Alec just confirmed side-loading is going to be staying around:
    04-10-12 11:20 AM
    I'm cautiously optimistic on this. It means that RIM is saying that are only protecting apps from being pirated from App World, but not disabling development mode completely by encrypting the App World apps so they can't be sideloaded. I think that is completely fair.
    IMHO, if we start another round of speculation about how RIM will proceed from here, our speculation will quickly morph from "actual words used" into a "broken promises".

For the record, I have pasted the words actually used below (and there is no mention of side-loading.) Note also that there is already a method available to "side-load" unsigned apps to PB so that we can test them. This method uses a type of temporary authorization known as "debug tokens". - and this method is much more efficient than loading signed apps

We do not know how RIM is going to allow us to distribute signed apps for beta testing or even if they will. Speculation is futile and may or may not involve side-loading or it may or may not include App World enhancements. Or it may be something else. Don't speculate and you won't be disappointed. Developers worry about these things - consumers should not.

------------------------------------------

What are we doing?
    Starting with our next release of the BlackBerry PlayBook OS, we�re introducing a feature that will encrypt apps so they can only be run by the user who purchased the app.

What�s next?
    We�re working with you, our developer community, to ensure you can still quickly and easily test your apps on real hardware
    04-10-12 11:43 AM
    Alec just confirmed side-loading is going to be staying around:
    Do you have access to the complete conversation? Exactly what "is no longer an issue"? Is RIM going to continue to allow side-loading signed apps or is side-loading going to be limited to unsigned apps using debug tokens?
    04-10-12 11:51 AM
    Yes, encrypt the apps for individual use only is the way to go.
    Unique keys based on the PB's pin, or BBID etc...
    04-10-12 01:40 PM
    I'm cautiously optimistic on this. It means that RIM is saying that are only protecting apps from being pirated from App World, but not disabling development mode completely by encrypting the App World apps so they can't be sideloaded. I think that is completely fair.
    Totally agree - if this is what they are really talking about (and if so, boy did they muff delivery of that message!) I have no problem with that. I'm happy to pay for anything in App World that I decide I want, and I have no interest in pirating paid apps built for Android either.
    04-10-12 03:45 PM
    Bring it on!! Take away my sideloading freedom. I just wish they fix every single bug in OS 2.0 that some of us (i have to say this) are complaining in the forums. It's "OK" not to have Android apps (haha, Android app player is nothing but a joke) as long as I can use my PlayBook without hiccups. With that I mean, no browser crashes and no WiFi issues.

p/s: I read somewhere in the forum that goes like this: who needs apps when u can do everything in the browser. Apps are evil!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using CB App
    04-10-12 04:46 PM
    Do you have access to the complete conversation? Exactly what "is no longer an issue"? Is RIM going to continue to allow side-loading signed apps or is side-loading going to be limited to unsigned apps using debug tokens?
    The full release was posted on the front page and somewhere in the forums...

from what i gather sideloading will be DEV only... but the 'encryption' may only be for paid apps (it wasnt specified in the article)
    04-10-12 04:49 PM
    The full release was posted on the front page and somewhere in the forums...

from what i gather sideloading will be DEV only... but the 'encryption' may only be for paid apps (it wasnt specified in the article)
    What's that mean about the "free" android apps? will we be able to install them?
    04-10-12 07:03 PM
    Does this mean that when the new update comes, we will lose our side-loaded apps?

May have been asked/said before, but I'm not looking through 26 pages haha
    04-10-12 07:11 PM
    Actually, the "full" announcement is not as full as it could be. As someone asked, does this only include apps that are available from appworld, whether free or purchased?

Can "free" apps be loaded to a pb with a unique PIN (they are all unique) or will the OS update screen out any app which is not specifically associated with a pin? In other words, if one of our generous developers offers a native (or android) app and provides the bar file, can it be loaded or will the OS not allow such sideloading? And I don't mean with expiring tokens or coins or coupons. Will we still be able to load UNHINDERED free apps?
    04-10-12 08:08 PM
    Does this mean that when the new update comes, we will lose our side-loaded apps?

May have been asked/said before, but I'm not looking through 26 pages haha
    @Marauder2 - I believe it was on page 21/22 or 20/21. I just flicked back there. Maybe post 316. It seems like we may be able to keep what we have unless you have to restore from a bricked PB at some point in future.

Here is what I can gather from the threads:
    1) Sideloading was never promised by RIM to the end user.
    2) Sideloading was originally intended for developers to test their working apps on live devices.
    3) Sideloading came as nice suprise for many, including myself, who enjoyed the open ability to add apps at will.
    4) The developer community has raised its voice about their concern for piracy to RIM. RIM is trying to get more developers onboard, including some big name players. But, they have to do something to address security issues with their sideloading, due to the fact that a paid app can be instantly downloaded & sideloaded along with all the other free stuff out there. Developers want a tighter playground fence.
    5) RIM intends on removing sideloading from future OS release. It will remain available for developers by use of token and / or BBID purchase / employee number (think about a large company rolling out keyed apps for thier employees that isn't in the app store, etc.).
    6) If you have sideloaded apps prior to the upgrade they will remain there on your PB. But, if you have to wipe for any reason in future, you'll loose them.

So, to me at least, it is no suprise that this is going away. Frankly, I don't like it. Becuase I have loved every second of it. But, if it were my business, I would do the same thing. If Apple has to be jailbroken to bring the piracy - so be it, says Apple and the mass developer community. But, if Apple were to give an open door right out of the box - the developers would be up in arms. That's the reality.

Unfortunately, it seems like they gave us all a taste of crack cocaine as a freebie... :-) I for one don't want to see it go - but, I can't blame them.

I'm pretty sure some smart folks will get a hankering for it again and figure out a workaround. But, for RIM's part - it isn't going to be part of the standard issue.
    04-10-12 09:14 PM
    Actually, the "full" announcement is not as full as it could be. As someone asked, does this only include apps that are available from appworld, whether free or purchased?

Can "free" apps be loaded to a pb with a unique PIN (they are all unique) or will the OS update screen out any app which is not specifically associated with a pin? In other words, if one of our generous developers offers a native (or android) app and provides the bar file, can it be loaded or will the OS not allow such sideloading? And I don't mean with expiring tokens or coins or coupons. Will we still be able to load UNHINDERED free apps?
    For what it's worth here is my interpretation of the "clarification":

What are we doing?
    Starting with our next release of the BlackBerry PlayBook OS, we�re introducing a feature that will encrypt apps so they can only be run by the user who purchased the app.

Where in the clarification did Alec use the term "PIN"? I see the word "user" which to me means BBID. I interpret this to mean that if someone manages to isolate an encrypted bar, say from a DM backup, and then tries to sideload it his own device, the install will fail because it was encrypted with the original user's BBID. This would apply to all apps whether free or paid.

What�s next?
    We�re working with you, our developer community, to ensure you can still quickly and easily test your apps on real hardware

This statement applies to sideloading apps for testing purposes. The only thing that one can possibly read into this is that we just don't know which apps (if any) will be sideloadable by consumers. It all depends on how RIM implements this vague motherhood statement that developers will still be able to sideload their apps onto real devices.
    04-10-12 10:04 PM
    @Marauder2 - I believe it was on page 21/22 or 20/21. I just flicked back there. Maybe post 316. It seems like we may be able to keep what we have unless you have to restore from a bricked PB at some point in future.
    Thank you!!
    04-11-12 10:12 AM
    For what it's worth here is my interpretation of the "clarification":

What are we doing?
    Starting with our next release of the BlackBerry PlayBook OS, we’re introducing a feature that will encrypt apps so they can only be run by the user who purchased the app.

Where in the clarification did Alec use the term "PIN"? I see the word "user" which to me means BBID. I interpret this to mean that if someone manages to isolate an encrypted bar, say from a DM backup, and then tries to sideload it his own device, the install will fail because it was encrypted with the original user's BBID. This would apply to all apps whether free or paid.

What’s next?
    We’re working with you, our developer community, to ensure you can still quickly and easily test your apps on real hardware

This statement applies to sideloading apps for testing purposes. The only thing that one can possibly read into this is that we just don't know which apps (if any) will be sideloadable by consumers. It all depends on how RIM implements this vague motherhood statement that developers will still be able to sideload their apps onto real devices.
    Well, we will have to wait and see exactly how it all shakes out, but based on Alec's blog post and further clarifications via his twitter account in the last 24 hours. It seems pretty clear that they have decided not to remove the ability for the consumer to sideload apps, just not App World apps.
    Last edited by TBone4eva; 04-11-12 at 11:00 AM.
    04-11-12 10:55 AM
    Maybe they thought lots of peeps wouldn't take the next update.
    Still won't take the next 1, who knows maybe they'll put something in the update that will force peeps to take future updates.
    I'm paranoid on anything RIM says or does anymore.

Edit: Just read this and made me laugh about apps in The Globe & Mail

The highest-rated application in the PlayBook app marketplace is called Flashlight. It has no remarkable features – loading it simply brings up a brightly lit white screen.
    Last edited by balding1; 04-11-12 at 11:23 AM.
    04-11-12 11:10 AM
    Ahh,,,it's my product. I paid the bucks for it.

Would you be so willing to allow Microsoft to restrict software for your PC? You had to buy all your PC software from MS? What's the difference?

Tim
    YOU can't compare the Playbook to Microsoft, both are very different. Microsoft doesn't make the hardware they only make the OS. When you bought your Playbook you bought the hardware not the OS.

Piracy is illegal all around the world, to even behave the way you are suggests you have not respect for the people who develop the software thus you would rather steal it.

Show some respect!

Andrew
    04-27-12 12:32 PM
    I know, I hate piracy of paid apps. I'd rather buy them if they're offered in appworld when I have the funds. Stealing isn't right. I hope rim does enable encryption to prevent it from happening and if they already did, GOOD!!!

YOU can't compare the Playbook to Microsoft, both are very different. Microsoft doesn't make the hardware they only make the OS. When you bought your Playbook you bought the hardware not the OS.

Piracy is illegal all around the world, to even behave the way you are suggests you have not respect for the people who develop the software thus you would rather steal it.

Show some respect!

Andrew
    04-27-12 02:49 PM
    I know, I hate piracy of paid apps. I'd rather buy them if they're offered in appworld when I have the funds. Stealing isn't right. I hope rim does enable encryption to prevent it from happening and if they already did, GOOD!!!
    To be honest I can't wait for RIM to only make side loading available to its developers and not to it's end users. This way threads like this wouldn't really exist!

If users want their apps for free then they obviously are using the wrong product.
    04-27-12 02:54 PM
    To be honest I can't wait for RIM to only make side loading available to its developers and not to it's end users. This way threads like this wouldn't really exist!

If users want their apps for free then they obviously are using the wrong product.
    Then we'll see a dramatic spike in the number of BlackBerry Vendor applications
    04-27-12 03:20 PM
394 ... 141516
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD