Do you think the PlayBook will sell millions of units like iPad once the OS 2.0 comes out?
    Will it outsell the iPad?
    Last edited by LetmesayOneLastThing; 02-10-12 at 03:13 PM.
    02-10-12 03:11 PM
    1. No way
    2. No way
    02-10-12 03:15 PM
    Not without marketing.
    Not without BBM.
    Not without marketing.
    Not without marking.
    Not without BBM.

Repeat. Err. Repeat. *CRACKLE* REPEAAAAAAAAAAT
    02-10-12 03:15 PM
    of course, Apple will close down as soon as they read here OS2 is out, no question, all Apple users will line up at Best Buy for their PlayBook
    02-10-12 03:21 PM
    Is this a serious question?
    Barljo, sashlon, Rello and 1 others like this.
    02-10-12 03:23 PM
    now that's a good question. but i think apple users will always love their ipads and we will always love our playbooks. eventhough we paid roughly 50% less than they did and the playbook is WAYYY better!!
    alan510 likes this.
    02-10-12 03:26 PM
    I say nope. Not for a couple years yet.
    NursingNinja likes this.
    02-10-12 03:27 PM
    Honestly no. Even though this is a major improvement for the PlayBook it still has a LONG way to go to being a major competitor to android and apple tablets. The lack of apps and productivity tools (not to mention easier user ability) have the PlayBook at a disadvantage. If the PlayBook STARTED OFF with OS 2.0 like software instead of half assed OS 1 then it may have taken a chunk away from the iPad but it didn't and was a learning experience for RIM
    02-10-12 03:31 PM
    Not impossible but highly improbable.
    02-10-12 03:32 PM
    No. More to the point, it won't outsell the iPad 3, either.

HOWEVER, I fearlessly predict the iPad 3 won't meet projections; it's too mild an upgrade over the current generation. It's not totally unrealistic to think that the PlayBook may benefit from that.
    02-10-12 03:34 PM
    It will outsell the iPad2 when the iPad3 comes out. But not until then. It also won't outsell the iPad3. It will take time for the playbook to gain traction to be able to sell like that. Right now, there is so much negative stigma about RIM and the playbook that until they can do some proper marketing and get OS2 into the hands of devs, its not going to be much more than how it is now.
    dan-o-mite likes this.
    02-10-12 03:38 PM
    Nope. Apple is a well oiled marketing machine and really manage to create a buzz around their products. Somehow people do fall for this cause you see how they line up to buy. I mean how many times can a prototype iPhone be lost and then the news hit the internet?
    02-10-12 03:39 PM
    However I should qualify my answer. The Playbook will outsell both the iPad 2 and iPad 3 for users that appreciate value, usability & portability and can find ways to get those things with the current Playbook set up. However, most of the people I know value games, movies, music, certain apps and that all important feeling that they are part of the 'in' crowd which can be credited to Apples marketing genius. Fortunately for both Apple and RIM the world has lots of both types of people.

If RIM can get it's entertainment content on par with Apples and can pick up some key apps, then someday RIM may be a competitor again - but I suspect that day is still a ways away.
    bike2travel likes this.
    02-10-12 03:47 PM
    no. if the price had been right from the start it could have perhaps created the same kind of buzz as the kindle fire, a far inferior tablet, IMO. RIM sent a message with the pricing that they wanted to play with the big boys (iPad), and the market sent the message that the PB just doesn't cut it. If the PB had been marketed from the start as a reasonably priced, reasonably featured alternative to the iPad...well, who knows.

As it is now, any $199 PB is seen as a deeply discounted iPad competitor, not a reasonably priced iPad alternative. One of those you want to buy, the other you do not.
    02-10-12 03:50 PM
    Will the Mongolian National Team win the 2014 FIFA World Cup?
    02-10-12 03:59 PM
    No. More to the point, it won't outsell the iPad 3, either.

HOWEVER, I fearlessly predict the iPad 3 won't meet projections; it's too mild an upgrade over the current generation. It's not totally unrealistic to think that the PlayBook may benefit from that.
    Whose projections are we discussing?

At any rate, I think I've heard this before, and yet it turned out okay. . .

Why It’s Not Worth Upgrading To An iPad 2 ~ LockerGnome

It's funny how I keep reading that the tablet market is still "maturing" and most people don't yet have one, yet the question is often whether it's a sufficient "upgrade." To me, if you've got an iPad 2, probably not, but if you've got the first one or, the horror, NO TABLET AT ALL, whatever they offer will probably be worthwhile if history is any indicator. Meanwhile, RIM has struggled to get even BlackBerry owners to buy PlayBooks. It's not even close, based on the numbers.

As for the PlayBook outselling the iPad, the ratio last quarter was 100 to 1. To me the only real question is whether RIM's entire line of products will ever again outsell the iPad, as last quarter RIM came up about 1 million devices short.
    Last edited by Economist101; 02-10-12 at 04:02 PM.
    02-10-12 04:00 PM
    Do you take drugs?
    02-10-12 04:00 PM
    This thread made me chuckle. Apple's marketing is SO good, they could release anything and put an i in front of it and it would sell like no other. RIM quickly needs to do what Hyundai did and kill the market devices that compares w/other devices at a lower price. I'm so used to the smoothness and the growing of quality apps for the PB that it turns me away from my Torch more and more each day. If the future BB10 phones function as well as the PB, I would be in mobile heaven.
    02-10-12 04:13 PM
    Probably not. But keeping the price at $200 should help. They also need to market the -blam!- out of the Playbook.
    02-10-12 04:17 PM
    This thread made me chuckle. Apple's marketing is SO good, they could release anything and put an i in front of it and it would sell like no other. RIM quickly needs to do what Hyundai did and kill the market devices that compares w/other devices at a lower price. I'm so used to the smoothness and the growing of quality apps for the PB that it turns me away from my Torch more and more each day. If the future BB10 phones function as well as the PB, I would be in mobile heaven.
    Yup, Apple can sell anything. I'm sure that's why they own 10% of the world's computer market.
    kennyliu likes this.
    02-10-12 04:18 PM
    Funny how all of the BB fanboys are steering clear of this thread.

Anyway, the PB is a very good tablet, better than an iPad in my opinion. But, will it outsell ANY version of iPad? Not a chance.

I'd venture to say it wouldn't even outsell the first gen iPad when iPad 3 comes out (that is, if Apple were to continue to produce or even stock iPad 1).

Probability that iPad (2 or 3) is outsold by the playbook (OS2 or not) = [(Apples Market Capitalization/RIM's market capitalization)*1M]:1

= [(460.1B/7.96B)*1M]:1
    = 57,801,508:1

Regardless of what BB fanboys would like to think, Apple does in fact rule the world.
    02-10-12 04:21 PM
    Do you think the PlayBook will sell millions of units like iPad once the OS 2.0 comes out?
    Will it outsell the iPad?
    Seriously? NO! Apple stock nearly hit $500 a share and its market capitalization is $460 billion, more than Microsoft and Google combined. Apple will be releasing the iPad 3 in March and the iPad 2 will still be in demand, especially at a new lower price.

RIM stock value plummeted 75% in less than a year, it keeps procrastinating on OS improvements, and the Playbook prices have dropped from $499 to $199.

These two companies are total opposites. It's inconceivable to believe the Playbook will every outsell the iPad!
    02-10-12 04:22 PM
    Funny how all of the BB fanboys are steering clear of this thread.

Anyway, the PB is a very good tablet, better than an iPad in my opinion. But, will it outsell ANY version of iPad? Not a chance.

I'd venture to say it wouldn't even outsell the first gen iPad when iPad 3 comes out (that is, if Apple were to continue to produce or even stock iPad 1).

Probability that iPad (2 or 3) is outsold by the playbook (OS2 or not) = [(Apples Market Capitalization/RIM's market capitalization)*1M]:1

= [(460.1B/7.96B)*1M]:1
    = 57,801,508:1

Regardless of what BB fanboys would like to think, Apple does in fact rule the world.
    Yeah, but not forever. MS ruled the world before them. The bubble always bursts.
    cherryberrie9 likes this.
    02-10-12 04:25 PM
    If RIM marketed playbook properly after os2 release maybe they have a chance to be a real contender to apple and android. But if they think people will buy playbook by word of mouth PB is done.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    02-10-12 04:35 PM
    For all i know is that usually first thing come to mind when people think of tablet is APPLE IPAD.

Why?
    I don't know
    Maybe it has something to do with the 6-7 billboard within 0.3 mile of each other in the most populated area??
    02-10-12 04:36 PM
97 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD