What's interesting about "Airplane Mode" is that when electronics are supposed to be off, that includes "airplane mode", and crews are very clear about it - off not in airplane mode.

Now, of course, WiFi is available on many flights, so clearly WiFi is okay on planes - which makes "airplane mode" not really "airplane mode". Only bluetooth/radio off would truly be "airplane mode" now.
    07-19-11 08:52 AM
    my point exactly, we knew last week was a .1 update, so why all the moaning now.

as for email and other stuff, i guarantee you that they cannot put that on the PlayBook until it has passed FIPS certification, even if its ready right now today, so possibly not every holdup is under RIM`s control.

The problem isn't that it's a .1 update, but rather that they made us wait a month for a .1 update.

If RIM kept the update schedule at every two weeks, like they said they would, this would have been a decent update.
    07-19-11 08:56 AM
    Don't hate the player, hate the game, lol. I agree that it's not that hard to turn off the connections, but Apple popularized "Airplane Mode", so that's what people look for now. In any case, if you're on a plane you are supposed to turn off ALL wireless radios, which include Wifi and BT, when instructed by the flight crew.
    But you can turn them on when back in the air when they say you may now use your electronic devices. Delta has Wifi on a lot of their planes now so Airplane Mode to me is radio functionality.
    07-19-11 08:59 AM
    But you can turn them on when back in the air when they say you may now use your electronic devices. Delta has Wifi on a lot of their planes now so Airplane Mode to me is radio functionality.
    I understand. It's not really useful until the 3g/4g PBs are released, but I'm sure there were some people out there going, where is the Airplane Mode?
    07-19-11 09:21 AM
    Airplane Mode code could have been written in the first OS release and would not have taken more than a couple of hours to write. It's just a shortcut really.
    Last edited by Matt J; 07-19-11 at 09:40 AM.
    07-19-11 09:34 AM
    I was already where you are in mind. Last update. RIM has failed and not listened to their masses once again.

Airplane mode and app delete. Really? Waiting this long and that is all? I am going to buy the ASUS EEE Transformer today to pacify my need for a more functional system.

I will come back when they do something with this thing. Unless it sells or I break it out of frustration first.
    07-19-11 09:41 AM
    I was already where you are in mind. Last update. RIM has failed and not listened to their masses once again.

Airplane mode and app delete. Really? Waiting this long and that is all? I am going to buy the ASUS EEE Transformer today to pacify my need for a more functional system.

I will come back when they do something with this thing. Unless it sells or I break it out of frustration first.
    hehe. i already put my pb to rest weeks ago and already tried nokia e7, and now dell streak 5. not too bad. will try sgs2 sometime next month.
    problem is its difficult to sell pb, second hand price are low. maybe better let it rusting on the shelf, waiting for the ultimate superduper .001 update
    07-19-11 09:44 AM
    If RIM kept the update schedule at every two weeks, like they said they would, this would have been a decent update.
    While I understand where you are coming from, RIM never said they would release updates every two weeks. They said they could release updates every two weeks if needed (we can argue all day whether or not the updates are needed every two weeks), which means that they may release updates more than two weeks apart (as evidenced by this latest update).

Besides, according to Jim Basillie at the recent shareholder meeting, RIM shouldn't be held accountable for what is said. Therefore, even if they did say every two weeks, you shouldn't hold RIM to it. How's that for twisted logic?
    07-19-11 09:46 AM
    Yes I've been waiting for a completed playbook from RIM before I buy one. Since it's taking so long and all the bs that comes along with it I'm starting to think I don't even want a tab anymore and might just get a lighter netbook that can do anything plus more that tabs can not.

I guess tabs are nice for being lightweight smaller web surfers and media consumption devices but aren't much more than that.
    07-19-11 09:49 AM
    The only change in 1.0.7 that I have noticed is "Airplane Mode" under settings. Seriously?
    'nuf said.
    07-19-11 10:44 AM
    airplane mode normally refer to radio version. or maybe this wifi pb already got radio? who knows? it does have PIN isn't it?
    07-19-11 10:50 AM
    thanks RIM for "airplane mode" - I've been waiting for this since I've bought this playbook, 6 months ago... now, I can ride an airplane...

I hope on the next update, RIM includes a "small clock" on the right below corner of the web browser so I don't need to minimize the browser when I want to check the time...
    Last edited by joshua_sx1; 07-19-11 at 12:52 PM.
    07-19-11 12:49 PM
    Not that I want native email and PIM applications but these could be released and if an organization chooses to disallow them for security reasons then an IT policy on the BES is sufficient to disable the installation of any native email and PIM applications on the BlackBerry PlayBook. FIPS certifications has nothing to do with the lack of native email and PIM for those who deem them important applications.
    Of course they can. FIPS, as opposed to other pre-release agency testing, is done on GA product all the time. Depending on the FIPS level (I'm guessing 140), a testing failure would require a software update to units already sold. That is not a gate to product release and would only be an issue to the (relatively) small number of purchasers that require FIPS.

There may be many valid reasons for not shipping native email, but I serously doubt that FIPS (or lack of) is one of them.

wow! so what your both saying, is that a company who provides probably the most secure mobile email system, to many thousands of companys that requires it works to those standards, should go `meh, we dont care about that or you`?? really? just imagine the hit RIMM shares would take if they released an uncertified and unsecure email system!

RIM never ever said the update schedule WAS 2 weeks, they said they could run at up to two weeks, but of course they also said a `steady cadence` and the last one was a month, and this one has been......a month.
    07-19-11 01:00 PM
    An alert-peek swipe (small swipe in from upper left corner of the screen) will show you the time without minimizing the browser.
    He was being sarcastic.
    07-19-11 02:44 PM
    The only change in 1.0.7 that I have noticed is "Airplane Mode" under settings. Seriously?
    There is also pinch zoom in and out in the video app, besides that dont know what else.
    07-19-11 02:57 PM
    BlackBerry PlayBook update brings zip extraction, more storage options for attachments -- Engadget
    Here we go.
    07-19-11 03:10 PM
41 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD