Welcome to the CrackBerry Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 394
Like Tree189Likes
  1. ad19's Avatar
    CrackBerry Master

    Posts
    1,056 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,058 Global Posts
    Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  

    Default Alec Saunders hints sideloading wont be possible in the future

    See the tweet below, but Alec Saunders basically informed us that in future versions, sideloading apps wont be an option on the playbook. I for one would be very disappointed if this happened. Most of the android apps that I actually use are sideloaded.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Alec Saunders hints sideloading wont be possible in the future-tweet.jpg  
    Last edited by ad19; 04-04-2012 at 03:15 PM.
    Thanked by:
    KermEd (04-08-2012) 
  2. SumthinNew's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    549 Posts
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    #2  

    Default

    Your title says "side loading won't be possible"
    But the contents of your post says "sideloading apps will be an option on the playbook"?
    Last edited by SumthinNew; 04-04-2012 at 04:05 PM.
    artie likes this.
  3. r0v3rT3N's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,866 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,874 Global Posts
    #3  

    Default

    This is better for the eco-systems, this is a reason developers aren't developing. They think somebody will be able to get their application, officially without the use of distributors. (E.g App-World, Google Play, etc...) This is what we are doing with side-loading...

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using the CrackBerry Forums Application
    Check out my app: CChecker
  4. #4  

    Default

    Not surprising. There will be "side loading" still possible because that is how the devs load apps to their PB to test. My guess is you will have to have certain tokens and what not though to do this in the future. This will help with all the pirating going on for sure though. Interesting to see just how they handle it.
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
  5. ak1229's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    61 Posts
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    #5  

    Default

    You guys do realize this will kill the way we get most android apps working with android player..

    The only reason people have been using kindle, word with friends etc. is sideloading
    Thanked by:
    yanicmb (04-04-2012) 
    yanicmb likes this.
  6. r0v3rT3N's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,866 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,874 Global Posts
    #6  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howarmat View Post
    Not surprising. There will be "side loading" still possible because that is how the devs load apps to their PB to test. My guess is you will have to have certain tokens and what not though to do this in the future. This will help with all the pirating going on for sure though. Interesting to see just how they handle it.
    Agreed, they have some creative dev's there, hopefully they do it well and it doesn't stop anything else from working.

    Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using the CrackBerry Forums Application
    Check out my app: CChecker
  7. robsteve's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    3,529 Posts
    #7  

    Default

    For the legitimate loading of Apps, other than from AppWorld, I would guess the commercial/business users will be able to push the apps to the PlayBook.
  8. balding1's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    573 Posts
    #8  

    Default

    If they stop the sideloading will skip the update since my PB basically is just a toy for me anyway.
  9. Foreverup's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,842 Posts
    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robsteve View Post
    For the legitimate loading of Apps, other than from AppWorld, I would guess the commercial/business users will be able to push the apps to the PlayBook.

    RIM has stated that pushing certain business apps will be handled through app world also.

    I would assume if a company makes an app for their employees there will be a way of sidestepping the approval process through RIM, probably through BES or Mobile Fusion or Balance.
  10. bobauckland's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,230 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,237 Global Posts
    #10  

    Default

    Makes sense.
    Most of the people who think the Android player brought decent apps were sideloading apps.
    Most of the apps loaded in that way are not being legally used or loaded.
    RIM can't be seen to be encouraging that or it will ruin their relationships with developers even more.
    Thing is, without side loading apps, the Android player is pretty useless.
    Someone will have to realise the whole Android player was a waste of time and money, that would have been better spent on getting developers to make good quality native apps to take full advantage of the OS, multitasking, etc.
    Intergalactic superhero... Powers stronger around a red sun...
    mandony likes this.
  11. r0v3rT3N's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    2,866 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,874 Global Posts
    #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robsteve View Post
    For the legitimate loading of Apps, other than from AppWorld, I would guess the commercial/business users will be able to push the apps to the PlayBook.
    Have you seen the video of how companies can put enterprise applications, in PlayBook app-world.


    Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using the CrackBerry Forums Application
    Check out my app: CChecker
  12. DAnklaud's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    294 Posts
    PIN
    can be found in the hay stack(if you don't feel like looking,just PM me)
    #12  

    Default

    When they blocked rooting i lost usb host for mem sticks (30% use of my playbook was lost to me), now with this i will loose another 40-50% of FREE and LEGAL andro apps i use for tools, I refuse to jump ship but they are making me "walk the plank" with this behavior. As for the slogan "we need tools not toys" , they're doing a great job of turning my "workbook" into just a "play"book. If there is a way to make them understand that this "mobile computing platform"they call the playbook is being turned into an over-sized iPOD with LESS capability ( i own an iPOD for comparision), please do or they will and are there own demise (please dont let this happen RIM, i wanna stay ON-SHIP, because I realy do need a TOOL , not another toy)
    Thanked by:
    meyerink (04-08-2012) 
  13. Foreverup's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius

    Posts
    1,842 Posts
    #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DAnklaud View Post
    When they blocked rooting i lost usb host for mem sticks (30% use of my playbook was lost to me), now with this i will loose another 40-50% of FREE and LEGAL andro apps i use for tools, I refuse to jump ship but they are making me "walk the plank" with this behavior. As for the slogan "we need tools not toys" , they're doing a great job of turning my "workbook" into just a "play"book. If there is a way to make them understand that this "mobile computing platform"they call the playbook is being turned into an over-sized iPOD with LESS capability ( i own an iPOD for comparision), please do or they will and are there own demise (please dont let this happen RIM, i wanna stay ON-SHIP, because I realy do need a TOOL , not another toy)
    Why would you say "this type of behavior"???

    This kills me when i see this stuff in the rooting forum and on other blogs, people saying that I RIM is killing their own brand cause of this stuff. RIM doesn't want their devices rooted and sideloading was intended for app developers. Why does everyone feel they need to take someones app and use anyway they see fit. People should quit feeling entitled and take the time to get people to email the developers and ask for the app to be ported over to the playbook.

    OK my rants done, please know danklaud that really wasn't about you. and i do feel for ya if you are losing some functionality to your playbook.
    Thanked by 5:
    bbfan1040 (04-05-2012),  DAnklaud (04-04-2012),  mandony (04-07-2012),  QuIcKsIlV3r (04-05-2012),  rshew (04-04-2012) 
  14. Magnesus's Avatar
    CrackBerry User

    Posts
    49 Posts
    Global Posts
    52 Global Posts
    #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by r0v3rT3N View Post
    This is better for the eco-systems, this is a reason developers aren't developing
    As a developer I think it's bad for eco-system because it's another problem to the developer wanting to quickly test things (especially while working on many devices). I often put my Android apps on Dropbox to quickly test it on all my Android devices without connecting every one of them. Without sideloading it would be pain in the you-know-what. But I'm only a small developer, I don't know what others think.
    Thanked by:
    Gerii (04-05-2012) 
    KermEd and mithrazor like this.
  15. SumthinNew's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    549 Posts
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    #15  

    Default

    Unless RIM can convince devs and help speed up the process of porting android apps and the likes to the PB, they stand no chance in this market (both smartphone and tab) and when/if they disable side loading (which is somewhat the one form of freedom); good luck on moving 500K units in the future!

    Simply reading the many posts on many forums and talking to many different device users...it simply comes to availability of apps, more apps and lots of apps.
    This is no longer a business market in which RIM had the upper hand (many years ago), it is a full blown consumer market.
    elbo likes this.
  16. conix67's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    857 Posts
    #16  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magnesus View Post
    As a developer I think it's bad for eco-system because it's another problem to the developer wanting to quickly test things (especially while working on many devices). I often put my Android apps on Dropbox to quickly test it on all my Android devices without connecting every one of them. Without sideloading it would be pain in the you-know-what. But I'm only a small developer, I don't know what others think.
    Yes, it should be made for developers, but only for developers.

    I do use a number of applications side loaded (including Kindle) that I would hate to go, but side loading should not be allowed to general public. It's ok as long as the apps selection on App World gets better and people won't need to resort to side loading capability to find apps they need.

    Regardless, side loading capability is not good for a healthy ecosystem. If all people are honest, it won't be an issue but the reality is different.
    Thachoc1 likes this.
  17. DAnklaud's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    294 Posts
    PIN
    can be found in the hay stack(if you don't feel like looking,just PM me)
    #17  

    Default

    Surprisingly ,I highly agree with your "rant". The playbook has All the necessary drivers and scripts for USB host , just not activated ( my only reason to root , which i didn't want to do in the first place due to security compromise) but easily fixed by RIM, as for the andro apps , i know its Fully possible to write those same apps in native C/C++( i just picked up C/C++ for dummys so i can remedy this my self as i figure no one else will, "if you want something done right do it your self" as the saying goes) but that is a from now till later senario with deprivation in between, with this said i am hopefull I will have a Workbook that is ALL native/no andro with USB working (i wont let go of my Workbook,not willing to, saddly many others are or are just being lippy about it and this is what i meant of the hurt to RIM)
    mpcook and ambarmetta like this.
  18. TBone4eva's Avatar
    CrackBerry Addict

    Posts
    882 Posts
    Global Posts
    884 Global Posts
    #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by conix67 View Post
    Yes, it should be made for developers, but only for developers.

    I do use a number of applications side loaded (including Kindle) that I would hate to go, but side loading should not be allowed to general public. It's ok as long as the apps selection on App World gets better and people won't need to resort to side loading capability to find apps they need.

    Regardless, side loading capability is not good for a healthy ecosystem. If all people are honest, it won't be an issue but the reality is different.
    Well, just remember that what they do to the PB will eventually extend to BB10 phones as well. Imagine all of those AT&T customers being unable to download rroyy's altered Bridge files so they don't have to pay a tethering fee that no other carrier charges or not being able to download an app like Trapster because a congressman doesn't think you have the right to know where DUI trap is located. You're talking about being completely dependent on RIM for what apps are available to you when we've never had that limitation.
  19. #19  

    Default

    He tweeted some more about it and pointed out exactly what was mentioned above about piracy. Its still to be seen what they will actually do to lock people out of doing it though.
    ~Matt
    Nexus 5, Z10 LE, White Lumia 521, 32GB Nook HD+ & 16GB PB, 32 GB Dell Venue 8 Pro
    @howarmat
  20. DrWormBoy's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    108 Posts
    #20  

    Default

    i don't get how sideloading hurts developers and stops them from making apps for playbook. If anything it should encourage them to make it for the playbook so that we do not have to sideload. They are not loosing business if they don't make a playbook app in the first place.


    Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
  21. aazidane's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    193 Posts
    #21  

    Default

    no sideloading .....android here i come!
    phonegeek#AC likes this.
  22. kbz1960's Avatar
    Doesn't Matter

    Posts
    67,871 Posts
    Global Posts
    68,026 Global Posts
    #22  

    Default

    While yes a lot only do the free open source apps some are doing the paid apps somehow while other have submitted apps to app world that wasn't theirs.

    There will be ways for real developers to do what they need to.
    Sent from me using my fingers. Be pantless in 5K. Febreze - for more than smells.
    the 50K CrackBerry challenge
    Posted from my phone or pc or tablet that are no better than anyone else's
  23. nievz's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    216 Posts
    #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by howarmat View Post
    He tweeted some more about it and pointed out exactly what was mentioned above about piracy. Its still to be seen what they will actually do to lock people out of doing it though.
    it's real Native New Games/ Apps For Playbook OS 2.0 | AndroBerry
  24. Michel Souris's Avatar
    CrackBerry Abuser

    Posts
    295 Posts
    #24  

    Default

    It's only with sideloading that the PB has gained any real functionality, and become fun to use. I've never struggled with my Android tablet which has worked beautifully out of the box, with good email (not the crippled RIM implementation), 10's of thousands of great apps, no crashing, speed and smoothness of operation. If I had to go back to no sideloading, it'll be Android all the way. And I'll be lucky at that point to get $50 for my PB.
    At it's best the PB has, even with sideloading, only about 80% of Android functionality, which is a pity as the hardware is nice, better than my Acer - but it doesn't perform as well.
  25. peter9477's Avatar
    CrackBerry Genius of Geniuses

    Posts
    5,216 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,218 Global Posts
    #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magnesus View Post
    As a developer I think it's bad for eco-system because it's another problem to the developer wanting to quickly test things (especially while working on many devices). .... Without sideloading it would be pain in the you-know-what.
    Don't assume that "preventing sideloading" will significantly impact what you can do as a developer. You'll still be able to sideload your development (unsigned) apps using debug tokens, and that can hardly be made quicker or easier. What will be prevented is people sideloading signed apps which are not distributed through App World. (And many of us believe they will have additional support for beta-testing even signed apps through App World, but in a fashion controlled by the developers, maybe with a PIN whitelist or something like that.)

    Quote Originally Posted by canadiandaytona View Post
    i don't get how sideloading hurts developers and stops them from making apps for playbook. If anything it should encourage them to make it for the playbook so that we do not have to sideload. They are not loosing business if they don't make a playbook app in the first place.
    You seem to be thinking sideloading refers only to Android apps but that's not the case. The problem is that as long as sideloading can freely be done by anyone, native PlayBook apps can be pirated with effectively no effort at all. There are many leading PlayBook apps which have lost probably thousands of dollars in sales because of piracy, and RIM is taking steps to help protect their developers from that.
    Battery Guru for BB10 tracks voltage, power, battery health. (Also on the PlayBook.) White Noise helps you sleep or concentrate.
    Follow us on Twitter or Facebook or visit Engenuity's mobile apps page.
    Thanked by 5:
    ambarmetta (04-04-2012),  conix67 (04-04-2012),  kbz1960 (04-04-2012),  polytope (04-05-2012),  rjedge54 (04-04-2012) 
Page 1 of 16 123411 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions