Strictly for my personal use, this would kind of suck. Pulse Newsreader is one of my favourite apps for mobile devices (for personal use and work use), and the only way I can run it is through sideloading. I appreciate the concerns as far as app development, and people installing pirated apps... but for the general users who are only sideloading free apps to get basic functionality they need it would suck. And we might have a very long wait for Playbook versions.
    FF22 likes this.
    04-07-12 03:28 PM
    id be happy to watch sideloading and android disappear from the playbook as long as App World can provide us with decent cheap apps

also ive just noticed that you cant have 2 Android apps open at the same time

i want my PlayBook to not have to rely any other platforms and i want Android and Apple users to be jealous of what great apps we have lol
    04-07-12 03:38 PM
    Just read the front page article here on this.

Spin spin spin and more spin.

CB is now a wholly owned division of RIM.

No matter how you cut it, now matter how you spin it, no matter how brain
    damaged you may be, CB is spinning to the favor of RIM on this.

Right now CB is looking worse in this area. While other blods and website are posting what the user feels, CB is printing things to protect a company that does one thing after another to tick off the customer.

If RIM does not find a replacement for sideloading you can count on the BB10 phones loosing the ability to download apps directly from the source and only via App World.

CB needs to tell the truth, good or bad. Right now its just one big fanboy club.

I said Waterloo was going to have a long hard winter and it is coming to pass.

A long cold winter will be in store for CB if they do not stop this RIM a$$ kissing
    and start siding with the users when RIM does something stupid or wrong. We do not need a company shill for RIM in CB. Otherwise what is happening to RIM will creep over and start affecting CB.

All I ask is CB tell the trueth..But that had been lacking here for sometime.

You might fool the noobs, but those that have been around more than a few months see it and do not like it.

Telling RIM they are doing fine on a matter when it is clearly a mistake is way over the top and does more harm then good
    to RIM and us, YOUR CUSTOMERS!

Tim
    Last edited by trsbbs; 04-07-12 at 05:14 PM.
    Michel Souris likes this.
    04-07-12 05:09 PM
    Folks, you made MS allow other web browsers many years ago.

What the he11 is the difference here?

If MS came out with a software store and you could only buy your software from said store you all would raise he11 over it.

Whats the difference?!?!?!?!

Geesh.....

Tim
    04-07-12 05:17 PM

Right now CB is looking worse in this area. While other blods and website are posting what the user feels, CB is printing things to protect a company that does one thing after another to tick off the customer.

Telling RIM they are doing fine on a matter when it is clearly a mistake is way over the top and does more harm then good

Tim
    Tim you need to learn 2 read - bottom of the web page says this.

The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of Research in Motion Limited.
    CrackBerry.com is in No Way Affiliated with Research in Motion Limited.
    We take pride in our unbiased content, however do occasionally receive free product from vendors that we review or discuss
    04-07-12 05:18 PM
    I have been disappointed with almost all the sideload android apps I installed. Most of them 'think' I have an android PHONE and try to access Phone Sd card or memory.
    For those who believe android tabletz are better for them, then please enjoy them.
    As for me, as long as more apps are put in appWorld, both android and BB PB, then I am pleazd with what I have. That being said, if a WORKING Skype with video is available for side load, then I would jump on it.
    Wow, talking about back peddling.

If they do ban sideloading you wouldnt be able to sideload it!

For or against...Simple.

Loosing freedom and options is always bad folks. Grow a pair!

Remember, what they do now comes to your phone later on!

Tim
    04-07-12 05:21 PM
    Wow, talking about back peddling.

If they do ban sideloading you wouldnt be able to sideload it!

For or against...Simple.

Loosing freedom and options is always bad folks. Grow a pair!

Remember, what they do now comes to your phone later on!

Tim
    Sideloading allows people to put apps on the PlayBook, apps whose developers never intended for their apps to be on the PlayBook.
    That is not always legal. That is not right.
    Its nothing to do with 'growing a pair' or 'standing up'.
    Its being sensible, and grown up.
    You need to chill out.
    Flexin and narci like this.
    04-07-12 05:48 PM
    If the app is in the approved center at a price the consumer is willing to pay, sideloading for the majority of users is of no use. A user should also be allowed to formulate an opinion in full without it being considered back peddling. One should also be allowed to change their mind if shown a better path.
    04-07-12 05:56 PM
    Okay, for one, I don't care about sideloading. Two, if you want to keep sideloading, ignore the update. Don't update the playbook tablet software, then you can continue to sideload. Right? That's how to do it.

You could also save a copy of the current playbook tablet os software on your computer to locally reload it if needed so you can STILL sideload anything.

I expect dingleberry to find a way around it. I wouldn't be surprised if they did. I think RIM is actively encouraging people to develope native applications. I WANT that. I WANT to see that happen. Don't you? Why do much negativity, you've got to look on the bright side.
    Flexin likes this.
    04-07-12 06:24 PM
    I have exchanging a number of private tweets with this yahoo. He basically called out the Good e-Reader APP store as one of the factors to remove sideloading. He said many app developers will not develop for the playbook as long as the Android Emulator and Sideloading apps is possible. Like any major developer will forgo IOS and Android to develop for RIM. They're better off doing Mango or Meego.

I wrote a bit about it here - RIM to Remove the Ability to Sideload Android Apps on the Playbook | Good E-Reader - ebook Reader and Tablet PC News
    04-07-12 06:53 PM

If RIM does not find a replacement for sideloading you can count on the BB10 phones loosing the ability to download apps directly from the source and only via App World.

CB needs to tell the truth, good or bad. Right now its just one big fanboy club.

I said Waterloo was going to have a long hard winter and it is coming to pass.

A long cold winter will be in store for CB if they do not stop this RIM a$$ kissing
    and start siding with the users when RIM does something stupid or wrong. We do not need a company shill for RIM in CB. Otherwise what is happening to RIM will creep over and start affecting CB.

All I ask is CB tell the trueth..But that had been lacking here for sometime.

You might fool the noobs, but those that have been around more than a few months see it and do not like it.

Tim
    I am a customer. I don't want side loading. I want native apps. I think the Android player is good for a short time. It gives a boost in apps but these are not perfect. Using Android apps will not save the PlayBook, BB10 or Rim. What other app store does iOS allow you to use? I could be wrong but I believe its just there store. What about Android. Can you take an Android product and use the Apple app store.

James
    Toodeurep likes this.
    04-07-12 07:04 PM
    Folks, you made MS allow other web browsers many years ago.

What the he11 is the difference here?

If MS came out with a software store and you could only buy your software from said store you all would raise he11 over it.

Whats the difference?!?!?!?!

Geesh.....

Tim
    I don't use it but I have the native browser and Simple Browser. So it isn't any different.

When you buy software for Windows you are buying a product made for windows. Yes you have multiple places to buy software from but mobile devices and apps are run different.

Gaming systems are just like the mobile devices.

Why are people trying to compare it to computer software? This is a different business.

James
    04-07-12 07:10 PM
    I have exchanging a number of private tweets with this yahoo. He basically called out the Good e-Reader APP store as one of the factors to remove sideloading. He said many app developers will not develop for the playbook as long as the Android Emulator and Sideloading apps is possible. Like any major developer will forgo IOS and Android to develop for RIM. They're better off doing Mango or Meego.

I wrote a bit about it here - RIM to Remove the Ability to Sideload Android Apps on the Playbook | Good E-Reader - ebook Reader and Tablet PC News
    I read your blog and you haven't explained why your store is required. Why aren't the authors of the free apps that you are distributing on their behalf not converting the apps themselves? Why do you have to take the law into your own hands and do the job for them? What has RIM not done to encourage more Android developers to take the leap of faith?

Edit: Aren't you concerned that authors of paid apps who choose, for whatever reason, not to participate in App World are a bit annoyed that third-parties (not you, of course) can just ignore their distribution rights by self-signing their work? Isn't this piracy even if you think that free apps are fair game? Why should RIM allow this to continue?
    Last edited by BuzzStarField; 04-07-12 at 07:29 PM.
    sagec, narci and bobauckland like this.
    04-07-12 07:11 PM
    After reading your article, it sounds like you got your feelings hurt a bit. You said above that he "basically" called out the Good E Reader store but in your article you word it completely differently. Doesn't matter anyway, they may have to adjust their philosophy based upon what the devs want. People do have the right to change their mind. Unless of course you think they are lying...
    sagec likes this.
    04-07-12 07:19 PM
    I could care less about RIMS motivations. Our app store helps people living outside the USA and Canada. App World has many restrictions in place such as geolocation. Our apps are a boon to anyone living outside of RIMS little bubble world.
    Marshall91 likes this.
    04-07-12 07:29 PM
    Okay, for one, I don't care about sideloading. Two, if you want to keep sideloading, ignore the update. Don't update the playbook tablet software, then you can continue to sideload. Right? That's how to do it.

You could also save a copy of the current playbook tablet os software on your computer to locally reload it if needed so you can STILL sideload anything.

I expect dingleberry to find a way around it. I wouldn't be surprised if they did. I think RIM is actively encouraging people to develope native applications. I WANT that. I WANT to see that happen.Don't you? Why do much negativity, you've got to look on the bright side.
    Of course we all want that to happen. But it is happening at an absolute snails pace. If people can't run what they want to run on the Playbook, then people aren't going to use it. That obviously will make the situation even worse. When you can't run apps that are available on every other platform, and it doesn't appear they are going to be available anytime soon it's frustrating. I like the Playbook a lot and want to keep using it... but I need to be able to run certain apps for that. The problem is, there doesn't really appear to be a bright side coming anytime soon as far as apps go. So it's kind of tough to be positive about it.
    04-07-12 07:36 PM
    Blah Blah .. Saunders as with most at RIM dont know whats going on from day to day. I suggest he lay low and just chill. Jobs is hard to come by these days...
    balding1 likes this.
    04-07-12 07:42 PM
    I could care less about RIMS motivations. Our app store helps people living outside the USA and Canada. App World has many restrictions in place such as geolocation. Our apps are a boon to anyone living outside of RIMS little bubble world.
    You haven't convinced me that you store is a boon to developers (whose rights you tend to ignore.) Neither have you convinced me that your store is a boon to consumers except those who wish to ignore developers' rights. Which specific regions are prevented from accessing apps with geolocation? My app has geolocation and is sold in all regions. And I believe that there are alternatives for consumers in non-0supported regions, one of which is using proxy servers. Proxies allow you to avoid RIM's bubble and do not infringe on developers' IP rights.
    narci likes this.
    04-07-12 07:57 PM
    I don't care to convince the likes of you or anyone else. I am more concerned with RIM staff being trained to hype the android emulator at CES and many other conferences, only to remover it after they sold a limited number of tablets.

My thread for app requests has over 1000 replies/app requests. My store is focused on people who use this forum and ask for apps to be converted. The whole reason our company started the Playbook app section was because App World is abysmal. At least our app quality surpasses App World in this regard.
    balding1 likes this.
    04-07-12 08:25 PM
    If they mess up my Kindle app, just won't install the new os. Glaciers move faster than the BlackBerry app store. Just not convinced we'll see Kindle, Skype or any of the other must have apps any time soon.
    04-07-12 08:26 PM
    The arguments advocating for the rights of developers who have clearly chosen to neglect our community are a bit nonsensical to me. If they made their apps available in Appworld I would happily get them from there. For goodness sake, I would pay for them happily. But they aren't there. You can't blame Koz for that. His store is a reaction to the lack of apps/support, not a reason for it.
    DAnklaud and kozmonaut like this.
    04-07-12 08:38 PM
    Most of the things I use frequently on the Playbook are sideloaded Android apps. Because Android developers are NOT converting for the Android player and are NOT developing for QNX. All of what I have are free and legal. The new keyboard and maybe one or two other apps would make it perfect for me. Take away what I already have, which includes free apps with my paid subscriptions and free apps with resources I've paid for, what's left? If I lose all of that and the ability to update, I might as well take a loss on the Playbook and keyboard and buy a tablet and keyboard that will support the things I enjoy and the things I need to do.

Right now, RIM has me wondering about the keyboard pre-order. Soon, that's likely to include what my next tablet and phone are going to be. I have no intention of being held captive to a platform because I own a phone and tablet. I left Netflix because they decided they had a captive audience they could mess with. That was a 2,000,000 drain of customers in one month. I wonder what RIM would do with that kind of loss?
    solomon_grundy likes this.
    04-07-12 08:46 PM
    I don't care to convince the likes of you or anyone else. I am more concerned with RIM staff being trained to hype the android emulator at CES and many other conferences, only to remover it after they sold a limited number of tablets.

My thread for app requests has over 1000 replies/app requests. My store is focused on people who use this forum and ask for apps to be converted. The whole reason our company started the Playbook app section was because App World is abysmal. At least our app quality surpasses App World in this regard.
    I guess you have an advantage over App World. You don't have to be concerned about anyone's priorities except your own desire to offer apps to your clients. RIM, unfortunately has to be concerned about the sources of the products that they sell. They also have to be concerned about cultivating a relationship of trust with developers of the products that they offer to the public.

It should come as no surprise to you that RIM would eventually close some loopholes that encourage some people (not you) to open clandestine stores offering paid android apps conveniently converted to PB format and signed using RIM's SDK tools. If you take the time to read the terms and conditions of the SDK licensing agreement, you will see that 3rd party re-packaging has never been sanctioned and that the tools are restricted to developers only. It is made very clear that anyone using the tools must own the IP rights to the contents of the bar file that they sign.

There are also many other stores offering our native apps for free downloads as well. I myself have reported this to RIM - I'm sorry if it inconvenienced you but I felt that it was necessary. Obviously I was not the only developer to write an email or two. All of these stores that were offering my app were also offering Angry Birds and other major titles. Piracy and RIM openness to 3rd party sideloading is causing credibility problems for RIM and is, in fact, causing some real concerns among professional developers.

RIM has made a calculation that action was required at this time. Time will tell if they have made another stupid mistake by alienating consumers or if developers will respond positively to these developments. I have a lot of empathy with your point of view but I think that they are doing the right thing. We can agree to disagree but we should not be surprised at the outcome.
    polomint and narci like this.
    04-07-12 09:39 PM
    I guess you have an advantage over App World. You don't have to be concerned about anyone's priorities except your own desire to offer apps to your clients. RIM, unfortunately has to be concerned about the sources of the products that they sell. They also have to be concerned about cultivating a relationship of trust with developers of the products that they offer to the public.

It should come as no surprise to you that RIM would eventually close some loopholes that encourage some people (not you) to open clandestine stores offering paid android apps conveniently converted to PB format and signed using RIM's SDK tools. If you take the time to read the terms and conditions of the SDK licensing agreement, you will see that 3rd party re-packaging has never been sanctioned and that the tools are restricted to developers only. It is made very clear that anyone using the tools must own the IP rights to the contents of the bar file that they sign.

There are also many other stores offering our native apps for free downloads as well. I myself have reported this to RIM - I'm sorry if it inconvenienced you but I felt that it was necessary. Obviously I was not the only developer to write an email or two. All of these stores that were offering my app were also offering Angry Birds and other major titles. Piracy and RIM openness to 3rd party sideloading is causing credibility problems for RIM and is, in fact, causing some real concerns among professional developers.

RIM has made a calculation that action was required at this time. Time will tell if they have made another stupid mistake by alienating consumers or if developers will respond positively to these developments. I have a lot of empathy with your point of view but I think that they are doing the right thing. We can agree to disagree but we should not be surprised at the outcome.
    I appreciate your view, but if they haven't shown any interest yet, it's hard to imagine this change will have much of an effect. Any developers I have ever communicated with regarding Playbook version of the apps, or even converting android versions have shown no interest whatsoever. They didn't even try to appease by answering that it could be a possibility in the future. They just flat out say no.
    04-07-12 10:14 PM
    Koz does a great service to the PB owners. The apps he converts are only the free ones, they fill a need that the developers themselves and RIM do not, and there are no clients -- Koz isn't making money off this.

Here we are with PB OS 2.0 and still developers don't see developers like Pandora, SiriusXM, Olive Tree, Sugarsync, Dropbox, Pageonce, etc. seeing the PB as being cost effective to program for or repackage their Android apps for. You can say they won't if there are unofficial sideloads. But those wouldn't be needed if authorized and tested versions were actually available, native or otherwise. What happens when you screw the customer is that you start to hemorrhage customers, much like Netflix did. Except Netflix started from a point of strength. I'm not sure RIM has that same ability to take the same kind of loss without making BB10 and QNX too small a user base to make it no longer worthwhile for developers -- even for paid apps.

The big ad thing was "Tools Not Toys", but most of what's eliminated by halting sideloads are the tools that make the Playbook useful. We know Google isn't going to support a small Android competitor. The only way to get their stuff onto the Playbook is through sideloaded .bar files. RIM needs to push developers to support its userbase or leave sideloading in the mix.
    04-07-12 10:31 PM
394 ... 910111213 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD