german philosophy, and make it behaves like some german firms, than the PB will get the update. It will be important to build quality devices and support, building on long term relahionship with customers.

In that way, bringing updates on the PB won't prevent customers from buying a PB, but in contrary gives them more confidence to buy futur BB devices. It's the same when you buy a mercedes or BMW. Those cars are of excellent quality and support, but it doesn't prevent customers from changing them when new ones arrives.
    These are some aspects that make german industry so successful but we can tell the same for toyota or apple products for instance.

If BB can mix this with the specific needs of electronic industry (reactivity, creativity...), this can be interesting
    02-03-13 05:32 AM
    Are we all ready for yet-another-broken-promise? Based on the evidence we have now, I don't believe we will ever see BB10 on the PlayBook. The only scenario in which I see it is if the PlayBook continues as a product. The only way I see the PlayBook continuing is if the QNX automotive group can demonstrate sufficient sales of a system based on PB hardware. Actually, I do see one other path; Lenovo licenses BB10 for a tablet. In that case BB would be contractually obligated to deliver BB10 for tabs.
    02-03-13 05:59 AM
    just to contribute to off topic, I also installed win 8 and gave it a good solid couple of months, now I loath it.

os2 runs great, looking forward to bb10 for the apps and skype though. skype has been a gaping hole for inter-family contact.
    02-03-13 07:16 AM
    I know someone working there and they indicated at least 6 months from now
    02-03-13 09:12 AM
    It was not my intention to insult you. Since you interpreted it as such let me apologise in good faith.

As to your comment about the missing bridge functionality returning "with the release of BB10 on the Playbook" it is clear BlackBerry dropped the ball by not ensuring backward compatibility with the BlackBerry PlayBook for the most critical integration: email, calendar, contacts.
    No problem, sorry I took it the wrong way.

December 2012 sales figures according to Wikipedia.
    80,000,000 BB Phone subscribers.
    2,000,000 Playbook owners.

Blackberry dropped the ball but it is a very small ball.
    There are relatively few Playbook owners and even fewer Playbook owners who also own a BB phone.
    Out of the Playbook owners that also own a BB phone I'll bet less than half use Bridge.
    The amount of people that already use Bridge and will upgrade to a Z10 before BB10 is released for the Playbook has got to be minuscule.
    I would venture to guess < 100,000 people worldwide. To Blackberry it is a very small number. <0.125% of their customers.

It looks like a big blunder to us forum users because we are geeks and a large percentage of us use Bridge.
    How many of us are actually going to buy a Z10 before BB10 comes to the Playbook?
    I know that is difficult to answer, especially since we have very little idea when BB10 will come to the Playbook.
    We (I) are just going by faith and common sense that BB10 on the Playbook will fix the problem. That too may be a mistake.
    02-03-13 09:41 AM
    I'm no RIM er BlackBerry water-carrier, but really? Jan 30 was about the phones, not an outdated flop of a tablet. Can't we get excited about something around here? I do want the Z10 or Q10 when it's available. And Alec and Thor have 100% confirmed that BB10 is coming... Soon! Let's focus on something positive for a while. BB10 = revenue. Revenue = employees and dev love. Employees = PlayBook love (eventually). PlayBook love = 216ppi on the next model (praying for that).
    all well and good but how could they reduce functionality of the Bridge? really that is pitiful.
    Uncle Remus, balding1 and JeepBB like this.
    02-03-13 10:20 AM
    "BlackBerry PlayBook outselling the new iPad" - two probable reasons... the first one is because of its down-to-earth price... and second would be the propaganda that current PBs will be upgraded to BB10...

I don't think that PB will outsell the new iPad without the second probable cause... and I don't think also it will still, even if it will be upgraded to BB10 but later this year...
    02-03-13 10:28 AM
    If you pick a small enough demographic you can prove almost anything with statistics.
    In my office the Playbook has outsold the iPad Mini 12:1 and all iPads combined 4:1.
    I doubt thos statistics would hold if I included the entire building.
    02-03-13 11:35 AM
    If you pick a small enough demographic you can prove almost anything with statistics.
    Maybe off-topic... but I recall my old Maths teacher showing the class a near-perfect statistical correlation between the European birth rate after WWII and the number of occupied stork nests. From that, it was easy to "prove" that storks delivered babies!
    02-03-13 11:54 AM
    os2 runs great, looking forward to bb10 for the apps and skype though
    Aren't apps for BB10 compatible with tablet Os 2 ?
    02-03-13 12:41 PM
    Can some clear up whether bridge functionality is lost when I switch to Z10 from 9810? Maybe I misread an earlier post.
    02-03-13 01:16 PM
    As far as I can make out, email still does not work properly on BB10. There's still a 30 day limit on keeping old emails, which makes it useless for me. I don't know how good the IMAP support is on it yet, but it's still broken on the PB.

Blackberry = FAIL!
    02-03-13 01:49 PM
    F#$% the BB10 update, I want a NEW PB!!
    toneytone likes this.
    02-03-13 02:00 PM
168 ... 4567